PDA

View Full Version : Help! Activity for v. unmotivated group

jerseywonder
November 2nd, 2010, 14:38
So my supervisor / JTE just told me to plan her lessons for Thursday. There are 2 classes of low-academic students .. the groups are really small, 2 boys in one and 3 in the other. None of them like talking or interacting much; their preferred response to "How are you?" is "sleepy" and then they slip into a coma for the rest of the lesson.

What can I possibly do to entertain them??! I've been given no direction - any topic is fine, apparently. Brilliant. The size of the groups means I can't do most of the activities in the Planet Eigo book. I was thinking maybe some kind of quiz but these are kids who aren't even aware that India is part of Asia. Um. Can anyone help?!

Jojo
November 2nd, 2010, 14:45
So my supervisor / JTE just told me to plan her lessons for Thursday. There are 2 classes of low-academic students .. the groups are really small, 2 boys in one and 3 in the other. None of them like talking or interacting much; their preferred response to "How are you?" is "sleepy" and then they slip into a coma for the rest of the lesson.

What can I possibly do to entertain them??! I've been given no direction - any topic is fine, apparently. Brilliant. The size of the groups means I can't do most of the activities in the Planet Eigo book. I was thinking maybe some kind of quiz but these are kids who aren't even aware that India is part of Asia. Um. Can anyone help?!
.....so how many kids in total do you have? and what year?....

Azrael
November 2nd, 2010, 14:59
what school?

jerseywonder
November 2nd, 2010, 15:14
These particular classes consist of 2 and 3 students. 3rd graders. But their level is probably that of JHS.

Jojo
November 2nd, 2010, 15:59
These particular classes consist of 2 and 3 students. 3rd graders. But their level is probably that of JHS.
So being that they are low level then you mean that they are 3rd grade SHS? That's hard to teach especially if they dont want to be there... what kind of things have they done in previous lessons ? with 3 students there are some good card games you can adapt to most topics - but it needs to be something they are allready familiar with...

jerseywonder
November 2nd, 2010, 16:32
Yeah, SHS sorry. Card games ... sounds interesting. Their topics have just been the shitty things in the textbooks, nothing particularly exciting. Their vocab is very limited as well. Might have a quick google of ESL card games now before I leave - maybe inspiration will strike!

patjs
November 5th, 2010, 19:08
Card or board games might go over well. If they are low-motivation and low-level stay away from anything complicated or anything using too much english. Check englipedia for board games you can print out or card games. I think the key is to think BASIC BASIC BASIC and don't insert anything too advanced. Once those kinds of kids get into "wakanne, eigo kiraidashi" mode it's game over.