PDA

View Full Version : Portland JETS

colleenyb
May 19th, 2004, 02:05
I was wondering if anyone on the Portland short-list knows any details about an orientation in June/seminars/language classes, etc.? I was an alternate who was upgraded a couple of weeks ago so I don't know if I missed an e-mail with pertinent info sent out to people on the short-list by the consulate. It seems like the SF consulate is offering a lot for JETS, so I was just wondering if the Portland consulate is offering anything similar. Any info would be appreciated. I can't wait to meet you all! Thanks!

Colleen

colleenyb
May 28th, 2004, 03:06
ummm, so noone has responded to this which makes me think I'm the only Portland JET on this website. In case I'm not, has any one else in Portland gotten their placement yet? I'm expecting to get mine a little late seeing as I an upgraded alternate, but my friend who was short-listed right away hasn't heard anything yet either.

Also, I think our first orientation is June 19th- at least that's what it says on the JETAA Portland website (which is neither updated or fully functioning).

anyone with info? Ariggato!

justhis1nce
May 28th, 2004, 03:14
Try calling Tim at the consulate - his phone number is on the Portland consulate website. I applied through Portland, was short-listed, and got my placement on the 24th from my BOE in Japan. I haven't received anything in the mail since my short-list letter (I'm leaving through San Francisco instead of PDX). I had to call the SF consulate to find out what was happening down here in re: to orientation stuff. Tim can tell you what's going on, and maybe even your placement. Good luck!

colleenyb
May 28th, 2004, 03:31
Thanks for the advice. I'll give Tim a call sometime next week if I don't hear from the BOE by then. Good luck in Kobe!

justhis1nce
June 2nd, 2004, 04:31
I got a packet from the Portland consulate today that has the visa application and seminar/orientation information (it also has the Canadian JETAA handbook on a CD - weird...). So if you haven't gotten it yet, you will soon!

colleenyb
June 2nd, 2004, 07:24
Hi! Thanks, I received that packet on Saturday. I hadn't looked at the CD yet- that's odd that it's the Canadian one. I saw that online once. It suggested bringing lots of stuff pertaining to maple syrup...

Anyway, my placement is still undetermined, most likely because I am an upgraded alternate. The letter said I'll be notified in early June. I can't wait to find out.

Are you going to the SF orientation or the Portland one June 19th?

Thanks again!

Cheers, Colleen

yangu
June 3rd, 2004, 00:30
I am an alternate ALT that applied through the Portland consulate. I was just wondering how you were notified? Did they call you at home, or send you an email?

colleenyb
June 3rd, 2004, 01:37
Hi Yanga,

Tim at the Consulate called me on my cell phone to notify me on May 7th.

Hang in there though because some people might reject the position after they find out their placement.

Also, there are plenty of other opportunities to teach English in Japan that I was looking into when I found out I was an alternate like NOVA or Aeon.

Good Luck!

Colleen

WabiSabi-san
June 10th, 2004, 21:34
Hey colleenyb,

Have you found out your placement yet? I got mine (Sapporo) a little over a week ago but was out of the country till a day or two ago. Think I'll be hitting the June 19th gig & a few of those JETAA Nihongo courses, too.

Grats to all Portlanders who made it & hang in there for those who are still waiting! 8)

colleenyb
June 22nd, 2004, 08:24
Hey Wasabi-san,

Sorry to reply so late. The orientation was this past Saturday, so I'm assuming you were there. I remember talking to a guy who is placed in Sapporo during the first break. Was that you? I'm Colleen (obviously) and I've been placed in Osaka-fu, Neyagawa-shi. I'm going to be taking the Nihon-go classes starting this Wednesday. Any idea where that building is located on PSU campus?

Are you placed in Sapporo-shi? If so, one of my best friends, Rosemary, who is currently in Hawaii is placed there so you will meet her. She's great. Make sure she doesn't get too cold!

See you at the Japanese lessons. If I can find the building on time!

WabiSabi-san
June 22nd, 2004, 09:23
Yep, 'twas me! Pretty cool that all you L&C grads got in JET together. E-mailed Rosemary yesterday about meeting you & Sherry(?). Will have to teach her to ski or get her 'boarding so I have someone to fall down the mountain with.

I'm not exactly sure where the nihongo class is at PSU. You could always try e-mailing Beth or Keiko for more details. I'm going to miss the first lesson this Wed as I'm going up to Port Angeles for a few days to spend some time w/ the g-folks & say sayonara. But I'll see you next week!

Nice placement, btw. :wink:

colleenyb
June 23rd, 2004, 07:39
Hey, that's cool we met. I'm sure Rosemary would love to have someone teach her how to ski!

I figured out where the Japanese lessons are. They are in the Graduate Education and Business administration building, room 270. The building is located between 6th and 7th, and Montgomery and Harrison. Oh, and on the flyer they handed out at the orientation it says that the classes are from 6-7:30, but Beth corrected that in an e-mail, saying that they are from 6:30-8. See you in class next week!