PDA

View Full Version : Critique my Japanese study methods

Mindflux
June 21st, 2010, 14:20
Currently use:
Anki for sentences (mostly grammar practice)
smart.fm (primarily for vocab)
kanzen master 3kyuu (for grammar)
writing in japanese to friend for correction
listen to music while actually actively trying to figure out the lyrics (real helpful, now I can overhear conversations without actively trying)

I just finished the book which I'd already known 90% of. Never paid attention to JLPT but figured I should take N3 since i think I could pass it and it sounds vaguely useful unlike the lower levels.

Anki is good.

I've become less enthused with smart.fm lately. It's buggy and awkward and their vocab list is kind of retarded. (i.e. three words for "management" before かぞく? and typewriter? seriously? typewriter?) It's pretty helpful for learning Kanji without much effort though.

So, suggestions?
I need a new book. I guess I could grab the kanzen 2kyuu book.
I think I need a method to learn kanji properly beyond absorbing them as I go along. Good at memorizing stuff so that's worked pretty well so far but I should probably learn all the radicals and all the readings I've missed.
Anything else I'm overlooking or some good materials I could use?

I Am Quailman
June 21st, 2010, 15:08
I'm currently using twitter as a means to study. Everytime I study a new grammar point, I make a post on twitter containing three things:

1)The grammar point in question
2)Explanation/definition of point
3)Sample sentence

All in Japanese (writing the definition in japanese is a good way to make you think of round about ways of saying one thing)

check it out if you want.

twitter.com/JLPTstudy

vertigo_stick
July 1st, 2010, 12:20
For kanji I like the Kanji Kentei Step series. I just picked up the 3kyu book.

HOWEVER...it's not geared towards JLPT levels so it might actually not be the best way to study if your goal is the JLPT.

I also have the 'sougou matome' kanji book for JLPT2 and I thought the presentation and system in that book was quite nice. You study about 10 or so kanji with example words a lesson, have a little quiz, and there's a big quiz every 7 lessons, and a big test at the end of the book.

brad12
February 8th, 2011, 19:43
Actually I am also agree learning using books is easy also and good for knowledge. It will give deep knowledge and better knowledge. But in today's day we cam find no of website, from which you can learn japanese language.

Shankerbelle
February 8th, 2011, 20:27
For kanji I like the Kanji Kentei Step series. I just picked up the 3kyu book.

HOWEVER...it's not geared towards JLPT levels so it might actually not be the best way to study if your goal is the JLPT.

I also have the 'sougou matome' kanji book for JLPT2 and I thought the presentation and system in that book was quite nice. You study about 10 or so kanji with example words a lesson, have a little quiz, and there's a big quiz every 7 lessons, and a big test at the end of the book.

What is the Sougou Matome, im guessing a book right? I tried to find out about it but Google just vomited on my lap.

Kuro2Flo
March 10th, 2011, 06:11
I've gone through Minna Nihongo, which is great for quick referencing grammar points that I've forgotten. Although I was wondering if someone could recommend a more advanced book, since minna nihongo runs out after 2 I think. Recently I've been using Tae Kim's guide as a quick check resource to brush up on things I had forgotten.

Anyway, recommendations?

Miss_igirisu
March 11th, 2011, 14:04
I've said it before but this is all you need for Japanese study-

Your choice of textbook. I did Japanese for busy people when I was in high school but did minna at uni. They were ok.

A grammar dicionary. They are usually quite expensive.. I use the White one with tea cups on it I think it's called どんな時に使う or something.

Japanesepod101 podcasts

Lang-8.com for writing. I cannot express fully how useful this is.

Some kind of site that will let you use your language on real Japanese people, like shared talk. They have a new website too for playing games in Japanese but the hours are decided and I'm never online when it's Japanese hours. If anyone has used this do let me know how useful it is.

Your choice of real Japanese media. Dramas, anime, manga, movies whatever.

That should be enough.

wicket
March 11th, 2011, 21:15
livemocha.com

Kuro2Flo
March 24th, 2011, 07:28
I've said it before but this is all you need for Japanese study-

Your choice of textbook. I did Japanese for busy people when I was in high school but did minna at uni. They were ok.

A grammar dicionary. They are usually quite expensive.. I use the White one with tea cups on it I think it's called どんな時に使う or something.

Japanesepod101 podcasts

Lang-8.com for writing. I cannot express fully how useful this is.

Some kind of site that will let you use your language on real Japanese people, like shared talk. They have a new website too for playing games in Japanese but the hours are decided and I'm never online when it's Japanese hours. If anyone has used this do let me know how useful it is.

Your choice of real Japanese media. Dramas, anime, manga, movies whatever.

That should be enough.

Thanks for the lang-8 suggestion. Made an account a few days ago and I'm astounded at how helpful it is.