PDA

View Full Version : Elementary lessons [all grades]

3ngrishsensei
May 11th, 2010, 11:19
Let's swap ideas / share feedback.
Post your elementary lessons (for any grade) here.
They don't need to be glorious or super original. Just share.
Some of mine are coming soon (working on typing them up)....

3ngrishsensei
May 11th, 2010, 11:38
Grade level: 4
Duration: 45 minutes
Topic: Asking and expressing feelings

Objectives:

Students will recall and state words to represent feelings (happy, hungry, sad, etc.) when presented with picture cards depicting these feelings.
Students will be able to clearly state the question “How are you?”, and, when asked by the teacher or another student, respond “I am (appropriate emotion here)”.

Materials:

Several large picture cards that represent feelings (ex: happy, sad, hungry, angry, tired, sleepy, cold, hot, sick, etc.)
Smaller karuta sets of cards with the same images (as above). Number of sets needed depends on class size. [optional]
A picture book: How are you? (I used one left by my predecessors that I think was taken from this site: How are you? (http://genkienglish.net/howRU.htm) . However, it can be made by hand by creating pictures of a person who is tired, followed by a picture of a bed, then a picture of a person who is hungry, followed by food, etc. The story lines repeated on each page are How are you? I’m _____. / Here is a ____. Thank you. Any variation of this, with repetition, would do. If you create your own you can use the feelings/nouns you like)

Procedure:
1) Teach the “Hello teacher” song by having students first listen, then sing together; gestures encouraged:
(to the melody of Frere Jacques/ Are you sleeping? - ideas from a common nursery school song, often modified)

Hello Teacher!
Hello Teacher!
How are you?
How are you?
How are you? How are you?
How are you? How are you?
I am happy !
I am happy !

2) Sing the song a second run through with the students, at a faster pace. Have students stand, if you like.
3) Now, sing the song once more with the students, but this time pause after I am … and hold up a feeling picture card (ex: hungry). Students may not know it, so clearly state the word, and have students try it in the next line of the song.
4) Repeat step 3, holding up a different card each time, until students seem to get the hang of it.
5) After all the cards have been used in the song, quicken the pace of the song and run through all cards again. [optional]
6) Have students sit down. Demonstrate the way “How are you” and “I am _” is exchanged and a question and answer between two people (use the JTE or a student for this).
7) Ask the class “How are you?” and hold up a picture card signifying how they should answer (all together). Run through each picture card at least once this way.
8) Review and reinforcement: If possible, create groups and have students play karuta (game where teacher says the word, students race to slap the card first). If karuta isn’t possible, teach the game criss cross (common used game by ALTs/JTEs; source unknown – help me out if you know it):

Students are arranged in rows. The teacher holds up a picture card. Students who wish to answer raise their hand. Teacher selects a student (usually the quickest, but any method can be used here). If the student answers wrong, the question goes to the next student. If a correct answer is given, the student is given the choice of which way? (teach directions: front, back, right left). All students in that direction can sit down, and the game continues until all students are seated.

9) Students return to their seats and listen to the story “How are you?”. Encourage them to join-in, and if time, read twice so students can participate more the second time.

Assessment: All students stand. Select one student to begin. This student chooses any other student standing, and asks, “how are you?”. The student replies, “I’m ___” and the first student may sit down. The student who answered then chooses another student, and so on, until all students are seated. Note: If time is limited and the class is large, students can ask/answer with a partner at the same time as other students, and sit down when finished.

Reflection: I had to keep this lesson fairly fast paced to finish in time. However, my 4th graders are pretty bright and genki as a class, so I think that helped. I played only two rounds of karuta, because the class was leaning towards getting out of hand. Next time I might try make better rules for karuta so it can move quicker (some time was wasted here), any suggestions? (note: I didn’t play criss cross, I included that idea for larger classes and/or ALTs who don’t want to bother making karuta sets). The Hello song is horribly cheesy and repetitive, but students seemed to enjoy it; some students sang it while they were preparing lunch the next period. Teaching the question/answer exchange could have been done smoother. At first the students would repeat “How are you”, instead of saying “I’m __”. It took a bit of gesturing and trail/error demonstrations with volunteer students. Overall I think the objective was met, but parts of the lesson could have been done more effectively (like karuta).

Ini
May 11th, 2010, 12:04
play karuta for 45 min

wow, its like being at a mid year conference.

3ngrishsensei
May 11th, 2010, 12:10
Ini, that's not what the lesson says.... and 45 minutes of karuta with genki 4th graders would be suicide. I strongly advise against this, despite what your mid year conference presented to you.

and go troll some other forum! Let people at least try to be productive in this one....:D

Ini
May 11th, 2010, 12:13
using 2000 words to describe the same old hackneyed lesson plan everyone knows and is even in the fucking team teaching handbook you all get given is productive?

AliDimayev
May 11th, 2010, 12:22
Ini, that's not what the lesson says.... and 45 minutes of karuta with genki 4th graders would be suicide. I strongly advise against this, despite what your mid year conference presented to you.

and go troll some other forum! Let people at least try to be productive in this one....:D

i think you are misguided as to the term 'troll'.

3ngrishsensei
May 11th, 2010, 12:26
I know it's not your style,ini, but if you have a really original lesson - please post it!
I could use some good stuff, I have a lot of elem. visits coming up.
otherwise you're not too much help here.

Ini
May 11th, 2010, 13:01
off the top of my head if you were to do a lesson on planting pumpkin seeds sometime in the next 2-3 weeks they should have grown into full size pumpkins ready for carving by Halloween.

or you could just play fruit basket, I'm sure you have a great lesson plan for that inside you........

3ngrishsensei
May 11th, 2010, 13:32
off the top of my head if you were to do a lesson on planting pumpkin seeds sometime in the next 2-3 weeks they should have grown into full size pumpkins ready for carving by Halloween.

Thanks!
great idea for ALTs who have the resources to do that. Good way to connect to a lot of the kids who's families who are farmers :D

3ngrishsensei
May 11th, 2010, 16:08
Grade level: 6
Duration: 35 minutes
Topic: “Who__?”

Objective:

Students listen and respond to “who ____” questions by saying a person’s name.
Students ask “who likes ____” questions. [optional]

Prior Knowledge: Students have a basic vocabulary for various food items, sports, and can express their interests for these things by saying “I like ____”.

Materials:

Picture cards of various food items, sports, or any topic for which students can express interest.
A classroom set up with desks, preferably

Procedure:
1) Say “who?” and have students repeat once.
2) Motion to yourself and say “who?” (students repeat), then say your name.
3) Motion to the JTE or a student and say “who?” then say his/her name.
4) Repeat step 3 several times, encourage students to chime-in join you when they catch on.
5) Next, tell students you will play a game called “secret friend” (you can actually call it anything you want. In reality, it’s heads up, 7 up. (It was just easier for me to explain meaning of "secret friend" using gestures and examples)
6) There is a song to go with the game, so students will learn this first:
Who, oh who could my secret friend be?
Who, oh who could it be?
(any piggy-back song variation would work if you don’t like this one.)
7) Have students sing aloud with you a few times for practice.
8) Next, show students you want them to put their heads down on their desks.
9) Move quietly around the room and tap the shoulders of number of students (between 4-9, depending on class size).
10) Say “OK!” signaling to students they can look up.
11) Ask, “Who was touched?”, and gesture to your shoulder. Hold your hand up to signal they should do so if they were tapped on the shoulder.
12) Call the students to the front. Explain the rules of heads-up 7-up by making the motion of what you would do sitting at the desk. Demonstrate how you would sneak around and push a student’s thumb down, but only one student, etc.
13) Instruct all the students into starting position, and begin round one.
14) After students have selected, heads up, and sing the song again:
Who, oh who could my secret friend be?......
15) Students who were picked stand up.
16) Say loudly, “My secret friend is _____” and have students repeat. Gesture for one of the students standing to decide who picked him/her by saying these words. Repeat them again if necessary.
17) If the guess is correct; students switch spots. If not, the original student remains up front.
18) Continue until all students have guessed. Then, students up front can reveal who they really picked if no one guessed.
19) Repeat this game for a few rounds. Practicing the song and the phrase “My secret friend is ___” each time.
20) Next, have all students return to their seats.

21) Run through some quick review of picture cards: food, sports, (or whatever likeable items for which you have pictures) [this lesson is to follow a“like” topic lesson]
22) Hand out a picture card to each student, or if not enough cards, choose students to hold picture cards (volunteers, janken, whatever….ideally student can pick the cards themselves). Students with cards can stand at the front or else all students form a circle so cards are visible. Each student will pretend that they like what is on the card.
23) Run through a quick review where each student says “I like (topic on their card)” and move through all the students [optional]

Assessment:
24) Choose a topic a student has on a picture card (ex: baseball), and ask, “who likes baseball?” Motion for any student to answer by raising his/her hand. The student answers correctly by saying the student’s name holding the baseball picture.
25) If all students have pictures, the student who answers correct can go next, “Who likes (picture card someone else is holding)?”, and so on. Students who have already been picked and asked the question can sit down. If not all students have pictures, the questions can be answered any way that fits, while encouraging the students to ask the question, “who likes ____?”

Reflection: The heads-up 7-up game kept the students entertained. There might have been a better way to connect the game to the objective; students were a little confused with the assessment activity, and it took a little bit to get it going. I’ll probably have to review this if we use it again. The game certainly kept them occupied for most of the class.