PDA

View Full Version : Wanna tell my kids off

puma
February 2nd, 2010, 17:09
After another day of fucking muri muri disrespectful whiners, i want to start bitching at these kids a little sharper, so help me out

1) "quit whining”

dada wo konenai yo

駄々を捏ねないよ

2) "immature, arent you?"

otonagenai na?

大人げないな

3) "what are you, 10 years old? grow up"

no idea

4) "youre being really rude and really disrespectful"

anata ha meccha bureide, fukei na?

あなたはめっちゃ無礼で、不敬な?

yay/nay?

cm2jr4
February 2nd, 2010, 20:04
If you do it in English, you can be as sharp as you want; the kids wont fully understand, but they will know to shut up.

puma
February 2nd, 2010, 20:34
nah, they dont, they just think its funny when i get visibly angry. im sure ill get laughed at doing it in japanese, but at least they will get the point

FiercestCalm
February 2nd, 2010, 20:51
nah, they dont, they just think its funny when i get visibly angry. im sure ill get laughed at doing it in japanese, but at least they will get the point

Yeah, just make sure you do it in perfect Japanese if you do, otherwise they get to ignore what you're saying and laugh at your Japanese.

jandek
February 3rd, 2010, 08:51
"what are you, 10 years old? grow up"

ほら、10歳になったばかりかい、おまえ?勘弁してくれよ。

meh.

Taurus
February 3rd, 2010, 10:01
Why don't you just try copying them, in a silly voice. It has worked for me whenever kids are shouting abuse at me, saying stupid stuff or just whining. The other kids laugh and the offender either copies me back (at which point I copy them back) or get embarrassed and shuts up.

kamukamuume
February 3rd, 2010, 10:07
Why don't you just try copying them, in a silly voice. It has worked for me whenever kids are shouting abuse at me, saying stupid stuff or just whining. The other kids laugh and the offender either copies me back (at which point I copy them back) or get embarrassed and shuts up.

aye, there's the rub. but there are always JTEs who feel that the kids acting up is always, always a cry for "please do more interesting/funny things, mongkut-teacher!" and so reprimanding them is unacceptable.

what a harsh path we tread.

Taurus
February 3rd, 2010, 10:16
Weirdly, though, my JTEs seem to laugh too, if I copy the kids - or at least they don't seem to mind. My wife suggested it to me when I was moaning about one of my annoying kids who just kept shouting out and copying me all the time. She reckons that copying people is a pretty staple part of Japanese comedy and told me I should just copy him back. I thought it seemed like bullying, but gave it a try and it has really worked.

UPGRAYEDD
February 3rd, 2010, 11:50
Don't translate from English. Those phrases might sound really weird in Japanese. Like the immature one. You're saying something more along the lines of "you're not an adult".....Of course they're not adults.

I'd learn some crazy mean gutter style speak in the local dialect. Ask the girl.

Shirokuma
February 16th, 2010, 17:11
I like the idea of copying them back, it does work.

bukka yarou works too (too strong to use at work maybe)
my wife's favourite is "a-ho tare" and the "buka, kaba"

aka-chan works for the whiners. Also I used to hear the girls saying to the crying boys, something about "you still such your mother's breast" anata madamada paipai nomu

Crab
February 16th, 2010, 17:24
Baka yarou means, like "you fucking idiot", I really wouldn't suggest using that or ahou, just my opinion.

I spoke to one of my teachers today about a similar thing, and he said if you do this it's still classed as corporal punishment (体罰, for the curious) and you'll have the monster parents (lol) breathing down your neck.

Shirokuma
February 16th, 2010, 17:30
Baka yarou means, like "you fucking idiot", I really wouldn't suggest using that or ahou, just my opinion.

I spoke to one of my teachers today about a similar thing, and he said if you do this it's still classed as corporal punishment (体罰, for the curious) and you'll have the monster parents (lol) breathing down your neck.

True enough, avoid the monster parents like the plague cause they are usually dumb as stumps. They are the kind of people who assume because there is a NET in the class the kids should be fluent immediately, same kind of people send their 6 month old kids to baby english classes.

I was thinking that "kon yarou" is stronger than "bukka yarou" I still tend to swear at people in English, mostly stupid drivers.

Crab
February 16th, 2010, 17:38
kono yarou (このやろう)translates to bastard/son of a bitch, but with baka attached to me it seems stronger.

Anyway we've decided it's best not to use Japanese anyway. I really feel sorry for teachers here, their hands are tied. One teacher said to me "I really wish Japanese teachers were still allowed to hit their students".

Shirokuma
February 16th, 2010, 17:43
Thanks for the tip, seems I am too far into the redneck zone of Japan. Poor language skills.....

It is actually only pretty recently that they stopped hitting students here. One place I was working which did dispatch about 8 years ago, they were still allowed to throw things at them or hit them with blackboard brushes.

I know the kindergardens and daycare centres can still be rough. It might depend on the area a whole lot too.

Crab
February 16th, 2010, 17:52
Things would be so much better if they had some kind of deterrent. The kids know they can sleep in class or preen their hair and stupid shit like that, they need something to scare them into learning.

patjs
February 17th, 2010, 18:41
i've heard teachers say kono yarou or yarou but never once have I heard baka yarou (in school at least)... I think if a teacher told you that using that kind of language can get THEM in trouble, it's probably not the best idea for an unlicensed ALT to be pulling out that language.

I Am Quailman
February 17th, 2010, 19:11
you can call them クズ aka the scum at the bottom of the trashcan. A teacher once told me it's like the strongest thing you can call someone... although i wouldnt do that at school unless its your last day...

"クズ!! YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF クズ!!!"

kamukamuume
February 17th, 2010, 20:59
you can call them クズ aka the scum at the bottom of the trashcan. A teacher once told me it's like the strongest thing you can call someone... although i wouldnt do that at school unless its your last day...

"クズ!! YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF クズ!!!"

dude all you'd do is get onizuka to shoot in and give you a flying sidekick to the FACE.

Scrotty
February 17th, 2010, 22:12
dude all you'd do is get onizuka to shoot in and give you a flying sidekick to the FACE.
kingmongkut, i'm pretty sure you and i can be friends

puma
February 17th, 2010, 23:27
Things would be so much better if they had some kind of deterrent. The kids know they can sleep in class or preen their hair and stupid shit like that, they need something to scare them into learning.

a big fat "F" would be an amazing thing

Oneiro
February 18th, 2010, 14:44
One of the JTEs here uses A LOT of really intimidating language against the students. Not just to be a dick, but to gain authority and respect amongst the students. I don't think I've ever heard him say "yarou" but he invariably addresses everyone with "Omae," rolls his Rs, switches his "nai"s to "nei" and he's is not above putting kids in a joking choke-hold. Usually much less rough with the girls physically but just as tough verbally.

For my part, I follow suit. When I teach at Elem as well, I am given full reign to smack a kanchoing jerk in the head to tell that shit don't fly and no one bats an eye.

WesleyCrusher
February 18th, 2010, 16:08
I can't imagine you hitting children Oneiro

Lego
February 18th, 2010, 16:17
I can't imagine you hitting children Oneiro

I don't hit my kids. I tap them.

WesleyCrusher
February 18th, 2010, 16:21
I pull the sensitive hairs on the backs of their necks when I'm in a foul mood. Otherwise I just hit them lightly with notebooks.

^ Those are to discipline kids who are sleeping in class

I Am Quailman
February 18th, 2010, 16:55

Onizuka!

kingmongkut, i'm pretty sure you and i can be friends

Me too!

jandek
February 18th, 2010, 17:14
I am doing a workshop for Tokyo Orientation in July, and we are just watching clips from the GTO live action drama, because that prepared me more for being an ALT than any other experience in my life.

I cannot count the number of times i have had to dangle disrespectful highschool students off rooftops to stop いじめ, and i have only been here for 2 semesters. Also, my homeroom kids are always coming over to my apartment and making me go to karaoke when i just want to pursue a topsy-turvy romantic relationship with my attractive, yet not as outspoken, JTE. Also my power hungry 教頭先生 is always ruining my lesson plans and trying to get me fired, but he made up for himself when he got all liquored up and chained his body to the school in order to stop the bulldozer.

crayon
February 18th, 2010, 23:21
I am doing a workshop for Tokyo Orientation in July, and we are just watching clips from the GTO live action drama, because that prepared me more for being an ALT than any other experience in my life.

I cannot count the number of times i have had to dangle disrespectful highschool students off rooftops to stop いじめ, and i have only been here for 2 semesters. Also, my homeroom kids are always coming over to my apartment and making me go to karaoke when i just want to pursue a topsy-turvy romantic relationship with my attractive, yet not as outspoken, JTE. Also my power hungry 教頭先生 is always ruining my lesson plans and trying to get me fired, but he made up for himself when he got all liquored up and chained his body to the school in order to stop the bulldozer.Best post ever.

ohheythere
February 19th, 2010, 22:19
Today, for the first time in my 7 months here, I saw a teacher discipline a student with something other than a half-assed "urusai..." An incredibly troublesome elementary school 6th-year refused to stop chatting it up with his friends during our joint lesson, and both the Japanese teacher and I told him to shut up a few times, and each time he would either mimic the teacher or me. At the fourth occurence, the teacher stampeded over to the kid, made him stand up, took him to the front of the class, made him stare him straight in the eye, and unleashed a torrent of quiet, deadly, Japanese that I could barely decipher (he was talking so quietly), and then made him apologize to the entire class, to him, and then TO ME. The first time, he didn't look at me, so while he was staring at his feet, I bent down, and did the two fingered "EYES, HERE" to my face thing (god, that was great - and the teacher smiled). The rest of the kids were in awe - it seemed to earn both of us a lot of respect points.

Oneiro
February 20th, 2010, 10:06
Meelynn - I've only actually full-force smacked a kid in the back of the head. That was for a mid-class attempted kancho. When I saw him about to tear up something fierce, I immediately changed my tune to "Hey buddy, c'mon now, you don't need that right man?" The HRT was completely behind me.

Just yesterday though, I had a very disruptive class. Nobody was listening (It was 5th period on a Friday to be fair) and me and the JTE just weren't in the mood to yell over or at anyone anymore.

We just clammed up and, since the JTE is very fluent, just let out a "I'm very disappointed in you guys" speech which she faithfully interpreted for me. Just before the students walked out the door, they, one by one, all burst into a little chorus of earnest little "I'm sorry!!"s After they shuffled out me and JTE were almost busting out laughing at just how damn effective it was.

Virus FM
February 22nd, 2010, 12:34
Apparently チンカス is one of the worst things you can call someone/say out loud. It means "smegma". Literally it's made of the words for penis and the small bits of bread crumbs that cling to each other when you deep fry something. I know Japanese people who say "There's no bad words in Japanese" and then you mention that and their jaws drop to the ground.

visualanguage
February 23rd, 2010, 00:00
_

Crab
February 23rd, 2010, 00:03
Meelynn - I've only actually full-force smacked a kid in the back of the head.

You must have weak arms, If I hit a child in the back of the head full-force, their eyes would come out.