PDA

View Full Version : Visibility of Anything Goes

I Am Quailman
April 21st, 2010, 13:09
Like before, you couldn't see AG unless you were logged in. Also, you couldn't post in AG until you reached 20 posts. This was a pretty good policy, and I'd like to make a push for this to happen again.

Ini
April 21st, 2010, 13:15
without a visible anything goes forum noobs spend 20 of their first posts mincing around talking rubbish in the applying forum. By the time its visible to them they dont care and continue to post irrelevant tripe in applying. All the hidden forum and 20post thing does is encourage an "us Vs them" mentality between the established posters and the new people. This site has always been too cliquey, keeping it open to everyone is a much better idea.

I Am Quailman
April 21st, 2010, 14:26
Okay, well what about it not being visible unless logged in?

Ini
April 21st, 2010, 14:35
how about having it visible from the front page but when you try clicking on it to enter you get a log in screen saying this forum is for registered users only? That way new people to the site can see a general forum exists and it encourages them to sign up?

AliDimayev
April 21st, 2010, 14:36
That would make sense.

word
April 21st, 2010, 15:52
Yeah, I like that idea, too.

Djordje
April 21st, 2010, 16:52
Like before, you couldn't see AG unless you were logged in. Also, you couldn't post in AG until you reached 20 posts. This was a pretty good policy, and I'd like to make a push for this to happen again.
I shall take your motion into account and cross reference it with the baron............unless I don't get the "job," then to Hell with policies and pushings of all natures, sexual or not for that fathom.

3ngrishsensei
April 21st, 2010, 18:43
how about having it visible from the front page but when you try clicking on it to enter you get a log in screen saying this forum is for registered users only? That way new people to the site can see a general forum exists and it encourages them to sign up?

but wouldn't this create a lot of one-shot accounts of people who wanted to read something one day? Then never return....?

Ini
April 21st, 2010, 18:56
the site survived for years having the general forum visible. There are literally hundreds of accounts that have post counts of 0. None of this seemed to hurt it. I don't understand why all of a sudden everyone wants it hidden, isn't that what the VIP forum is for?

3ngrishsensei
April 21st, 2010, 19:09
I never said it should be invisible. I don't have any opinion on that.

Just thought forcing users to register would create more dead accounts. How much of a hassle that is? I don't know. maybe it's not. Just saying.

Ini
April 21st, 2010, 19:14
its not forcing them to register any more than keeping it hidden and saying you need to make 20 posts will

Djordje
April 22nd, 2010, 05:16
Use the invisibility cloak.

Village Drunk
April 22nd, 2010, 05:29
Invisible to everyone.

Hikari
April 22nd, 2010, 06:00
I did try invisibility and this happened... I need to control it better.

Jordan
April 22nd, 2010, 19:06

I agree it's existence should be known to new people but not that only registration should be required.
As 3ngrish points out this may lead to a lot of trash accounts simply used to lurk in AG with no posts.

Perhaps a limit as low as a single post would help alleviate the problem. Someone could create an introductions sticky/forum for people to make their first introductory post in. This would encourage people to engage even just a little bit with the site's membership and present a window of opportunity for us to welcome them and convince them not to retreat into lurking.

In fact a "first post must be an introduction" rule might help in all aspects of the site not just AG; though everything should remain as readable without registration as it is now except of course AG.

Shankerbelle
April 22nd, 2010, 19:40
I think Jordan has a good idea, having a minimal post count, as well as the login screen for AG would work quite well, whilst keeping AG visible. I'm not a fan of introduction threads tbh, peoples first posts seem so corny, but i understand the point of having there.

There was an introductions thread in applying if i remember correctly.

Ini
April 22nd, 2010, 20:04
Just make it visable to everyone before we start getting bogged down with needless rules, arbitary post limits and other silliness. Its a open forum about teaching in Japan, if you want to build some little closed off community then piss off to facebook or something

Beer Baron
April 22nd, 2010, 21:25
I don't see the point in hiding it.

Beer Baron
April 23rd, 2010, 05:13
That's what the VIP forum is for

Shankerbelle
April 23rd, 2010, 05:31
Looks like thats a service they have to pay for Cat.

3ngrishsensei
April 23rd, 2010, 15:25
That's what the VIP forum is for

i.e. give us your monies! :-D

Ini
April 23rd, 2010, 15:27
if you want special treatment, then yes. If you dont want to pay then you'll have to live with the horror of the whole world knowing "3ngrishsensei" is having fried chicken for dinner.

3ngrishsensei
April 23rd, 2010, 15:42
oh I'm okay with the world knowing that. I even made it myself. :)

I certainly think it's fair for this site to want to make money....
I was just pointing it out that "use VIP" = "give me monies"

and if I don't want anyone to know stuff, don't post it, eh?

Village Drunk
April 24th, 2010, 04:10
That's what Hitler said.

Djordje
April 24th, 2010, 05:34
monkies