PDA

View Full Version : Total Japanese noobe

Sezzyboo
April 28th, 2010, 07:50
I know my question has probably been answered already, but since I'm getting really impatient of looking, I thought I'd ask again. Anyway, I recently brought the Heisig book to help me learn how to write Kanji. It's only been like two days but I do feel like I'm getting the hang of it. I am a complete noobe and I would like to find a way to really get a grasp of understanding Japanese.

Now this may have already been answered already but i just wanted to ask. Since I'm learning to write Kanji, do I also need to learn Kana?

Also what books or methods should I use to learn how to write sentences using Kanji and also to be able to speak Japanese. I keep reading the Romaji isn't the best way to learn the correct pronunciation but I don't know what else to do...help!

Ini
April 28th, 2010, 08:17
learn hiragana and katakana, pick up a copy of genki (http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4547253/Genki_I_II_-_Integrated_Elementary_Japanese_Course_%28PDF__MP3%29), study until your ears bleed.

or give up once you have learnt how to order a beer and pull a slapper.

Shankerbelle
April 28th, 2010, 08:28
I was a little worried when I saw that Ini got to you first, but that's probably the best and most to-the-point advise you'll get.

Sezzyboo
April 29th, 2010, 03:41
Lol thanks guys! :samurai:

vertigo_stick
April 30th, 2010, 10:50
Knowing kanji without a knowledge of kana is like knowing the names of all your friends but not their faces. It's so assbackwards I don't even know where to begin. :)

Getting a good basic-level book would be a great idea! Put aside kanji for a few days to learn the kana really thoroughly (if you have facebook, the app kanji box has a kana drill section that will work you through them pretty well), and then once you've learned them, hang with the kanji at whatever pace suits you if you like, but make sure you are pursuing some kind of study of the language itself as well.

Ini
April 30th, 2010, 11:08
stick with heisig, people will tell you its useless but being able to understand the meaning and recognize the funny swiggles written on the blackboard will help you a lot in your first few weeks in the staffroom.

brad12
June 19th, 2010, 18:00
I know this is stupid question but still i am asking.shall I learn both kanji and kana?Is there is any relation between them?

Crab
June 19th, 2010, 20:37
............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`

AliDimayev
June 29th, 2010, 16:19
I know this is stupid question but still i am asking.shall I learn both kanji and kana?Is there is any relation between them?

I hope they ban you for trolling.