PDA

View Full Version : Has everyone heard back yet?

sublimination
January 20th, 2005, 04:20
Greetings and Salutations all,

This is for ALT applicants for 2005, have you all heard back for a rejection or interview one way or another? I dropped my application by hand to the embassy in Picadilly before the original deadline and had the stamped envelope back and all.

So has anyone else not heard anything back yet? I called them and they said the letters are going out still, and it could be as late as mid-feb before i even know!

Anyone else in the same boat?

Shame they cant just tell us straight up whats going on, as we all have lives to live and plans to make! :cry:

JT

Shotokai
January 20th, 2005, 08:02
Welcome, Welcome to the JET application system. which, I see, is being particularly difficult this year.

you are talking to those in the throws and those in the know. we can only sympathise and say "it doesn't get better until you land in Tokyo"

Mickey
January 20th, 2005, 20:59
I'm in the same position. I know they've got my application and I haven't heard back one way or the other yet.
I'm not too worried yet, one of my friends got an invtation last week.

ENAY
January 20th, 2005, 21:00
Well I only got my interview notification very recently and I sent mine in November. So there is still hope yet.

Moore
January 20th, 2005, 22:49
I'm in the same boat unfortunately. Not heard anything.

They do say they do ALT interviews until mid-Feb so there is still time yet.

DangerMouse
January 21st, 2005, 04:36
Hiya, yeh im another in the same boat...

i checked my application today, and they said they still havent looked at it yet! but i guess i can expect that after handing it in a couple of hours before the final deadline, so im trying not to let it bother me :)

but yeh it is very difficult not knowing one way or the other, exactly what the future holds...

i saw a rumour from the 2004group that JET are expecting to take more ALTs for 2005 than in previous years, so thats some good news to clutch on to!

Good luck with applications everyone
JON

Moore
January 21st, 2005, 07:05
Hiya, yeh im another in the same boat...

i checked my application today, and they said they still havent looked at it yet! but i guess i can expect that after handing it in a couple of hours before the final deadline, so im trying not to let it bother me :)

but yeh it is very difficult not knowing one way or the other, exactly what the future holds...

i saw a rumour from the 2004group that JET are expecting to take more ALTs for 2005 than in previous years, so thats some good news to clutch on to!

Good luck with applications everyone
JON

Interesting. I'd really like to know what order they look at applications in, if any. For all I know they could have looked at mine and chucked it in the bin back in December, which would be ultra harsh :) .

David
January 21st, 2005, 09:13
Patience guys! Most of the people on this site have shown the incentive to find out about Japan. Despite my occasional cynicism about people making plans for their time in Japan before they get the gig, I am sure that EVERYONE here has a very, very good chance of getting the job.

The JET application process takes over 6 months, with perhaps 3 pieces of correspondence from your embassy in that time. You need to relax, please.

Also stay away from Big Daikon as well. It is probably not a bad idea, once you've had your interview, to leave here for a while, Japan is going to take over your life for maybe 3 years, you need to concentrate on your friends and loved ones over the next few months. Believe me, I wish I'd hung out with my big brother one last time or gone for one last walk with my amazing dog.

You will regret it when you get here and you realise that all your questions, though valid, are perhaps not as relevant to the position that you are going to take, wait for your pred. to contact you, do not listen to us, or if you do, take a vat of salt with you.

minasan ganbatte

You'll all do fine, I have spoken

sublimination
January 21st, 2005, 10:14
That's all well, that it takes forever and we should all take sedatives, drink tea and watch the crystal maze etc. (well maybe not, way too exciting seeing O'Brien at work),

But JET is still a job and its realistic to want to get on with looking for something else or get on with preparing for the interview. As such, 2 months can seem like an eternity, thus we vent.

Or maybe i just dread the oft-asked question "What are you planning to do for the next year or so?". If I had a penny for every "um...", "maybe..." and "Japan" i have to say these days....

JT

redfieldblair
January 21st, 2005, 10:51
I have to admit i've noticed how many times I've said "hopefully Japan", fortunatley my backup is fairly certain, I'll be applying for the Games Programming MSc (only need to get a 2-2 since I'm from the uni running it and I'm pretty confident of getting a reasonable 2-1).
I have to say though it would be soooooo nice to goto Japan before the MSc, these 3 years at uni... well I've visited a lot of other unis to see friends but I don't really feel as if I've expanded my horizons. Sure I've gained a lot of new interests, but I've had to give up tennis, cycling and even my intermitant piano during term time, if anything I've been holiday fewer times since joining uni, seen less of the world than when I was young, fewer new experiences. I've got an itching to get out there. Plus teaching was my backup job plan, it'll be nice to find out how well that would have agreed with me.

ENAY
January 21st, 2005, 18:12
Red. If you're thinking of doing the Hull MSC Games Programming degree then you'll need about 7000 pounds minimum to cover living and tuition fee costs. If you do get on the JET program, all I can say is SAVE SAVE SAVE! If you can that is.

redfieldblair
January 21st, 2005, 19:05
Meh that shouldn't be a problem, its really not all THAT much different from what each year of the BSc is costing. Although... that is the kind of amount I'm pretty sure the 'rents would want paying back ;) Either way I'd eventually end up paying but the order isn't the be all and end all.
Also we do get some kind of loan correct? In second year I had to phone about my current loan so its a question I posed, I was told that I would be able to get one, although I did get the impression the person I was talking to wasn't all there.

Moore
January 21st, 2005, 19:19
I don't think I could cope with an MSc, I've had enough of academic computing!

redfieldblair
January 21st, 2005, 19:22
I can't stand programming on its own any more, but I really enjoy anything games realted, the graphics side of things especially but also physics and maths. I've met most of the people who lecture for the MSc and have to say it looks like it would be fun, they're all pretty friendly and I don't fall asleep whilst talking to them :)

ENAY
January 21st, 2005, 20:32
Just wait till the lectures start and then with some lecturers you may change your mind. ;)

The compulsory 60 minute presentation on an advanced topic of maths or physics is by far the most stressful thing you have to do on the MSc. The best thing is the final year project. 3 months of no lessons and a project that YOU want to do.

My project was an Alien Breed style computer game in C++ and OpenGL using advanced colloborative AI programmed by myself. Ie you could play the game but the other members of your team were computer controlled and thus went around doing their own thing and talked to you and each other on screen, (they could even complete the entire game on their own accord if you just stood there yourself and watched)
It also featured duel language support with English and Japanese, implemented for no other reason other than that I could! ;)

3 months of no lectures and doing what you want was great.

Anyway, ahem. :) Sorry for highjacking this tread temporarily. :roll:

ENAY
January 21st, 2005, 20:50
Thanks. Although I just prefer to be known as a computer geek.

They don't really teach game programming in regular degrees because they consider it unnecessary and not really academically useful. Also because it's so much more difficult than regular programming. Mainly due to the fact that there are literally so many ways of coding something and math based.

It's very easy these days though to get started, especially with simple 2D games. If you're interested Paul then I'd suggest the easiest place to start is by using Blitz:-

http://www.blitzbasic.com/

The demo is free.

redfieldblair
January 21st, 2005, 21:49
Well you already know my Final Year Project (space combat game with an infinite terrain system + LOD). Currently sat infront of my PC trying to come up with realistic shadows, finally found a good method on gamedev.net but its horribly documented so I'm having to take the 1 paragraph explanation and completley design it from scratch.
I was wondering, is there any chance they'd let me expand my final year project for my MSc project? I'd like the opportunity to add A.I. something I've never done before, and also mission scripting. It seems wastefull to start again from scratch particularly when those are such large projects in themselves.

ENAY
January 21st, 2005, 22:41
Well there's nothing stopping you from starting your project early. At least to familiarise with new techniques or commands. What I do these days is
For example I wrote a romanji to hiragana/katakana convertor that will allow me to display Japanese characters in graphics bitmap fonts that I created.
Now whenever I need to use it I just append it to the top of my project and call the commands I wrote and then I can display Japanese in any of my projects. Start writing things now and make them into libraries. Hell at least the experience of doing it the first time will make it much easier the 2nd time.

Besides when you get cracking, 3months is a very long time when working almost all day every day and you might get well addicted to doing your project and add even more things. (If you're like me that is)

If you're new to AI then I suggest you make a very simple game. Such as Connect 4/Space Invaders/Pacman and then write some primitive logic for it. Learn about A* too. Even a very simple game, requires a fair bit of AI logic.

redfieldblair
January 22nd, 2005, 04:52
Did Space Invaders before uni, here I've done the R-Type coursework and I *think* I added basic guessing tech to the battleships, if not I atleast planned it, but I assumed there was a LOT more to the subject than that. I meant really get my hands dirty with the subject. Although mission scripting is my high priority right now, already made a minor start on that but a bit busy with my FYP to take it very far atm.

ENAY
January 22nd, 2005, 18:11
I'm not familiar with mission scripting. Although I'm sure if you explained it to me, or I bothered to look myself ;) then I probably do what it is.

redfieldblair
January 22nd, 2005, 20:55
Maybe if I mention Half-Life it'll ring some bells, or better yet Wing Commander where it was for years before that. Rather than just placing objects telling them what to do and most importantly when using your own custom language. Whilst it can include positioning of objects like an old fashioned Doom file the idea is make mission events which are seperate from your code, e.g. under what conditions have you won, when is the route opened up, setting up what NPCs will say to you and under what conditions.

dobharrison
January 23rd, 2005, 19:38
This has to be one of the most interesting thread hijacks I've read! Keep it up, guys.

ENAY
January 23rd, 2005, 21:10
In that case, scripting has kind of confused me. Conversations and actions in non linear RPGs for example has often baffled me more as I've never thought of an efficient way of coding this efficiently.
As I'm more of a procedural man than object orienated (although I can see the benefits of both) I often find coding non linear stuff like that a bit of a pain in the buttock cheeks as I just rely on linear state changes for controlling what's going on.

> This has to be one of the most interesting thread
> hijacks I've read! Keep it up, guys.

Uh oh. We have thus spreaded our computer geekiness.
I think we should stop now. :)

BTW unless you're really dedicated you might feel that you can't be arsed to do the Games programming Masters degree anymore after your trip to Japan of 1-3 years (if you get in) None of my undergrad mates got back into education afterwards from taking some years out.

Having said that, I suppose you could be like me:-
"Uhoh, gotta find a job now, *QUICK*, find a way back into education at all costs" ;)

Although doing that degree as a backup if you don't get into JET is a really good idea. So don't feel too bad if you don't get in, you'll have a good time with your game programming and there is always the year after for JET.
You can look forward to watching the latest computer game movies off the internet on the projector and talking about them before the lecture.
(It was Half Life 2 and Doom 3 when I was there last year) :roll:

redfieldblair
January 23rd, 2005, 21:39
Ahhh well don't feel bad, Game Scripting seems to be a LARGE subject. I'd say theres as many issues involved as with learning your first graphics API from what I can tell, so its not something you could expect to just "reinvent", you'd really need to research it. Although in this day and age I think unless you're the next Jon Carmack it might be an idea to move onto the world of OO.
I'd have to say I'm pretty dedicated, and its unlikely I'll ever take a complete break from programming. Through the modding community I've come to know musicians, mission designers, artists, 3d modellers, writers, you name it and that is affording us the opportunity to make a complete engine this time rather than an addon to an 8 year old engine. I want to make use of my time in Japan, really experience it, but I still plan to find atleast an hour or two a week for this project if possible, which should stop my skills completley atrophying :)

And yeah we do seem to have hijacked this thread... I wonder if keep going was sarcastic... lol maybe we should add eachother on msn :P
I really must learn to hide my "computer geekiness"

dobharrison
January 23rd, 2005, 22:05
And yeah we do seem to have hijacked this thread... I wonder if keep going was sarcastic...

You will never know...............

ENAY
January 23rd, 2005, 22:12
By dedicated I obviously mean obsessed. It's difficult to achieve big success in any fields these days unless you're a born natural talent or completely obsessed by one particular subject and spend all your time doing it.

What games have you written RedFieldBlair?

> really must learn to hide my "computer geekiness"

Mentioning MSN has definitely confirmed yourself to be in the realm of a true geek. :)

redfieldblair
January 23rd, 2005, 22:38
LOL even my little sis uses msn.
And I've not programmed a lot, I scripted some missions for two wing commander projects (http://unknownenemy.solsector.net and http://standoff.solsector.net), space invaders back in ascii, battleships, R-Type (well, Wing Commander X-Type as I dubbed mine), the maze coursework, the air hockey game from OpenGL Game Programming (from scratch obviously, but it seemed like a usefull one to do), and thats it. As until 18months ago I'd never even touched a graphics API, when I did my love for programming was rekindled and I'd say I've learnt all the basics of OpenGL except for the buffers, I REALLY have to get around to that.
Oh and obviously my final year project, not that I feel its all that it could be, I've spent too much time on the other subjects but I will bring it upto scratch.

But if you're intrested you can find the latest pic of my maze and one of my final year project in its current form at http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1045415 (please ignore the WC movie images, its a terrible movie and the reason for their presence would take too long to explain ;))
Fortunatley, atleast once I'm over this cold I've got a few weeks to actually focus on my FYP, so it should be less... uninspiring in about a month.

sublimination
January 24th, 2005, 04:36
Perhaps I should attempt to hijack this thread to talk about whether people are still awaiting notification in the UK for JET, and how they feel about the long waiting period?

No, No, that would be too far off the original topic methinks... :D

JT

redfieldblair
January 24th, 2005, 08:43
The son of a friend of the family is still waiting to hear, he applied right near the deadline. But its definatley too far from the original topic ;) Everyone else I know who applied has already had their interview, thats quite a lot of people so it seems like getting an interview is almost a certainty. Its the waiting until april thats going to kill me. Really not sure how that interview went.

Mickey
January 24th, 2005, 20:41
At the risk of going further off topic a friend of mine and I who applied late are still waiting for an interview application. Odds are looking a little slim now... :cry:

Moore
January 24th, 2005, 23:07
At the risk of going further off topic a friend of mine and I who applied late are still waiting for an interview application. Odds are looking a little slim now... :cry:

Same here! What a horrible little club we're all in :( .

Chiara
January 27th, 2005, 00:03

*bzzzzzzzzzzzz!*

It's good, but it's not right. Budgets are being cut left right and centre and there are going to be even less JETs this year than 2004. Got a letter last week saying that all prefectural JETs (SHS) in my ken will be having to take on more than one school next year because they wont be filling all the places when people go home this year. Even if you recontract they might decide that your school doesnt need a base ALT and you will be moved to another school. And of course you don't find this out until AFTER you recontract.

Gah. Sorry if i sound a tad snarky but yet another day of sitting at my desk doing cock all has got to me a little. Hmmm. And I think I've just answered the question as to why they're cutting the budgets.

dobharrison
January 27th, 2005, 00:09
The same thing is happening here. Some of my friends are really unhappy about it, as they'll be taking on a much bigger workload.

Chiara
January 27th, 2005, 00:27
The only thing that i'm miffed about is that I might not be based at my current school, where I'm settled and like the staff and the pupils. I would KILL for a bigger workload at the moment.

sublimination
January 27th, 2005, 00:58
Hey all,

To all those still awaiting, I just had an email for interview through today, so the waiting is not in vain!

Trouble is, (not being at uni) I have just signed up for 2 weeks training at a new temp job, which i cannot get out of. The interview would have to be slap bang in the middle of this!

Argh! Bumflaps!

Any chance JET doesn't mind moving their interview?
If not, I'll just have to tell the people at this new job to go get stuffed. Oh, the sacrifices JET demands...

JT

Mickey
January 27th, 2005, 01:07
Well done sub, and thanks for proving there's a chance for us all yet.

Unfortunately from what I've heard JET don't reschedule interviews. Ages ago I was worried that the interview might clash with an exam, but the exam is far behind me now.

Moore
January 27th, 2005, 02:15
Awesome news sublimination. As Mickey said, gives those of us still in limbo a glimmer of hope!

When did you send your application in?

atrus
January 27th, 2005, 03:02
I phoned the JET people yesterday (London) and they said they'd still be sending interview notifications out into February.

So, all hope is not lost....

sublimination
January 27th, 2005, 03:40
For those still in JET Purgatory,

I have had my notification today for an interview for exactly a week from today. So they won't hang around on people's schedules!

As for my application, for those who asked, I submitted it about a week before the original deadline (mid november i think). I also did it handwritten on the printed application form as the online system seemed to be a bit temperamental. That may have held up the process a bit.

keep the dream alive!

JT

dobharrison
January 27th, 2005, 09:27
JET will not move the interview for any reason whatsoever, so fingers crossed you can make it!

Indigo
January 27th, 2005, 11:20
Sorry to re-hijack the thread back on track, but...

I just got notification of my interview today, at either the Chicago or Kansas City consulate! Any advice for pros and cons of each?

Evazan
January 27th, 2005, 12:04
Yay, glad to hear interview notifications are finally being sent out in the US. Hopefully I'll find out soon as well. Out of curiosity, when did they schedule your interview for?

Indigo
January 27th, 2005, 12:20
Well if I interview in Chicago, it'll be some time between Feb. 13 and 20. If it's in Kansas City, it'll be from Feb. 23-24. I didn't get anything more specific than that yet. I'm kind of leaning towards Chicago, but I want to hear from some others first.

AtomicYak
January 27th, 2005, 12:45
Interview in which ever city you'd like to visit (I hear you can get a killer tan in Chicago in February). There's no use worrying about which one accepts more candidates, which one will have more competition, etc. Those are things that you can only guess about. Just pick one, enjoy the city and rock out in the interview.

I just found out I'll be getting my interview as well. I'm glad I got it since I already booked the flight back home to Michigan. Detroit consulate, here I come!

AtownKiley
January 28th, 2005, 09:31
Aloha appees,

I'm based in Seattle right now attending UW. I just got my interview confirmation via email. It said they were gonna send me a letter regarding the details of the interview. Hope to hear good news from you all. Take it easy.

Pandilex
January 28th, 2005, 17:02
Gah. Sorry if i sound a tad snarky but yet another day of sitting at my desk doing cock all has got to me a little.

8O

atrus
January 29th, 2005, 05:21
Got my thing today!

It's on the 3rd of February..............OMFG!

sublimination
January 29th, 2005, 06:01
Congratulations!

Yours is day after me. Looks like there will be a lot of nervous looking people people trawling the streets of piccadilly this week. Me included.

JT

atrus
January 30th, 2005, 08:05
Yeah, I've never been to London before. So it's a bit exciting.....although it'll probably be all dirty and stuff. And I'll have to use the underground, and this song hasn't filled me with confidence:

http://www.kontraband.com/show/show.asp?ID=1833

enjoy!

Chiara
January 30th, 2005, 20:09
That rumour was from me. It came directly from the mouth of one of my JTEs, and he knows his stuff. I'm in Osaka-fu if anyone is interested.

But how can it be true when I know that there will be 50% less SHS JETs in my ken alone next year? Where are they going to put all these extra JETs?

Chi
February 1st, 2005, 00:12
I recieved email notification today that I will have my JET interview in Atlanta. Is anyone else from the US interviewing in Atlanta?

dendrite
February 1st, 2005, 01:02
I'm part of the New York consulate's pool, and no word yet. It's driving me kind of crazy. It's also sort of exciting I guess, since I make a beeline for my mailbox every day in expectation. I'm often greeted with a credit card offer.

I've decided that it has to come by Wednesday.

sanddreams
February 1st, 2005, 01:19
I'm in the Detroit area. One of my friends found out on Friday that she got an interview at the same consulate. I havn't yet though - it's making me worried.

DangerMouse
February 1st, 2005, 06:28
Cool! Just got my JET interview.......!!
(Luckily i checked my junk mail before emptying it tonight!)

Its on 8th feb in london...
I handed mine in hours before the final deadline...

Uni work will have to take a backseat atleast for the next week or so.

As i handed mine in later, i expect most people have heard back now yeh?

Good luck evry1
JON

sublimination
February 1st, 2005, 07:59
Congrats Jon,

My application was handed in near the original deadline in november, but was hand-written, which probably held it up. I have my interview wednesday and am starting to get the fear now. I think there's only so much preparation you can do.

Though i think most people who have gone to the trouble of reading these forums are probably more interested in JET than casual applicants and should get an interview and get through.

JT

DangerMouse
February 1st, 2005, 08:25
JT good luck with the interview,

from what ive read in these forums, enthusiasm, flexibilty and confidence
can go along way to making a lasting impact on the interviewers...

no doubt ill start to get the jitters as the next tues approaches. Youll have to let us know how u think it went...

Out of interest how much/what prep have u dun so far? im thinking of doing some research on the basics of japanese/uk history, but otherwise just relax about it... would be easy to go overboard on the japanese knowledge for the short period of the interview methinks.....

JON

nyerb
February 1st, 2005, 21:55
Are any of you from the Miami area? Have you been given an interview date?

I'm going crazy reading about everyone's notifications and I haven't received mine, yet... *fingers crossed*

Good Luck everyone!

Mickey
February 2nd, 2005, 00:52
....still no interview....

Moore
February 2nd, 2005, 04:10
....still no interview....

Same here. I'll say it again:

Boo!

sublimination
February 2nd, 2005, 04:30
Jon,

Haven't really done much hardcore cramming of anything really. Whilst you can know a few facts such as population etc. i really don't think lack of knowledge about a few things will ruin your chances at interview. Rather then that, I have just been more or less glancing at Japanese news stories and trying to match my essay to some of the questions people on here have previously been asked. Knowing a little bit about British history or politics or society could also help, though many people know this from school anyway. Knowledge of Japanese culture really depends on if you ever read Japanese books, watch Japanese films or have any other cultural exposure that doesn't involve sado-masochistic yakuza/murderous schoolchildren/animated deliquents on motorbikes etc. Knowing about other Japanese celebrities and figures is a plus.

From everything I have read online - ability to adapt and be confident is key. As a rough test, if you can see any threads on possible questions that may come up, if you can come up with an alright answer off the top of your head to 70% of the questions, this should land you in good stead.

Of course, this is all speculation, as I have never been interviewed for this before. Anyone think I'm highly mistaken here?

Oh well, back to feeling scared,

JT

dendrite
February 2nd, 2005, 08:18
I got my interview notices today! The inital one, and the one with the date an time. They were mailed separately but came at once.

It's right smack in the middle of the week. Pardon me while I go pore over a map to make sure I know where the NYC Consulate is! Here come two weeks of anxiety...

nicklad
February 2nd, 2005, 16:02
from what ive read in these forums, enthusiasm, flexibilty and confidence
can go along way to making a lasting impact on the interviewers...

I would offer that as very good advice.

Also have a check at www.japantimes.com a bit in advance.

I got asked what was happening in Japan at the time....

For me it was the big deal about Japan going into Iraq and how it went against some interpretations of the pacifist constitution.

Worth knowing a couple of the issues of Japan before you go to the interview.