PDA

View Full Version : Help me wast 30mins doing special needs!

lazarus
March 3rd, 2010, 12:06
Is it possible to make Easter eggs in Japan? I have a special needs class, and I was thinking of doing a short lesson on Easter then a small activity at the end of class to kill the last 30mins.

I guess I'd have to buy some dye (it in the cooking section at the supermarket?), eggs (boil them), and some sharpies, stickers, etc.....

Normally do you just let the kids get all nuts and go to town writing on them? I want to make a nice one to show them what it should look like.. But then they can do whatever they want on theirs.

I think it's easy to do, but need to hunt down some cooking/colouring dyes. Anyone able to chime in on where to look or how to ask for cooking dye?

vertigo_stick
March 3rd, 2010, 12:42
Is it possible to make Easter eggs in Japan? I have a special needs class, and I was thinking of doing a short lesson on Easter then a small activity at the end of class to kill the last 30mins.

I guess I'd have to buy some dye (it in the cooking section at the supermarket?), eggs (boil them), and some sharpies, stickers, etc.....

Normally do you just let the kids get all nuts and go to town writing on them? I want to make a nice one to show them what it should look like.. But then they can do whatever they want on theirs.

I think it's easy to do, but need to hunt down some cooking/colouring dyes. Anyone able to chime in on where to look or how to ask for cooking dye?

You can get them from FBC (foreign buyers club) or possibly more cheaply, have someone send you them from abroad.

I've never done this with kids but I think letting them do whatever they want is the best call. :)

lazarus
March 3rd, 2010, 13:12
Cool, thanks for that info.

Unfortunately I'm doing the lesson tomorrow. So I guess I will check out FBC for next time. :(

Guess worse case scenario is the kids can just draw on white boiled eggs, then I give them some chocolate to wire them up for the next teacher. Lesson ends in fun being had by all!

FiercestCalm
March 3rd, 2010, 13:15
If not, you could always just print out a picture of an egg and have them draw on it!

vertigo_stick
March 3rd, 2010, 13:17
Cool, thanks for that info.

Unfortunately I'm doing the lesson tomorrow. So I guess I will check out FBC for next time. :(

Guess worse case scenario is the kids can just draw on white boiled eggs, then I give them some chocolate to wire them up for the next teacher. Lesson ends in fun being had by all!

maybe you could get some acrylic paint or something, and have them paint designs?

lazarus
March 3rd, 2010, 13:24
I would do paper, but they draw all the time. I thought I'd give them something weird and out of the ordinary. I doubt they've drawn on eggs before. Give them something to take home to the folks.

I like that paint idea actually. Just might swing by the Daiso. I guess the only issue is mess, but they are pretty well behaved.

stufflikethat
March 3rd, 2010, 14:15
I remember one time when I was a kid I used food coloring. It worked really well.

Check the baking section of the supermarket and see if they have any.

lazarus
March 4th, 2010, 13:40
Thanks. I actually forgot what food colouring was called. Anyhow, I did that, got some markers and paint. They made some, but then they started to eat the extra eggs. Kinda weird, but they did the activity. :)

violetessence
March 4th, 2010, 15:11
I made Easter eggs with the English club last year. It's really easy, they had fun, and I'm gonna do it again this year. The best thing is to get crayons (including white) and let them draw designs before dipping them. The crayoned parts won't pick up the dye. You can also cover sections of dyed egg with the white crayon, and dip them again in a different color.

This is a dye recipe: Food Coloring Dyed Easter Eggs (http://www.dltk-holidays.com/easter/food_color.htm)

Food coloring is called 食紅 (shokubeni) or something in Japanese, and you can find it in the baking section in many grocery stores. (You don't need the drop kind - any kind will do.) I got some at Posful.

vertigo_stick
March 4th, 2010, 20:49
hilariously I found an unused easter egg dyeing kit in my house while cleaning yesterday. My mom sent it last year.