PDA

View Full Version : How do you say...

Miss_igirisu
January 3rd, 2010, 13:38
Ok, here's one that always gets me. How do you say "if you wanted to .... you would have..."

I've attempted this before and failed but just then I wanted to say to somone "if you wanted to see me, you would have come yesterday"

mteacher80
January 3rd, 2010, 14:03
私に会いたかったなら、昨日来ただろうに。

Miss_igirisu
January 3rd, 2010, 14:03
merci. It was the だろう that I missed.

UPGRAYEDD
January 4th, 2010, 06:37
Shouldn't you change it to 会いたがったなら when you're talking about other peeps feelings?

Grimalkin
January 4th, 2010, 08:39
I could be wrong but I always assumed that with verbs you don't need to add that. But for things like happy or sad you need it.

tenderRondo
January 13th, 2010, 08:13
Shouldn't you change it to 会いたがったなら when you're talking about other peeps feelings?

I could be wrong but I always assumed that with verbs you don't need to add that. But for things like happy or sad you need it.

+1

You wouldnt change the conjugation of the verb.

Lego
January 13th, 2010, 09:24

I think when it's you or the person you're talking to, you don't ga-ify it. But if you're talking about a third party, you do.

kamukamuume
January 13th, 2010, 13:16
my guess would be that if you're making a conjecture "if you had wanted to see me..." it's not treated the same as saying "you want to see me."

"aitagatteiru" literally means "(someone) is showing signs of wanting to see (someone else)." If you're saying a conditional as in the example, you aren't making an assertion, so I think the regular form is fine.

mteacher80
January 13th, 2010, 14:15
so does that mean that you all agree with my first translation? cool, i can be helpful sometimes!!

KickOutTheJams
January 17th, 2010, 16:17
Not that I'm disagreeing with you, mteacher80, but I might phrase it like
「(君が)私に会いたかったなら、昨日来てくれれば/来ればよかったのに」

It's not quite as exact as yours but I think the [〜ば...よかった(のに) ] gets across some of the 'wished for' aspect.

I might be wrong, tho