PDA

View Full Version : Attn: iPhone and iPod Touch users

Tarquin
December 1st, 2010, 13:16
Japanese - one of the highly recommended dictionary apps for iOS is currently on offer.

see the link here

Japanese for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/japanese/id290664053?mt=8)

$6.99 / £3.49 / Something Yens.

FamilyMart
December 1st, 2010, 14:14
do these apps work with any version of the ipod? do you have to have the latest software updates for your ipod as well? and do you know how to get korean and japanese to work on an ipod?

thx :p

Azrael
December 1st, 2010, 14:17
go into the apple store in sendai. that way you'll have someone to talk to - dont worry, they have to. its their job.

JayK
December 2nd, 2010, 18:55
better than Kotoba / worth paying for ?

Kegger
December 2nd, 2010, 19:20
Psst. Jailbreak...

Omoplata
December 12th, 2010, 11:13
better than Kotoba / worth paying for ?

Yeah, this one is actually worth paying for. I use it loads everyday.

wnzszi
January 9th, 2011, 18:03
Yeah, if you only pay for one app on your iDevice, I'd suggest that you make it Japanese. They update the program fairly often and it has loads of Japanese-related study tools: Hiragana/Katakana charts, Japanese expressions, Kanji stroke orders and example sentences, built-in flash card system, and loads more.

Virus FM
February 5th, 2011, 21:22
Definitely the best Japanese tool in the app store, but be warned it's based on the Jim Breen database which has a lot of junk that people never use in real life. J -> E is okay but take E -> J with caution.

MJN
February 6th, 2011, 21:57
The Japanese apps I use that I consider worth it are Kotoba and the JLTP test app.

I also have Anki, I use it a lot at home going through the smart.fm core 2000/6000 decks, and didn't mind paying the £15 for the app. Heck most of what I know of Japanese I owe to it, so I consider it a small price to pay.

Eudox
February 7th, 2011, 08:02
Which JLPT test app do you use?

MJN
February 7th, 2011, 08:24
JLPT Study (http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/jlpt-study-1-5-level-kanji/id330922255?mt=8)

There's a free version here (http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/jlpt-study-free-kanji-vocabulary/id332539328?mt=8) which covers the level 5 Kanji, I believe.

Eudox
February 7th, 2011, 12:54
Ah I know the one. Last time i tried it I wasn't too impressed by the free version so I didn't buy the full one. I'll give it another go though.

I also use iKanji for kanji practice. It is quite a nice wee app.

theonewhogrins
March 28th, 2011, 21:17
Ooh, so is the Anki app actually worth buying?

I have the Japanese app and I've been using it to review stuff since the flashcard review for the JLPT isn't that bad. It's not anki, but it still gets me studying.

Grape
May 3rd, 2011, 14:07
Isn't Anki like $20 or something ridiculous? I coincidentally have $20 in iTunes giftcards and I'm currently looking for the best Japanese language apps.

Has anything amazing been released in the past year?

kawaiijutsu
May 4th, 2011, 13:19
anyone know if there's any good apps for the iphone/touch for the kanji kentei test? i have that coming up in about a month X.X
also, i myself prefer kotoba and anki. anki's a little pricey, but oh so worth it if you have to cram in vocab quickly before quizzes. ill prolly still use it on my own for individual study (though really, for that, the app on my computer would be just as well). if you dont wanna have to worry about carrying your laptop or whatever around with you to study, it's worth the money to get the anki ipod app.
I'll look into this Japanese app though. I'm normally pretty wary of any app that uncreatively named :P
also, they made some apps from the tae kim databases that are pretty good. i personally find them a little unwieldy and hard to search, but some like them a lot. i also think they're either free or around 1 dollar.

Larrikin
May 10th, 2011, 15:32
Isn't Anki like $20 or something ridiculous? I coincidentally have $20 in iTunes giftcards and I'm currently looking for the best Japanese language apps.

Has anything amazing been released in the past year?
I bought it for my iPad and I pretty much only use my iPad for Anki now it was worth it to me. I think I would become annoyed using Anki on such a small unless I had a long commute

Oppai
May 10th, 2011, 18:45
Japanese - one of the highly recommended dictionary apps for iOS is currently on offer.

see the link here

Japanese for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/japanese/id290664053?mt=8)

$6.99 / £3.49 / Something Yens.

This app is the shit. But it was £6.99 when i got it iirc.

I've also got Anki on my android, but I have no idea if its anything like the apple app version.

kawaiijutsu
May 12th, 2011, 05:06
and do you know how to get korean and japanese to work on an ipod?
thx :p

To get other languages enabled, go to Settings > General > Keyboard > International Keyboards > Add New Keyboard...
That should get you whatever the hell you want. I recommend enabling both Japanese and Chinese Simplified. The Chinese Simplified is nice because it lets you draw in the kanji. While it doesn't work perfectly for all kanji in Japanese, it's nice when you don't wanna look up by radicals for a 24+ stroke character.

And RomulusLupin, thanks for the tip! I'll check and see if they have a version for the test I'm taking...I'm just doing the level 8 cause I wanted to be able to pass, and make sure I had a good grounding in the more basic kanji. Also knew I'd only have a month to study more after finals were done. Thanks!

skitch_84
May 21st, 2011, 06:06
To get other languages enabled, go to Settings > General > Keyboard > International Keyboards > Add New Keyboard...
That should get you whatever the hell you want. I recommend enabling both Japanese and Chinese Simplified. The Chinese Simplified is nice because it lets you draw in the kanji. While it doesn't work perfectly for all kanji in Japanese, it's nice when you don't wanna look up by radicals for a 24+ stroke character.

There is a new Japanese→English/English→Japanese dictionary app out now called "Midori" that has its own native Japanese Kanji drawing pad so you don't have to deal with the limitations of Apple's Chinese Hanzi-only program. The dictionary itself is fantastic, its only limitation compared to "Japanese" or "Kotoba" being that the verb entries do not include the conjugation list.

skitch_84
June 6th, 2011, 04:18
In case anyone was interested in my dictionary app recommendation above, I wanted to let you know that they have included listings of verb conjugations in the latest update. It is by far the best Japanese→English/English→Japanese dictionary app I've used yet. :)

Ebi
July 21st, 2011, 18:14
I've been aware of the online version for awhile, but I just discovered that kanji box (kanjibox.net) has an app for the iPhone too. Unlike the online version it's not free, but I like it much more than all of my current apps to study Japanese. It's really well designed, easy to use, and has a lot of options for customization.

Eternal Melody
December 2nd, 2012, 02:44
JLPT Study (http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/jlpt-study-1-5-level-kanji/id330922255?mt=8)

There's a free version here (http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/jlpt-study-free-kanji-vocabulary/id332539328?mt=8) which covers the level 5 Kanji, I believe.

I know this is an older post, but if you have already taken the N5 JLPT using this app to study, did you find that the Kanji and Vocabularies correspond on the exam? I upgraded to the full version and am using this in conjunction with other apps as well, but find the contents to be to be less challenging. What are your thoughts?

Eternal Melody
December 2nd, 2012, 02:55
I've been aware of the online version for awhile, but I just discovered that kanji box (kanjibox.net) has an app for the iPhone too. Unlike the online version it's not free, but I like it much more than all of my current apps to study Japanese. It's really well designed, easy to use, and has a lot of options for customization.

I found Kanji box to be pretty awesome as well, and especially like that it shows you the correct animated stroke order for each Kanji.

I am also using i-Sokki (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/i-sokki-japanese-vocabulary/id499189074?mt=8) (free for N5). Aside from a few small cut-off/ mix up sounds, its pretty awesome as it has the audio for all levels (upgrade, which is really worth it). I like the quiz option where it reads out the vocabulary. The Kanjis and Vocabs are arranged in Alphabetical order by Romanji, a +/- depending how you look at it.

MJN
December 3rd, 2012, 08:52
I know this is an older post, but if you have already taken the N5 JLPT using this app to study, did you find that the Kanji and Vocabularies correspond on the exam? I upgraded to the full version and am using this in conjunction with other apps as well, but find the contents to be to be less challenging. What are your thoughts?

I've not sat the JLPT yet, but I've found it's conveniently splitting the kanji into well-made chunks. I've stopped using it as much now, though. These days, It's almost exclusively Anki and the grammar textbooks I'm using.

The app is a good reinforcer, though. I've been a bit lazy with Anki so have a backlog to work through, but when I find I'm out of Anki cards for the day and I feel like studying it's good to spend 10 minutes and rattle through a couple of hundred cards.

Eternal Melody
December 7th, 2012, 05:35
I've not sat the JLPT yet, but I've found it's conveniently splitting the kanji into well-made chunks. I've stopped using it as much now, though. These days, It's almost exclusively Anki and the grammar textbooks I'm using.

The app is a good reinforcer, though. I've been a bit lazy with Anki so have a backlog to work through, but when I find I'm out of Anki cards for the day and I feel like studying it's good to spend 10 minutes and rattle through a couple of hundred cards.

It seems like Anki is the preferred choice of the majority on this forum. I will definitely have to look into that thanks!

If you like the JLPT study format, the same person also made another one (Japanese2000) which I find somewhat helpful as it shows the usage of the words in a sample sentence. I'm testing out the lite version as I still have yet to master all the content (250 words).