PDA

View Full Version : Good resources for listening practice?

stufflikethat
December 8th, 2009, 10:37
After taking the JLPT this weekend, I realized that I really need to work on listening. I know just talking to people here is good practice, but after the test, I feel I need something more than that.

I suppose I could try watching TV again. I just wish there were more interesting programs besides watching people go out to eat (and watching the audience react to the people eating).

Anyone have any recommendations? Any good websites for this kind of practice? Any CD's that I can pick up?

UPGRAYEDD
December 8th, 2009, 12:01
What level stuff you looking for?

stufflikethat
December 8th, 2009, 12:12
3kyu.
I might have passed it, but I doubt I'm ready for 2kyu yet.

UPGRAYEDD
December 8th, 2009, 12:56
I'm a big fan of repeated listening of limited content. This means don't waste your time watching TV shows that 1kyu takers couldn't understand. Take some limited content, like a short dialogue, and listen to it over and over again.

Japanesepod101 and textbook audio are good for now. Songs are good too if you make sure you are understanding every line. Enka songs are great, they're soooo slow.

Taurus
December 8th, 2009, 13:10
I'm a big fan of repeated listening of limited content. This means don't waste your time watching TV shows that 1kyu takers couldn't understand. Take some limited content, like a short dialogue, and listen to it over and over again.

Japanesepod101 and textbook audio are good for now. Songs are good too if you make sure you are understanding every line. Enka songs are great, they're soooo slow.

I think this is a good idea too. I would also endorse Japanesepod101 - if you subscribe you get access to transcripts that will help you make sure you understand everything. Other things that I have been repeatedly listening to include some Ghibli films that I have ripped as mp3 files (because you can find exact transcripts of the spoken Japanese here (http://www.geocities.jp/ohmu2rko/)that will help you understand them, and because Omohide Poro Poro is one of my favourite movies), and Ten Nights of Dreams and Rashomon (because I bought this (http://www.anobii.com/books/%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E8%AA%9E%E3%82%92%E8%AA%AD%E3%82%80%E3%81%9F%E3%82%81%E3%81%AE%E4%B8%83%E3%81%A4%E3%81%AE%E7%89%A9%E8%AA%9E_Breaking_into_Japanese_Literature/9784770028990/004fe2398ca2ba2961/)book which contains transcripts and translations. You can get the audio here (http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?id=804) along with a list of other freely available audiobooks and transcripts).

stufflikethat
December 8th, 2009, 13:19
You guys are awesome. Thanks!

Virus FM
December 9th, 2009, 09:32

I agree with this. If you're taking the Clair course, a good thing to do is listen to a track, then read the passage, then read while listening, then just listen, each time trying to develop your "spontaneous" understanding of what you're hearing.

stufflikethat
December 9th, 2009, 10:56
I agree with this. If you're taking the Clair course, a good thing to do is listen to a track, then read the passage, then read while listening, then just listen, each time trying to develop your "spontaneous" understanding of what you're hearing.
not taking the course this year since I wasn't impressed with it last year. I heard that they really improved it though, so maybe I'll give it another chance next year.

Virus FM
December 9th, 2009, 14:56
Also I have to ask another JET but there's someone on youtube who takes news broadcasts and writes out all the Japanese for them elsewhere so you can read along while listening.

stufflikethat
December 9th, 2009, 15:07
Oh nice! Please post it here if you find it

violetessence
December 9th, 2009, 15:41
Maybe it's not the most efficient method, but I am renting movies from the video store, and turning on the Japanese subtitles to read along with the movie. If I don't understand the line at all, I rewind it and pause to read the subtitles, then listen to it again. Easy dramas and World Masterpiece Theater anime (of books I've read) aren't that hard to follow the gist of.

joerenij
July 25th, 2011, 15:39
Listening is good for learning any new foreign languages. So thanks for your nice information. It is very helpful and interesting information.

boxy brown
September 2nd, 2011, 05:43
Also I have to ask another JET but there's someone on youtube who takes news broadcasts and writes out all the Japanese for them elsewhere so you can read along while listening.

Kanaal van Gimmeaflakeman - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/Gimmeaflakeman)

Might not be the person you're looking for, but I know this guy has done some of that. He has a few channels, and it might not be this particular one. He does a fairly rounded selection of Japanese lessons, and some of them are fairly amusing. Hope it's semi-helpful, at least.

Black Cat
September 3rd, 2011, 04:47
Maybe it's not the most efficient method, but I am renting movies from the video store, and turning on the Japanese subtitles to read along with the movie. If I don't understand the line at all, I rewind it and pause to read the subtitles, then listen to it again. Easy dramas and World Masterpiece Theater anime (of books I've read) aren't that hard to follow the gist of.

I totally need to do this, though it is a bit tough here in the States. My listening comprehension even fails me in English sometimes, so the more I make myself listen and know for sure what I was supposed to hear, the better. That's why I always do listening drills. It helps.

ETA: I do think movies are too long, though. The suggestion to repeat small chunks of listening is good because essentially, that's what little kids do.

jwkelley
January 13th, 2012, 11:17
I like Japanese pod 101, but they chat in english to damn much. It was nice at first, made it feel comfortable. but once your in study mode its just Bleh.

There is a blog called effortlessjapanese, it has tpr and tprs style stuff that is slow. The woman speaks slow and precise. It can get boring but you will hear words and phrases repeated many times in different context, vs something like japanese pod 101 where they will normally only repeat a grammar point or vocab 2 or 3 times in a very limited situation.