PDA

View Full Version : Typing in Japanese

Hikari
March 10th, 2010, 06:09
Hi guys,

Just wondering when typing in Japanese how to use punctuation? I know '。' is used instead of '.' but how do you type those square bracket type quote marks?

FamilyMart
March 10th, 2010, 06:25
the " [ " and " ] " become " 「 " and "」" once you turn on the uh... asian... font... thing :o

Hikari
March 10th, 2010, 06:44
Oh duh! Thanks, Mart.

I signed up for lang-8 finally, since my Japanese is absolute rubbish. I have 2 weeks off in April so might try to start studying intensively.

Anyone else use lang-8? Willing to give me a basic break down of how to use it best/most productively? And what is this 'notebook' thing?

Shankerbelle
March 10th, 2010, 07:32
I use lang-8 but have no ideas on tips n tricks. I just post crap and correct English like "Today I feel blues"

jandek
March 10th, 2010, 08:38
"Tomorrow I feel reds."

oh, the life of a methamphetamine shape inspector.

vertigo_stick
March 10th, 2010, 08:43
Just try to tackle some writing topics geared towards your level and write as much as you can on the subject.

I'm not sure what your level is though...but you can get a lot of mileage at first by self-intro type stuff, family, personality, etc.

Hikari
March 10th, 2010, 09:07
cool thanks. how about correcting other people - can you explain about the points system? do i need a certain amount of points to 'thank' others for my corrections?

violetessence
March 10th, 2010, 10:11
cool thanks. how about correcting other people - can you explain about the points system? do i need a certain amount of points to 'thank' others for my corrections?

Nah, you can just click the little "plus" icon under their name in the comments section. You can click it up to 5 times and little stars will appear that add to their "thanks" points in their profile. (I don't think the points do anything.)

vertigo_stick
March 10th, 2010, 11:05
Nah, you can just click the little "plus" icon under their name in the comments section. You can click it up to 5 times and little stars will appear that add to their "thanks" points in their profile. (I don't think the points do anything.)

it boosts people's egos. They probably will prefer correcting you if you give them worthless thank you points.

The person with the most thank you points gets to be #1 on the person with the most thank you points list.

miks
March 15th, 2010, 11:18
これから日本語で日記を書くつもりですね。頑張ってください~ね♡
お互い友達になってもいいかもしれませんね。
いつかチャットで私のユーザー名を教えますわ。