PDA

View Full Version : Good news? Should I take this job?

adrianjet
October 30th, 2010, 00:41
Ok I passed an interview with a company and they are offering me a job now! They require me to respond in early Nov so I don't have much time to give my response. This is just a few days away so if your reading this I would really appreciate your input. (Especially word-san or other veterans who know how the deal works)

Is 250K the minimum wage for ALT or should I take less than that? I am really stressing myself out as to whether to take them or wait for other opportunities. This is my First Time doing this ALT thing so should I consider myself lucky or VERY lucky?

Azrael
October 30th, 2010, 01:15
250k isnt very lucky.

I couldn't live off that but maybe if you are coming straight from university you will be used to living on a tight budget.

DON'T take less than that.

adrianjet
October 30th, 2010, 01:25
Well salary aside, more importantly I got this letter from the company regarding my visa application for the work visa. They say to get my certificate of eligibility I need to submit to them my ORIGINAL diploma and original transcript. Is that true? It sounds kind of risky to mail my original diploma all the way to Japan and they wrote they would return the diploma back to me in the condition it was received when I get there but I feel there is a security issue with what happens if my diploma is missing or ends up damaged? I would of course buy the best possible mail service but I still don't know if I can trust them with it. My diploma is my livelihood after all. Did other people send their original diploma to get CoE? Is this normal and more importantly is this SAFE for the visa process?

Also what is considered an "original" transcript? I can order one of those from my school but its not like any of them are original, I can order as many copies as I like.

Azrael
October 30th, 2010, 01:33
i sent copies of the certificate. Sending the original sounds dangerous to me. For the transcripts they were signed and dated by my uni, i ordered 3 copies but they were all "original" - they weren't photocopies

adrianjet
October 30th, 2010, 01:43
University diploma (original) Type of degree and date of graduation must be written on the diploma.
・ If it is difficult for you to get it in time for reasons such as your graduation ceremony date, a graduate certificate will suffice for the initial application. In this case, the degree completion day and BA must be written on the certificate. You must also attach transcript to the certificate.
・For the certificate of eligibility application to be finalized and fully processed, you will need to submit your ORIGINAL university diploma and ORIGINAL transcript. A COPY IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. After you enter into Japan, we will return the diploma to you in the same condition it was received.

So according to the file I got they say they can use the proof of graduation to apply for the CoE but to "finalize" it (whatever that means) I need to give them my original diploma. The big question here is can I just send them the proof of graduation or a diploma copy and I can hand the Immigration ministry the original diploma in person and wait until they give it back to me in person or must I mail it to them when I'm still in the US?

Did other ALT companies like Interac, RCS, ALTIA require this same thing?? This just sounds weird to me to want the original when even JET (for all their paperwork wankering) says they'll accept a copy of diploma fine.

Azrael
October 30th, 2010, 01:46
sounds strange to me, I've never heard of that before - sounds like the policy of that company rather than the policy of the immigration department

Jojo
October 30th, 2010, 10:08
They mean dont send a photocopy - as long as it is an original copy produced by the university it is fine. Its all a bit hazy but from when i did it i think i had to send an original transcript and bring the original diploma to the interview?

adrianjet
October 30th, 2010, 10:28
They mean dont send a photocopy - as long as it is an original copy produced by the university it is fine. Its all a bit hazy but from when i did it i think i had to send an original transcript and bring the original diploma to the interview?

But this is different. They want me to mail the original diploma to their Japan office. Their instructions imply the original is needed to get the CoE from the Japanese govt. But I'm not sure if others who went to Japan had to do the same thing to get the CoE done. Besides which even with all the proper documents it takes like 1-2 months before the damn CoE is even mailed back to me and then it takes who knows how many days for the local consulate to stamp that visa on my passport.

Can someone tell me how long does it take on average to send your documents to the company and receive back the CoE and get the work visa done? Whats the fastest time possible between sending all your documents and getting back the CoE and visa? This is assuming I use the fastest possible mail (Fedex) to speed things up.

wicket
October 30th, 2010, 20:30
what company is this? the whole thing sounds a bit dodgy to me.

adrianjet
October 31st, 2010, 01:37
Its one of the big ones so I should in theory be able to trust them based on their size and rep. But I really need to know can someone tell me how much time does the J-Govt need to process my CoE and when I get it back in the States?? For those of you who worked for these ALT companies when did you send out all the material in the winter and when did you get it back. I have an issue with visa docs and its really worrying me I may not get this job because I cannot get the damn CoE!

Azrael
October 31st, 2010, 02:05
after 10 years and many many visas I have never heard of anyone asking for an original degree certificate. All I can say is the japanese immigration department does not make such demands so if you choose to go with such a company I would go forth with a healthy sized handful of pot of salt. If you ask for conformation and this deal is confirmed than please keep us appraised about this "company" because it sounds highly dodgy. please post a name of the employer so we can warn future applicants of their actions

adrianjet
October 31st, 2010, 03:06
after 10 years and many many visas I have never heard of anyone asking for an original degree certificate. All I can say is the japanese immigration department does not make such demands so if you choose to go with such a company I would go forth with a healthy sized handful of pot of salt. If you ask for conformation and this deal is confirmed than please keep us appraised about this "company" because it sounds highly dodgy. please post a name of the employer so we can warn future applicants of their actions

Well if I get hired sure I'll let you know who it is. Their name was discussed on this site before.
But I got a big problem here with the degree requirement and I really need to know the time needed for that CoE. I'm still in school and I'm graduating this year but I won't actually get that physical diploma until early spring next year. Do you know if the Japanese immigration will take a registrar's letter from my school in Jan saying I have graduated from school and will get my bachelor's on such and such a date later? This is ONLY for the CoE.

Because theres no way I can give them the diploma or even a copy until late feb or march. The Japanese school job starts in April next year and I don't know if I apply in Jan if there is enough time to get the CoE and visa to make it before April. This is really killing me here. I am graduating but the paperwork for that graduation is not until Feb at the earliest unless the registrar's letter is an acceptable substitute to get CoE??? I'm very worried I cannot get any job if they say my degree is too late for the visa.

Is there any way for me to save this opportunity here? Could I ask Japanese immigration if they can give me the CoE now and I'll send them the degree later when I receive it?

AVN
November 13th, 2010, 19:27
Seriously this sounds sketchy. You should be able to get an original copy, that's what I did for my jobs.

Also size has nothing to do with trustworthiness.
I worked for GEOS one of the big Eikaiwa and they screwed everyone over and were sketchtasic.

Even Interac, one of the largest ALT companies, has a terrible reputation. Seriously if you've hidden your identity well tell us the name of the company so we can tell what we know about it.

adrianjet
November 14th, 2010, 09:31
Seriously this sounds sketchy. You should be able to get an original copy, that's what I did for my jobs.

Also size has nothing to do with trustworthiness.
I worked for GEOS one of the big Eikaiwa and they screwed everyone over and were sketchtasic.

Even Interac, one of the largest ALT companies, has a terrible reputation. Seriously if you've hidden your identity well tell us the name of the company so we can tell what we know about it.

Actually I do want to talk about Interac. I was rejected for a job with them earlier. I put in the resume, wrote a great essay, slapped on a picture, the works, etc. However I believe the reason they didn't hire me was because I blew the phone interview. I was a little too picky about the particular prefectures I wanted so I think that made me miss the boat. I just want to ask is it possible to get another shot with that company? I'm taking some TEFL exam courses to get certified and I don't know if I can try again with Interac with a TEFL certificate if that could make a difference. I checked my profile again on Interac website but it looks like I can't submit anything so its nothing more than a resume graveyard.

privileged
November 16th, 2010, 17:15
To me the timing question, that you don't HAVE the degree sounds like a very valid issue and likely one the company has had to deal with before. Why not ask them? I don't think there is ever a time where you would be directly asking immigration for anything.

I am pretty sure when I got my first visa through AEON my original degree was required.

I am also pretty confident that if you want to apply for Interac again you will be able to. There is probably a thing that says "Have you applied before." They are such a crap organization it is tempting to think you could check "no" and get away with it, but I would still check "yes" and know they will ask you why you think you didn't get the job before. Tough to answer, come up with something good!

BakuHatsu
November 22nd, 2010, 06:40
since a lot of people don't seem to realize this.....250K is a very NORMAL salary in Japan...even for people working in actual big company offices etc. I interned at a very large and well-known international Japanese company in Tokyo, and if I had stayed with them I would be making 250K. The only difference is actual company companies in Japan will sometimes supplement housing (though they don't pay all of it) and they're better about paying traveling expenses (especially if you live far away from the office), they also give decent holiday bonuses....