PDA

View Full Version : NYC Consulate Interviews

dendrite
February 15th, 2005, 05:23
I'm leaving tomorrow for my interview in NYC on Wednesday. I'm not sure what day the interviews begin, but here's a thread for us NYC folks to compare notes.

Today I paid $9 for a horrible picture of me to put on the interview voucher. It was so expensive because I got a second copy to renew my passport. I really need to make a good impression if that's what they're going to be jogging their memories with! I hope the weather this week isn't too crappy.

Good luck to everyone!

quasarsglow
February 15th, 2005, 21:32
I'll be there on Thursday. Good luck. I just printed out a snapshot I took of myself on my camera and printed it out on glossy photo paper. I can't decide if it's a good idea to run and have a couple passport pics made or not.
*ponders*

professor_chimpenstein
February 15th, 2005, 22:37
wouldnt worry about it too much as i have one of those faces that makes me look like a criminal in all photos and i still got here.

is there a thread on this board within the past 24 hours that im not in?

im gonna go check

p.s. gud luck all you applicants

quasarsglow
February 17th, 2005, 04:49
I'm leaving tomorrow for my interview in NYC on Wednesday.

How'd your interview go? Well, I hope. I'm on deck for tomorrow and strangely calm.. perhaps I should be more nervous... :?

dendrite
February 18th, 2005, 00:02
How'd your interview go? Well, I hope. I'm on deck for tomorrow and strangely calm.. perhaps I should be more nervous... :?

My interview went pretty well. I was in Group C and the interviewers were rather nice people. I definitely had some trouble with a couple of the questions. I even forgot to tell them I'm taking a class on modern Japanese history!! Ugh!

Overall, though, I think I was able to make a pretty good impression. They didn't ask any deliberately tricky questions or corner me on anything.

For instance:
-How would you describe America?
-I see you haven't been to Japan. What do you know about Japan?
-You may have very little privacy because people will be so curious about you. How would you react to this?
-What is your teaching philosophy?
-If you could bring 3 things that would represent America, what would they be? (Wow, that one was hard under pressure.)
-People might try to keep you out of social groups or spread rumors about you. How would you cope?
-You may be in a very isolated rural area. How would you cope?

It was still stressful, though. I feel very relaxed now that it's over with!

quasarsglow
February 18th, 2005, 09:30
well I just had mine today, I'm in the airport terminal now waiting to go home, actually.

Yours sounds a great deal more difficult than mine. I went into room D.

I was asked to give a short introduction in Japanese, to describe the Fourth of July, why I want to return to Japan and if I would only want to return to work in the places I've lived/visited before.

The only thing that gave me much trouble was a question about "what if you JTE makes a mistake in class, how would you handle that?"

I fumbled for a bit then got around to saying that I wouldn't mention it in the class, but I would ask them about it after class privately, and at that time ask them if they would like me to mention other things I notice as the term goes along.

So I hope non-confrontational confrontation was the right idea. The folks who interviewed me were super nice. I mentioned that I'm currently reading Kokoro and the Japanese language teacher started asking me if I noticed literary differences between Japanese fiction and American stuff.. I'm not a literature student, but I made some stuff up on the fly. :)