PDA

View Full Version : SCUBA Divers!

Bron
May 19th, 2004, 12:35
Just wondering if there are any other divers out there planning on exploring Japan from under the water??
I got my open water ticket in 2002 and don't own my own gear, but will go diving whilst in Japan for sure, and I need a buddy :)

I'd also be looking to get a housing unit for my vid cam, if I can find one relatively cheap.

Just saw a doco on tv last night (on ABC in Oz) about this huge 300m monument off Yonaguni Is. (Okinawa) which looks amazing, there's a theory it could be an 'atlantis' of a lost civilization and is older than the pyramids!

B

Dulcinea
May 19th, 2004, 13:20
i've never been scuba diving, but i'd like to learn. maybe Japan will be the place to do it.

Lia
May 19th, 2004, 17:07
hiya Bron!
i got my Paddy in 2002, your home country actually, Airlie Beach QLD. I was working out there on a dive boat for 6 months and am DYING to do some more diving, i miss it so much!
I dont have any of my own gear either. Where abouts in Oz are you from?

i'm definately up for some diving in Japanese waters
Hopefully see u out there :)
Lia xx

Libbaq
May 20th, 2004, 04:34
I have been certified for about 11 years, and have Advanced and Rescue Diver certifications too. I do own my equipment, but I don't think I'll be bringing it... it's way too heavy and I allready have too much stuff. I would love to dive with y'all though!

adammoogle
May 20th, 2004, 05:04
well ain't that just super!! ;)

no, i jest

i'm only jealous cos i took the paddy course while i was holidaying in the maldives and never completed it, mostly die to the fact i was in paradise and not enjoying it 2 metres under water as someone turned my air off and left me there gasping for a minute, or the fact that u had to take your mask off and swim :( all the air bubbles went up my nose :cry:

still, i wish i had got it, was beautiful swimming round the corals there, kept up with the scuba diving and swam with turtles and eagle rays which was fantastic but not the same as real diving

anyone know the chances (and cost) of learning in japan????

VinceXII
May 22nd, 2004, 06:30
Bron (and any one else interested in SCUBA):

I'm not yet certified, though I've been SCUBAing a few times. I plan on getting my SCUBA cert before heading to Japan, though, because I found out this week about my placement in Okinawa. Now I'm really excited about taking up SCUBA as a serious hobby.

Many of the JETs there have become avid divers and have even gone on to get SCUBA instructor certs while in Oki. I'm very excited to start exploring the many islands of Okinawa-ken.

If you are interested in taking a few days in Okinawa and are looking for a place to stay, I would gladly offer up my apartment to anyone who is looking to check out the local SCUBA scene. Of course, by that time I should have a good idea of the best places to go and how to get there. There are also many other JETs there that I'm sure would do the same, and I could help set you up with someone near your intended dive site.

Keep in touch and let me know if you're interested in some Okinawan diving next year!

-V12

Bron
May 22nd, 2004, 09:26
Cheers V12, I'll do that :)
Okinawa will be brill, and I do plan on heading down that way for sure sometime so I'll let you know.
When I got my cert, I had a cold so it wasn't the best, and actually a little dangerous...but somehow I managed ok. it just makes things unpleasant so look after y/self if you're going to get it!

morikyd
May 22nd, 2004, 16:04
I've only been able to go diving a couple of times since I got certified a couple of years ago. I am really looking forward to diving some more. Your offer is really generous V12!
I suspect I am going to end up in the mountains of Nagano. So if you ever want to go sking, I maybe, tentatively, possibley will be the girl to call. :)

Canuck
May 23rd, 2004, 03:55
So do you have to have a certificate in order to try diving? I've never done it before, but I'd love to give it a try if I ever get to Okinawa! I was looking at some of the diving-type vacations they have on jetsetjapan.com and it looks pretty damn keen!

Bron
May 23rd, 2004, 11:51
No you don't have to have a cert, you can do a day dive with a team, but you just won't be qualified to dive by y/self. Actually I'm not sure if the day dives include an open water dive w/o a cert, maybe it's only confined to a pool dive (??) But you can always try it out this way, and then see if you like it and go on to get your cert. Chances are if you try it you will love it!

WuTAN
May 23rd, 2004, 17:24
scuba diving is on my 'to-do' list while i'm in japan. i've never done it before and would really like to try it, especially if it's at Okinawa! :D
i can't swim very well.. will that be an issue?

Cantdosleepflower
May 23rd, 2004, 21:13
I saw a sea turtle once.

adammoogle
May 23rd, 2004, 21:26
me too!!! :D

but it obviously wasn't a very social turtle as it swam away with surprising speed

Cantdosleepflower
May 23rd, 2004, 21:44
Yeah, they're fast bastards, aren't they? Same with tortoises actually. If they see some lettuce (or a delicate finger) they've got quite a scoot on them.

Dave
May 23rd, 2004, 21:45
Sea turtles eat lettuce? Wow! I had no idea :?

Cantdosleepflower
May 24th, 2004, 00:58
No, sea turtles eat the fresh brains of Daves.

morikyd
May 24th, 2004, 17:02
Hey Wutan-
Well, to get certified you will have to be able to swim a certain amount of laps consecutively. I dont remember how many, but you can go as slowly as you need to. That being said, when you are actually diving its basically a matter of regulating your buoancy so that breathing and a few gentle kicks will take you where you want to go. It is important that you feel relaxed in the water though, so in that sense being a "good" swimmer is important. But really, you should just be competant and comfortable not a super swimmer. Thats my beginners take anyway, sorry itf I have rambled, I'm pretty sleepy.
Mori

WuTAN
May 24th, 2004, 17:15
Thanks for the input morikyd, i appreciate it!
i'll definately put in a few swimming sessions down at the local sports centre to improve. I'll be bugging any proficient JETs that are located near me to give me some free lessons! heheh

Bron
June 1st, 2004, 15:50
For those thinking of learning while in Japan, this is from the lonely planet guide:

Beginner courses are avail in Ishigaki and Iriomote Is, cost starts at ~80,000yen, and instruction's usually in japanese, so they suggest learning at home or Thailand if you can.
Typical rates are 12,000yen per day for 2 boat dives and lunch

Cantdosleepflower
June 1st, 2004, 20:28
I'm the most ridiculously dense person I know. Even without any weights on my belt, I still had trouble not sinking to the bottom. Must be, um, big-boned, I guess.

Bron
June 1st, 2004, 23:07
I always get 'floaty feet' when I dive. For some weird reason, this only seems to affect women, and not men!

abunaidave
June 8th, 2004, 00:07
Gday.

I don't scuba dive at the moment, but I have a feeling I'm going to learn how to fairly quickly... I'm placed on Yoron, which is about 22km north of Okinawa. Although I have no idea of my accomodation at the moment, I'll issue an open-invite to any people that want to come for some diving. Looks like a beautiful island.

http://www4.ocn.ne.jp/~yoronggg/main/gyogyou-1.html

Assuming that is actually Yoron of course, I can't read any kanji, so I'm just guessing here. ^_^

Dave.

Sinbad
June 8th, 2004, 18:28
I've never been scuba diving, but have been wanting to try it for ages. Japan will be my chance.... only problem is that I've been placed in Fukui, (Chubu).... anyone know where the nearest potential diving spots would be?