PDA

View Full Version : July 2010 JLPT- thoughts?

patjs
July 5th, 2010, 19:44
Who else took it on Sunday?

I have to admit that I'm kind of disappointed in myself. I took N2, and while it was difficult, I realized that if I had actually buckled down and studied hard for the preceding months I could have passed easily. Pretty sure my listening was close to full points, so if I had actually known my kanji and grammar to a somewhat acceptable level I totally would have nailed it.

I went in expecting to fail though and very likely did.

What about you?

Crab
July 5th, 2010, 21:37
I found listening a breeze too. I spent months doing grammar and kanji, I found it a challenge in places but I guess we'll see in September. Some of the reading was a bit silly though, words that needed furigana, (so we wouldn't know them) but no explanation of what the words actually meant?

Also did you find it frustrating that so much stuff in the listening test was written in hiragana rather than kanji?

patjs
July 5th, 2010, 22:07
Yeah I think even if I had studied hard there would have been some rough spots, but looking at the chinese scans of the test I realize that I made a couple of really dumb kanji mistakes, but did pretty decent on the grammar I think.

I agree that some of it was just ridiculous. The one short passage about trees and the environment totally went over my head.

I don't know why the listening had so much hiragana. Why not just have some of those answers with furigana like the other options... very bizarre.

saritajuanita
July 5th, 2010, 22:22
took 1kyu.. for the 3rd time.

I definitely thought the new N1 was easier (less difficult?) than the past two 1kyu tests I've taken, but I don't think I can get over 70 in the vocab/kanji/grammar/reading section... and because of the new scoring I can't count on the listening (easy!) to bump up my percentage.

I got a 62 and a 63 the past times... I know I won't pass pass, but my goal is for a total score of 70 or more.

I appreciate the later start and only one break, though. It was lame to have all of those breaks to sit around and do nothing while all of the chinese kids (who for some reason all know each other?) chat and goof-off

jandek
July 6th, 2010, 00:03
all of the chinese kids (who for some reason all know each other?) chat and goof-off

THIS. I took N1 yesterday and I think there were about 20 Chinese kids to every westerner, and they were all just chatting away like they owned JLPT N1, which they clearly did.

I thought the listening was the easiest section. I appreciated the absence of mundane graph questions. As for the 言語知識 section, I though the reading comprehension was a breeze. The grammar was the hardest section, and my kanji answers left something to be desired for. I didn't go in expecting to pass, but overall it was easier than I had anticipated. I guess we will all find out come September.

patjs
July 6th, 2010, 07:26

I definitely thought the new N1 was easier (less difficult?) than the past two 1kyu tests I've taken, but I don't think I can get over 70 in the vocab/kanji/grammar/reading section... and because of the new scoring I can't count on the listening (easy!) to bump up my percentage.

I got a 62 and a 63 the past times... I know I won't pass pass, but my goal is for a total score of 70 or more.

I appreciate the later start and only one break, though. It was lame to have all of those breaks to sit around and do nothing while all of the chinese kids (who for some reason all know each other?) chat and goof-off

Has this been clearly explained anywhere by them? They say in the booklet that you have to get a "passing score" in each of the 3 sections which will be "determined later" by them (isn't this something they should be transparent about??)

Do you actually have to get 60% in each section to pass? Because then in their score breakdown they were showing that 34% and above was considered a "B" for fair grade. I think if they make the line something like 40 or 50 I may have actually passed the test... but if you have to get 60 in each section I probably failed.

jandek
July 6th, 2010, 08:38
the three sections being 文字/語彙・文法・読解 and then a separate category for 聴解? or is the breakdown more like 文字/語彙/文法・読解・聴解?

it sounds like they are waiting to grade the new tests and see how everyone did before setting any standards for meting out pass/fail certificates.

HeartNana
July 6th, 2010, 09:26
I took lvl2 also. As everyone else said, listening was pretty easy. Reading wasn't too bad imo. However, grammar/kanji/vocab owned me. Some of the stuff I studied was on the test, but I just didn't study for long enough in prep for this.

There's always next time i guess.

Lego
July 6th, 2010, 10:28
N2. I may have passed, but time turned out to be an issue. The language section may have gone OK, but I took my time and this forced me to rush some of my answers in the reading. Considering there's only 21 questions and you have to pass every section, that kind of concerns me. I had a few too many "do they mean this or this?" moments.

Taurus
July 6th, 2010, 13:09
looking at the chinese scans of the test

Where are these, if you don't mind me asking (instead of, say, googling)?

EDIT: They're here (http://bbs.neworldjp.com/dispbbs.asp?boardid=33&id=73699), by the way.

enigmaneo
July 6th, 2010, 13:43
I took N3, not much prep for it. Not sure if I passed or not, listening and and vocab was easy. Reading wasn't too bad, grammar owned me.

keekers
July 6th, 2010, 16:17

No one said you need to get over 70% in each section. They just said you need to get a minimum acceptable score in each section, but they haven't made it clear what that minimum acceptable score is. But I'm thinking you would still need over 70% overall to pass, since they said the pass line is the same as the old test.

Has this been clearly explained anywhere by them? They say in the booklet that you have to get a "passing score" in each of the 3 sections which will be "determined later" by them (isn't this something they should be transparent about??)

Do you actually have to get 60% in each section to pass? Because then in their score breakdown they were showing that 34% and above was considered a "B" for fair grade. I think if they make the line something like 40 or 50 I may have actually passed the test... but if you have to get 60 in each section I probably failed.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the A, B, C system. If a B is 34-67%, then the minimum acceptable score is probably somewhere in that range.

the three sections being 文字/語彙・文法・読解 and then a separate category for 聴解? or is the breakdown more like 文字/語彙/文法・読解・聴解?

it sounds like they are waiting to grade the new tests and see how everyone did before setting any standards for meting out pass/fail certificates.
The three sections being graded are kanji/vocab/grammar, reading comprehension, and listening. Each section is a maximum 60 points, and 180 points for the entire test.

I passed 1kyuu in 2008 but I was curious about the new test and wanted to review so I signed up for N1. I almost chickened out and didn't go because I was like saritajuanita and thinking I needed to get at least 70% in every section. I'm fine with kanji and grammar, but my vocab is kind of weak and I was only getting around 70% for that section on practice tests. A little bit too close for me and I hate failing so I didn't want to risk it. But then I saw the guide to the new JLPT on the website and saw the bit patjs mentioned, and I regained some confidence and mustered up the courage to go. I think I did alright. Probably about the same as last time.

I like how the new test takes some emphasis off of kanji, vocab, and grammar, and places more emphasis on reading and listening. I also like the new format of the listening problems. I think overall the newer test is a much better measure of Japanese ability. Now all it needs is a speaking test.

saritajuanita
July 6th, 2010, 17:14
I like how the new test takes some emphasis off of kanji, vocab, and grammar, and places more emphasis on reading and listening. I also like the new format of the listening problems. I think overall the newer test is a much better measure of Japanese ability. Now all it needs is a speaking test.

agreed! less rote memorization of isolated terms and more actually understanding Japanese.

I do miss the pictures in the listening section, though. I think that kind of practice is pretty relevant... except the test a couple years ago which included a little boy telling his mother that he can't have cake D because he doesn't like cake with holes .... ???

No one said you need to get over 70% in each section. They just said you need to get a minimum acceptable score in each section, but they haven't made it clear what that minimum acceptable score is. But I'm thinking you would still need over 70% overall to pass, since they said the pass line is the same as the old test.

ahhh I see. I guess I got some bad information. Well, that is alright. I may have a shot at passing if that's the case, since listening was cake (without holes) and reading wasn't horrible.

Alphabet
July 6th, 2010, 18:51
For people who took N2, how much time would you say is adequate prep to prepare for the test? Obv. everyone has their own pace, but I'm starting to study now for the December test. My goal is ten words a day, and two to three grammar points each week. I took the old level three test and passed, but it was a barely passing. Do I stand a chance at all? (I plan to take it this December and if I fail I will continue studying and take it again in the summer)

patjs
July 6th, 2010, 19:58
There are a lot of grammar points but some are pretty easy to grasp quickly in my opinion. I'd focus on the more complicated grammar points and just do like you said and study kanji/vocab daily. Reading can be kind of overwhelming at first if you aren't used to it. I try to read almost every memo that I get at school while looking up words I don't know and I call that studying. I think it helped me get used to reading Japanese faster and generally comprehending the gist of stuff. You definitely don't have to understand every single word of every single article. I find that sometimes even if a lot of the content goes over my head, the questions at the end aren't that hard.

It's weird I honestly didn't care so much about this test until I remembered I had signed up and I only had a few weeks left. I think if I had buckled down for a few months I could have passed. If you have the drive to actually keep up with daily study you can do it. I know someone who came to Japan with introductory Japanese knowledge and passed 2 kyuu within 2 years.

I Am Quailman
July 7th, 2010, 09:12
I don't know why the listening had so much hiragana. Why not just have some of those answers with furigana like the other options... very bizarre.

To trip up the chinese people.

UPGRAYEDD
July 7th, 2010, 11:22
It's always been toned down like that on the listening section. I guess they figure people can't read kanji "fast enough".

UPGRAYEDD
July 7th, 2010, 12:48
My thoughts compared to the last one

1. Vocab/Kanji - Way harder
2. Grammar - Way harder
3. Reading - Way easier though that nearly hidden use of 除きます in the last reading almost got me.
4. Listening - Way easier

kamukamuume
July 7th, 2010, 12:54
My thoughts compared to the last one

1. Vocab/Kanji - Way harder
2. Grammar - Way harder
3. Reading - Way easier though that nearly hidden use of 除きます in the last reading almost got me.
4. Listening - Way easier

which level did you take, minister?

UPGRAYEDD
July 7th, 2010, 13:00

Crab
July 7th, 2010, 13:11
Yeah, I only learned 除く through AliDimayev's signature, and it's kind of stuck in my head since.

I took 2kyu last christmas and failed by .5%, and I found the kanji easier this time round, as well as grammar, though that might be because I studied a lot harder this time round.

I thought that the readings had some stupid questions though, as I said earlier, throwing in vocab with furigana (implying we wouldn't understand it) yet not providing the meaning was a bit shitty.

Lego
July 7th, 2010, 13:43
When did they use nozoku in the last one? I was kind of rushing and don't remember coming across that...

Crab
July 7th, 2010, 13:44
I don't remember where exactly but I remember thinking it was a bit sneaky putting it in..

Lego
July 7th, 2010, 13:49
Fucking damnit. I probably should have done the reading first. Now that we have to pass every section and reading is independent, each question counts for a lot. Missing one question puts you 5% closer to failure. Not cool. Maybe a lot of people thought it was easy, but the first section flustered me and I don't operate well under pressure.

UPGRAYEDD
July 7th, 2010, 14:04
It was the 知らせ reading about the business conversation classes or whatever. The question was which one of the four people were eligible to attend the class. The answer was the lady who worked at the supermarket because the guy who worked at city hall was ineligible (〜市職業を除きます). I thought that was sneaky and all the Chinese dudes around me picked the wrong answer.

BTW I didn't "cheat" they just sat us all together with no gaps and couldn't really help sneaking a glance or two.

All the Chinese peeps put 景色 as けいいろ too which I thought was weird.

HeartNana
July 7th, 2010, 14:10
Upgrayded, yeah I almost fell for it too, but on the last question I was like "omg both of these are correct!" for internet hours and wed, and im like "i have to be misunderstanding something" and then i looked closely and saw that, and i was like "aah, sweet" then i looked over it again and saw it again for the city employees and i was like "score". I spent a while on that question, thankfully it was the last one so i didn't feel pressured to rush through it.

Crab - I unno, a lot of those ones I didn't understand that had like, furigana above them also had a *, and they gave the meaning at the bottom of the page or whatever.

Lego
July 7th, 2010, 14:26
Oh, right. I got that question right. Sweet, my mind is slightly more at ease. Thanks. But the one before it about effort made my brain go kind of nuts.

Crab
July 7th, 2010, 14:52
I for one would rather just forget about it now though, stressing about the questions I probably got wrong is just going to get to me..

Lego
July 7th, 2010, 15:57
Didn't someone claim that he saw scans of the test? I'd like to forget about it, but if I could get my hands on those, I could score myself and be done with it.

enigmaneo
July 7th, 2010, 15:59
Yes, they are out. I have seen the answers but not the test yet.

Taurus
July 7th, 2010, 15:59
Where are these, if you don't mind me asking (instead of, say, googling)?

EDIT: They're here (http://bbs.neworldjp.com/dispbbs.asp?boardid=33&id=73699), by the way.

They're not complete.

I Am Quailman
July 7th, 2010, 16:24
さすが中国

I Am Quailman
July 7th, 2010, 16:25
That's definitely not N2

patjs
July 7th, 2010, 17:38
Hm, the scans? Yes it is, just missing the entire reading section.

I Am Quailman
July 7th, 2010, 18:24
no, i def dont remember those questions.

patjs
July 7th, 2010, 21:33
hmm.. I do for sure. Did you click the right link?

It can't be possible there was more than one version?

jandek
July 8th, 2010, 08:29
It can't be possible there was more than one version?

that's unpossible.

dontreadonme
July 10th, 2010, 20:29
Yeah I think even if I had studied hard there would have been some rough spots, but looking at the chinese scans of the test I realize that I made a couple of really dumb kanji mistakes, but did pretty decent on the grammar I think.

I agree that some of it was just ridiculous. The one short passage about trees and the environment totally went over my head.

I have a good idea of one reason why the listening section had a lot of hiragana instead of providing kanji with furigana--because a lot of Chinese test takers would be able to figure out a lot of meaning from the kanji without even knowing the Japanese words. This is a big problem with this test. Many Chinese students can guess the overall meanings of some words from the kanji but if they heard the same word spoken in Japanese, they would have no clue what it meant. Decoding Japanese using kanji alone is not fluency obviously. The listening section is probably the one section that the test-makers probably felt they could weed out Chinese students who can't speak or understand very much spoken Japanese but can perform well on written tests just because of their knowledge of Chinese characters.

Crab
July 14th, 2010, 09:56
No that's completely understandable. I hate it when I'm trying to concentrate in a test and people are doing stupid shit.

This last test, before it started the proctors heard a squeaking noise and went to the back of the room to check it out, thinking it was the aircon. It turned out to be a chinese girl fidgeting in her chair and rocking back and forwards rapidly. They told her to sit still and everyone had a good laugh but through the ENTIRE TEST all I could hear was

squeak
squeak
squeak
squeak
squeak
squeak
squeak
squeak
squeak
squeak
squeak
squeak
squeak

Lego
July 14th, 2010, 11:14
I now need to know the value of the test questions because my passing rests on it.

keekers
July 14th, 2010, 16:34
I now need to know the value of the test questions because my passing rests on it.
What level did you take? I don't know about the other levels, but N1 is scored like this:

文字・語彙・文法
問題1 - 6 problems, 1 point each, 6 points total
問題2 - 7 problems, 1 point each, 7 points total
問題3 - 6 problems, 1 point each, 6 points total
問題4 - 6 problems, 2 points each, 12 points total
問題5 - 10 problems, 1 point each, 10 points total
問題6 - 5 problems, 1 point each, 5 points total
問題7 - 5 problems, 2 points each, 10 points total

56 points total, but to find your score out of 60, divide your points by 56 and multiply by 60.

読解
問題8 - 4 problems, 2 points each, 8 points total
問題9 - 9 problems, 2 points each, 18 points total
問題10 - 4 problems, 3 points each, 12 points total
問題11 - 3 problems, 2 points each, 6 points total
問題12 - 4 problems, 3 points each, 12 points total
問題13 - 2 problems, 2 points each, 4 points total

60 points total.

聴解
問題1 - 6 problems, 2 points each, 12 points total
問題2 - 7 problems, 1 point each, 7 points total
問題3 - 6 problems, 2 points each, 12 points total
問題4 - 14 problems, 1 point each, 14 points total
問題5 - 3 problems, 3 points each, 9 points total

54 points total, but to find your score out of 60, divide your points by 54 and multiply by 60.

It's not clear what the passing score is for each section.

patjs
July 14th, 2010, 22:15
Going by what I can remember about how I answered questions, I think I got a 60-62% on vocab/grammar, 75% on reading, and 90% on listening. Is this enough to pass 2kyuu?

LeggoMyEigo
July 15th, 2010, 05:33
When do you receive actual results back?

Lego
July 15th, 2010, 09:01
Early September. Thanks keekers, much obliged. I was worried that perhaps some sections would be heavily weighted. Percentage wise, I am passing all sections (I hope), but in reading, I actually got every question of one section wrong. If that section was 5 points or some bullshit, I'd be fucked. Maybe I'll be fine.

Lego
August 31st, 2010, 09:36
New pass lines have been announced, and they look extremely low, at least compared to my expectations. The whole passing every section thing still exists, but instead of letting that make the test harder, they seem to have compensated and balanced things out. Individual sections require in the ballpark of 30% to count as passing. Overall scores must be between 50% and 55% for N1-N3.

My guess is that they got the tests, and after seeing the results, didn't want to outright shaft all the people who didn't take it before now. And the argument for the Chinese test-takers having it easy has not been eliminated, as they can still scrape by on listening if they can do well with kanji.

http://www.jlpt.jp/topics/201008301282900981.html

jandek
August 31st, 2010, 09:53
the JLPT site has been down all morning for me. I heard they were sending out test scores starting on August 3rd, so perhaps there is a zerg rush to view the new scoring guidelines?

also. Let the Chinese have the JLPT - they have plenty else to worry about.

patjs
August 31st, 2010, 12:30
edited.

I think this is just reflecting the fact that this test was harder than the old L2 (can't speak for 1 or 3). Definitely less gimme questions than I was seeing on practice tests, especially with kanji.

50-55% seems pretty low but I have to imagine they are not going to suddenly allow tons of people to pass? It has to be designed to keep the same percentages as the old version.

Shouta
August 31st, 2010, 15:28
The N1 seemed a lot easier to me so these passing guidelines seem a bit odd. Either the changes to the test really put a lot of folks through a loop or I'm overestimating myself. I barely failed Dec 2009's JLPT1 and that one seemed waaaay harder.

jandek
August 31st, 2010, 16:15
てゆーか、if N1 has 170 possible points (according to Keekers) and according to jlpt.org you need only 100 points to pass, then you need a mere 59% to pass (assuming your japanese abilities aren't so severely handicapped by your hikikomori lifestyle that you can't handle the basic three r's of japanese - reading comprehension, recognizing kanji, and rambling in japanese.)

old L1 was 70% to pass, right? The hell, fellows. Does this mean we are going to see a lot more N1 passes from now on?

Alphabet
August 31st, 2010, 18:02
Pretty sure old L1 was 70%, yes.
So, what I'm getting from you guys is that a 55% on N2 will pass? Is that right or am I reading this wrong?

patjs
September 1st, 2010, 07:37
Yeah as long as you got the minimum score in each of the three sections (I think around 30%?)

Lego
September 1st, 2010, 08:47
old L1 was 70% to pass, right? The hell, fellows. Does this mean we are going to see a lot more N1 passes from now on?

It's 55% percent this year because it's 180 points, not 170. And god forbid people who haven't mastered Japanese enough to use てゆーか (ていうか?) casually on the Internet don't pass the exam.

jandek
September 1st, 2010, 09:37
And god forbid people who haven't mastered Japanese enough to use てゆーか (ていうか?) casually on the Internet don't pass the exam.

This. If you wanted to measure your ability to text like a japanese high schooler, there should be a separate test for that.

Lego
September 1st, 2010, 10:52
Part of the test would be to write in hiragana as many times as possible without being scolded by a teacher.

UPGRAYEDD
September 3rd, 2010, 13:10
Anyone know when the results are coming out for Japan?

jandek
September 3rd, 2010, 13:22
I've been wondering the same thing all day. I could have sworn i saw something on jlpt.jp a few days ago that said they would be mailing them out September 3rd, and if you didn't receive your results by September 15th, then you better call somebody.

But I could have dreamed it, because i can't find it on the site now, just the ambiguous 9月上旬 that keeps coming up.

Lego
September 3rd, 2010, 14:03
Holy shit, jlpt.JP?!?!! How much can you deadlift??

jandek
September 3rd, 2010, 14:18
Holy shit, jlpt.JP?!?!! How much can you deadlift??

oh, hush.

新しい日本語能力試験(N1、N2、N3レベル)の合格点と基準点を発表します | 日本語能力試験 JLPT (http://www.jlpt.jp/topics/201008301282900981.html)

patjs
September 3rd, 2010, 18:28
It said on the jlpt site that the results were sent out today. I imagine we'll be getting them pretty soon.

Lego
September 6th, 2010, 10:29
oh, hush.

Well played.

It said on the jlpt site that the results were sent out today. I imagine we'll be getting them pretty soon.

You seem to be the only one who saw this leprechaun.