PDA

View Full Version : Interac - Prefectures & BOEs

BakuHatsu
September 16th, 2010, 06:19
I'm currently applying for Interac and am not sure exactly where I should request to be placed. I'm not picky and yet picky with where I want to go (it'd be nice to be in a suburban area, or a place with decent shopping, or pretty scenery...) - and from what I've read on this forum each area/BOE has different ways of running things.

Could everyone share locations they have taught at/heard about Prefecture/wards etc and give some information on whether or not they got screwed over there, whether the dress code is ridiculously strict, whether they needed a car or not - and gen. information on what the area was like?

It'd be appreciated!

Jojo
September 16th, 2010, 07:12
Haha well your not going to Tokyo thats for sure. Well assuming you get hired.... at the end of the day you dont really have much of a choice - the best to hope for is choosing the ken. Your gonna be wearing a suit (or similar) unless its summer in which case you can ditch the tie and maybe wear some dockers and a polo. Id also recommend getting a car - its not a negative trust me.

patjs
September 16th, 2010, 07:24
I think Interac has a company dress code so you will have to wear a suit (probably not in the summer). Welcome to the real world where you have to dress up for work.

As far as getting "screwed over," I'm not sure what that means. There might be some shitty placements. You could run into some bad JTE's or students but there's no way to predict this. The whole thing with Interac though is that the BOE doesn't really handle the ALT, so no use worrying about specific BOEs. I'd apply to the ken you are most interested in and hope for the best.

BakuHatsu
September 16th, 2010, 07:36
I do have some dress/pants suits (I'm a girl) - and since I majored in business I'm fairly used to formal wear etc. I studied abroad in Japan for a year and also did an internship in Tokyo - so I'm fairly used to living there....and while it would be nice to get placed back in the places I've lived in a feel like I should explore new areas. It's just going around these forums I've heard that some BOE's are better than others and want some inside info. From what I've heard the Osaka/Kansai area's BOE is kinda sketchy....

As for driving - at first the thought scared the kuso out of me since I know how crazy drivers and roads are in Japan...but I think I'd be ok with getting a car - would also get some extra income.

Jojo
September 16th, 2010, 10:21
I do have some dress/pants suits (I'm a girl) - and since I majored in business I'm fairly used to formal wear etc. I studied abroad in Japan for a year and also did an internship in Tokyo - so I'm fairly used to living there....and while it would be nice to get placed back in the places I've lived in a feel like I should explore new areas. It's just going around these forums I've heard that some BOE's are better than others and want some inside info. From what I've heard the Osaka/Kansai area's BOE is kinda sketchy....

As for driving - at first the thought scared the kuso out of me since I know how crazy drivers and roads are in Japan...but I think I'd be ok with getting a car - would also get some extra income.
Ok well as patjis said BOE's usually dont pick and mix - either they are all private or all JET and as most of the people here are JET getting recommendations for BOE's youll never work at isnt much help...and even if it were you really have no choice as to what BOE you will be placed with (in most cases you will have no contact with the BOE regardless). It's a lucky dip and putting down that you will only work in x city is going to lower your chance of being employed as positions are scarcer than previous years...

i think drivers are pretty good in Japan - the main problem is that drivers are not assertive - and most westerners are. Things like people expecting you to let them out or give way out of politeness...

Azrael
September 21st, 2010, 11:05
interac love to screw people out of travel allowance, theres some aussie dickhead in charge of the chiba office who seems to take great delight in not paying you your 5000yen a month

summergirl
September 24th, 2010, 18:02
I think Interac is not a bad company at all.wearing suit is not a big deal as long as no salary deduction ,decrease your salary etc..if you wanna work at the BOE ,no holiday on summer vacation,you should work until 5:30pm ,be there at 8:15 am..Go go..

Jojo
September 25th, 2010, 18:23
I think Interac is not a bad company at all.wearing suit is not a big deal as long as no salary deduction ,decrease your salary etc..if you wanna work at the BOE ,no holiday on summer vacation,you should work until 5:30pm ,be there at 8:15 am..Go go..
yeah i agree - u get a lot more free time than most Jets.. the biggest negative is job security BUT if the company likes you they will move you around etc and look after you

summergirl
September 25th, 2010, 20:57
In my area Interac's ALTs doing well..JETs working longer than ALTs but they were working for that..

patjs
September 25th, 2010, 22:25

Most JETs I know aren't required to be at school until 5:30. The average seems to be about 4:00ish.

Azrael
September 26th, 2010, 19:55
well interac has gone bust so its kind of irrelevant now

Tarquin
September 27th, 2010, 10:37
well interac has gone bust so its kind of irrelevant now

whaaaa?
Link?

Azrael
September 27th, 2010, 12:13
GU - 緊急事態!「インタラック社9月末解散」の官報公告【8月24日付】を公表します。=突然の会社解散で、各教委とのALT契約や、講師雇用契約の継続はできるのか?=  (http://interac.generalunion.org/news/752)

might be a hoax, but it'll be funny if its true

Jojo
September 27th, 2010, 13:28
i think some union reps getting a bit excited without actualy knowing the whole deal... yes interac will be deregistered but its because of restructuring not due to bankruptsy