PDA

View Full Version : winter olympics

wry bread
January 18th, 2010, 09:29
JTEs told me basically, "Plan a bunch of things for February after exams, whatever you want." I was thinking something related to the Winter Olympics might be fun for one of them, since it's in Feb and actually relevant to people's lives... but, no clue how to turn this into a lesson basically. For 1nensei SHS students. Any thoughts?

Lilac and Lilies
February 14th, 2010, 08:45
What if you set up a game (reviewing grammar points of the year) but call the events similar to their Olympic names and this can continue through the end of year with a final ceremony and medals and everything.

You could divide your class into teams and have them compete in different events (spelling, translation, sentence formation, etc) and award points for winning teams. If you want or can use the gym a good obstacle course would help with the motivation. This is similar to what i wanted to do, but my students have to finish the textbook instead of having fun after the last test.

Rachel1404
February 15th, 2010, 10:01
I'm currently planning a lesson on this too.

One of my JTEs has suggested I use the song of this olympics by sarah mclachlan and do some kind of gap fill activity - so might do that.

Also I want to do some sort of questionnaire activity so they have to talk to lots of their classmates (instead of just pairs like we normally do) but I'm having trouble thinking of a reason/point/topic for it that is more challenging then the very basic 'what is your favourite sport in the winter olympics and why' kind of thing.

Mine can't be all fun as it will be on their end of term exam. I'm just trying to find the balance between it being a fun lesson and an educational one. Basically, I'm still in need of ideas so let me know what you come up with, please!

Lilac and Lilies
February 15th, 2010, 13:22
Rachel- why don't you make questions about the Olympics relate to covered grammar points:

JHS First years-
What winter sport does _________ play?
What sport did you watch last night?
How many medals does __________ have? (country or person)
Are you a _______ fan?
Give them the questions and have them change partner's for each question. Or see who can ge the most different answers.

JHS Second years-
Use the comparative to build questions
What winter sport do you like best?
What is the most exciting sport?
Which is more difficult- the ice skating or moguls?
Who is taller/ shorter- (olympic athletes)
What country has more medals- (country) or Japan?
Who is older/ younger- (olympic athletes)?
etc- and follow the same formula as above. The right answers don't matter as speaking correct English.

I can't give you any examples for third year's because all i do is listening tests to prepare them for the high school entrance exam.

Hope this helps

JackAttack
February 15th, 2010, 15:53
How many lessons and do you have access to a computer room? You could have the students be like reporters. They can look up information on different athletes from around the world and present to the rest of the class or have the students compile everything into a magazine. But that can take up a lot of time...

Natron
February 16th, 2010, 09:26
Kind of random but does anyone still have the 2008 Beijing Olympics worksheet that was posted for a lesson plan back when this site had a front page. I looked in the "articles" section and searched the forums but couldn't find it. I forgot who made it but I was basically going to change everything to fit with these Olympics.