PDA

View Full Version : New Horizons Lesson plans!!!

mteacher80
May 9th, 2010, 22:56
ok here I go I will add a few every few days or so until i get tired of it, what do you think???

mteacher80
May 9th, 2010, 22:57
1st Year Unit 1
Are you from America?

Grammar
Use of the copula (to be) with the pronouns I and you.
Key sentences: You are Ms. Green. Are you from America? No, I am not.
This corresponds to pages 12-13 in the textbook.

Materials
• Picture cards for each country (included; You may want to laminate them so they can be used many times)
• Country cards (included, cut them out before class)
• The World Worksheet (included)
• Magnets
• Textbook

Procedure
1. Do the practice exercise on the bottom of page 13. The exercise shows a picture of a country and underneath has the name of a different country. One student asks, “Are you from (name of the different country)?” A second student answers, “No, I’m not.”
2. Expand on this exercise to add the phrase, “I’m from (name of the pictured country).”
3. Introduce other countries that have English as an official language or that use it as a common or main language by showing pictures of the outlines of the countries. For each picture the students raise their hands and make a statement using the, “I’m from (country)” structure if they know which country is pictured. Teach the English name for the country, have the students repeat it a few times, and put the picture on the board with a magnet.
4. After introducing each country, point to the picture cards and pronounce the names of each country again. The students repeat. If the students are pronouncing the names of the country in Japanese (“katakana English”), point out how the pronunciation is slightly different in English. This difference is important. You may wish to have the students take notes if they are having many pronunciation problems.
5. Next just point to a country picture and the students say the name. Repeat the name after them if they struggle. Do this for a few minutes until the students are familiar with the names.
6. Hand out the The World worksheet. Explain that each student will pick a card from the country card bag. The card will have a picture of a country, a picture of the country’s flag, and the name of the country written on it. Explain that the country they should focus their attention on is the one in the picture with no words written on it (the pictures of each country show the outline of the country and also a few of the countries next to it; the countries next to it will be labeled). The students will pretend that they are from the country.
7. All students will try to find one person from each of the countries that they learned about earlier in class. They will write the name of the person on the worksheet beside the country name.
8. The first student to find a person for each of the countries is the winner of the game. A prize may be given for the first few students to finish if you’d like.
9. Pass out the country cards. Tell the students that they have one minute to study their card before they must put it either in their pocket or in their desk. They must memorize their country’s name. They can’t look at the card during the game or show it to each other.
10. Play the game.
11. After this you can play another game if there is time. Tell the students that when you say go, they must get into groups based on their country. For example all of the people with the Canada card would find each other, all of the people with a New Zealand card would find each other, and so on. The students can only use English to find out where other people are from (I’m from Scotland. Are you from Scotland?). The students can’t look at their cards or show them to each other when they are getting into a group. They leave them in their pockets or desks
12. When all of the students have found a group, have the students reveal their cards to check that everyone in the group matches.
13. You can time each class (組) to see how long it takes them to have everyone get into the correct group. Then you can tell the students the next day which class was the fastest in the grade.

Notes
If the students can’t remember the names and pronunciations of all of the countries, you may wish to write the phonetic pronunciation underneath the pictures for each of the countries on the board. Students could use this for reference during the activity. You can also reduce the number of countries that you cover. You should be careful that the students are saying the English names of the countries, not Japanese.

Atlas - Xpeditions @ nationalgeographic.com (http://www.nationalgeographic.com/xpeditions/atlas/) has many other maps if you wish to cover more or different countries.

mteacher80
May 9th, 2010, 22:58
1st Year Unit 3
Self-Introductions

Grammar
Introduction of the phrases “I like” and “I play.” Use of the question form, “Do you …?”
Key Sentences: I like music. I play the guitar. Do you play the piano, too? Yes, I do.
This corresponds to pages 24-27 in the textbook.

Objectives
Structural:
• Students will be able to use and understand questions using the structure, “Do you…?”
• Students will be able to use and understand phrases using “I like…” and “I play…”

Cultural: Students will be able to describe some traditional foods and instruments from some English-speaking countries. Students will be familiar with some popular sports in some English-speaking countries.

Materials
Country Items Picture Cards (included)
Country Flag Picture Cards (included)
Self-Introductions Reference Sheet (included)
Self-Introduction Cards (included)
English Interview handout (included)

Procedure
1. Review “is this…? / is that…?” and introduce items using picture cards. For each item ask a question such as, “Is this a guitar?” The students should realize the answer is no. They can answer using the pattern, “It’s a (name of item).” They can use Japanese for the name of the item if they don’t know the English word. Next introduce the English word. Put the picture on the chalkboard, write the English name under it, and pronounce the word for the students.
2. Next play a listening and translating game. All of the students stand up. Tell the students you will introduce a person from a different country. Use the Self-Introductions by Country sheet as a reference. After each sentence, students who can translate the sentence from English to Japanese or from Japanese to English raise their hands. Call on the first student you see with a raised hand. If the translation is correct, the student can sit down. Play until there are only a few students left standing.
3. Before each introduction, show the flag picture from the country of the person you are introducing. Students can raise their hands to say which country the flag is from and sit down if they are correct. Put the flag on the chalkboard. Then as you read the introduction, move the pictures of the items introduced in step 1 next to the flag picture as you say them. For example for the United Kingdom, you will move the pictures of “fish and chips” and “bagpipes” near the flag for the UK.
4. Take the pictures of the flags off the chalkboard and spread out and mix up the pictures of the items. Give each student 1 self-introduction paper (a slip of paper with the 4 sentences for one of the countries) and 1 copy of the “English Interview” handout. The students interview each other to answer the questions. If they have a good memory from the game in steps 2-3, they can probably answer many of the questions from memory. Tell them to still interview other people so they can check their answers.
5. After the students are finished you may want to tell the students more about the different items and their significance (in Japanese). Refer to the Self-Introductions by Country sheet.
6. During the last few minutes of class, take all of the pictures off of the chalkboard. Put the flag pictures back on the chalkboard, spread out. Then show each item picture. Students who know which country the item is representative of raise their hands and say the country name. Put the item pictures with the correct flags.

Notes
When playing the game in steps 2-3 you may want to stop playing when there are still a few students left instead of waiting until there is only 1 student left so that the last student left does not feel isolated as “the loser.”

Before the game in steps 2-3 you may wish to write the Japanese-English translations for some of the foods on the board or during the game you may wish to accept untranslated words for the food words.

You may want to explain to the student that the United Kingdom has 4 parts: England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales. Each part has its own flag. There is also one flag to represent the unified group of 4. The United Kingdom flag is included with the flag pictures so you can show it to them if you wish, in addition to the individual flags for Scotland and England. Ireland (the Republic of Ireland) is not part of the United Kingdom. Only Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom.

Explain to the students that the items in the pictures and introductions are typical representative items from the countries that are introduced, but that they may be found and used in other countries, too, and that many people don’t necessarily use these items even if they live in the country it represents. They represent traditional, popular, or country-specific objects. A Japanese equivalent would be:
I’m from Japan. I like sushi. I play the koto. I do (play) judo.

mteacher80
May 9th, 2010, 22:58
Ask questions using “Do you___________?”
Answer using “Yes, I do” or “No, I don’t.”

Example: Do you play soccer? Yes, I do.

Scotland
1. play baseball?

2. like haggis?

England
1. play soccer?

2. like fish?

New Zealand
1. play table tennis?

2. play rugby?

Canada
1. like maple syrup?

2. play badminton?

U.S.A.
1. play the piano?

2. play volleyball?

Ireland
1. play the fiddle?

2. like stew?

mteacher80
May 9th, 2010, 22:59
1st Year Unit 4
Breakfast Around the World

Grammar
Use of “what” with the copula (to be) and do to ask questions.
Key phrase: What’s this? It’s a bird. What do you have for breakfast? I have rice and miso soup..
This corresponds to pages 32-33 and pages 36-37 in the textbook.

Objectives
Structural: Students will be able to form and understand questions using what is and what do.

Cultural: Students will be able to describe some traditional breakfast foods from several countries.

Materials
Breakfast Picture Cards (included)
Breakfast Around the World worksheets (included)
Country Cards (included; cut them out)
Magnets
Chalk

Procedure
1. The instructor shows the students each of the food picture cards and asks, “What’s this?” Students raise their hands to answer. Place the picture on the chalkboard with a magnet and write the English word next to the picture after the students answer. If the students do not know the English word, tell them the word, place the picture on the board, and write the English word next to the picture.
2. Take the picture cards off of the board and ask the question (What’s this?) for each picture again. Place the card over the English writing on the chalkboard after the students answer.
3. Ask the students the question one more time to see if they can remember the words now that they are covered. After reviewing, move the card so that the English word is visible again.
4. Pass out the Breakfast Around the World worksheet.
5. Tell the students to write the names of the countries. They write the Japanese name and, if they know it, the English. Go over the answers and write the English words on the chalkboard. Have the students repeat the English pronunciation of each country name.
6. Tell the students that next you will give each person a card that says the name of a country and two foods. The foods are typical foods that are eaten for breakfast in that country. They should write the foods under the “What do you have for breakfast?” section on their worksheet under the correct country. They should remember which country they have and put the card away in a pocket or in their desk.
7. Next tell the students to fill in the worksheet by asking their classmates the questions, “What do you have for breakfast?” and “How about you?” After answering they should say where they are from (according to their card). For example, “I’m from Scotland.” They must not show each other their papers. Students should hold their files or textbooks behind their papers.
8. They may need to ask more than one person to get all of the answers for each country. For example, according to the worksheet, Canada has six answers. Each person’s card only says 2 foods, so to get all six answers, students must ask at least 3 different people.
9. Model the activity with one of the students near the front of the room.
10. After about 10 minutes, have everyone sit down and go over the answers.

Notes
You may wish to give prizes to the first few students to correctly complete the worksheet. Giving prizes may, however, encourage the students to show their answers to each other.

The foods listed for each country are typical foods eaten for breakfast in that country but are just examples. People eat many things that are not listed, and not all people in the countries necessarily eat the foods listed.

3ngrishsensei
May 9th, 2010, 23:12
Thanks for posting these ideas! I may be able to steal some and try them out in the near future. I'm thinking maybe the breakfast one.... If I do, I'll let you know any mods I make (to adjust for my kids) and/or how everything went. If you have used any of them yet, please give feedback! :)

This is a good idea. I should be sharing more of my own. I have some elem. ones I will post when I get the chance to write 'em up proper like you did.

Crab
May 10th, 2010, 08:55
I wish I had the freedom to change the lesson plans for JHS. All I get to do is the warm up game, repeat new vocab after crab sensei, and then run through the roleplay with the teacher. I then get to "walk around" while he writes the sentences on the blackboard and then dissects them word for word, translating into Japanese.

Miss_igirisu
May 19th, 2010, 10:35
JHS (http://jhsenglipediaproject.com/jep.aspx)

This will save you a lot of time and your nice plans will be helping more people.

konekozuki
October 6th, 2010, 09:18
Yeah, that's basically my situation as well. I'm told "if you have any ideas, let me know" but this really means if I have a short game to insert, it maybe-possibly-could happen. Time is not something my JTEs have, so planning a lesson together is pretty much out, unfortunately.

I wish I had the freedom to change the lesson plans for JHS. All I get to do is the warm up game, repeat new vocab after crab sensei, and then run through the roleplay with the teacher. I then get to "walk around" while he writes the sentences on the blackboard and then dissects them word for word, translating into Japanese.

patjs
October 12th, 2010, 09:09
If you're new then give it a year or so. They may start taking your suggestions more seriously after you get some experience under your belt. (at least that's how it worked for me. Not that I often go above and beyond though...)