PDA

View Full Version : Jobs from the BOE

adrianjet
August 9th, 2010, 08:11
I saw this on another forum but there wasn't much information on it. Its about being hired directly by the Tokyo Board of Education (no subcontracting here). But I'm not sure if this policy is still valid by now. Here it is below:

"For AET jobs at public junior and senior high schools (nearly always part-time), call the local city government office where you live and ask to talk to the shidobu (curriculum and guidance division) of the kyoiku iinkai (board of education). The largest of these organizations, the Tokyo Board of Education, hires about 40 teachers a month all year long. However, there is usually a waiting list just to get an interview. Long holiday months like March, August and December tend to be more brisk as more teachers are returning home at these times."

So after reading that I visited the Tokyo BOE website below:

22NxswZՎICpE̗pґIl{vj (http://www.kyoiku.metro.tokyo.jp/buka/jinji/23senko/rinjikyouin.htm)

I saw they have positions both full time and part time for primary, junior high, and senior high though it wasn't for specific schools it was just a category of each. They also require taking a teacher's exam on a certain date. I never heard about ALTs who need to take an exam to get the teaching license they wrote on the website. What is that about? If I want to get an English teacher job directly from the Tokyo BOE do I need to pass the exam and get a teacher's license first? And if I do get the license would I be able to contact the BOE to find out what schools are hiring for new positions?

Azrael
August 9th, 2010, 08:36
Thats because that job posting is for real teachers, not ALTs.

Also its very unlikely that tokyo BOE would hire somebody who doesn't have a valid work visa and isn't currently living in tokyo

jwkelley
November 24th, 2010, 08:23
By real teacher you mean TEFL or CELTA? or actual licensed teacher

Azrael
November 24th, 2010, 08:41
someone in possession of a japanese teaching license

Jojo
November 24th, 2010, 08:49
Also to this is the fact that BOE (direct hire) jobs allways go to people with prior experience.. they are a good option once you have some experience under your belt.

jwkelley
November 24th, 2010, 09:02
Also to this is the fact that BOE (direct hire) jobs allways go to people with prior experience.. they are a good option once you have some experience under your belt.

Is that experience in Japan, or would Korea work also? Would it be smart of me if I have prior experience to take a Job via a company in Japan do that for a little and then apply directly to the BOE?

Also what does a teaching licences for foreigners in Japan normally entail if thats whats required?

Azrael
November 24th, 2010, 09:11
you wont get a direct hire job for the tokyo BOE, unless you have lived in japan for years, speak fluent japanese, have taken the teaching license exam (the same one japanese people take). There is too much competition so tokyo can afford to make these outlandish requirements. If you want to work for a BOE directly then you'll have to look at other cities and towns. The more rural the place the better chance you'll have of getting the job.

jwkelley
November 24th, 2010, 09:15
you wont get a direct hire job for the tokyo BOE, unless you have lived in japan for years, speak fluent japanese, have taken the teaching license exam (the same one japanese people take). There is too much competition so tokyo can afford to make these outlandish requirements. If you want to work for a BOE directly then you'll have to look at other cities and towns. The more rural the place the better chance you'll have of getting the job.

I would not mind looking for rural, but would it possible to do with 2 years experience and no Japanese(not easily rectified) or TEFL (easily rectified)?

Sorry for the 20 questions, just trying to way up my options.

Azrael
November 24th, 2010, 09:26
biggest thing standing in your way is not living here. Personal recommendations hold more sway here than TEFL when it comes to direct hire jobs. Having a reference from another japanese boe or a knowing someone at the city hall you are applying to is the best way to get hired. Also lots of the direct hire jobs are not advertised - its a bit of a old boys club network so getting hired from abroad will be tricky. The ones that do advertise tend to be less well paid.

jwkelley
November 24th, 2010, 09:45
So prob best approach is to get their via jet or a private company and just start networking.

FamilyMart
November 24th, 2010, 16:16
my friend got himself hired by a BoE, but had had worked on JET before. if you want to work in tokyo, maybe get yourself a job in some lesser competitive area first, do a kick ass job, and get yourself a fatty recommendation?

also, if you're still in school, i'd check out TALK for korea.

errr... anyway, g'luck.

jwkelley
November 24th, 2010, 20:51
hah the talk people actually come to the school I work at for training for a week before they go out. Seems like a decent program, but pay is less then you would recieve working straight out.