PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for improvement

Beer Baron
January 22nd, 2010, 06:34
If you have any suggestions for improvement to the site, let me know here.

If you any nagging issues regarding the site that have been bugging you for a while, note it here and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers

WesleyCrusher
January 25th, 2010, 11:17
Just today I have been getting 500 internal server error messages when sending PMs

Beer Baron
January 25th, 2010, 15:37
There were 3 times over the last 6 hours that the server ran out of available database connections. It's probable that this is what you experienced. I'm looking into it.

Beer Baron
January 25th, 2010, 22:24
The server configuration has changed. Let's monitor it over the next few days and see if it improves. If not, let me know.

Neb
January 26th, 2010, 10:14
msnger acting up again, you send an invite and the other person does not receive it... plus the invite box doesnt time out anymore, before, if the person didnt accept after like 15 seconds or something, itd say the receiver was unresponsive or whatever, but now it just keeps pending..waiting for acceptance

WesleyCrusher
January 26th, 2010, 11:12
Glitches from yesterday are gone. Thanks :)

ten_of_spades
January 29th, 2010, 15:37
I've gotten a few of those 500 internal server error messages today + this one which is keeping me from loading AG:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@ithinkimlost.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.2.14 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.14 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_bwlimited/1.4 Server at www.ithinkimlost.com Port 80_-

Beer Baron
January 29th, 2010, 16:46
Can you try now please.

Some changes were made in the last 30-45mins so it may have caused this.

Neb
February 1st, 2010, 09:59
Alright well, it seems to be a problem on my side but, I cant get on this site without going through a proxy for some reason at work. Maybe someone can shed some light as to why it keeps giving me this error:

ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.ithinkimlost.com/

The following error was encountered:

Connection to 213.175.214.19 Failed
The system returned:

(110) Connection timed out. The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again. citywebsite
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generated Mon, 01 Feb 2010 00:40:42 GMT by citywebsite

shibuyadreams
February 2nd, 2010, 13:42
Posted via Mobile Device

shibuyadreams
February 2nd, 2010, 13:46
Still having trouble accessing the site on my laptop at home - ongoing since friday night. (US - east coast) But can access it at work & on my cell no problem. Tried opening the site on both Firefox & Google Chrome; just get an "oops! That link appears to be broken" return from Google. Even tried clearing my cache, history & cookies a few times = no dice. Any suggestions??
Posted via Mobile Device

Ini
February 2nd, 2010, 13:57
I've had no problems so whatever you are doing to keep meelynn, puma and shibuyadreams off the site keep it up.

This kind of enlightened new leadership is a regime I'm willing to get behind

mothy
February 2nd, 2010, 14:32
It's been loading slow for me, but since I just use the site to kill time the slower it goes the more time it kills so I'm alright with that... Especially if, as Ini points out, it keeps some other certain users off... It's a small price to pay.

puma
February 2nd, 2010, 19:48
works from home, not from work.

tcp errors at work, and time outs

also, implement the smiley in my sig. far more useful than so many of the gay ones.

Fyrey
February 3rd, 2010, 01:55
I've had no problems so whatever you are doing to keep meelynn, puma and shibuyadreams off the site keep it up.

This kind of enlightened new leadership is a regime I'm willing to get behind

Collaborating hussy (http://www.theblogofrecord.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/french-civilians-shave-the-head-of-a-woman-accused-of-collaborating-with-the-germans-1944.jpg)

Beer Baron
February 3rd, 2010, 06:46
Give it a week, I think its a DNS issue.

If its still not working then, I'll look into it. I'm in the process of moving into a new house so my internet atm is a 56k dialup on a shitty phoneline.

Ini
February 3rd, 2010, 06:54
you have moved to the Sudan?

mothy
February 3rd, 2010, 12:29
Certain laws are less strict there.

Hikari
February 7th, 2010, 02:32
For some reason, some people have double avatars when I'm viewing threads.

Especially shibs. Shibuyadreams always has her avatar plus miss igirisu's for some reason...

Beer Baron
February 7th, 2010, 03:00
try clearing your cache and reload the page

shibuyadreams
February 7th, 2010, 10:39
Everything seems to work alright now - I can get on the site at home again. Thanks :)

Beer Baron
February 24th, 2010, 05:27
suggestion from newbie forum: irc

Lego
February 24th, 2010, 10:50
When you give someone infraction points, show them the post they got them for.

Hikari
February 24th, 2010, 10:51
suggestion from newbie forum: irc that makes use of the old microsoft comic chat client thing!

Scrotty
February 24th, 2010, 11:17
show the infraction points the post that the infraction points got someone for?

i've just gone cross-eyed

also, OFF-TOPIC POST DELETE BAN INFRACT THREAD LOCKED

Tarquin
February 24th, 2010, 15:23
suggestion from newbie forum: irc

Wasn't this discussed a while back and seen as not the way to go?

Beer Baron
February 24th, 2010, 16:19
Wasn't this discussed a while back and seen as not the way to go?

cant remember, but i like the idea for the time being. might change my mind later tho.

Beer Baron
February 24th, 2010, 16:20

afaik the system already does this. will check it out

dombay
February 25th, 2010, 11:22
afaik the system already does this. will check it out

Are you referring maybe to the inaka thread in applying?

Normally you would be informed but the thread had to be contained quickly so many posts were deleted en masse BEFORE infractions, so less infractions were given in the end. We still have the original posts on record, just that you cannot see them. They were given fairly. In fact it was not a first infraction for anyone. Everyone who was given an infraction knows the rules in applying.

But yes to answer your question normally you will be given that information.

Jordan
February 28th, 2010, 04:29
Are you referring maybe to the inaka thread in applying?

Normally you would be informed but the thread had to be contained quickly so many posts were deleted en masse BEFORE infractions, so less infractions were given in the end. We still have the original posts on record, just that you cannot see them. They were given fairly. In fact it was not a first infraction for anyone. Everyone who was given an infraction knows the rules in applying.

But yes to answer your question normally you will be given that information.Then I would suggest that the moderators reaction was clumsy and ill-thought out. If you felt you needed to regain control immediately to limit problems you lock a thread. You can then read through it, handing out infractions and tidying up at your own pace before re-opening it/posting the conditions of said reopening.

Trying to delete posts and hand out infractions properly (citing the posts correctly etc.) in a live and very busy thread is understandably difficult but you made thing difficult for yourselves.

dombay
February 28th, 2010, 10:36
Then I would suggest that the moderators reaction was clumsy and ill-thought out. If you felt you needed to regain control immediately to limit problems you lock a thread. You can then read through it, handing out infractions and tidying up at your own pace before re-opening it/posting the conditions of said reopening.

Trying to delete posts and hand out infractions properly (citing the posts correctly etc.) in a live and very busy thread is understandably difficult but you made thing difficult for yourselves.

Don't troll applying. No problem.

Lego
March 2nd, 2010, 11:40
Is it me or has the definition of "trolling" expanded to include any post that could be viewed as negative or unsavory? I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure that all of my posts in that thread were made with the intent of explaining to the guy why everyone was flipping out on him. I got a little sarcastic and said that his only recourse was to cry about it, but I'm pretty sure that I didn't say anything inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic. If you have the post, please show it to me.

dombay
March 2nd, 2010, 12:17
The sites rules are at the top of the page in applying. You can find them here:

ITIL JET Programme / Japan Forum - Announcements in Forum : Applying for JET (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/applying-jet/announcements.html)

I'd in particular like to point out that:
"

Posting inflammatory comments (commonly referred to as "trolling"), except in the off-topic forum.

Persistant xenophobia, racism or personal abuse directed at other forum member, except in the off-topic forum."

Is listed as inappropriate and that:

"If you "troll" or are abusive in any of the non-off-topic forums, you will be banned for one week without warning. If you continue to violate forum rules after your returning, we may permanently ban you at our own discretion."

Tarquin
March 2nd, 2010, 16:18
"If you "troll" or are abusive in any of the non-off-topic forums, you will be banned for one week without warning. If you continue to violate forum rules after your returning, we may permanently ban you at our own discretion."

Hang on a minute then, what's the point of infraction points then?
edit: sorry, clarification, I suggest, for the improvement of the site that that specific area be cleaned up a bit, as you go on mentioning infraction points then just go on about one week bans. Whilst this is perfectly acceptable a move to make, it just looks a bit...messy.

(and also, lets be honest, most, if not all of the bans come from Applying compared to other moderated forums, correct?)

Also am I right in thinking that VIP is considered an "off topic" forum as well?
If not then it should be.

word
March 2nd, 2010, 17:49
On a different topic...

When I browse the forum at school, I turn off images and avatars. Makes it look a little less like I'm just fucking off.

When I'm at home, though, I like to turn these back on.

Since I'm lazy, I'm wondering if it would be possible to set this information in a cookie, so that I wouldn't have to go back and change it every time I log on at school?

I'm not particularly concerned about it one way or the other; I just thought I'd ask.

Beer Baron
March 2nd, 2010, 18:07
Interesting idea, not sure how workable it is though. I'm kinda busy at work these days too so it may take a back seat for a while

dombay
March 2nd, 2010, 20:18
Hang on a minute then, what's the point of infraction points then?
edit: sorry, clarification, I suggest, for the improvement of the site that that specific area be cleaned up a bit, as you go on mentioning infraction points then just go on about one week bans. Whilst this is perfectly acceptable a move to make, it just looks a bit...messy.

(and also, lets be honest, most, if not all of the bans come from Applying compared to other moderated forums, correct?)

Also am I right in thinking that VIP is considered an "off topic" forum as well?
If not then it should be.

Its more there as something we can quote. If you look it says that we can do whatever the hell we want as well. Of course, normally we don't because that would be bad. But I think you'd find the rules and conditions on most sites contain something similar to that.

And yep I'm pretty sure VIP is off-topic.

Hikari
March 2nd, 2010, 20:26
But you can't do anything illegal. Someone might be watching you. Just sayin'.

mothy
March 3rd, 2010, 00:14
The sites rules are at the top of the page in applying. You can find them here:

ITIL JET Programme / Japan Forum - Announcements in Forum : Applying for JET (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/applying-jet/announcements.html)

I'd in particular like to point out that:
"

Posting inflammatory comments (commonly referred to as "trolling"), except in the off-topic forum.

Persistant xenophobia, racism or personal abuse directed at other forum member, except in the off-topic forum."
Is listed as inappropriate and that:

How was it then that I was banned but sukoshinihongo wasn't?

First of all I don't believe any of my statements were inflammatory. And while one could possibly say it was off topic to the OP my posts were in direct response to Sukoshinihongo's posts and so to recieve infraction points for that would be rather cambodian, especially considering the age of the OP in that thread.
My posts in that thread did not contain insulting language towards any member of this site. However Mr. Nihongo was blatantly abusive to me. How come he was not "banned for one week without warning" as the rules state. Instead it was I, who responded politely although mildly tongue in cheek, who was banned.
Once again the moderation on this site has proven to be clumsy, ignorant, and petty. You can pretend to hide behind site rules, but anyone who actually followed how this most recent conflagaration took place would be able to tell you that I was blameless and when I reached out my hand in friendship to sukoshinihongo I was slapped at, but I never once responded in a way unbefitting a gentleman.
Just because I did not see eye to eye on every issue with Mr. Nihongo does not mean I was trolling or being in any way inflammatory. I don't think disagreeing is against the Applying Forum rules and that is merely what this was and no action should have been taken against my person.

Its more there as something we can quote. If you look it says that we can do whatever the hell we want as well. Of course, normally we don't because that would be bad. But I think you'd find the rules and conditions on most sites contain something similar to that.

It's actually quite common for rules to be enforced, not enforced, or made up on the spot on this site. Yes most sites have a "we can do what we like" clause to their rules, but this is the only site I have ever taken part in that so frequently imbibed from the heady wine of the "we can do what we like" clause.

Scrotty
March 3rd, 2010, 17:22
When I browse the forum at school, I turn off images and avatars. Makes it look a little less like I'm just fucking off.

When I'm at home, though, I like to turn these back on.

Since I'm lazy, I'm wondering if it would be possible to set this information in a cookie, so that I wouldn't have to go back and change it every time I log on at school?

I'm not particularly concerned about it one way or the other; I just thought I'd ask.
my work browser (a flash drive version of firefox) has images disabled. so if you leave images/avatars on in the site settings, but change your work browser's settings to not load images, you should be ok.

wicket
March 3rd, 2010, 17:27
metinks some peoples take the interwebs waaaaaaaay too seriously.

mothy
March 3rd, 2010, 18:13
You're talking about Paul and Dombay, right? Because I know.

word
March 3rd, 2010, 21:33
my work browser (a flash drive version of firefox) has images disabled. so if you leave images/avatars on in the site settings, but change your work browser's settings to not load images, you should be ok.I like the sound of that, I'll give it a try.

Shankerbelle
March 9th, 2010, 00:48
There are a few links here Applying for the the JET Programme in Japan (http://jet-programme.com/jet_apply.htm#timeline) that link back to this site, which are dead. Yeh, it probably doesn’t matter or maybe nothing that can be done about it, but felt the need to grumble here.

Two that I noticed which im sure were once useful bits of info.

Applicant's FAQ (long version) (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214)
Reviewing the JET Programme application process (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214#3)

Beer Baron
March 9th, 2010, 02:53
yea, its because the board software was upgraded and the link style was changed.

wicket
March 9th, 2010, 05:37
You're talking about Paul and Dombay, right? Because I know.

er no...
ever looked in a mirror?

Shankerbelle
March 9th, 2010, 07:53
yea, its because the board software was upgraded and the link style was changed.

Ah, ok :)

Ini
March 9th, 2010, 08:26
er no...
ever looked in a mirror?

If you say mothy 3 times into a mirror he appears

Hikari
March 9th, 2010, 08:44
If you say mothy 3 times into a mirror he appears

I heard if us little children clap our hands and say we don't believe in TenderRondo, he'll disappear!

mothy
March 9th, 2010, 11:01
er no...
ever looked in a mirror?

Yeah. It's not pretty. But what does my Gollum like appearance have to do with people taking the internet too seriously?

Hikari
March 9th, 2010, 23:10
Bring back coventry as a punishment instead of bans for the more mouthy posters.

Ini
March 10th, 2010, 07:30
hoisted by your own petard

mteacher80
May 31st, 2011, 10:14
Warning: mysqli_query() [function.mysqli-query]: (HY000/1194): Table 'postparsed' is marked as crashed and should be repaired in [path]/includes/class_core.php on line 1173
Database error
The ITIL JET Programme / Japan Forum database has encountered a problem.
Please try the following:
Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
Open the www.ithinkimlost.com home page, then try to open another page.
Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.ithinkimlost.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

mteacher80
May 31st, 2011, 10:15
Warning: mysqli_query() [function.mysqli-query]: (HY000/1194): Table 'postparsed' is marked as crashed and should be repaired in [path]/includes/class_core.php on line 1173
Database error
The ITIL JET Programme / Japan Forum database has encountered a problem.
Please try the following:
Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
Open the www.ithinkimlost.com home page, then try to open another page.
Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.ithinkimlost.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Beer Baron
June 1st, 2011, 04:11
Hey Mark,

Just about to post a new thread explaining what happened

mteacher80
June 7th, 2011, 23:54
thanks!