PDA

View Full Version : Writing Activities

SSJup81
May 23rd, 2010, 13:42
Hello everyone. So far, since I've been at the JHS that I'm working for, everything's been going smoothly when it comes to the first and second year English classes, mainly because as most here know anyway, it's mostly verbal communication exercises and simple vocabulary and some writing tossed in here and there. Now, for the third years, I'm having trouble with actually contributing, and the JTE for the class actually spoke with me about it and hopes that we can come up with something to help them be nice and ready when those entrance exams come around next year. He said that if I have any good ideas, to please tell him and explained how for third years, there is a lot of writing and reading.

Okay, the only thing I could think of is to let the students have diary/journal homework assignments to practice their writing and suggested that they maybe write something dealing with their recent school trip to Tokyo. He said that was a good idea, but he hasn't organized anything for them to do so yet. He's really busy most of the time which is why, usually, for his classes, I don't know what he's going to go over until after the fact.

Anyway, what types of writing activities do you feel would work in the classroom for third year JHS students? In the classroom, for the third years, I'm not serving much of a purpose there (and my JTE even said that I come across as bored when in his classes since usually, I'm not doing anything), but I am allowed to come up with activities and pass it on to the JTE.

3ngrishsensei
May 24th, 2010, 09:07
hmm. Writing ideas?

Do yo know any teachers/classrooms or groups of students around the same age back in your home country?
I set up a pen-pal project with one of my classes and the students were really motivated because they knew students from the U.S. would write back.
The teacher in the states was all in because it was a good cultural learning opportunity for his kids.

Also, this would take time, but it might be fun to do a newspaper project in groups. Students could write simple articles about things that interest them. Each student could write for a different section of interest (ex: sports, entertainment, fashion,... poetry?...etc.) It is a good way to show them how to use simple writing strategies in English, for example, asking a question as a lead, etc. They could also add photos, or draw pictures. Obviously, only expect writing at a level they can achieve, but it is good practice. [A good project for an English elective class if you have one]

Miss_igirisu
May 24th, 2010, 14:28
We did an awesome one where kids made groups and made tourist info for certain parts of Japan. They could cut up brochures and stuff and they took like 3 lessons on it. We judged them afterwards. It was awesome.

ps this fits into a lesson towards the end of Total English 2

SSJup81
May 24th, 2010, 18:18
hmm. Writing ideas?

Do yo know any teachers/classrooms or groups of students around the same age back in your home country?
I set up a pen-pal project with one of my classes and the students were really motivated because they knew students from the U.S. would write back.
The teacher in the states was all in because it was a good cultural learning opportunity for his kids. Now that sounds like a really fun idea. Too bad I don't know any old teachers or students of that age range right off...maybe. My old middle school English teacher might still teach there. When I was working at the school a couple of years ago, I found out she did and she actually remembered me. She taught either 7th grade English or 8th grade reading/writing. I know it kinda sucks, but I still have a terrible time remembering her married name. She got married when she was still teaching me and that was like 1994 or something. lol I still called her by her maiden name out of habit. I should pass this idea along to her. Just have to find out if she's still teaching there.
Also, this would take time, but it might be fun to do a newspaper project in groups. Students could write simple articles about things that interest them. Each student could write for a different section of interest (ex: sports, entertainment, fashion,... poetry?...etc.) It is a good way to show them how to use simple writing strategies in English, for example, asking a question as a lead, etc. They could also add photos, or draw pictures. Obviously, only expect writing at a level they can achieve, but it is good practice. [A good project for an English elective class if you have one]Hm, nope, no English elective class, just their regular English classes. I feel that class 2 and class 3 could probably do this activity okay...class 1...dunno. They're a pretty rowdy bunch. lol
We did an awesome one where kids made groups and made tourist info for certain parts of Japan. They could cut up brochures and stuff and they took like 3 lessons on it. We judged them afterwards. It was awesome.Did the students choose the places, or did you or the JTE choose them? Sounds like a nice, creative activity. When judging them, what exactly did you judge them on? Handwriting, creativity, correct usage of English?
ps this fits into a lesson towards the end of Total English 2We're using New Horizon 3. Is Total English 2 equivalent to maybe late year 2 English students and early year 3 English students?

Miss_igirisu
May 24th, 2010, 18:34
Did the students choose the places, or did you or the JTE choose them? Sounds like a nice, creative activity. When judging them, what exactly did you judge them on? Handwriting, creativity, correct usage of English?We're using New Horizon 3. Is Total English 2 equivalent to maybe late year 2 English students and early year 3 English students?

Well, the JTE did most of the classes (they were split into 2 classes since there were 35 in each class) and JTE's classes got given their topics; they jankened and then picked which ones they liked (Osaka, Okinawa, Nagasaki, Shikoku, Hokkaido and Kyoto). I wanted to try to take one of the classes and do it all in English- I said that there was too much unnecessary Japanese being used (lol, I've since given up my willpower on this crusade) and with my class I explained that my family is coming to Japan and could they write them travel guides to places that they think they should go to. This was nice because we got some local stuff too.

Judging was done by students and their parents (it was parents day when they were being shown). Design, English usage and overall interestingness was judged, if I remember rightly.

No idea about New Horizon. Never seen it before, but this is one of the activities in Total English that occurs around January time in the textbook.