PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a good [non-electronic] dictionary?

Dozer4649
July 22nd, 2010, 20:10
Back when I first got interested in the language about five years ago, I picked up a cheap little Barnes & Noble/Langenscheidt pocket dictionary for fun. It's good enough that I never really needed to get a new one for my Japanese classes, but now that I've made up my mind to apply for JET and dive back into studying the language in the meantime, I've decided it's time to upgrade to something a little more complete, and hopefully better-organized. Problem is, most if not all of the other dictionaries I've looked are rōmaji-based like my current one - i.e., they treat o the same as ō, with no regard for the kana spelling, among other things. It's not a huge deal, but it's just something that bugs me, especially since I started to think more in kana than rōmaji.

So what I'm looking for is a good-quality dictionary whose Japanese-English section is based on kana rather than rōmaji, intended for someone interested in learning the language. Full-size or pocket, hardcover or paperback, English- or Japanese-published, it doesn't matter - any suggestions?

AliDimayev
July 22nd, 2010, 20:39
Genius or Progressive are both good.

lawnchair
July 22nd, 2010, 23:16
Sanseido's Daily Concise

Tarquin
July 23rd, 2010, 15:19
Genius is what's inside most electronic dictionaries, one would expect their paper one to be identical.

Or Kodansha.

Crab
July 23rd, 2010, 16:50
I hate to be "That guy" but if you're really serious about learning the language then an electronic dictionary would be so much more convenient.

If you're dead set against it, then Genius, as the Tarq said, is probably a safe bet.

Tarquin
July 23rd, 2010, 16:54
Funny story, once at uni a guy in one of my classes thought the word for dictionary was "Kodansha" The teacher facepalmed hard. hahahaha

And yes, an Electronic dictionary makes far more sense, but there we go.

Crab
July 23rd, 2010, 17:24
Funny story, once at uni a guy in one of my classes thought the word for dictionary was "Kodansha" The teacher facepalmed hard. hahahaha

And yes, an Electronic dictionary makes far more sense, but there we go.

Personally I like the electronic Kodansha (that means dictionary) which lets you write in the kanji.

Dozer4649
July 23rd, 2010, 17:39
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll definitely look into them.

I hate to be "That guy" but if you're really serious about learning the language then an electronic dictionary would be so much more convenient.

Don't worry about it. :) I am planning on getting an electronic one at some point in the future, but I don't have a ton of money right now, so just getting a better paper dictionary is a better bet. But I'll keep the electronic suggestions in mind as well for when I get around to it.

AliDimayev
July 23rd, 2010, 22:54
Paper dictionary is fine, just takes some more time, but it will be good to get fluent with the kana orderings.

Also, how did people study the Japanese before electronic dictionaries???

Crab
July 23rd, 2010, 23:04
I always have my electronic dictionary with me, takes up much much less space than a paper one would with the same information in it.

AliDimayev
July 23rd, 2010, 23:14
oh yeah, no doubt abou it. electonic is much more convenient and can always take with you.

i got mine for 15000 yen off on account it was the floor model

joerenij
July 25th, 2011, 15:36
Progressive is good but I like electronic dictionary because it takes less space then paper dictionary and you can save the time with electronic dictionary.