PDA

View Full Version : What is fruit basket?

I Am Quailman
June 1st, 2010, 13:51
I didn't go to Tokyo Orientation, instead I went to a 禅 (Zen) garden and meditated about teaching English to students. Through this meditation, I discovered Karuta-tori Game and Fruits Basket.

ten_of_spades
June 1st, 2010, 14:04
What the hell is fruits basket? Is it easier than shouting at the ES kids and making them repeat words for 50 minutes?

I Am Quailman
June 1st, 2010, 14:15
I suggest you take your Tokyo Orientation time and spend it in the center of Yoyogi park and meditate. Fruits Basket will come to you.

(you seriously don't know what it is?)

ten_of_spades
June 1st, 2010, 14:19
It sounds stupid, so I've never bothered to learn. Gary Gaijin don't play that.

ES is either karuta, word searches, drawing pictures or this game where I say a word and they have to find where I've hidden the corresponding card in the classroom. Sometimes I don't even bother to hide cards, so everybody loses.

I Am Quailman
June 1st, 2010, 14:29
LOL

Well how big are your classes? Fruits Basket with less than 15 kids is pretty stupid.

kamukamuume
June 1st, 2010, 14:33
LOL

Well how big are your classes? Fruits Basket with less than 15 kids is pretty stupid.

in that way it's not all that different from fruits basket with more than 15 kids, actually.

ten_of_spades
June 1st, 2010, 14:36
ES classes are 5-10 students.

Stupidity avoided!

Azrael
June 1st, 2010, 14:37
moved to a new thread

I Am Quailman
June 1st, 2010, 14:44
Well the ideal class size is like 20-25.... because you can have 5 varieties (4 or 5 cards each)...

Anyway, for ten_of:

Say you are doing fruit vocabulary... apple, banana, pineapple, watermelon, and lemon. You give each kid a card (or sometimes you can let them decide what they want to be) and have them sit in their chairs (facing inward) in a circle. Everyone asks "What's this?" One child is in the middle (or you), and that oni answers with "It's a ~". For example, "It's a banana" is the phrase. All the kids holding banana cards have to move to another chair (excluding the chair they are in now and the chairs to their immediate right and left). there will always be one less chair than person... so whoever is left over becomes the new oni. However, if the oni says "It's a fruit basket", then every must move to a different chair (following those same rules from earlier). Repeat and reuse. Play for 5 minutes... play for 15 minutes. Good time filler and gets the kids running around.

Crab
June 1st, 2010, 15:12
Fruits basket is a great time-filler, and you can make variations of it, like town basket:

"I live in....town" (the 町 part they live in, make sure to get the JTE to list the towns beforehand), so the kids who live in that area change seats. If there's only one, they swap seats with the oni. If there are none, try again. If they say the name of the city, "I live in.....city" then all the little bastards change seats.

You need to be careful with desks/corners of tables so they don't rip their heads open. Also they seem to think it's hilarious to fall over in the middle of the floor, once one kid starts doing it they all do it.

Tarquin
June 2nd, 2010, 15:36
You need to be careful with desks/corners of tables so they don't rip their heads open. Also they seem to think it's hilarious to fall over in the middle of the floor, once one kid starts doing it they all do it.

move the desks and have them sit in a circle?

Say you are doing fruit vocabulary... apple, banana, pineapple, watermelon, and lemon. You give each kid a card (or sometimes you can let them decide what they want to be) and have them sit in their chairs (facing inward) in a circle. Everyone asks "What's this?" One child is in the middle (or you), and that oni answers with "It's a ~". For example, "It's a banana" is the phrase. All the kids holding banana cards have to move to another chair (excluding the chair they are in now and the chairs to their immediate right and left). there will always be one less chair than person... so whoever is left over becomes the new oni. However, if the oni says "It's a fruit basket", then every must move to a different chair (following those same rules from earlier). Repeat and reuse. Play for 5 minutes... play for 15 minutes. Good time filler and gets the kids running around.

This is literally what I did today because I was bored of the stupid card pair game I was supposed to do.
I don't use cards though, little fuckers kept ruining them so now they get nothing and have to remember.

Crab
June 2nd, 2010, 22:51
move the desks and have them sit in a circle?

This is literally what I did today because I was bored of the stupid card pair game I was supposed to do.
I don't use cards though, little fuckers kept ruining them so now they get nothing and have to remember.

No, they sit in a circle but I mean the desks/tables around the sides. We push them back as far as possible, but they run and dive for the chairs and sometimes they come a bit too close for comfort.

Tarquin
June 3rd, 2010, 09:29
Ah, that's darwinism coming into play then.