PDA

View Full Version : Anyone request Chugoku region?

Anri
May 20th, 2004, 05:51
I did. It's a part of Japan that few know much about, but since I lived there for awhile, I requested it. Anyone else?

joe
May 20th, 2004, 06:31
Hiroshima is my 3rd choice, I would have thought there would be a few more people selecting it actually. Maybe that means I am more likely to end up there?

Joe

dobharrison
May 20th, 2004, 06:58
Hiroshima was my 2nd choice - I wouldn't be too upset ending up there!

Kevin
May 20th, 2004, 12:50
I found out today I'm going to Tottori-ken. Not sure what city yet. Anyone have any tips?

Anri
May 20th, 2004, 15:10
Tottori-ken used to the least populated prefecture of all...but I think Shimane ken surpassed it recently. But....if you get Yonago, its a really nice prefectural city--easy to get to other places by railway. Unfortunately...if you're outside Yonago....

feech
May 20th, 2004, 18:08
i got notified that i'm in tottori too. found a bit of info through yahoo and google, but i'm still waiting for that fateful e-mail from my predecessor so i can ask the question that's been burning inside me for months...will i have a squat toilet?!?

=) inaka will be fun and i'm excited to live somewhere that's green. yay for the boonies!

Kevin
May 21st, 2004, 02:19
Feech,

Where are you from? Tottori seems cool-depends on what city, but I'm not too worried. PLenty of stuff to keep us occupied. I'm from San Francisco.

Kevin

feech
May 21st, 2004, 03:41
Hey Kevin,

I've been doing research non-stop about our location ever since we heard yesterday. I'm in Nakayama, which is on the western side of Tottori-ken, closer to the Shimane-ken. I'm sure we'll have a blast no matter how small our towns are.

I'm originally from a little tiny town in central CA (way worse than being at a small beach community in Japan), but I've been living in LA for the last 6 years. I graduated from UCLA in 02 and have been working as a counselor ever since. What part of the bay are you from? My boyfriend is from the east bay, so I've been in and around SF a ton of times. I'm actually going to the bay this weekend for Berkeley's graduation.

Amy (aka Feech)

Kevin
May 21st, 2004, 07:29
Amy,

I grew up in Foster City-its about 25 minutes south of SF. I went to highschool in SF though. I don't know what city I'm in yet, but I'm not too worried. I had requested a big city, specifically Kobe. How about you? It seems like Tottori is very scenic. Good skiing, hiking, surfing, beaches, dunes, hot springs, etc.....so it sounds pretty good.

Anri
May 21st, 2004, 07:57
If you guys like good scenery, I hope you're near Dai-san (borders near Shimane-ken). It's a beautiful mountain and good for skiiing and snowboarding if you're into that.

adammoogle
May 24th, 2004, 20:44
hey guys, i seem to be the first uk bum to have got info i'll be heading out to tottori, not sure where exactly yet... :o

and yikes!!! is there anything actually there, i've got no pictures yet from the first 5 minutes of internet searching... 8O

also, is there anything i should be warned about u guys before we go (i have lethally smelly feet and very hairy legs, not sure how thats gunna go down in inaka...) :x

oh and did u all get an email today???

congrats everyone on your placements, see u in japan...gulp.... :)

Kevin
May 25th, 2004, 01:26
There are definitely pictures of Tottori out there. Lots of sand dunes, hot springs, mountains, etc...It won't be too bad. I'll be going as well-and I did get the email from the ALT advisor. I'm still waiting to hear what city I'm assigned to. Actually, someone who was assigned to Tottori last year but didn't go sent me a few links about it which were helpful.

www.daisen-dave.com
http://www.geocities.jp/tottorijet/

Check these out. I look forward to meeting you.

----My feet don't smell but I also have hairy legs.

feech
May 25th, 2004, 08:58
Thanks Kevin. I hadn't found those sites. They were both useful. I sought out a Japanese speaker to help me navigate my town's website. If anyone's interested in Nakayama (or placed there), here's some photos http://www.town.nakayama.tottori.jp/sight/sight.html. Just click on one of the little highlights and it will take you to photos of the town. From what I can gather, it's near the base of Mt. Daisen, pretty close to the Sea of Japan.

monkeyfeet
May 25th, 2004, 09:34
yay! i'm going to tottori too! i got the same email from the alt advisor, so i dunno where exactly in the middle of nowhere i'll be either, but i'm sure it will be fun regardless. woohoo! inaka!!

adammoogle
May 25th, 2004, 21:48
woohoo! inaka!!

not sure i can completely agree with u on this...so i'll take it your been sarcastic and say whoever thought i could cope in the middle of nowhere!?!?!? :roll:

its nice to no there are some other people heading out there though, although i am a bit worried about the lack of response from any other current tottori jets...u don't think there all locked in there squaty pottys laughing manically to themselves do u...??? 8O

and although the sand dunes do look cool, i was more than a little disturbed by the AJET webpage about tottori...check out the last line... :cry:

ah well, i'm only bitchin cos i'm at work, theres always the weekends to travel and i checked out the yahoo tottori group, lots of frisbee and hiking going in it seems 8)

oh and one more thing, monkeyfeet r u in tucson now??? i spent a year up in flagstaff and loved the area, i'd make the most of the sunshine though, apparently it rains alot over there...

god i'm a miserable sod... :P

monkeyfeet
May 26th, 2004, 11:35
not sure i can completely agree with u on this...so i'll take it your been sarcastic and say whoever thought i could cope in the middle of nowhere!?!?!? :roll:

heh, well, i mighta been kidding just a little bit. but i think inaka will be all right, and i'm really not much of a city person, anyway.

and yah, i'm in tucson right now, enjoying the sunshine. what were you doing in flag for a year? i've only been there a couple times, but it seems like a pretty fun town.