PDA

View Full Version : Is there is reletationship between Hiranjana and Kanji?

brad12
June 14th, 2010, 19:22
In some website I read that there is little bit similarity between Japanese Hiranjana and Kanji.If it is true I am interesting to knowing the relationship.

AliDimayev
June 14th, 2010, 20:13
Yes, hirgana evolved out of how certain kanji looked when written very quickly in a 'cursive' like script.

Example

The kanji 安 became the hirgana あ.

puzzlepiece
June 16th, 2010, 09:37
I heard that people smoked a lot of hiraganja when they made up all those crazy kanji.

Natron
June 16th, 2010, 12:35
Man'yōgana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man%27y%C5%8Dgana) has your answers.

Or if you're in to that kind of thing, there's always hentai-gana.

Hentaigana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hentaigana)

UPGRAYEDD
June 17th, 2010, 00:26
愛羅武勇

jboze84
June 17th, 2010, 10:02
In some website I read that there is little bit similarity between Japanese Hiranjana and Kanji.If it is true I am I am interesting to knowing the relationship.

Were you drunk when you made this thread?

Crab
June 17th, 2010, 10:41
I think what boze is asking is "Is there a reletationship between alcohol and poor spelling?"

Lego
June 17th, 2010, 13:31
I think the real question is whether the OP is a Japanese troll or someone who is really good at imitating a Japanese troll.

wry bread
June 17th, 2010, 14:46
I am I am interesting in knowing what osake you drank when create this thred.

armchairpatriot
June 19th, 2010, 07:10
Both sets of kana evolved out of Kanji that were commonly used for thier sound rather than meaning (thus making it easier for all concerned to create a set of simple characters that just had a sound and not a meaning) did they not?

I think Katakana was orignally "just for women" as Kanji and Hiragana were only taught to intellectuals, who were men. Though how you can read anything written in just kana is beyond me, it'd all blur into one mass of letters if you didn't use spaces.

UPGRAYEDD
June 19th, 2010, 13:51
Both sets of kana evolved out of Kanji that were commonly used for thier sound rather than meaning (thus making it easier for all concerned to create a set of simple characters that just had a sound and not a meaning) did they not?

I think Katakana was orignally "just for women" as Kanji and Hiragana were only taught to intellectuals, who were men. Though how you can read anything written in just kana is beyond me, it'd all blur into one mass of letters if you didn't use spaces.

You got it backwards.

The old word for hiragana is 女手.

Katakana was originally used by men only who used it as a cursive form of kanji. It also took on a new life in the 30s as the basic writing for military manuals so uneducated men could read them. Katakana was actually banned for a short time by the GHQ after the war because of the association.

sakaeyellow
July 2nd, 2010, 21:27
Hiragana are in fact deformed Kanji.

I Am Quailman
July 7th, 2010, 13:15
You got it backwards.

The old word for hiragana is 女手.

Katakana was originally used by men only who used it as a cursive form of kanji. It also took on a new life in the 30s as the basic writing for military manuals so uneducated men could read them. Katakana was actually banned for a short time by the GHQ after the war because of the association.

This is quite true on accounta my grandpa (pressumably) killed a Japanese guy in WWII and took his military guide. I was going through his stuff in the attic with my parents after he died and found a chest with a buncha stuff in it... including blood stained pictures and military guides all in katakana.

No lies.

Crab
July 7th, 2010, 13:17
Man I'd like to see that, scan it in when you get home!!

Traditional martial arts dojo here often write their instructional material in katakana. The densho are often nothing BUT kanji though.

I Am Quailman
July 7th, 2010, 13:20
Definitely will. I went home for Christmas a couple years back man my parents were sorting through it and showed it to me. They asked me what it said... but FUCK MAN... I HATE READING KATAKANA. For some reason its harder to read than hiragana (when it's all katakana, that is). ANyone else have that problem?