PDA

View Full Version : JLPT Registration Opens Tomorrow, 3/26

Lego
March 25th, 2010, 14:41
FYI.

Shirokuma
March 25th, 2010, 16:18
Do people still take this test and if so why???!?!?!

I never bothered, I did take the JETRO one for business a few years back.

How much does the paper qualification matter in the real world?

Muts
March 25th, 2010, 17:27
...erm maybe as a challenge for themself or to look good on job applications.

Sure it isn't going to get you a job by itself but it might help get you an interview.

Alphabet
March 25th, 2010, 18:50
Because some people like to challenge themselves.

Shirokuma
March 25th, 2010, 20:02
Fair enough in my mind it is rather like TOIEC though with little practical and a whole lot of theory so I wanted to know what others thought

Lego
March 26th, 2010, 09:21
Is this test not one of the most (if not the most) official way to certify Japanese proficiency?

UPGRAYEDD
March 26th, 2010, 12:19
It is and has the full backing of the Japanese government.

UPGRAYEDD
March 26th, 2010, 12:26
How much does the paper qualification matter in the real world?

It can make the difference between getting an interview or getting your resume trashed.

kamukamuume
March 26th, 2010, 17:17
I'd considered retaking the JLPT since I could use a higher score and it'll be revised starting this December (right?) but i haven't been studying at all, so I guess I'll sit this one out...

Shirokuma
March 26th, 2010, 17:41
Ok, so what kinds of jobs are people looking at applying to with this certification. It seems to me like it is being used just like the Japanese use the TOIEC. Anyone else ever met a TOIEC 900 who could not string two sentences together?

Anyway, so what do people shoot for JPLT 2 then? That is the minimum to get a job in a Japanese company (right?)

Crab
March 28th, 2010, 00:58
I've met a couple of 1kyu people who can memorise kanji but can barely speak.

It depends on the person.

UPGRAYEDD
March 28th, 2010, 17:39
I've met a couple of 1kyu people who can memorise kanji but can barely speak.

It depends on the person.

It's useful being literate.

Muts
March 28th, 2010, 18:56
Exactly
Equally there are plenty of people who can speak pretty good conversation Japanese but can't read anything above low elementary school level. I guess for most jobs you're going to have to be good at both.

At the end of the day if you're looking to decide whether to interview someone or not you're more likely to go with the guy who has JLPT 1 and says he speaks great Japanese rather than the guy who just says it with no proof at all.

As for the lower levels I guess it's more for a challenge, or just to prove that you did something constructive with your time in Japan when it comes to applying for unrelated jobs.

cm2jr4
March 29th, 2010, 16:17
I'd considered retaking the JLPT since I could use a higher score and it'll be revised starting this December (right?) but i haven't been studying at all, so I guess I'll sit this one out...

I think the revision starts with the July tests this year.

tenderRondo
March 30th, 2010, 09:02
Does anyone know when registration closes?

Crab
March 31st, 2010, 23:36
Friday April 30th, apparently.

Lego
April 1st, 2010, 11:30
Crab is correct.

Banana Hammock
April 2nd, 2010, 10:20
here's a direct link to the changes in the test:
http://www.jlpt.jp/e/about/pdf/guidebook_e.pdf

Gusuke
April 4th, 2010, 23:35
I'm debating whether I want to take the new N3, or N2.

I'm leaning towards N3, since I know I could pass that with flying colors.

jandek
April 5th, 2010, 13:38
picked up my registration form at Kinokuniya next to Sapporo Station yesterday. anyone else planning on taking it in hokkaido this july?

Gusuke
April 5th, 2010, 19:57
Aw screw it, I'm going to go balls out for N2

keekers
April 8th, 2010, 09:03
I already passed 1kyuu in December 2008, but I'm considering taking the new N1. I wonder how different it is, and if I could still pass it?

cm2jr4
April 8th, 2010, 14:10
Aw screw it, I'm going to go balls out for N2

Me too. I just need to find time to pick up the app.

I Am Quailman
April 8th, 2010, 14:33
I like how they had to inform everyone that:

"N" stands for both "Nihongo" and "New"

That said... I failed 2kyuu at 53.75% Dec 2008. Might as well go for N2 if it's roughly the same.

Lego
April 8th, 2010, 14:36
Nigger

Yeah, it stands for that too.

enigmaneo
April 8th, 2010, 15:22
I signed up for N3.

kamukamuume
April 8th, 2010, 15:23
I already passed 1kyuu in December 2008, but I'm considering taking the new N1. I wonder how different it is, and if I could still pass it?

what's your current job? are you using advanced japanese a lot?

I passed 1kyu last December, but I doubt I could pass it at this very moment. from what I understand, the requirements are essentially the same, with just minor tweaks to make it a bit more difficult.

keekers
April 8th, 2010, 19:14
what's your current job? are you using advanced japanese a lot?

I passed 1kyu last December, but I doubt I could pass it at this very moment. from what I understand, the requirements are essentially the same, with just minor tweaks to make it a bit more difficult.
Still an ALT, and I played through Metal Gear Solid in Japanese recently, does that count as advanced?

Yeah I'm not sure I could pass at this very moment either. When I passed before it was just barely, so I would definitely need to review some things. The review would come in handy for more than just the JLPT though, because I'm going to be a CIR starting in August.