PDA

View Full Version : Graduating college and looking for work: JoyTalk, Heart, Interac...

Dr.Zin
May 20th, 2010, 10:47
Hey there... first time poster, so I'm probably already messing up by making the same thread everyone else does, but whatever.

Basically, I'm about to graduate college, studied in Japan and loved it, and now I want to work there as an ALT. I've been perusing GaijinPot and others daily for jobs starting in September, and I found one posting by JoyTalk. It seems to be just what I want, but reviews are kind of sparse on the internet and on this very forum. I've seen a lot of negative reviews, but they all kind of boil down to THEY DON'T PAY ENOUGH, which is certainly an issue. But a lot of those reviews are a year old or older. I want to see if there's any more current reviews.

I'm also going to shoot an application at Heart soon. I know someone who knows someone who works for them, and he seems to be doing alright for himself. I applied to Interac, and they said they may interview me for an April 2011 position, which would be fine, but later than I'd like. Also looking at Aclipse and Altia.

RCS has lots of job ads, but I've heard overwhelmingly awful things about them, so I'm going to stay away. That said, I heard they changed management or something, but I heard that from forum users on one forum who had exactly 1 post and spoke in PR talk... so, you know. Shady.

But yeah, that's basically it. I just want some feedback, advice, whatever. Don't crush my dreams, but be honest.

And if you hadn't already guessed, JET rejected me gooood.

Miss_igirisu
May 20th, 2010, 14:28
Hey,

I have a link that might help you. I'm not crushing your dreams, I just know that the company-ALTs (non-JETs) in my town have a hard time.

http://fukuoka.generalunion.org/alt/index.html

Shirokuma
May 20th, 2010, 15:50
Try other lines of work other than ALT or Eikaiwa. You have a degree in what? Get a masters and try again.

Teach business classes. Better students with much better pay.

Message me if you want loads of details

Dr.Zin
May 21st, 2010, 05:15
I have a degree in communications with a focus in advertising. I'm don't plan on resigning myself to the ALT fate for a very long time... two to three years at most, then I hope to use that as stepping to stone to find real work in Japan...

cheetah1
May 21st, 2010, 05:27
Hey there... first time poster, so I'm probably already messing up by making the same thread everyone else does, but whatever.

Basically, I'm about to graduate college, studied in Japan and loved it, and now I want to work there as an ALT. I've been perusing GaijinPot and others daily for jobs starting in September, and I found one posting by JoyTalk. It seems to be just what I want, but reviews are kind of sparse on the internet and on this very forum. I've seen a lot of negative reviews, but they all kind of boil down to THEY DON'T PAY ENOUGH, which is certainly an issue. But a lot of those reviews are a year old or older. I want to see if there's any more current reviews.

I'm also going to shoot an application at Heart soon. I know someone who knows someone who works for them, and he seems to be doing alright for himself. I applied to Interac, and they said they may interview me for an April 2011 position, which would be fine, but later than I'd like. Also looking at Aclipse and Altia.

RCS has lots of job ads, but I've heard overwhelmingly awful things about them, so I'm going to stay away. That said, I heard they changed management or something, but I heard that from forum users on one forum who had exactly 1 post and spoke in PR talk... so, you know. Shady.

But yeah, that's basically it. I just want some feedback, advice, whatever. Don't crush my dreams, but be honest.

And if you hadn't already guessed, JET rejected me gooood.

Just to let you know, Aclipse is an intermediary for Heart. So if you've already applied for Heart, all Aclipse will do, after completing its application, is forward to you Heart's application.

Shirokuma
May 21st, 2010, 07:40
I have a degree in communications with a focus in advertising. I'm don't plan on resigning myself to the ALT fate for a very long time... two to three years at most, then I hope to use that as stepping to stone to find real work in Japan...

Ok, totally honestly look at the big picture. There is record unemployment among university grads some of whom are actually fluent in English and Japanese unless you are 1kyu Japanese you can't compete with them.

So very FEW people make a successful transition from teaching to something else (bars are big) unless you are carving out your own niche it seems unlikely.

What are you thinking about as "real" work? Forex? Seriously though, head hunting and Forex are the other jobs that are readily available (in TOKYO only)

You are just out of uni with a couple years of teaching why would a Japanese company want to hire you? You would have to have a skill than they do not already have. I am not trying to be an ass I am trying to be real.

I can tell you so many stories of people not making it in Tokyo (Japanese people as well, returnees have huge issues with reintegration especially the women) life is not easy there now.

Gusuke
May 21st, 2010, 08:10
Ok, totally honestly look at the big picture. There is record unemployment among university grads some of whom are actually fluent in English and Japanese unless you are 1kyu Japanese you can't compete with them.

So very FEW people make a successful transition from teaching to something else (bars are big) unless you are carving out your own niche it seems unlikely.

What are you thinking about as "real" work? Forex? Seriously though, head hunting and Forex are the other jobs that are readily available (in TOKYO only)

You are just out of uni with a couple years of teaching why would a Japanese company want to hire you? You would have to have a skill than they do not already have. I am not trying to be an ass I am trying to be real.

I can tell you so many stories of people not making it in Tokyo (Japanese people as well, returnees have huge issues with reintegration especially the women) life is not easy there now.

BS

Hyakuman and Atalante here got salary man jobs after their stints on JET.

Plenty of ex JET's at the returners conference were able to get well paying jobs in Tokyo after JET. Most had to go back to the US to get more experience and skills, but certainly they were able to make it here.

Shirokuma
May 21st, 2010, 08:28
BS

Hyakuman and Atalante here got salary man jobs after their stints on JET.

Plenty of ex JET's at the returners conference were able to get well paying jobs in Tokyo after JET. Most had to go back to the US to get more experience and skills, but certainly they were able to make it here.

Yeah ok you JETs have your own secret society, with a lot of support. No other experience in Japan works the same way. I am not saying it is impossible but as you pointed out they had to get more experience first.

My point is that if this guy expects to land a good ALT job (hired by the school or board) and somehow seamlessly trade up into something else it is a lot tougher. It all comes down to attitude and how bad you want it.

Tarquin
May 21st, 2010, 11:34
Yeah ok you JETs have your own secret society, with a lot of support.

They did it off their own backs, no support from JET/CLAIR whatsoever.

WesleyCrusher
May 21st, 2010, 12:45
Hey,

I have a link that might help you. I'm not crushing your dreams, I just know that the company-ALTs (non-JETs) in my town have a hard time.

http://fukuoka.generalunion.org/alt/index.html

That fucking asshole comes to my eikaiwa so I stopped going.

Miss_igirisu
May 21st, 2010, 13:17
Which arsehole?

Crab
May 21st, 2010, 13:31
I think she's talking about you, Miss_I

Miss_igirisu
May 21st, 2010, 13:44
That was my initial fear..

Alicec18
May 22nd, 2010, 19:15
I'm here to reply on the Joytalk topic specifically.

I'm also currently applying to different companies for an ALT position, and one of my friends had worked for Joytalk for a year from Sept. 2008-Aug. 2009. When I inquired for more info about the company and his input, this is his exact words (copied and pasted from the mail):

"I don't think you would have a problem getting a job with them; basically if you apply, you're most likely going to get the job, but I would not recommend working for that company. They're unprofessional, low pay, lack of help, unorganized, ridiculous training, terrible contract. I have nothing positive to say about this company. The contracts with the BOEs are more important than their ALTs."

So... there. I would say maybe Heart is better than Joytalk, but again... I don't know anyone who had worked for them, and I just started my research on Heart too.