PDA

View Full Version : Please translate!

frostkaiser
March 16th, 2010, 17:26
Here I am with another superfluous translation thread, sorry!

"Have a nice holiday!"

Thanks!

Crab
March 16th, 2010, 18:07
What do you mean by holiday? Spring break? Or a trip away somewhere?

If it's spring break something like 春休みを楽しんで下さい would be ok.

If it's a trip away then 休暇を楽しんで下さい would probably be ok too.

frostkaiser
March 16th, 2010, 18:39
It was spring break, thanks!

Taurus
March 17th, 2010, 09:31
What do you mean by holiday? Spring break? Or a trip away somewhere?

If it's spring break something like 春休みを楽しんで下さい would be ok.

If it's a trip away then 休暇を楽しんで下さい would probably be ok too.

Except apparently if you use the -te form of a verb, you're supposed to spell out the following kudasai in hiragana. Except I don't think it's a big deal, and it's only relevant if you're going to be writing it down, like.

Crab
March 17th, 2010, 10:44
I've never heard that before, I'll look into it, cheers!

Taurus
March 17th, 2010, 10:50
Yeah, I'm not 100%, but I just found out about it on the internet today, so I thought I'd mention it. There is definitely some sort of stylistic rule on the use of kanji in kudasai, though, and that one seems to make sense. I intend to google it some more later...

kamukamuume
March 17th, 2010, 11:04
Yeah, I'm not 100%, but I just found out about it on the internet today, so I thought I'd mention it. There is definitely some sort of stylistic rule on the use of kanji in kudasai, though, and that one seems to make sense. I intend to google it some more later...

「下さい」は、漢字?ひらがな? - 教えて!goo (http://oshiete1.goo.ne.jp/qa1983485.html)

that one looks pretty good, Taurus. I mean, it's basically like a yahoo answers type of thing, but a native's intuition for that is good enough for me, even though a style manual could possibly say differently.

the second to last commenter said something that seems consistent with what you specified earlier, too.

Taurus
March 17th, 2010, 11:09
That looks interesting - and there's another English discussion here (http://www.japanesepod101.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18948&highlight=#18948).