PDA

View Full Version : JLPT practice tests

Mindflux
June 23rd, 2010, 10:49
They have "sample questions" on the jlpt website for each level. Are those whole practice tests? Seems too short to be full tests.

Crab
June 23rd, 2010, 12:37
http://nihongoden.blogspot.com/2009/02/past-jlpt-level-2-exam.html (http://nihongoden.blogspot.com/2009/02/past-jlpt-level-2-exam.html)

Mindflux
June 23rd, 2010, 13:09
I'm looking into N3 however...
maybe do level 2 dec '11

Crab
June 23rd, 2010, 13:19
Ah I see, there should be some level 3 on that site?

Yep, shitloads:

Nihongo Den 日本語デン: その他: Past JLPT Level 3 Exam Papers (http://nihongoden.blogspot.com/2009/02/past-jlpt-level-3-exam.html)

Mindflux
June 23rd, 2010, 13:32
not level 3. N3.

They can't have shitloads of past level n3 exams because they've never issued one before. This is why I'm asking about the material on the jlpt website.

Crab
June 23rd, 2010, 13:43
Haha I try and do you a favour!

There hasn't been an N3 test yet, so there won't be full papers. I've heard they're pretty much exactly the same as the old level 3.

I just looked at 2kyu, that looks much the same as a full paper.

Lego
June 23rd, 2010, 13:52
not level 3. N3.

They can't have shitloads of past level n3 exams because they've never issued one before. This is why I'm asking about the material on the jlpt website.

Then I guess the best answer to your original post is "no".

Mindflux
June 23rd, 2010, 14:29
N3 is supposed to be half way in between old 3 and old 2.

There are 5 levels now.

old 3 matches up with N4.

I did some old 3 practice tests and got over 90%

Did the practice questions for N3 and got like 60%...

Maybe I should just start studying for 2...

enigmaneo
June 25th, 2010, 10:38
N3 is supposed to be half way in between old 3 and old 2.

There are 5 levels now.

old 3 matches up with N4.

I did some old 3 practice tests and got over 90%

Did the practice questions for N3 and got like 60%...

Maybe I should just start studying for 2...

Same thing with me. I think I'll just go at it blind, no practice tests and no studying. But N3 based on the questions on the JLPT website is harder than I thought it would be.

Lego
June 25th, 2010, 12:10
They test your ability to recognize grammar patterns that nobody ever uses. Studying is good.

Crab
June 25th, 2010, 13:03
Man I hate the JLPT

enigmaneo
June 25th, 2010, 13:14
learning Japanese is fun.

Crab
June 25th, 2010, 13:39
If only there were some other way to learn kanji that aren't in use and grammar points that the Japanese themselves don't use.

Ah it's all so incovenient.

Lego
June 25th, 2010, 14:18
Is it as inconvenient as humanly possible? If so, Gezora should force his superiors to take the JLPT if they don't let him take his vacation.

dontreadonme
June 26th, 2010, 11:39
I agree with the person who said that the n3 is harder than they expected. I did he sample n4 on the jlpt page and it was so easy. Then I tried the n3 and only did the first 20 questions because it was so hard and I got frustrated. I mostly guessed and got 55% right but that is because I could read slowly and take my time. On the real test, I would bomb it in a big way.

I think it is unfortunate that the new test is set up so that the old 3 is equivalent to the new n4. I think people will subliminally/subconsciously equate the new n3 and the old 3 as being roughly equivalent. So even though the n3 is much, much harder than the old 3, I don't think it is going to get much respect so there is probably no point in taking it. I am not going to even bother taking the n3. I am just going to wait until I am ready for the n2.

Lego
June 28th, 2010, 09:55
Don't be surprised when the N2 is much, much harder than the N3. Or when the N1 is much, much harder than the N2... ... ...

dontreadonme
June 28th, 2010, 11:43
The n3 seemed much closer in difficulty to the n2 than it did to the n4. The sample questions for the n3 do not seem to me to be a midway point between the n2 and n4. But maybe the actual n3 will be more in the middle of the two. But if the real n3 is like the sample questions, then you might as well study a little more and take the n2.

Can't wait until July 4 to find out what the n3 is really like from people who take it. I am so excited to hear about it.

Mindflux
June 28th, 2010, 13:15
The n3 seemed much closer in difficulty to the n2 than it did to the n4.

It's not. I did N4 with no problems, easy. I did N3 and I had significant trouble. A lot of the words I recognized but didn't know well or at all but I could get a good idea of the meaning from the context. The grammar tripped me up here and there but was mostly ok. It seemed overall like a couple months of study would have me well set to pass with ease.

I looked at the N2 questions and was basically entirely clueless. Didn't know most of the grammar, didn't or only vaguely knew lots of the kanjis. I was lucky when I could make an educated guess.

So, in short, N2 is way more difficult than N3

dontreadonme
June 28th, 2010, 13:34
So do you think that the n3 is pretty much midway between the n4 and n2 or do you think it is closer to the n4 end of the spectrum?

What are you going to do? Are you going to wait until you are ready for the n2 or are you going to take the n3?

Lego
June 28th, 2010, 14:19
N1 is the level that matters, so why is there so much debate over whether to gradually step up or to hold out until the N2?

dontreadonme
June 28th, 2010, 16:27
It seems that you are just being argumentative for the sake of it. That sort of puts you in the troll category. I say this because pretty much everyone knows that if you want to get a job or get into school in Japan then the requirement is usually either n2 or n1. So for a job or school only requiring n2, taking the n2 would be a perfectly valid choice. But I think you knew that, which is why you really must be just looking to cause trouble by making statements like only the n1 counts.

Is the n1 more meaningful than the n2?...of course. But is the n2 enough for a lot of jobs and schools?...uh, yeah. I've never heard of anywhere in Japan that required the level 3 or 4, but plenty ask for the 2 or above. Whether or not the n3 will be adopted as a minimum proficiency level by any employers or schools remains to be seen.

UPGRAYEDD
June 28th, 2010, 20:21
You should think of N2 as a basic minimum because a few hundred people with 1級 certification will gladly be applying for any job listing N2 as a requirement.

dontreadonme
June 29th, 2010, 02:16
If an employer posted n2 rather than n1 as a requirement then they obviously don't much care if you have n1. Obviously, there are other factors they are looking at such as experience, education, personality, etc. If they can count on hundreds of applicants with n1 applying and n1 were really important to them, then they would require the n1 instead of the n2. If they already have hundreds of applicants just in the pool of people with n1, then they must have thousands included in the pool with n2. Do you really think that human resources wants to sort through thousands of applications?

How about a little logical thinking? If they were planning to just exclude the people who only have n2 and they can count on hundreds of people with n1 applying, they would just require n1 to begin with and save themselves the trouble of having to throw into the garbage thousands of cv's from n2's that they aren't even going to consider.

LeggoMyEigo
June 29th, 2010, 06:20
How about a little logical thinking? If they were planning to just exclude the people who only have n2 and they can count on hundreds of people with n1 applying, they would just require n1 to begin with and save themselves the trouble of having to throw into the garbage thousands of cv's from n2's that they aren't even going to consider.

Pretty much this, although more qualifications for anything in Japan, never mind the use value, tends to equal extra boner points.

While shooting high does not hurt JLPT wise, no need to be disconcerted if you have n2 but not n1 yet, especially if you have a variety of other marketable skills and qualifications.

Crab
June 29th, 2010, 08:42
I'm just amazed people think they can just do the JLPT and get a job. I've met plenty of people with JLPT 1kyu who can't speak for shit.

If your idea of an ideal job is sitting in an office surrounded by people you can't converse with then go for it.

Lego
June 29th, 2010, 09:13
That sounds a lot like an argument of someone who is jealous that he can't pass 1kyuu.

Crab
June 29th, 2010, 10:49
No, I'm working towards it, but I just find it incredibly frustrating that so much emphasis is placed on learning kanji that aren't used, and with absolutely no focus on speaking.
I met an autistic type guy who passed 1kyu after about 2 years of living in Japan, and he could barely hold a conversation.

Lego
June 29th, 2010, 11:17
Yes, it's definitely frustrating that people with very questionable ability to function within the society can be certified as...proficient? Certainly not fluent. Anyway, it's a necessary evil for certain jobs. 1kyuu alone certainly won't get you very far, but it's a good way to help in getting an interview.

As for N2 vs. N1, I just don't see the point in striving for the bare minimum of what you need for a job.

kamukamuume
June 29th, 2010, 11:51
ultimately if you have 1kyu, then you can get the basic meaning of most paperwork pretty easily, and you can probably get the gist of conversations somewhat well by listening to them.

was that the purpose of the JLPT from the get-go? lord knows. seems like those are important skills, but if they're all you have, you're fucked. but then, when tests are made in Japan, they balloon into some kind of beast and lose all practicality somewhere along the way. ultimately the jlpt is made by japanese people, so I trust that the content itself is minimally better than the eiken or a college entrance exam's english, but it's still not an end-all be-all.

but hey, I'll take it. the way I see it, it's like one achievement of many. I still have to learn to write lots of the kanji I learned, but reading has become much easier for me. the day I found out I passed the 1kyu, it was like, "okay, now I can focus on speaking and reading everyday japanese."

Lego
June 29th, 2010, 12:09
I find the listening and reading sections of Eiken to be harder than the JLPT, partly because they use lots of idioms and, I think, more difficult vocabulary.

Mindflux
June 29th, 2010, 20:48
So do you think that the n3 is pretty much midway between the n4 and n2 or do you think it is closer to the n4 end of the spectrum?

What are you going to do? Are you going to wait until you are ready for the n2 or are you going to take the n3?

Well, since N2 is beyond me I can't really judge very accurately. It's significantly more difficult than N4 and significantly less difficult than N2, it was easier than I had expected but I think the real test will be harder than the practice questions.

I'm thinking I'm just going to start studying for N2 and then take N3 this winter which should be a breeze by then. Maybe do N2 the next winter.

Muts
July 1st, 2010, 09:49
I can see JLPT qualifications as being of use to employers in that they show a reasonable reflection of your reading ability.
For example an hour long interview in Japanese is probably going to give them a better idea of your speaking ability than a JLPT including an oral exam would do anyway, but reading ability is harder to measure in an interview without setting an extra exam too.

As other people have said it also might help to show that you aren't a complete chancer and are worth interviewing.

What sort of jobs are people planning on staying in Japan long term aiming for?

enigmaneo
October 6th, 2010, 07:50
Same thing with me. I think I'll just go at it blind, no practice tests and no studying. But N3 based on the questions on the JLPT website is harder than I thought it would be.
I take that back. Apparently it was easier than I thought. I passed with no problems.

brad12
November 1st, 2010, 19:33
u can see the all level for JLPT (http://www.learnjapanesefree.com/Japanese-Language-Proficiency-Test.html) here....

Learning Japanese (http://www.learnjapanesefree.com/) | Hiragana (http://www.learnjapanesefree.com/japanese-hiragana.html) | Kartakana (http://www.learnjapanesefree.com/katakana.html)

Jojo
November 2nd, 2010, 08:39
u can see the all level for JLPT (http://www.learnjapanesefree.com/Japanese-Language-Proficiency-Test.html) here....

Learning Japanese (http://www.learnjapanesefree.com/) | Hiragana (http://www.learnjapanesefree.com/japanese-hiragana.html) | Kartakana (http://www.learnjapanesefree.com/katakana.html)
that site is fucking terrible - every second word is adlinked so you have no idea where the real links are

MJN
January 16th, 2011, 01:18
http://nihongoden.blogspot.com/2009/02/past-jlpt-level-2-exam.html (http://nihongoden.blogspot.com/2009/02/past-jlpt-level-2-exam.html)

ok, I've been studying Japanese myself now for about a year - I've not really looked at the JLPT exams, not thinking myself up to much, but... after looking at those, the Level 4 seems fairy straight forward. (Well, the "old" level 4 from 2005, 6 ones that I did look at).

Think it's worth me sitting the exams, or waiting until I think I can challenge a higher level? (Or, do I need to get 5 before 4, and 3 before 3 etc?)

patjs
January 16th, 2011, 09:51
ultimately if you have 1kyu, then you can get the basic meaning of most paperwork pretty easily, and you can probably get the gist of conversations somewhat well by listening to them.

i dunno I would argue that with 2kyuu you could do this alright. I can read the papers I get at school and I understand most conversations very clearly.

kamukamuume
January 16th, 2011, 12:18
i dunno I would argue that with 2kyuu you could do this alright. I can read the papers I get at school and I understand most conversations very clearly.

yeah, but remember that you've basically been immersed that whole time. compare yourself with someone who got 2kyu in America and has never lived here. I'm willing to bet your listening skills and general intuition are much better for having been here.

brad12
February 21st, 2011, 15:49
I miss last JLPT exam, can any body tell me when will be the next JLPT exam?

uthinkimlost?
February 21st, 2011, 16:01
I miss last JLPT exam, can any body tell me when will be the next JLPT exam?

Spambot ahoy.