PDA

View Full Version : English board and Christmas

Antonath
November 15th, 2010, 09:05
For those of you with boards at school, when do you start doing the christmas stuff? It seems a little early at the moment, but then all the shops have christmas plastered everywhere, so maybe now is a good time.

nikunikuniku
November 15th, 2010, 13:00
For those of you with boards at school, when do you start doing the christmas stuff? It seems a little early at the moment, but then all the shops have christmas plastered everywhere, so maybe now is a good time.
whenever you feel like it really. I usually wait til the end of the month, or december. You could always do a november board on something like Thanksgiving, or harvest festivals from around the world.

maybe fit the scene from the wicker man into it.. The bees,, the bees

word
November 16th, 2010, 10:36
I did Thanksgiving last year; this year I did a football (American) board. I even managed to acquire a smallish rubber football as a prop. Christmas stuff won't come until December. I think I'm gonna put up a small tree this year.

Kegger
November 17th, 2010, 10:13
Hmm mine is still on Halloween and Divali; I should update it, but skipping onto Christmas seems a bit hasty. I don't know anything about Thanksgiving or Harvest festivals (and I don't think my students would care much) coming from a country that does nothing between November the 5th and December 24th.. shall I just leave it for a few more weeks?

Page
November 17th, 2010, 13:27
That's what wikipedia is for. I got the english and jp versions from Japanese wiki. Even if they don't care, you get bonus points from the teachers. Plus you'd be surprised what they're in to. They freaked out about black Friday and the pictures of food I posted.
Posted via Mobile Device

word
November 17th, 2010, 14:18
Yeah, Black Friday shit really interested a lot of kids last year, and food pics/info always works in Japan.

ashleytwo
November 21st, 2010, 06:35
Hmm mine is still on Halloween and Divali; I should update it, but skipping onto Christmas seems a bit hasty. I don't know anything about Thanksgiving or Harvest festivals (and I don't think my students would care much) coming from a country that does nothing between November the 5th and December 24th.. shall I just leave it for a few more weeks?

Looking at my calendar its apparently St. Andrews Day on the 30th November. He's the patron saint of Scotland and apparently part of the reason the Scottish flag is as it is (I've learnt something new myself!).

Maybe something about advent calendars, then its not quite Christmas but its something for the time being?

Jordan
November 22nd, 2010, 00:34
St Andrews Day isn't even a big holiday here, the national day people mark more often is Burns Day in January.

ashleytwo
November 22nd, 2010, 00:56
Yeah but the Japanese kids don't know that :p

Or maybe that could be the board's point.

word
November 23rd, 2010, 19:57
They won't give a crap about obscure holidays. They want you to put up a board about Christmas every year. They want you to put up a board about Halloween every year, even if you're from some weird place that doesn't celebrate it. They want the same old crap every other American ALT puts up, not put something up about some obscure holiday that nobody cares about, unless you can make it look really cool... I did a Dia de los Muertos display once that went over well, but, of course, it's pretty compatible with Halloween. Black Friday is popular 'cause Japanese people (women in particular) like shopping, so, yanno...

Kegger
November 29th, 2010, 11:58
I feel its an appropriate time to start thinking + changing the English board now. At least it's closer to December now. I was thinking red + green paperchains, but I have black and orange ones up at the moment, so might feel a bit "samey". Not really sure how far I should towards the religious aspects of Christmas. What are you guys thinking?

Truthsauce
November 29th, 2010, 14:48
I think it's safe to mention that some people are more into the religious aspect than others. In my family, where you drink fuzzy navels and sit around the Christmas giraffe, there's no Jesus involved, of course. But I don't think you can be faulted for showing the religious aspects and roots via pictures and decorations. Realistically, that's one of the things that makes it very different from Japanese Christmas.

How do you think Jesus fed so many people? Loaves and fish? More like "crunchy" and "puffed".

Kegger
November 29th, 2010, 15:28
Considering my family is closer to RomulusLupin's, any religious aspect of Christmas I were to put in would be toned down. Whilst I happily "celebrate" Christmas with no religious contexts, I guess it makes it a bit weird to describe /why/ I do, without them. Ho hum.

Kegger
November 30th, 2010, 08:27
Indeed. Just to be on the safe side, maybe I'll avoid it completely. Don't really fancy an awkward conversation about religion...or any conversation about religion with them :P I think I'll just fashion a giant Christmas tree out of card for the board...Ooo, and stick magnets on it, and perhaps change the picture each day, to represent advent...or something. Go go christmas trees \o/. They're vaguely British too.

Kegger
November 30th, 2010, 08:29
Or focus it on yule, which less religious.

word
December 2nd, 2010, 12:10
You can talk about Jesus without making it about religion, much in the same way you can talk about Gandhi or Snoopy or Dragonball Z without making it about religion. Just leave all the "savior" and "son of God" and "homosexuality is evil" and any other such lunacy out of it, and you'll be fine. Just make it out to be exactly what it is--an old story that a lot of people take way the hell too seriously.