PDA

View Full Version : Japanese speech contests

Miss_igirisu
February 1st, 2010, 13:19
Has anyone entered a Japanese speech contest before? There's one on out pref JET website and I wasn't interested innitially but this other JET who's Japanese is about the same as mine got placed 3rd last year in the same thing, so I'm thinking of giving it a go.

Anyone got any advice or stuff like that? I'm trying to think of a typically happy and gay Japanese-y theme, right now I'm thinking along the lines of "I want to be a good gaijin so that kids grow up to not be racist and Japan can become an awesome country".

Lego
February 1st, 2010, 15:58
A guy in my prefecture won a local speech contest last year with a speech that pretty much bashed the typical foreigner in Japan. Be original. You ever listen to ten students talk about how a textbook lesson on Mother Teresa inspired them? Everyone hates that shit, and if you step up and make the same mistake by making a carbon copy speech, I doubt people won't be bored.

Miss_igirisu
February 1st, 2010, 17:27
Hmm ok. Apparently the girl who won last year spoke about how her mum got kidnapped by North Koreans (she was Korean). I need something that is going to be like that.

Virus FM
February 2nd, 2010, 09:49
Summarize and translate a James Bond into Japanese and replace James Bond with "I/me/my". Pick something Sean Connery, of course.

Miss_igirisu
February 2nd, 2010, 10:13
Gahaha! In 7 minutes, that would be awesome...

Amnesia
February 2nd, 2010, 12:31
Hmm ok. Apparently the girl who won last year spoke about how her mum got kidnapped by North Koreans (she was Korean). I need something that is going to be like that.

I'd be happy to kidnap your mum for you

Miss_igirisu
February 2nd, 2010, 13:12
Go for it. If you can put up with her wheezing, then she's all yours.

Crab
February 2nd, 2010, 14:23
Has anyone entered a Japanese speech contest before? There's one on out pref JET website and I wasn't interested innitially but this other JET who's Japanese is about the same as mine got placed 3rd last year in the same thing, so I'm thinking of giving it a go.

Anyone got any advice or stuff like that? I'm trying to think of a typically happy and gay Japanese-y theme, right now I'm thinking along the lines of "I want to be a good gaijin so that kids grow up to not be racist and Japan can become an awesome country".

Maybe you could thank JET for giving you the opportunity to become a sex tourist, and then your methods?

Would certainly make a change to "I love Japan it's kakkoi"

Miss_igirisu
February 2nd, 2010, 21:43
Hmm... I'm thinking no?

Jordan
February 2nd, 2010, 22:39
Maybe instead of "I want to help the kids to be internationally aware blah blah". You could go with things you think the UK could learn from Japan, I say that with zippo experience of Japanese life of course but it might impress. They'll probably get a lot of 'being a model foreigner' speeches.

Miss_igirisu
February 2nd, 2010, 23:00
That's still...

I was thinking of (and this may sound crazy but in my head it works) doing like a narrative from a nature documentary but talking about the various groups of Japanese people and how the react; how they seem from the gaijin's POV.

But I'm thinking maybe all this is too much effort and maybe I should just go back to being lazy with my stuidying again...

Jordan
February 2nd, 2010, 23:43
That's still...

I was thinking of (and this may sound crazy but in my head it works) doing like a narrative from a nature documentary but talking about the various groups of Japanese people and how the react; how they seem from the gaijin's POV.

But I'm thinking maybe all this is too much effort and maybe I should just go back to being lazy with my stuidying again...
This would certainly be funny to my mind but two things strike me. They may not get the joke and even if they do they may be insulted by the animal parallel. You'll know better than I how 'up for a laugh' your average Japanese person is.

Perhaps it'd be safer to do something comical in the style of a greek myth about foreigners. How they breathe fire, are 100 feet tall, that you should lock up your daughters and paint a red cross on the door to avoid them etc.

Miss_igirisu
February 3rd, 2010, 07:58
Ooh I like it.

Still not sure if I can be arsed to do all this though. I have a pre-made speech on international realtionships in Japan but I don't think that would be what they want either.

wicket
February 3rd, 2010, 08:29
When I did it my theme was basically "If you don't make mistakes you don't make anything" and the central story was the oft-told one of when I was in high school living as an exchange student in Kanazawa. I had a self-introduction prepared, with info about my home, family etc. but when the teacher checked it she said to use "ha ha" and "chi chi" instead of "okaasan" and "otoosan" when referring to my own parents. so fine, no worries. except i went on and on about how my dad is really big and looks scary but is actually kind of soft and gentle...

and yeah, i said "chin chin" instead of "chi chi". like 7 times.*

the speech went over well and i came 2nd. have you got a funny story about a mistake you've made or an assumption a japanese person has made about you/your country?

*for those who've just started studying, chin chin is cock.

wicket
February 3rd, 2010, 08:30
forgot to say, japanese people know all about david attenborough, so a mockumentary style speech could be good.

Miss_igirisu
February 3rd, 2010, 09:06
I think maybe a mokumentary about gaijin would be kinda fun... do the otaku type, the type that has all the japanese girls after him, the kanji obsession type... it's only 7 minutes so I think it could be done. I think I really want to go for a comic themed one and be a little different.

*edit but yours sounds cool Wicket. I don't have anything funny like that though. Except when I said "私はシャーロットと思います" instead of "と思うします"

Crab
February 4th, 2010, 14:29
I think maybe a mokumentary about gaijin would be kinda fun... do the otaku type, the type that has all the japanese girls after him, the kanji obsession type... it's only 7 minutes so I think it could be done. I think I really want to go for a comic themed one and be a little different.

*edit but yours sounds cool Wicket. I don't have anything funny like that though. Except when I said "私はシャーロットと思います" instead of "と思うします"

How about the white girl who chases Japanese guys?

Alphabet
February 4th, 2010, 18:14
This is the NHK one, yeah? I was thinking of trying for it. My Japanese isn't so great, but I like to challenge myself. I was thinking of doing it about gokons and ikemen. Not very academic, but maybe done as a BBC mini doc style, but in the end just being silly or something.

Miss_igirisu
February 4th, 2010, 18:44
It's this one 英語・英会話学校(新宿・東京)日米会話学院,(財)国際教育振興会 (http://www.nichibei.ac.jp/)
That sounds really cool! I think it'd be cool to teach them how things look from our point of view, like the gokons and stuff.

I want to do it because my accent sucks, but my speeches at uni were always quite good. I want to have the chance to practice again, and give me a challenge.

jeamz.zeez
March 19th, 2010, 20:20

大家好
我有很多的书就靠在中文
如果它有一个下午,我想

Nixxx
March 24th, 2010, 21:25
Miss Irigisu - what level is your japanese at and your friend's level? Any ideas of how many people compete in this competition? I agree, it would be a great challenge but think it would be interesting to participate.

I'm interested in applying for the 2011 one depending on what level of Japanese you would need....

Shirokuma
March 25th, 2010, 16:23
We had to do speeches at the end of an intensive class at ARC school.
I hated it because all of my class bailed and our teacher was so embraced that I had to do a speech or she would look bad. My choice of topic was not great for the audience but was personal for me at the time.

THe girl who won was from China and basically complained in a cute way how things in Japan are not like things in China. I thought that was terrible but I guess that is what they are used to hearing.

Alphabet
March 30th, 2010, 12:27
We had to do speeches at the end of an intensive class at ARC school.
I hated it because all of my class bailed and our teacher was so embraced that I had to do a speech or she would look bad. My choice of topic was not great for the audience but was personal for me at the time.

THe girl who won was from China and basically complained in a cute way how things in Japan are not like things in China. I thought that was terrible but I guess that is what they are used to hearing.

It must have been rigged. The real SPIRIT of Japanese is to fucking GAMAN, all day, every day, regardless of how stupid a situation it is.

Totally doing a speech about the hole in my heart for REAL AMERICAN BURGERS next year.