PDA

View Full Version : Rejected by Interac - next step???

barnabythebear
March 5th, 2010, 22:12
Hiya all!

I recently received a rejection from Interac after applying for an ALT position online. I really want to make teaching in Japan happen for me, what are my next steps??

As I have no teaching experience or qualifications my first thought is to go and get a CELTA certificate and try and find some sort of teaching assistant position here in the UK. I'm quite happy to do volunteer work in schools too.

Also, is my age an issue? I'm 43, have I left it too late?

Any thoughts, options and personal experience greatly welcomed!

Many thanks

nige.

Crab
March 5th, 2010, 23:27
There are other companies other than interac. Age might be an issue, I don't know, but there will be a way to get over there. I've seen ALTs that are like 50.

Djordje
March 6th, 2010, 08:12
kill yourself.

patjs
March 7th, 2010, 21:40
how does one get rejected from interac??

AliDimayev
March 7th, 2010, 21:42
I'm 43, .

I think it's time you get a real real job.

Shirokuma
March 8th, 2010, 09:15
43 will be a tough number to get around in the non-university job market.

30 is generally a cut off point. Over 30 it gets tougher as the younger teachers will generally work in conditions that the older, more experienced etc.

No visa will also work against you.

Gusuke
March 8th, 2010, 09:53
You have to be a pretty big retard to get rejected from Interac.

miks
March 8th, 2010, 10:15
You have to be a pretty big retard to get rejected from Interac.
Or be 43.

OP you're too old for Interac.
Even for JET you had better have a damn good reason to be applying when you're over 35.

AliDimayev
March 8th, 2010, 10:17

Suicide is never an option.

Gusuke
March 8th, 2010, 10:21
20 year olds don't go for 43 years olds here, I know from personal experience despite not being 43.

Neb
March 8th, 2010, 11:34
20 year olds don't go for 43 years olds here, I know from personal experience despite not being 43.

really? i beg to differ, i see really hot chicks with old sleezy looking dudes all the time... but i bet they have loads of money, so i suppose its more about money than age...

privileged
March 8th, 2010, 11:40
troll your way to profit

Gusuke
March 8th, 2010, 13:47
really? i beg to differ, i see really hot chicks with old sleezy looking dudes all the time... but i bet they have loads of money, so i suppose its more about money than age...

TRUE DAT! But when your some regular dick on a private ALT salary of 230,000 yen a month you can't exactly draw in the hot pussy.

patjs
March 8th, 2010, 21:19
I'm sure you could pull some hot track-suit wearing kei-car pussy though with that kind of money.

Gusuke
March 9th, 2010, 07:33
I'm sure you could pull some hot track-suit wearing kei-car pussy though with that kind of money.

In our towns?

oh God yes!

rhoadesd20
April 8th, 2010, 07:16
Well to be fair, lately Interac has been doing a lot of weeding out. I have an interview with them this weekend, and they said they are only interviewing about 130 people in total across North America, I bet A LOT more people than 130 applied.

In fact I know some people that also applied that didn't get it, and they were more qualified then I was, which shocked me. But the main reason they didn't get an interview was because they weren't flexible, they all wanted to go to certain places.

In reference to the OP though, it probably might have been because of your age, in my webinar that I just had, everyone was under 27.

Jojo
April 8th, 2010, 16:53
fyi Interac just lost all of Niigata-ken SHS to Heart corp so theres about 30 positions that just went puff - and the same number again for the people that now need a job teaching junior or elem somewhere else

curtaineater
April 9th, 2010, 05:06
just fly to japan and go door to door.

Lego
April 9th, 2010, 09:29
The OP is clearly a troll.

AliDimayev
April 9th, 2010, 09:30
Hiya all!

I recently received a rejection from Interac after applying for an ALT position online. I really want to make teaching in Japan happen for me, what are my next steps??

As I have no teaching experience or qualifications my first thought is to go and get a CELTA certificate and try and find some sort of teaching assistant position here in the UK. I'm quite happy to do volunteer work in schools too.

Also, is my age an issue? I'm 43, have I left it too late?

Many thanks

nige.

ChuChuRocket!
April 9th, 2010, 22:17
how does one get rejected from interac??

Thank you..... I was thinking the same thing...

whispechoes
April 14th, 2010, 05:02
Assuming OP isn't a troll... become a substitute teacher or assistant teacher in your own country. Work on it for at least 6 months- maybe while getting a CELTA at the same time. Then apply to everywhere you can, including outside of Japan.

Hikari
April 14th, 2010, 07:30
@whisper he seems to be in the UK, so he can't just become a substitute teacher in 6 months without becoming a proper certified one. we don't let any dummies teach here, like in the US and Japan :P

whispechoes
April 14th, 2010, 11:08
I didn't say he could instantly start being a substitute teacher. I said he should become a substitute teacher. Then work the job for six months or so, maybe while picking up a CELTA if he's so inclined. We require training here for substitute teaching, after all... at least in my part of the US. :P

AliDimayev
April 14th, 2010, 11:10
@whisper he seems to be in the UK, so he can't just become a substitute teacher in 6 months without becoming a proper certified one. we don't let any dummies teach here, like in the US and Japan :P

substittue teachers don't teach- they babysit.

Unless you are talking about long-term subs.

Alicec18
May 6th, 2010, 22:01
Well to be fair, lately Interac has been doing a lot of weeding out. I have an interview with them this weekend, and they said they are only interviewing about 130 people in total across North America, I bet A LOT more people than 130 applied.

In fact I know some people that also applied that didn't get it, and they were more qualified then I was, which shocked me. But the main reason they didn't get an interview was because they weren't flexible, they all wanted to go to certain places.

That may explain part of the reasons why they rejected me too. I applied to Interac last week, and 3 days later I got their rejection e-mail saying "While your qualifications and experience are impressive, unfortunately we are unable to offer you a position.
We appreciate that you may like to request specific feedback about your application. However, in line with standard Japanese business procedures, it is Interac company policy not to disclose the detailed criteria on which we base our hiring decisions."

Maybe me being an Asian American is another reason for not hiring me because they just assumed I probably don't speak and write English with native fluency...? :-\

Jojo
May 7th, 2010, 16:31
That may explain part of the reasons why they rejected me too. I applied to Interac last week, and 3 days later I got their rejection e-mail saying "While your qualifications and experience are impressive, unfortunately we are unable to offer you a position.
We appreciate that you may like to request specific feedback about your application. However, in line with standard Japanese business procedures, it is Interac company policy not to disclose the detailed criteria on which we base our hiring decisions."

Maybe me being an Asian American is another reason for not hiring me because they just assumed I probably don't speak and write English with native fluency...? :-\
no - if you were born and educated in america then this has nothing to do with it. Interac lost a big chunk of contracts this year and there are more companies vying for what remains.. thats the main reason

Shirokuma
May 7th, 2010, 16:35
Look at the laws regarding dispatch agencies that the diet is supposed to be reviewing. It would really force places like Interac out of business.

Jojo
May 7th, 2010, 16:40
yeah - its been stuffed for a long time now.. Japanese laws are always vague and contradictory - that's how companies like interac and the BOEs get away with so much that is technically illegal .. people have been trying to change it for a long time

Shirokuma
May 7th, 2010, 18:46
yeah - its been stuffed for a long time now.. Japanese laws are always vague and contradictory - that's how companies like interac and the BOEs get away with so much that is technically illegal .. people have been trying to change it for a long time

Yes but with the incident in Chiba, the collapse of GEOS and NOVA, the issue of having teachers with no savings bothering embassies for airfare home etc etc.

Plus the dispatch laws are going to protect Japanese workers as well, the death by overwork etc. A lot of nursing care positions are dispatch due to the high turnover, they have to address these issues with the aging population the dispatch English thing will just get caught in it.

The general union should be doing more for the interac teachers but apparently has better things to do.