PDA

View Full Version : A-Level Japanese [UK ppl]

alphie
January 25th, 2010, 09:26
This is my second and final year as a JET and I've aquired around JLPT3 level in my time here (fingers crossed). Most of the corporate jobs I want to apply for require really good a-level results, which I lack, and I'd like to bump this a bit by sitting a Japanese A-level and boost my chances.

Does anyone have an experience of this qualification or know anything about sitting it privately?

Cheers.

Tarquin
January 25th, 2010, 10:01
you can sit any exam privately that you want, check the examining bodies website.
However I don't think that the A-Level is very hard, you'd be better off sticking with JLPT as that's the qualification that they are going to look for on paper.

If you have a degree why are companies looking at your A-Levels (unless they are subject/employment specific?)

alphie
January 25th, 2010, 10:24
The large consultancy firms all seem to look at ALevel grades, a few want AAA and its depressing to think that I'd be excluded from applying based on an A-level result. I know its not a useful qualification but it can't hurt.

Tarquin
January 25th, 2010, 10:47
yeah,
well all you need to do is contact whoever does the exam regarding private entry.

Miss_igirisu
January 26th, 2010, 13:47
A Level Japanese is rather hard. I think AS is like 2kyuu level. GCSE is 3kyuu.
Good luck.

alphie
January 26th, 2010, 19:27
Nah its not quite so bad actually. I'm looking at the Edexcel specs at
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce-leg/lang/Japanese/Pages/default.aspx
The past papers are worth a read! <and the front covers should make you shudder a little>

The vocab and kanji level seems on par with 3kyuu, maybe a little higher, but things like writing and translation are also tested.

The British Council from Tokyo are able to organise things like this it seems. I'll keep this thread updated as I go on.

alphie
January 28th, 2010, 21:15
Update

The British Council in Tokyo can organize this to be sat in June. The application deadline is March for Edexcel. Get this - the cost is like 1man per paper (x2) and a 1man candidate fee. That + transport to tokyo from Kansai is like £400 in total.

Probably not worth it. The exams are still an interesting read though.