PDA

View Full Version : Limited Time Special: Change/Give another user a custom user title

Beer Baron
April 9th, 2010, 15:27
This is a 2 week trial of an idea other forums have ran with to have a bit of fun while also bringing in a little bit of extra cash for the site.

If it goes well and theres no major arguments / falling outs, I'll see about making this a more permanent feature of the site.

This is what you do:

- Any relevant donations from the timestamp of this message until 23:59 BST on Friday 23rd April will qualify
- If you donate $6, you can change any other user's title to what you want for 7 days
- If you donate $11, you can change any other user's title to what you want for 14 days.
- If the user already has a "paid-for" user title by another member, your paid-for user title will take effect at the end of the existing title.
- The user title must not be offensive. If judged to be offensive, you will be asked to change your user title request.
- The user title may have a specified colour, but this does not work in all browsers (Firefox being one of them. IE is ok I think).

To donate, use the donation link in the menu above. In the PayPal message box, include:
a) the username of who you want to give the custom title to
b) the custom title you want
c) your username

Edit: Just to clarify, you will *not* get VIP status when paying for a user title change. If you would like VIP status instead of choosing a user title for another user, please specify so in the message to seller box when donating.

Have fun!

Ini
April 9th, 2010, 15:34
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh286/mmarks_2008/robocop.jpg

Lego
April 9th, 2010, 16:01
This should be retroactively applied for generous donors to the site.

Beer Baron
April 9th, 2010, 16:33
I may do that if the trial goes ok. Not sure yet

Fyrey
April 9th, 2010, 17:09
Before I waste my money Paul, can I change yours to anything I like as stated in your rules. Anything at all? I promise to be completely out of line on this.

Beer Baron
April 9th, 2010, 17:20
Yep as long as it's not offensive

Scrotty
April 9th, 2010, 17:51
offensive is a pretty broad term. offensive to you? offensive to the person whose title is being changed? offensive as determined by the majority? offensive as determined by a pre-existing definition?

Beer Baron
April 9th, 2010, 18:00
Offensive. It's quite simple so let's not turn this into a huge problem as everyhtig seems to on this site. If you think someone, the person you are giving the title to or another reader or user of the site may be offended by the text you are choosing then it's probably a wise idea to think of something else. It's not complicated or ambiguous.

WesleyCrusher
April 9th, 2010, 19:04
The only reason this would be an incentive to donate is just that: so you can humiliate/embarrass someone with an offensive/hurtful title.

Beer Baron
April 9th, 2010, 19:06
As I said, it's a trial. We'll see how it goes and if its not popular then it can be replaced with something else possibly.

mothy
April 9th, 2010, 19:20
As I said, it's a trial. We'll see how it goes and if its not popular then it can be replaced with something else possibly.

You're not popular. Can we replace you with something else?

Ini
April 9th, 2010, 23:24
15 dollars seems a bit steep..... can I donate 20p just to force someone - anyone - to make an interesting post.

its been a while......

AliDimayev
April 9th, 2010, 23:27
Hey Paul. You in Ireland?

Ini
April 9th, 2010, 23:39
hes in all of us.

hes that little voice that tells us to turn the other cheek and to help our fellow man

AliDimayev
April 9th, 2010, 23:39
Well, it's just that a story from near to my hometown must be very popular in the IRISH news.

Ini
April 9th, 2010, 23:44
a rich vein discovered in the local potato mine?

AliDimayev
April 9th, 2010, 23:45
No, some 15 year old Irish immigrant in SOUTH HADLEY, MASSACHUSETTS called PHEOBE PRINCE committed suicide on accounta the bullying what she was the victim of.

Ini
April 9th, 2010, 23:46
well Pauls the guy to ask about princes..........

AliDimayev
April 9th, 2010, 23:47
The story is quite upesetting, if I was back home I may seek down some of the bullies in South Hadley and take their picture and then

Beer Baron
April 9th, 2010, 23:59
N.Ireland

AliDimayev
April 10th, 2010, 00:01
oh, sorry. N. Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, right/.

Anyway, have you heard of the pheobe prince story. It is a local story from my hometown which has gone nation wide and considering she is from ireland, i'd figure it is in the news over there...

Beer Baron
April 10th, 2010, 00:03
No need to apologise...Yea its part of the uk but "ireland" covers both south and north.

Not heard of it but i've not been keeping up to date with the news recently

AliDimayev
April 10th, 2010, 00:04
Anyway, i feel terrible about the girl and if I were back in massachusetts I may very well do something that would warrant me getting arrested because what those kids did to that poor girl was just deplorable.

Ini
April 10th, 2010, 00:05
ireland is 50% Guinness tourist attraction and 50% ira terrorist haven. its like mickey mouse being sodomized by osama

AliDimayev
April 10th, 2010, 00:07
I thought 'The Troubles' have calmed down in recent years.

Ini
April 10th, 2010, 00:12
it still flares up if I have mexican food, thats why I keep a toilet roll in the fridge at all times

AliDimayev
April 10th, 2010, 00:13
I just eat in the bathroom.

Ini
April 10th, 2010, 00:15
i tried that but its a bugger trying to organize a nomikai

mothy
April 10th, 2010, 01:09
it still flares up if I have mexican food, thats why I keep a toilet roll in the fridge at all times

It may be just that I'm drunk but this is the best posyt I've raed in some time.

Jordan
April 10th, 2010, 03:59
How much does the site actually cost? Hosting space for a single, admittedly reasonably sized board can't be that expensive.

You would be better lowering the cost and increasing the value as cat suggests. I don't think many people care enough to spend proper money on it.

Beer Baron
April 10th, 2010, 04:04
It costs $400ish for a year. But we are paid up until some time next year. I just want to get some money in the kitty for a vbulletin software upgrade and then start saving for next years hosting.

I didn't know applying was bad? It was my understanding everything was fine.

Jordan
April 10th, 2010, 04:34
It costs $400ish for a year. But we are paid up until some time next year. I just want to get some money in the kitty for a vbulletin software upgrade and then start saving for next years hosting.

I didn't know applying was bad? It was my understanding everything was fine.
It's a matter of opinion. Applying is fine in the same sense that AG is fine but the 2 have definitely begun to converge. People seem less shy about just outright insulting others in applying. I'd say that's damaging because I think applying should have a more professional feel. That's just an opinion though.

I think the wider point Cata is making is important though. If you expect people to contribute to the cost and running of the site; they ought to get a say in the choices about how it's run.

wicket
April 10th, 2010, 05:42
I think it's a bit steep too, given the time limits. I think it should be $5 for a week and $10 for a fortnight. Not that I'd want to do it anyway, I don't think. But I disagree with Meelynn - you could easily pay to give someone who's been helpful or who you like for some other reason a nice title.
I'd be happy for someone to call me something offensive for a couple of weeks if it helps keep ITIL going, too. Offensive is too subjective a term. As long as it's not racist or homophobic, let people go for it!

Ini
April 10th, 2010, 05:46
why are racist and homophobic comments so sacred to you?

as I recall puma got plenty of dead mother jabs thrown at him and the whole place was up in arms over it, poor mothy was sent to Coventry and that place is shit apart from the kfc on the by-pass ringroad

Jordan
April 10th, 2010, 08:18
I'd be happy for someone to call me something offensive for a couple of weeks if it helps keep ITIL going, too. Offensive is too subjective a term. As long as it's not racist or homophobic, let people go for it!
The evil in me wants to have yours changed to "she has dem gays" now. Just for the cruelty of it.

mothy
April 10th, 2010, 11:17

Exactly. Call someone all sorts of things but drop a beaner or a fag and then suddenly people flip all out. It's especially precious when it comes from white straight people.

Beaners and fags aren't helpless retards. They can take care of themselves. Quit trying to be their knight in shining armor.

ten_of_spades
April 10th, 2010, 21:29
Well said, mothy.

As far as moderating goes, just have someone to keep the spam-bots and the king of England out of my face, remove illegal content, but otherwise keep the content of the posts unmoderated. I'm sure sensibilities have been offended in Applying, but I haven't seen anyone get piled-on for no reason. Sometimes you have to call a retard a retard.

I agree that your asking price is too high. Follow the Wal-Mart business model. Say you want to raise $100, which is better: charging $20 and hoping for 5 purchases, or charging $5 and hoping for twenty purchases (ie the wal-mart model)? Low-price, high-volume still nets you the same amount of money, if not more (and considering how much Wal-Mart makes, I'd say they're on to something).

Beer Baron
April 11th, 2010, 00:58
One of the small issues with going for the cheaper price/more buyers is that paypal take a chunk out of each donation. Instead of going for $5 per donation I would have to add in a bit more to cover the paypal costs - maybe $6 instead. No big issue but something to be aware of.

Also, I would have to only provide the user title rename for that cost, not include the vip features. There would be no larger donations if the incentive is given away at the $5 level.

Something that could be done is $6 user title for 1 week, $11 for 2 weeks. Or, donate a minimum of $15 and get VIP access and one 2 week user title rename included.

This raises another issue though - people will get (at the moment) lifelong vip access for $15. There wont be any incentive to help out in future years. How about a year's VIP access is $15. So, if you donate $30 you get 2 years vip access, $45 you get 3 years etc.

Thoughts?

Jordan
April 11th, 2010, 01:54
People often aren't donating to things like websites for the incentives. They're donating because they like the site; your actual product.

I'd suggest that any donation should get some kind of thank you. You want people to feel that whatever they can give is valued and appreciated.
I'd certainly support some kind of sliding scale, smaller thank yous for smaller donations.

I'd be careful about making VIP limited to 1 year. This feels very much like a subscription to an actual product - rather than a thank you reward for having donated to a free site. Once you start expecting regular money for the provision of a service, people start expecting better and better service. That may become problematic what with ITIL's history of bitching about staff. I'm not a VIP, so you should perhaps refer that question to the VIP forum specifically.

I'd suggest you could encourage continued support simply by keeping a running total of what an individual has donated. That way rewards are earned when you reach milestones; so that if you donate $5 three times a year, the kind of small regular support the site needs, you see your access expanding.

Hikari
April 11th, 2010, 04:34
Also not to mention that if it becomes regular, like a subscription, you run into legal issues because it'll be seen as a contract.. so the users can expect more and you might be restricted in teh stuff you do.

wicket
April 11th, 2010, 04:48

they aren't especially, but you run the risk of offending lots of people, whereas gags about puma's dead mum, my baby, elle's so-called flab etc. are really only going to offend one person.

and jordan, no one "expects" anyone to pay for anything. that's why it's called a "donation" and not a "payment". if you give someone a voucher for christmas do you expect a say-so on how they spend it?

Beer Baron
April 11th, 2010, 06:45
Ok, let's run with the $6/1week $11/2weeks idea from now for 2 weeks and assess it then. I'll update the original post

Jordan
April 11th, 2010, 07:16
and jordan, no one "expects" anyone to pay for anything. that's why it's called a "donation" and not a "payment". if you give someone a voucher for christmas do you expect a say-so on how they spend it?
Not at the moment no; my point was that if a donation reward has a time limit - it becomes akin to a subscription in that regular payments are made for continued service. And I don't know about you but if I make regular payments to a person or company; I want a certain quality of service in exchange for those payments.

EDIT: Kari mentioned lawyering at the weekend! There MUST be punishment!

ten_of_spades
April 11th, 2010, 10:11
One of the small issues with going for the cheaper price/more buyers is that paypal take a chunk out of each donation. Instead of going for $5 per donation I would have to add in a bit more to cover the paypal costs - maybe $6 instead. No big issue but something to be aware of.

Also, I would have to only provide the user title rename for that cost, not include the vip features. There would be no larger donations if the incentive is given away at the $5 level.

Something that could be done is $6 user title for 1 week, $11 for 2 weeks. Or, donate a minimum of $15 and get VIP access and one 2 week user title rename included.

This raises another issue though - people will get (at the moment) lifelong vip access for $15. There wont be any incentive to help out in future years. How about a year's VIP access is $15. So, if you donate $30 you get 2 years vip access, $45 you get 3 years etc.

Thoughts?

If I understand Paypal's person-to-person transfer correctly, the person sending the money has the option of paying the fee, so you'd get the full $5.

I think the smaller donations = name change, bigger = VIP access is a good idea.

Fyrey
April 12th, 2010, 07:25

Count me out then, cock.

Beer Baron
April 12th, 2010, 07:38
Er, fine?

Lego
April 13th, 2010, 12:17
I'm curious about how many suckers have done this.

mothy
April 13th, 2010, 13:07
How many moms does Paul have?

Ini
April 13th, 2010, 14:14
Its complicated, he doesnt have one in the traditional sense of the word. I guess you would say gaia is seeing as her decision to fuse the elements together gave life to him.
http://thatissophat.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/captainplanet7.jpg

Hikari
April 14th, 2010, 02:56
Its complicated, he doesnt have one in the traditional sense of the word. I guess you would say gaia is seeing as her decision to fuse the elements together gave life to him.
http://thatissophat.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/captainplanet7.jpg

Jesus, gaia has some nice boobs.

tenderRondo
April 14th, 2010, 08:10
has anyone?? i certainly haven't noticed it.

Someone did it to me.

tenderRondo

Someone did it to me. Im

tenderRondo

Someone did it to me. Im assuming

tenderRondo

Someone did it to me. Im assuming it

tenderRondo

Someone did it to me. Im assuming it was

Ini
April 14th, 2010, 08:30
spit it out man

Djordje
April 14th, 2010, 16:45
Wand, make my monster grow!