PDA

View Full Version : Let's converse in Japanese -- Video Chat Style

miks
June 13th, 2010, 11:55
On the day of : 8/28/2010 (Saturday)
At the time of: 5PM EST (+Daylights savings)
At the address: speak_japanese - Tinychat (http://tinychat.com/speak_japanese)

Crab
June 13th, 2010, 13:42
Talking with other foreigners in Japanese is a really bad idea, IMO.

Good luck with it.

jandek
June 14th, 2010, 09:39
yes, best to stick with the ALT Pidgin then fully commit to one or the other.

miks
June 14th, 2010, 10:11
誰もあらわれなかったからもうどうでもいいじゃない :/

jandek
June 14th, 2010, 10:13
あらら、ちょっとでも元気出せよ、みっくちゃん。前向き、前向き。

enigmaneo
June 14th, 2010, 14:33
Why is it a bad idea to talk to other foreigners in Japanese? That does't make sense to me.

jandek
June 14th, 2010, 14:40
i think it a wonderful idea, and i rather like it. if you are going to master the language to a decent degree, at some point you have to make the transition from practicing/learning japanese to speaking japanese. one of the ways to make the transition more natural is to speak it with other foreigners who have similar linguistic goals.

if they do not, then we just quote Plath back and forth until we find something that interests us both. just like in that book, the Bell Jar.

AliDimayev
June 14th, 2010, 14:41
Talking with other foreigners in Japanese is a really bad idea, IMO.

Good luck with it.

I do it all the time. How else am I supposed to talk to the Chinese lady at her restaruant or the Brazilian guy who pumps my gas or the Russian guy or works at the convenience store????

enigmaneo
June 14th, 2010, 14:46
Yes, speaking as much as possible is good.

Crab
June 14th, 2010, 15:07
OH ALI.

My problem with this is that if you make any mistakes then the others might not pick up on it.

You may also pick up someone elses's mistakes, thinking they're correct.

Having a Japanese class with other non-native English speakers is normal, I had some chinese/koreans in my Japanese classes, but willingly seeking out other crackers when you could probably find someone with proper Japanese near you is a strange idea to me.

Gusuke
June 14th, 2010, 17:48
There's nothing wrong in talking to foreigners who don't know English in Japan

But there's nothing dorkier than a bunch of honkies who all know English to talk in Japanese to each other.

jandek
June 15th, 2010, 10:28
serious question -

what about when you're in mixed company, say a 6 person scenario - 4 japanese people, 2 JET crackers hanging out, drinking. the 4 japanese people dont speak english. the two whitey fords have been in japan for a while and are more than comfortable with the language. everyone is good friends. the lowest common denominator language in the social setting is clearly japanese - is it more natural for the two white people to break the japanese flow by shooting back and forth in English behind their non-english speaking friend's backs because it is their common, native tongue, or is it more natural (and polite?) for all 6 people to just stick to one language for the evening?

Crab
June 15th, 2010, 10:44
The thought of english-speaking whiteys speaking to each other in Japanese makes me cringe. I've been in that situation before and I've tried both, switching to english has always been better for me despite having a Japanese degree, and my Japanese friends have always been fine with it. They are close friends though, and they like the idea of listening to native speakers of english, even if they "can't" speak themselves.

Personally if I'm with Japanese friends and a couple of crackers I'll talk more to the Japanese people because I won't see them as often as the whiteys.

tenderRondo
June 15th, 2010, 13:15
You know you lead a sad life when you cant manage to scrounge up some Japanese people to practice speaking with.

WesleyCrusher
June 15th, 2010, 14:28
serious question -

what about when you're in mixed company, say a 6 person scenario - 4 japanese people, 2 JET crackers hanging out, drinking. the 4 japanese people dont speak english. the two whitey fords have been in japan for a while and are more than comfortable with the language. everyone is good friends. the lowest common denominator language in the social setting is clearly japanese - is it more natural for the two white people to break the japanese flow by shooting back and forth in English behind their non-english speaking friend's backs because it is their common, native tongue, or is it more natural (and polite?) for all 6 people to just stick to one language for the evening?

in those situations it's fine. i think the issue was whether it is strange for english speaking people to talk amongst themselves in japanese. to each his/her own, dorkiness aside. can be a good "secret language" if you want to whisper sweet nothings over the phone and other people are around.

Crab
June 15th, 2010, 14:37
I have this mental image of being at an izakaya with a load of Japanese people, and these two whiteys turn to each other, and one's like

ANATA DAIJOUBEW?

DAIJOUBEW DESU YOH

YOKATTA DESU NEH

SO DESU NEH

jandek
June 15th, 2010, 16:03
and every conversation ends with the hateful words GO BACK TO CHINA, BITCH

WesleyCrusher
June 15th, 2010, 16:20
chut up

Gusuke
June 15th, 2010, 16:23
I have this mental image of being at an izakaya with a load of Japanese people, and these two whiteys turn to each other, and one's like

ANATA DAIJOUBEW?

DAIJOUBEW DESU YOH

YOKATTA DESU NEH

SO DESU NEH

This sounds like my personal hell

when I was at Sophia I had some cracker talk to me in Japanese for some reason, so I just responded back in English.

HOMIE DON'T PLAY THAT GAME

jandek
June 15th, 2010, 16:57
it's a heritage language; wear it with pride.

miks
June 19th, 2010, 22:35
Hi all, just wanted to drop by to say there will be a video chat for Japanese tonight.

Free Video Chat with Music & Video Sharing (http://www.zorap.com/wyahfqg)
Start: 9PM EST, Saturday! Until 10PM (or later)

In as much Japanese as you know!

Tarquin
June 20th, 2010, 00:54
can i be topless?

drunkness aside: Whilst i find this adorable that you guys want to practice (and should be commended for this) at the same time, talking Japanese to other foreigners is like if you practiced talking French to a Mexican person. Errors Ahoy!

Whatever though.

edit: this zorap thing is gay. Use tinychat

miks
June 20th, 2010, 10:01
Hey all, just so you know, this is right now!

UPGRAYEDD
June 20th, 2010, 11:00
I asked my J-GF™ if she wanted to watch but she was like nonononono.

She's still scared from our chat roulette experience.

miks
July 4th, 2010, 02:45
Hey all, let's video chat tonight!

Free Video Chat with Music & Video Sharing (http://www.zorap.com/wyahfqg)
Start: 9PM EST, Saturday, 7/3! Until 10PM (or later)

In as much Japanese as you know!

There's also guests joining in from two other communities :)

miks
August 29th, 2010, 03:21
Hey all, (I've been forgetting to post here but)we're meeting as usual :)A few weeks ago we reached a record of 14 participants, so I expect this week to also be a great success!

On the day of : 8/28/2010 (Saturday)
At the time of: 5PM EST (+Daylights savings)
At the address: speak_japanese - Tinychat (http://tinychat.com/speak_japanese)

3ngrishsensei
September 16th, 2010, 09:17
You know you lead a sad life when you cant manage to scrounge up some Japanese people to practice speaking with.

I don't think people do it from lack of j-friends. It's just you have to start at a reasonable level. Some of my j-friends understand how to talk slower, and use simple language that I can understand - those are the best for conversation, obviously. But it's probably easier to find other j-go learners to have elem. conversations with, so I won't rule out other foreigners.
Anyone know of any good j-go sites that have forums for convo. grouped out by level? I should start doing this sort of thing in Japanese. But I don't want to get demolished, my j-go is still really sucky.

nihonjinjanai
September 27th, 2010, 23:06
Anyone know of any good j-go sites that have forums for convo. grouped out by level?

www.lang-8.com (http://www.lang-8.com) is a site where you can go to satisfy some of your j-go needs. It's helped me out quite a bit.
edit: It's not grouped by level, but you get help from the native speakers nonetheless.

Azrael
September 28th, 2010, 08:25
the fact these chats all happen on saturday nights says a lot about the people involved....

3ngrishsensei
September 28th, 2010, 11:06
Surely they'd rather spend it like you. ;)

patjs
October 2nd, 2010, 16:50
drowning your sorrows with a bottle of nikka is certainly more enjoyable than talking to other weeboos in Japanese over the internet.

Tarquin
October 4th, 2010, 13:39
KON-NII-CHEE-WAHHH

Azrael
October 6th, 2010, 08:58
WA-TA-SHI-WA.....WA-TA-SHI-WA.....er.....WA-TA-SHI-HAjohnSAN! WA-TA-SHI-WA-E-I-GO-NO-SE-N-SE-I!YO-RO-SHU-KU-O-NE-GA-I-SHI-MA-SU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waldroon
October 6th, 2010, 10:43
I'm lost already.

Tarquin
October 6th, 2010, 13:17
we can't all be as linguistically gifted as me and az.