PDA

View Full Version : Work in IT, anyone?

phoenix101
July 1st, 2010, 15:02
Knowing that Japan is one of the most advanced countries in the world, what do you suppose are a foreigner's chances of getting an IT type job in Japan - taking into account that this particular foreigner has very limited conversational Japanese skill, but quite a good amount of IT skill . . . ?

AliDimayev
July 1st, 2010, 15:30
Aren't IT skills a rather dime a dozen these days?

Oh, your from South Africa. lol.

phoenix101
July 1st, 2010, 16:15
South African and a very specialized field.

As we say in my language: "Slyp jou tong boet, hy's bietjie stomp".

Azrael
July 1st, 2010, 16:23
i knew one guy who did it, but that was 7 years ago. Its possible these days but if you dont speak the language you will have to bring something special to the table - many years experience in a very specialized area. just walking out of uni with a degree and a part time job doing tech support wont cut it.

phoenix101
July 1st, 2010, 17:07
I did figure that the language thing would be a big issue. As far as experience and skill goes, I am fortunately in quite a specialized area and I do have 4 years to back me up. Still not an instant deal maker, but I'm hoping. Ag well, I'll keep trying for JET and see what happens. And google hasn't been a big help . . .

Atalante
July 2nd, 2010, 10:37
IT jobs are everywhere here and I always see places hiring for positions, although I think most of them want people who already have a visa.

From people I've met, you don't necessarily need to be well-versed in Japanese if you work for a foreign company, although of course every bit helps. The visa thing will be the biggest barrier, if you can find a way into the country, get some Japanese abilities, and keep up with your IT, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a job.

phoenix101
July 2nd, 2010, 16:32
You’re definitely right about the VISA. I have chatted to some recruitment agency about a job and they told me the same thing. Hmmm . . . looks like I’m buggered . . .

Beer Baron
July 4th, 2010, 07:58
That's interesting about the visa. I would love to get back to Japan and do something IT related, and having married a Japanese I assume the visa would be easy to get.

Is there anywhere in particular to check for foreign companies looking to hire?

Azrael
July 4th, 2010, 10:00
being married to a japper it should be easy to come over on a spouse visa and apply for jobs/interview here and then just switch it to a work visa once you are here - if you have the cash to move here without having a guaranteed job waiting for you....

phoenix101
July 6th, 2010, 16:53
Well, it seems there might be a little good news for those who feel like me . . .
Japanese firms to boost hiring of foreigners by up to 50% Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion (http://www.japantoday.com/category/business/view/japanese-firms-to-boost-hiring-of-foreigners-by-up-to-50)

Beer Baron
July 7th, 2010, 21:25
half of "1" isn't very much.... :)

johnfernandis
July 4th, 2011, 16:23
IT is very broad and best option for career making.And there are many other field in IT to do job and one of the best source for making bright career and every one like the opportunity in It job.But it does not mean that do marriage for visa.But make your own skill and show that company your intelligence and show that you deserve for the job and then might be the company arrange visa for you.

mteacher80
July 10th, 2011, 09:08
being married to a japper it should be easy to come over on a spouse visa and apply for jobs/interview here and then just switch it to a work visa once you are here - if you have the cash to move here without having a guaranteed job waiting for you....

you can work full time on a spouse visa. no need to change to a work visa. i did it that way for 3 or 4 years

greengoo
July 16th, 2011, 04:04
IT is very broad and best option for career making.And there are many other field in IT to do job and one of the best source for making bright career and every one like the opportunity in It job.But it does not mean that do marriage for visa.But make your own skill and show that company your intelligence and show that you deserve for the job and then might be the company arrange visa for you.

I like the cut of your jib, sailor.

phoenix101
July 22nd, 2011, 00:46

I do understand what you are saying, but not being in the country sort of makes it impossible. It's a catch-22 - I'm not there to show them my skill, but until I do I'm not going to get hired.

PTArnold
August 2nd, 2011, 17:57
I know that breaking into an IT company with limited Japanese is very difficult unless you have some language capability other than English ( Chinese is best) or executive leadership experience. However, I do know of an IT Recruiting firm that focuses only upon IT positions. That may be one of your best options given your situation

phoenix101
August 31st, 2011, 04:23
@PTArnold - that would make my day. Been a rather unpleasant month this one . . .