PDA

View Full Version : I want to leave ASAP. Best program?

youlovetonyt
May 19th, 2010, 07:09
So I am very interested in going over to Japan to teach English, but I would rather not wait a whole year for JET (that's assuming I get accepted if I apply).

Are there any schools that do any sort of rolling acceptance? I would leave next week if I could hahaha.

Gusuke
May 19th, 2010, 08:03
This is the kind of attitude that leads to crappy dispatch companies and schools taking advantage of people with the "Japan or bust" mentality.

You'd be better off just waiting another year for JET.

jboze84
May 19th, 2010, 10:23
Word. Otherwise look for a direct contract. But the odds of finding and procuring one of those are incredibly slim for anyone not already in Japan.

Shirokuma
May 19th, 2010, 11:07
Honestly there are too many teachers without jobs or in poor situations here now. GEOS just failed leaving hundreds scrambling for jobs or tickets out. The eikaiwa market is collapsing with a drop of 400,000 students in the last 5 years (50%).

Japan is not the easy place to find work it was in the mid 90s when there were many schools and various opportunities. Now it is hard, even for us here. I have been out of work for over 2 years, I have been here 10 years now and have a reasonable level of Japanese, permanent residency status, 8 years of teaching experience here as well as more in other places. This economy has hit this area very hard. The jobs that used to pay 250,000 - 350,000 or more and now at 180,000 - 220,000yen. My last full time position paid over 350,000 (overtime plus commutation) now I would be lucky to get 200,000 for the same job.

JET is the best way to come to Japan anymore.

Crab
May 19th, 2010, 13:31
What they said.

Also Japan isn't just pokemon and geisha, what makes you want to come here? If you end up working with a dispatch company you'd probably get all depressed and jaded anyway.

Working here definitely isn't all it's cracked up to be. Wait for JET if you ABSOLUTELY MUST GO TO JAPAN ASAP, the job's easier and the pay's better. You'll also get weekends off which some dispatch companies don't always provide.

WesleyCrusher
May 19th, 2010, 15:31
Why don't you just take a vacation?

Gusuke
May 19th, 2010, 16:15
Honestly there are too many teachers without jobs or in poor situations here now. GEOS just failed leaving hundreds scrambling for jobs or tickets out. The eikaiwa market is collapsing with a drop of 400,000 students in the last 5 years (50%).

Japan is not the easy place to find work it was in the mid 90s when there were many schools and various opportunities. Now it is hard, even for us here. I have been out of work for over 2 years, I have been here 10 years now and have a reasonable level of Japanese, permanent residency status, 8 years of teaching experience here as well as more in other places. This economy has hit this area very hard. The jobs that used to pay 250,000 - 350,000 or more and now at 180,000 - 220,000yen. My last full time position paid over 350,000 (overtime plus commutation) now I would be lucky to get 200,000 for the same job.

JET is the best way to come to Japan anymore.

Get a job job here?

Shirokuma
May 19th, 2010, 16:54
Get a job job here?

job job?

Crab
May 19th, 2010, 16:58
http://ejmas.com/jalt/sakata/haroldsakata(oddjob).jpg

Odd Job?

Gusuke
May 19th, 2010, 16:59
A non ESL job, they most certainly exist

Crab
May 19th, 2010, 17:01
There's an Australian guy working in my local Outback Steakhouse. I didn't think whiteys could get that kind of job if "a Japanese person could do it"?

Gusuke
May 19th, 2010, 17:02
At a party on Saturday I met an American who did the whole shuushoku seikatsu thing and got a job as a programmer at Konami, so it's definitely possible.

Crab
May 19th, 2010, 17:06
Yeah but a preliminary scan of the OPs previous posts suggests he doesn't know any Japanese, there can't be that many non-esl jobs for people like that.

Shirokuma
May 19th, 2010, 17:14
Loads of non-Japanese working in non-ESL jobs, I knew a French guy in Yokohama who worked at Takashimiya

Daimaru is another one that hires non-Japanese.

In the major centres there are actually a lot of "odd jobs" or other non teaching jobs that we can get. Visa is often the issue more so than Japanese ability.

Gusuke
May 19th, 2010, 17:16
Yeah but a preliminary scan of the OPs previous posts suggests he doesn't know any Japanese, there can't be that many non-esl jobs for people like that.

Oh I know, my response was meant for Shirokuma. You would think Japanese ability and PR status would get you out of the craptacular ESL market.

Shirokuma
May 19th, 2010, 17:23
Oh I know, my response was meant for Shirokuma. You would think Japanese ability and PR status would get you out of the craptacular ESL market.

Thanks, you would think that wouldn't you?

In fact that is true were I in a major centre (which I am not) thus ESL jobs are about the only thing to do in the sticks that or make your own stuff happen. Just cause one does not have a job does it mean that one cannot make money though....

Anyway I was merely trying to point out to the OP that the situation here is not great for those who think they can come on a Tourist visa and find a job in a week like people used to 10 years ago. Without a job and or visa lined up the chances of just coming and falling into something are extremely poor.

youlovetonyt
May 20th, 2010, 08:59
im going to get my mba next year, so i was seeing if i could go do this in the downtime before i start the application process, but it seems that it isnt too feasible of an option.

thanks for all the info though !

jandek
May 20th, 2010, 11:05
There's an Australian guy working in my local Outback Steakhouse. I didn't think whiteys could get that kind of job if "a Japanese person could do it"?

Only whitey Americans, who can't get a working holiday visa for japan due to america failing to offer a reciprocal visa status to japan. As a card-carrying Aussie, you could work at Lawsons if you wanted to, but only for a year, right?

Shirokuma
May 20th, 2010, 11:47
3 six month terms? I think 18 months is the max but they are taxed at 25% as they are considered non-residents