PDA

View Full Version : Interac self introduction

rhoadesd20
April 8th, 2010, 06:01
Hey everyone,
I have an interview with interac in a few days and I'm having problems with the Japanese portion of my self introduction. It has been a solid four years since my intro to Japanese course so I am very rusty. My father has a colleague from Japan who said he would help me, but it's been three days and I still haven't heard anything, so I'm trying to be more safe than sorry.

I'm not sure on the grammar, and maybe some of the word choice, I also think it sounds a little repetitive, but that is basically as much as I learned in my class.

Thanks for any help!

Hajimemashite,
Watashi no namae wa rhoadesd20 (my name) desu, doozo yoroshiku.
Watashi wa ni-ju-yon sai desu to america-jin desu. Soshite, sakkaa to besuboru to i-go to hon ga suki desu.
Watashi wa chooto nihongo no hanashimasu. Soshite, mainichi benkyoo shimasu.

Essentially I want to say:
How do you do, my name is rhoadesd20, glad to meet you.
I am a 24 year old from America and I like soccer, baseball, i-go (the board game) and books.
Although I only speak a little Japanese, I am studying everyday.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance!
Cheers

jandek
April 8th, 2010, 09:03
Watashi wa ni-ju-yon sai desu to america-jin desu. Soshite, sakkaa to besuboru to i-go to hon ga suki desu.

watashi wa nijuuyon sai desu. amerikajin desu (you don't need the 'to' there, because it can't be used as a ", and"-type conjunction in this setting. easiest solution is to make a separate sentence, and drop the 'watashi wa', because it will be obvious enough that you are talking about yourself.)

watashi wa chotto nihongo ga hanasemasu.  (change the "no" particle to "ga" because "no" shows relationship, kinda like the word "of", but much more general and inclusive. also, you want the "i can/cannot do this" form of the verb, which is where "hanasemasu" vs. "hanashimasu" comes in.)

Soushite, mainichi benkyoo wo shiteimasu. (shiteimasu is "am doing" whereas "shimasu" is 'i do', and you are describing a presently ongoing action.)

rhoadesd20
April 8th, 2010, 09:41
Thank you so much!
So it was mostly particles and conjugation.
I will start practicing that.

jandek
April 8th, 2010, 11:07
no worries, it is a slow day at the office.

AliDimayev
April 8th, 2010, 11:15
You also will be asked to sing a song. Have you one picked out?

rhoadesd20
April 8th, 2010, 11:24
For the warm-up activity they say we can do whatever, song, game, activity, etc.

So, no, I was not going to do a song. But if it increases my chances I could find one :) I had more of a color activity where a row of students would stand up and have to point to a color I call out, go through all the rows, then start over, but this time I point at something and the row of students say the color out loud. It reviews colors and not only has them recognize a color that they are told, but also say the color from memory based upon what they are shown.

zz_alex_zz
April 9th, 2010, 03:51
Only use 'watashi' in the first sentence. It sounds unnatural to keep stating the subject in Japanese.

Also instead of "Watashi wa chooto nihongo no hanashimasu. Soshite, mainichi benkyoo shimasu", try...

"Ima nihongo ga amari hanasenai desu-kedo mainichi nihongo o benkyoo shite-imasu"

AliDimayev
April 9th, 2010, 10:33
Romaji is for losers.

Crab
April 9th, 2010, 11:45
I always hear americans saying "desu kedo".

To me that sounds too colloquial for an interview. Desu keredomo would sound better, I think.

jandek
April 12th, 2010, 13:05
and replace all the 'watashi's with 'wagahai' (我が輩), since it is a formal interview.

Hikari
April 14th, 2010, 07:32
and replace all the watashis with atashi because you're a pussy