PDA

View Full Version : Dell Computers?

Lianwen
December 14th, 2010, 13:16
So, I need a new computer soon, and I'm wondering what kind I should get? Mac is a little too expensive, so I was thinking a Dell would fit better into my price-range. Now, I don't want some flimsy little netbook, because there's not enough processing power for me to be able to do everything that I need with one (also, most netbooks' trackpads bother me), but I'd like an actual laptop.

Just wondering if anyone has some recommendations. I'm willing to go anywhere between 400-800 dollars for one. I'm also thinking Dell because I can actually fix it myself if it breaks. I wouldn't know the first thing about repairing a Mac myself.

Any suggestions? Like, i3 versus i5 processor? Also, does Dell still sell computers with the little nubby mouse in the keyboard? I don't actually like using the touchpad.

Azrael
December 14th, 2010, 13:25
cheap dells are shit and decent ones cost more than macs.

I'd look at acer, asus or toshiba if I were you

Taurus
December 14th, 2010, 13:37
I would really advise against getting a Dell laptop, personally. I got one and was really pleased with it until the battery started going. Within about half a year I was unable to use it for more than about half an hour; within eight months of buying it the battery was completely dead. If I unplug the power cord now it just switches off.

That's compounded by the fact that it was impossible for me to get in touch with anyone from Dell to complain, either via email or phone, apart from an India-based call centre via an inaudible phone line whose only response, in broken English, was to try to sell me a replacement.

Then, when I tried to buy a replacement battery from Yodobashi Camera they told me that only Dell sells official replacement batteries for Dell laptops. And apparently if your battery is not an official Dell battery, your Dell laptop's software will prevent it from being utilised properly.

So now, since I'm unwilling to pay the exorbitant prices for a replacement battery that might last less than a year, my laptop is effectively immobile.

word
December 14th, 2010, 13:41
I also advise against Dell. Az is right on about the prices vs. quality, and I've known several people who ended up with the immobile laptop that Taurus is describing.

But if you're dead-set on getting one, there's a dude who sometimes shows up hawking shitty used Dell laptops for twice what they're worth. His name is Jonathan or something.

Lianwen
December 14th, 2010, 13:49
cheap dells are shit and decent ones cost more than macs.

I'd look at acer, asus or toshiba if I were you

My sister has a Toshiba, and while she has had it for a year, it's battery lasts for only a few minutes and dies. I'm also concerned about the warranty. As far as I know, Toshiba won't replace a battery if it dies.

Dell's warranty seems okay?

Azrael
December 14th, 2010, 13:56
well if its warranties you want...... must resist urge to say get a ma...

if you are happy with dell then go with dell. for 400 dollars you are only going to be using it for 2-3 years max anyway so it doesn't really matter what you get.

Lianwen
December 14th, 2010, 14:02
well if its warranties you want...... must resist urge to say get a ma...

if you are happy with dell then go with dell. for 400 dollars you are only going to be using it for 2-3 years max anyway so it doesn't really matter what you get.

Do Mac warranties last for more than a year? Because I would shell out more money if I could get a three year at least, and that included accidental protection...because knowing my luck I'll put it on top of my car and drive over it repeatedly, or accidentally my fish bowl will fall and shatter (with fish and water) all over the keyboard - after falling on my head first and concussing me.

The chances of me doing something extremely stupid with my computer are high... :(

word
December 14th, 2010, 14:37
You can pay for Applecare for 3 years; it's only a couple of hundred bucks, so I think it's worth it. Others will probably disagree with me. I would bet that a Mac would survive being driven over, though.

Tarquin
December 14th, 2010, 14:45
you'll be hard pressed to find an extended warranty with a computer company that covers accidental damage.

Also: Batteries die, it's a fact of life, they shouldn't die within a year generally but you should start noticing performance decrease by then, it all depends on how often you charge it and how often you use it on battery power. Odds are the battery will never be covered by warranty, unless it say, dies after a month of usage.

P.s. Apples warranty is worldwide, What about the dell / insert other company here. Something to think about.

another edit: also, youre talking about fixing it yourself if it breaks and you're also saying you need accidental damage for when you break it? I wouldn't open up any laptop if I were you. and FYI Macs contain mostly the same components as a PC now anyway, and even then if you have a hardware problem with a laptop beyond RAM or Hard Drive attempting to fix it yourself is pretty futile.

Taurus
December 14th, 2010, 15:33
What about the dell / insert other company here.

I'm almost certain that Dell warranties are pretty worthless, and they don't extend beyond the country you bought it, I think.

But you should also check your local statutory rights - it might not be worth buying a warranty if it doesn't go beyond your statutory rights to not buy something defective.

December 14th, 2010, 16:29
If you want pc, I've had decent luck with Sony laptops in the past. Asus' are nice as well.

Definitely check out the refurb sections of official sites, especially Apple's. Being willing to get your laptop in a plain box can save hundreds. Same warranty, same computer, lame box. (If you have a decent AmEx card it will double electronics manufacturer warranties)

Dells suck.

patjs
December 14th, 2010, 20:00
I've been researching laptops. I got it boiled down to either a mac or asus. If you need something powerful that isn't going to cost 3,000 dollars then the asus gaming laptops look pretty nice and I think come with a worldwide warranty as well.

I really do want another mac but they are due for an update soon so I'm holding out. Also I can't convince myself spending 1-2 grand on a new computer I don't absolutely need is a very good idea.

Azrael
December 14th, 2010, 22:20
cheapskate.

Antonath
December 15th, 2010, 09:41
I bought a Dell laptop just before I came over last year, and I've had very few problems with it. I rarely use it for games (I have a self-build for that), but it browses the internet, runs Word, Excel, iTunes, Skype, etc with no problems, and can play movies in HD.

Kegger
December 15th, 2010, 10:42
Don't go dell. Here is what happened when I rang them up a few years ago:

"Hi there, I purchased a desktop from you a few months ago, and the keyboard isn't working. I have called Logitech up, but as I bought the package from you, I have been told to ring up your customer support about a replacement as its within warranty."

"Your what is broken?"

"My keyboard"

"Key-Boat? What is a keyboat madam?"

"No, Keyboard, the thing you type on"

"Your keybread? We do not sell these items with our computers."

"No. KEY BOARD"

"Key-BOT?"

"KEYBOARD, KEYBOARD!, YOU TYPE ON IT"

"OH, key-broad. Have you tried turning the computer on and off"

... *facepalm*

"I'll call logictech again, goodbye." *Slam phone down".

--

I kid you not, this was my entire conversation with them. stupid call center in india.

--

Amusingly: NEUROTICALLY YOURS CARTOON: TECH SUPPORT (http://www.illwillpress.com/techYT.html)

Kegger
December 15th, 2010, 11:53
Actually, I'm generally a happy-go-lucky person. The tech support amused me mostly when I was on the phone, but afterwards, trying to get anything sorted was incredibly hard.

Also, politics is something I get very riled up about. My apologies if I come across as some sort of crazy knife-wielding angry English(wo)man.

I am a happy person. Happy happy happy. ¬_¬. (Just having a bit of a pants day.)

MixedNuts
December 15th, 2010, 13:18
That being said, tech support is almost always a problem for any product of any brand.

If you pay for the extended warranty, though, they sometimes give you a special number to call that isn't in India and they work with you faster. I still wouldn't recommend Dell, however. Even if your battery doesn't run out, the construction is pretty shoddy. All of the pieces will be jiggly and disconnected after a few months and no screwdriver seems to fit the screws.

Yup, that's what happened to me. I bought my first desktop from Dell and liked it, so a few years later I decided to buy a laptop from them too.

My laptop wasn't top of the line, but it wasn't the cheapest system either. It was really heavy and boxy, and even from the moment it came out of the box the fan would run almost constantly and very LOUDLY. But the biggest issue was the fact that the internal wireless card wasn't screwed in properly, so the computer would detect the card and then not detect it repeatedly on and off every few minutes so it was impossible for me to use it. Didn't think that the card would not be screwed in, so I called tech support, and it turns out that between getting my desktop and the laptop they outsourced the call center to India. Spent maybe 2 days on the phone with them for hours at a time before figuring out that I needed to screw the card in. But of course, not before they made me reinstall Windows twice. Thanks, "Pam."

My current laptop is Toshiba and I don't have many complaints although my experience hasn't been 100% hassle free with them either. I think customer call centers are just general wastelands in general, but at least Toshiba's was still stateside.

Kegger
December 15th, 2010, 14:07
Don't get a HP, whatever you do. Not worth the agro you will face. And you will face agro. They make good printers, but that's it.

I have an acer netbook, its served me well :)