PDA

View Full Version : Help please! "Speaking our minds"

Miss_igirisu
December 15th, 2009, 11:22
I have to make a 3nensei (JHS) lesson from Total English textbook, and it's basically wanting kids to say "I think ....." For example "I think beds are more convenient than futon". With extra "I agree"s and so on. How am I going to work this?

I was thinking of starting with a worksheet getting kids to choose which they think is better out of some choices (SMAP vs Arashi, Nagoya vs Osaka etc etc) and then maybe sneaking a "because" in there to get them to give reasons...

but then what should I do? How to I get them to have conversations that are still controlled... they can't do much with what is given to them?

Any ideas, I really need help with this.

JackAttack
December 15th, 2009, 17:43
You can put them in a line and have them play an opposites game.

For example...
Student 1: I think futons are better because they don't use much space.
Student 2: I disagree. Futons still need a place on the floor.
Student 3: I don't agree. You can use the floor for other things during the day.
Student 4: I disagree. I think you can keep things under a bed.

etc etc etc

I tried this with my 2nd year SHS students. Put them in a line and started with a "rainy days are the best" statement or something. They really had to think about what to say, but it got them to say some good opinions.

Miss_igirisu
December 15th, 2009, 17:46
Actually I went with this JHS_Textbook_Game_PetBottleDebate (http://jhsenglipediaproject.com/JHS_Textbook_Game_PetBottleDebate.aspx) in the end as you guys were slow. :p