PDA

View Full Version : Interac august intake 2010

akatsuka
May 10th, 2010, 03:12
I've been given an offer by interac a few months ago and was asked to contact them in may to confirm I still want to work with them. I have done this and am now waiting for a reply. I was wondering if anybody here knows about the interac schedule for august Alts? Reading on this forum for 2009, I think it's all pretty last minute, with most people not even sure whether they are going to japan or not until a few weeks before. Seeing as I currently have a fulltime job, this isn't something that I can except- I can't just drop everything in 2 weeks.

Can anyone share experiences?
Are there any fellow august hopefuls here?

!!DISCLAIMER!!
--please don't use this post as an opportunity to lecture about the bad press interac get - I know all this all too well. I've decided to take the plunge and work with interac over an eikaiwa or another dispatch company for various reasons.
thanks! :)

Grimalkin
May 10th, 2010, 10:27
In my case, I got my offer of employment about 3 weeks after my interview and from then they sent several emails detailing what I had to do before I got to Japan. If they asked if you were still interested its probably a safe bet that you are going to Japan, but I wouldnt go out and buy tickets yet.

Heres the timeline I had-

Middle of May- Offer of Employment
Beginning of June- Received Placement
Beginning of July- Info about when to arrive in Japan and asking you to buy a ticket
Middle of August- Leave for Japan

So, there should be no problem for you yet. There will probably be an email in the next few weeks with an offer of employment and telling you what you need to do next.

akatsuka
May 11th, 2010, 04:49
In my case, I got my offer of employment about 3 weeks after my interview and from then they sent several emails detailing what I had to do before I got to Japan. If they asked if you were still interested its probably a safe bet that you are going to Japan, but I wouldnt go out and buy tickets yet.

Heres the timeline I had-

Middle of May- Offer of Employment
Beginning of June- Received Placement
Beginning of July- Info about when to arrive in Japan and asking you to buy a ticket
Middle of August- Leave for Japan

So, there should be no problem for you yet. There will probably be an email in the next few weeks with an offer of employment and telling you what you need to do next.

Thanks for the info. May I ask; when you say 'letter if employment', does that mean I will definately get a placement/job in japan this august/September? I have heard of people thinking they will go with interac in august, but then due to placements running out they are put on an alternate list until next march.

JD1845
May 11th, 2010, 05:14
I'm interviewing tommorrow for interac in York hopefully I'll be accepted for August I really don't want to wait till next year to go. Again I've got a full time job I was hoping to give notice to really as not to mess them around. Still I'm counting my chickens here really I guess so lets see how this interview pans out....

HareBlare
May 11th, 2010, 05:33
I'm interviewing tommorrow for interac in York hopefully I'll be accepted for August I really don't want to wait till next year to go. Again I've got a full time job I was hoping to give notice to really as not to mess them around. Still I'm counting my chickens here really I guess so lets see how this interview pans out....

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

JD1845
May 11th, 2010, 05:41
I will indeed I'd sure like to know what the situatution with regards to going in august if they say yeah so it'll be a question I can ask them! I'm just finalising my japanese self introduction now :) I've gone for teaching colours for that video part seems easy enough to launch out a few coloured cards. Also hoping that sing a song urban legend i've heard about the interac interview process is false :p

Grimalkin
May 11th, 2010, 07:47
Thanks for the info. May I ask; when you say 'letter if employment', does that mean I will definately get a placement/job in japan this august/September? I have heard of people thinking they will go with interac in august, but then due to placements running out they are put on an alternate list until next march.

Offer of Employment is what it sounds like. It means they want to hire you and you need to finalize it. So you would have a job. I guess them postponing it would be worst case scenario, but I would say if you get that far you are most likely going in August. But then you still have time if you want to wait for more info such as placement before you want to quit your current job.

Saosuke
May 11th, 2010, 08:09
People are still able to apply and leave for Japan with Interac this August? I thought applications were finalized for the year? Do tell.

Shirokuma
May 11th, 2010, 20:07
Offer of employment is required to get a certificate of eligibly to get a work visa. Without COE no work visa no job.

So once you have your COE you are almost 100% certain there is a job for you, until that point it is up in the air.

akatsuka
May 12th, 2010, 04:31
Offer of employment is required to get a certificate of eligibly to get a work visa. Without COE no work visa no job.

So once you have your COE you are almost 100% certain there is a job for you, until that point it is up in the air.

Thanks for the information! Finally I'm starting to get my head around this :) just one other thing- when I (hopefully) get the letter of employment from interac, does that mean I have to then get the coe myself? I thought that was something your sponsor of the visa had to get.

Thanks for sorting my head out- i've been going mad with anxiety! It always helps to talk... ;)

Shirokuma
May 12th, 2010, 08:23
COE is something your employer must get for you, you cannot really get it yourself.

The COE will be put into your passport before you go to Japan (otherwise you land on a tourist visa) Make sure to get it ASAP as processing can take a couple weeks. Sometimes they take longer, some have waited a month in the past.

JD1845
May 12th, 2010, 21:15
Well I did the interview so i guess it just a matter of waiting for a response now from them. I'm hopeful but i did stumble at the start of that performance but recovered at the end, they did all the other personality tests and grammer tests too but we'll see how that goes.

Also there was no indication that we wouldn't be going in August it was pretty much a "get your stuff ready now for us so we don't have to chase you for it"

akatsuka
May 12th, 2010, 21:29
Well I did the interview so i guess it just a matter of waiting for a response now from them. I'm hopeful but i did stumble at the start of that performance but recovered at the end, they did all the other personality tests and grammer tests too but we'll see how that goes.

Also there was no indication that we wouldn't be going in August it was pretty much a "get your stuff ready now for us so we don't have to chase you for it"

Good luck! Hope you get good news soon. Let us know if you go in august-hopefully I'll see you there x

HareBlare
May 13th, 2010, 03:52
So, what does the interview with Interac involve?
Do you have to do an example lesson?
Who do you 'teach' this example lesson to?
Are you asked to speak any Japanese?

Basically, is it anything like the UK JET interview?

Shankerbelle
May 13th, 2010, 05:42
So, what does the interview with Interac involve?
Do you have to do an example lesson?
Who do you 'teach' this example lesson to?
Are you asked to speak any Japanese?

Basically, is it anything like the UK JET interview?

about an hour intro about interac where theyre based, who they are yadda yadda and question time. (All in one big group with other interviewees. I had a couple3 other guys, one who looked exactly like charisma man, and an oxford grad who didnt make it with the JET intake for '09 - he's was pretty cool and bought me a sammich! The third dude was as dull as hell, so i cant remember much about him)

Yes you do give a lesson, to a woman with a camera... you get a flip chart and some pens, i suggest you plan something before you go. (i think colours, numbers and another thing are the choices...) Said woman may nod, furrow eyebrows or even suggest to start again if she thinks your concept may be to complicated or if you suddenly start talking about killing people.

You also have to give an introductory speech to you work colleagues - in Japanese. (Again, just to a chick with a camera)

To me not really like the jet interview, it feels quite informal, you sit at a lil coffee table type thing and "chat". Plus while your not in the interview you can chat to other people as much as you want, i distinctively remember giving lessons on Japanese introductions to charisma man.

Saosuke
May 14th, 2010, 09:04
Hey thanks for the awesome info Sinderella. Now does all of the above occur within one interview?

Shankerbelle
May 14th, 2010, 09:13
Yep, it sure does, I reccomend taking the day off work (if you work) especially if you do not live near oxford (where they hold interviews - well for Londoners anyway) I think we finished at 4, lunch ended at around 2 and who ever interviews first get to escape earlier
Posted via Mobile Device

JD1845
May 17th, 2010, 16:31
Well got a response back from them saying they would be unable to offer a position for augst and said they would be willing to review it for the next intake in March. So I probably gonna say yes to that but take but have a look round in the meantime at the other. i didn't really want to do an conversational school. I wish they hadn't taken my degree off me if they weren't going to give me the job though because now i'm gonna have to chase them up for it to get it back.

HareBlare
May 18th, 2010, 01:59
Well got a response back from them saying they would be unable to offer a position for augst and said they would be willing to review it for the next intake in March. So I probably gonna say yes to that but take but have a look round in the meantime at the other. i didn't really want to do an conversational school. I wish they hadn't taken my degree off me if they weren't going to give me the job though because now i'm gonna have to chase them up for it to get it back.

Oh - that's a long long wait. Is that because they've filled up all of their August placements, or because they... didn't want to give you a job? lol - sorry, that sounds harsh.

Shirokuma
May 18th, 2010, 07:48
Interac interviews more people than it needs especially from out of country. They bid like mad to get contracts from the boards. Sometimes these contracts are for 3 months only sometimes 1 year it is a case by case issue. All of the contracts break the Education Law (the ALT is supposed to team teach the class with the JET, the ALT has no teaching license thus cannot teach by themselves. Because Interac is the employer of those ALTs only Interac can tell them what and how to teach)

There are numerous ongoing lawsuits against interac and others about this issues. Also the continuos employment of an ALT at the same school for more than 1 year breaks the labour law and in Chiba interac was ordered to take 3 months off to comply with the labour law.

The bottom line is that both laws are not being properly applied thus there are spotty applications of both. That is what causes the number of teachers required by interac to fluctuate.

Also now Interac can get loads of desperate GEOS teachers for free.

rhoadesd20
May 18th, 2010, 14:58

Same thing with me. I was told that they lost some big contract so only had about 30-40 places for August. And almost all of those went to people with extensive Japanese language skills, a lot of teaching experience, and about half had TEFL certification (I did not have the third, and only a little of one and two).

But yeah, they said they liked my application and would review it for a March 2011 start date, very long time to wait though, but why not!

JD1845
May 18th, 2010, 16:11
Oh - that's a long long wait. Is that because they've filled up all of their August placements, or because they... didn't want to give you a job? lol - sorry, that sounds harsh.

I'm guessing they wouldn't have asked me about booking another interview if they didn't want to give me a job. Don't worry I'm no stranger to people on internet forums sounding harsh...

Yeah rhoadesd20 there was one ex JET in mine and a girl who had lived in Japan. Compared to my basic japanese language skill and 100 TEFL it didn't really look too good! I mean if a guy turns up that has literally done the same job then your gonna go with the guy that has the experience!

rhoadesd20
May 20th, 2010, 08:17
I'm guessing they wouldn't have asked me about booking another interview if they didn't want to give me a job. Don't worry I'm no stranger to people on internet forums sounding harsh...

Yeah rhoadesd20 there was one ex JET in mine and a girl who had lived in Japan. Compared to my basic japanese language skill and 100 TEFL it didn't really look too good! I mean if a guy turns up that has literally done the same job then your gonna go with the guy that has the experience!

Yup, mine had an ex-Jet, two individuals that did study abroad in Japan, and a person with extensive Japanese language experience, a BA in education, and a TEFL certification.

akatsuka
May 20th, 2010, 14:57
Anyone tired of the automated emails? How about a personal response...? Mmmmm.. makes me feel like a robot. Maybe interac is a mistake...

JD1845
May 20th, 2010, 21:02
Yup, mine had an ex-Jet, two individuals that did study abroad in Japan, and a person with extensive Japanese language experience, a BA in education, and a TEFL certification.

Yeah you can't really argue with that! I can understand really I am applying to other places in the meantime I think its more getting some experience out there first really to put me in a better light. I was worried right at the start of the interview when there was ex ALTs there because I was just thinking how am I gonna compete against this if there aren't places for all people in the room.

I applied to borderlink, AEON, RCS and i would have done altia if there had been jobs going. I applied for some on gaijinpot the other day and there were up 300 plus applications for some of the jobs so at the moment, so without the experience I'm not going to be as qualified as others.

fawkes2004
May 28th, 2010, 08:33
My interview experience was quite different from what I've read, so I thought I would give my two cents! :)

I interviewed in Chicago (this past April), and was told that the whole thing would take an hour. I arrived about 15 minutes before my interview, but was told (essentially) to go away and come back in 20 minutes. The building was more of a studio set-up with open cubicles, so no more than one person could interview at a time.

I went back to the building at my interview time, had the nearly hour-long interview, did my demo lesson, and was sent away (once again) to do my grammar and personality test at a nearby Starbucks. I only saw one other applicant, a rather frightened-looking person, on my way out.

Oh-I had heard that this year, in the U.S. at least, there were only 50-60 positions open for the 120 applicants. This was due, I believe, to Interac losing out on the contract.

Just wanted to share what happened with my experience!
fawkes

akatsuka
June 20th, 2010, 03:32
Any news on the interac front people? I hear some lucky ones have been given placement information already...

HareBlare
June 20th, 2010, 20:49
Really?!

I had an interview with them on Monday. I know that my references have been contacted, so I'm crossing my fingers!

Hikari
June 21st, 2010, 09:58
Good luck!

akatsuka
June 23rd, 2010, 05:47
Really?!

I had an interview with them on Monday. I know that my references have been contacted, so I'm crossing my fingers!

Good luck HareBlare! Was the interview to go out in August or next March? I'm hopefully going in August, though I'm still waiting for my placement. I feel as though I spend half my life waiting for things...!

HareBlare
June 23rd, 2010, 06:31
It was for August. It's all very short notice - flying by the seat of my pants here. I was told we would be informed within 2 weeks of the interview - so that means I should hear THIS WEEK!

I DO still have my alternate status with Jet. But I've resigned myself to the fact that it's highly unlikely I'll be upgraded now. So I'm really glad I looked for alternatives.

Fruity
June 24th, 2010, 04:43
Hey guys, haven't posted here in a while. Anyway, I wasn't successful with JET, but have been offered a position with Interac for this August's intake. I'm also waiting to hear about placement information.

I see you've been shortlisted Hikari - well done ;) And good luck HareBlare

fawkes2004
June 24th, 2010, 11:54
I, too, am waiting to hear my placement...I just got back from a week-long visit to Japan, and I can't wait to move there! I just hope that I'll be on the main island, where all of my friends are...

Neb
June 24th, 2010, 14:02
Just know that visiting Japan != living. Hell, living abroad in Japan != living and working in Japan.

akatsuka
June 24th, 2010, 15:24
Is the august date definate? I heard that training/orientation is anytime from 24/25, but I also heard from another forum that September and october departure dates are possible.

Jojo
June 24th, 2010, 21:46
im not sure how a september or october departure date is possible seeing as thats after the start of the second school semester...

Shankerbelle
June 24th, 2010, 23:26
Congrats Hareblare where there is a will there is ALWAYS a way :)! Also wb Fruity, congrats on getting a spot with interac :)

HareBlare
June 25th, 2010, 02:30
Congrats Hareblare where there is a will there is ALWAYS a way :)! Also wb Fruity, congrats on getting a spot with interac :)

Hi Sinders! And thanks. I've still not heard, but I know the Interac peeps work really late (I got an email from them about 11pm once). So I could hear tonight or tomorrow still.

n107
June 25th, 2010, 07:27
im not sure how a september or october departure date is possible seeing as thats after the start of the second school semester...

It's possible because not everyone accepts the job they are given in the end and some bail shortly after getting here. Then they need to go through the remaining apps and choose a replacement which brings them in late.

At the most recent school added to my list of visits, they told me they had four different Interac ALTs the year before because they all kept quitting for one reason or another and a new one had to be shipped in. So they'd go a month or so with an ALT, a month or so without, over and over.

Jojo
June 25th, 2010, 16:56
It's possible because not everyone accepts the job they are given in the end and some bail shortly after getting here. Then they need to go through the remaining apps and choose a replacement which brings them in late.

At the most recent school added to my list of visits, they told me they had four different Interac ALTs the year before because they all kept quitting for one reason or another and a new one had to be shipped in. So they'd go a month or so with an ALT, a month or so without, over and over.yeah this does happen but enough that they need an extra inake? christ they need to sort out their hiring .. once is enough but 4 times!

Hikari
June 27th, 2010, 20:34
Hi again Fruity! Congrats on the Interac gig. :)

akatsuka
June 30th, 2010, 03:22
Heard any news yet HareBlare? If not I'd give them a poke. Good luck

HareBlare
June 30th, 2010, 06:21
Not heard yet but I'm not concerned. Yesterday I met a guy who had his Interac interview in Oxford and heard way after the suggested 10 working days.

It's become fairly evident to me that Interac are badly organised. So I'm just waiting to see if they get in touch with me - I won't be chasing them.

fawkes2004
June 30th, 2010, 11:28
HareBlare, it took them about a month to get back to me, but they called to verify some information about half-way through and told me that I was a strong applicant. I more or less knew that I had gotten the job for about two weeks before they sent the email. The reason why it took them so long with me was because "they were backed up in Tokyo" and they had Golden Week off. They'll let you know soon enough! :)

patjs
June 30th, 2010, 22:56
Yeah except Golden week was like 2 months ago...

HareBlare
July 1st, 2010, 01:07
Yeah, I don't think the delay is due to anything other than them being disorganised.

fawkes2004
July 5th, 2010, 14:29
Yeah, they were using Golden Week as an excuse, I'm sure...it's frustrating when you wait as long as they tell you it's going to take, and they still don't get back to you. Good luck with the wait! :)

HareBlare
July 5th, 2010, 15:56
I've been offered an Interac position for March. Booyah!