PDA

View Full Version : Adult conversation class crafts and conversation...help!

3ngrishsensei
June 30th, 2010, 21:59
I teach a really low-key evening eikaiwa for a few adults in my village once a week. Sometimes a few moms bring their kids (elem. age) but not always. Usually between 2-5 adults show up.

At first, I did word games, writing activities, taught songs, and new vocab...stuff like that. But recently the members in my class have been wanting to just have more "free conversation" practice in English. Basically they just want to chat.

To keep things interesting (and avoid long dead silences...), I find it's best to have something for us to do...crafts or something.
In the past I have done things like cooking, karaoke, and photo album/scrapbook sharing, card games, Apples to apples, etc. But some of those things - like cooking - are tricky because I can't have class at the normal place, there is a lot of prep. etc.

I'm looking for more ideas of crafts or recreation type things to do with my class that create conversation topics, but don't require a lot of extra set-up/ mess/ clean up. Also, things that the kids can join in on the days they come.

If you have any ideas, help me out. :D Thanks!

violetessence
July 5th, 2010, 12:47
Something my high school elective class of 7 students adores is just being handed a big bag of cut-out words to use like "magnetic poetry." Also grammar pieces such as apostrophes, s, a, the, and, ing. I thought it was a pretty lazy activity, but it's one of their favorites. For kids, maybe you could cut out pictures of animals and such to help make sentences with.

Playing 20 Questions is my favorite game because it requires zero setup. It is also excellent practice for asking questions in English.

And what about felt crafts? It's easy to glue, sew, whatever. Felt Craft Projects - Crafts Made with Felt (http://familycrafts.about.com/od/felt/Felt_Crafts.htm)

Or someone could teach origami? Friendship bracelets/cell phone strap making? Drawing?

3ngrishsensei
July 5th, 2010, 16:31
Or someone could teach origami?

Thanks, this is a good idea. (the crafts, too) :)