PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone reccomend a textbook?

Oonter
February 13th, 2010, 20:46
I took a Jap class a few years back and we used JAPANESE FOR BUSY PEOPLE.

It was ok but my only complaints were that the book seemed outdated, had only romaji, and centered around business.

After that I self-studying on and off, I came to Japan, studied kanji, attempted the JLPT Lvl3 and passed with 69%.

I went to the book store and looked through some Minna No Nihongo. I honestly didn't know which one to pick up. Some of the material in the ones I looked through seemed too elementary. I'm looking to patch up things I missed on the test and work towards Level 2. But I don't want to study solely off of JLPT guidebooks like I did last year. Just want focus on developing vocab, grammar, reading, writing, speaking etc...

anyway.... suggestions?

kamukamuume
February 14th, 2010, 00:00
I took a Jap class a few years back and we used JAPANESE FOR BUSY PEOPLE.

It was ok but my only complaints were that the book seemed outdated, had only romaji, and centered around business.

After that I self-studying on and off, I came to Japan, studied kanji, attempted the JLPT Lvl3 and passed with 69%.

I went to the book store and looked through some Minna No Nihongo. I honestly didn't know which one to pick up. Some of the material in the ones I looked through seemed too elementary. I'm looking to patch up things I missed on the test and work towards Level 2. But I don't want to study solely off of JLPT guidebooks like I did last year. Just want focus on developing vocab, grammar, reading, writing, speaking etc...

anyway.... suggestions?

genki 1 and 2 are excellent, in my experience. however, if you passed level 3, I'd think you would be ready to move onto authentic material at this point.

how about genki 2 to supplement your current knowledge, then drilling yourself on kanji and vocab? sounds boring, but 2kyu and 1kyu both require lots of raw knowledge that eventually necessitate rote memorization in some capacity.

aside from those, how about watching dramas/movies and reading japanese books? stuff by hoshi shinichi is pretty interesting, and you could probably tackle it by this point.

enigmaneo
February 15th, 2010, 10:39
I'm a Minna No Nihongo fan, but Genki and Minna No Nihongo basically go over the same things.

Amnesia
February 15th, 2010, 20:02
I'd second the positive comments about Genki although they get pretty dull from the intermediate book onwards

Virus FM
February 16th, 2010, 14:02
JAPANESE FOR BUSY PEOPLE

If you are a busy person
you should not study Japanese.

This isn't directed towards you, just, I think the name of that book is pretty oxymoronic in a way.

There's another thread floating around where everyone really picks apart all the options.

Tarquin
February 16th, 2010, 19:58
I used Minna no Nihongo at Uni and then Genki when studying abroad (as the professors there wrote the damn thing) I preferred Minna no Nihongo personally but it's more personal. I liked the structure more!