PDA

View Full Version : Interac Placements Spring 2011

Starbuck83
December 31st, 2010, 19:44
Has anyone received notice about tentative placements for Interac's Spring hires? They sent me an email and said it would be late Dec to mid Jan before most of the tentative placements would be completed.

Daddyatemyfries
January 4th, 2011, 05:36
hey, sorry I don't have the answer to your question but I also applied to interac and passed the intial screening. I have a telephone interview in february, and in your opinion how easy is the phone + initial interview as well as acceptance rate? I know you mentioned it before, but I wanted more detail from your perspective.

Starbuck83
January 4th, 2011, 09:54
I can't comment on the acceptance rate, but I think only around 10% of applicants make it to the group interview stage. I think they mentioned that in one of the emails. I didn't feel the phone screening was that difficult because I prepared some answers to questions I thought they would ask or that people listed in the forum. Make sure to play up the fact that you want to be a teacher, and not just go there for a year long vacation in Japan. In general my experiences with Interac so far have been pleasant. The guy that interviewed me on the phone was nice, and the girl that did my individual and group interview was really cool. Also sound genki on the phone; they want someone that is upbeat and has good energy.

Daddyatemyfries
January 5th, 2011, 00:34
Thanks Starbuck...
So basically if I nail the phone interview, I have a good chance of getting in!! I hope you find your placement soon

patjs
January 8th, 2011, 13:24
I can't comment on the acceptance rate, but I think only around 10% of applicants make it to the group interview stage. I think they mentioned that in one of the emails.

my god what kind of applicants are they getting that interac only accepts 10% of people that apply.

The 49er
January 13th, 2011, 00:26
Hi, I was accepted and will be teaching with Interac in 2011. I just want to know who else has been given employment and what their status is.

Shankerbelle
January 13th, 2011, 01:21
my god what kind of applicants are they getting that interac only accepts 10% of people that apply.

I think they lied. There were some right morons at the interview session i went to. Even made me doubt my mentality at one point.

patjs
January 13th, 2011, 07:32
Yeah, I had some idiot recruiter call me once to do a phone interview and invite me to the group interview, and sent me the email and all that. Then he calls me like 3 days later and starts to try to have an interview with me again. I told him that he had just interviewed me a few days ago and he was like "Oh... uhhh YEAH! We.uhhh... have a lot of applications..." idiot.

Daddyatemyfries
January 13th, 2011, 07:53
thats comforting to know about my back up plan XD

Kerensa
January 13th, 2011, 11:17
hey, sorry I don't have the answer to your question but I also applied to interac and passed the intial screening. I have a telephone interview in february, and in your opinion how easy is the phone + initial interview as well as acceptance rate? I know you mentioned it before, but I wanted more detail from your perspective.

I have a phone interview with them in March. I am super excited and plan to practice my Japanese more thoroughly while I wait. Even if they don't choose to me, I can say I tried and did my best.

Regardless, March is a long way off. :(

Daddyatemyfries
January 13th, 2011, 11:32
I feel your pain. I got notification that I passed the screening on November, and I had to wait till Feb...bleh

Kerensa
January 13th, 2011, 13:05
But yours is coming up so I have my fingers crossed for you. :) You'll have to be sure to tell us how it goes, how you felt and the questions they asked (even though it's been posted by others before). Nevertheless, I'd love to hear your initial impression of the phone interview.

Danikinz
January 13th, 2011, 15:05
I was wondering if anyone had any issues regarding uploading the photograph on their Interac application? I keep getting this message:

The required name 'D*******S****082319**.jpg'
and your photo
'D*******S****082319**.JPG' don't match.
Please rename your photo to match
'D*******S****082319**.jpg' the required name shown.

It's really frustrating me because the only difference between the two titles is .jpg and .JPG wtf. :mad:

Kerensa
January 13th, 2011, 15:37
I would say change the JPG to jpg and see if it works. It does state that the required name is lowercase. It may be case sensitive.

Danikinz
January 13th, 2011, 15:41
I would say change the JPG to jpg and see if it works. It does state that the required name is lowercase. It may be case sensitive.

I tried that but it didn't work, just turned the end of the file name to .jpg.JPG. :rolleyes:

Daddyatemyfries
January 13th, 2011, 15:43
Thx kerensa you too!
@Dani: did u try using that photo crop program they offer?

Danikinz
January 13th, 2011, 15:44
Thx kerensa you too!
@Dani: did u try using that photo crop program they offer?

Yep! :( It even saved it as an uppercase .JPG from there.

Daddyatemyfries
January 13th, 2011, 15:50
weird...=/
And u did name it the way they wanted u to as well?

Danikinz
January 13th, 2011, 15:53
Yeah, month before the date and everything. So annoying. x__x;

Starbuck83
January 13th, 2011, 23:44
Hi, I was accepted and will be teaching with Interac in 2011. I just want to know who else has been given employment and what their status is.

I've been hired. I am just waiting on placement information. I should be leaving in March at some point.

Starbuck83
January 13th, 2011, 23:46
I was wondering if anyone had any issues regarding uploading the photograph on their Interac application? I keep getting this message:

The required name 'D*******S****082319**.jpg'
and your photo
'D*******S****082319**.JPG' don't match.
Please rename your photo to match
'D*******S****082319**.jpg' the required name shown.

It's really frustrating me because the only difference between the two titles is .jpg and .JPG wtf. :mad:

One of my friends had a problem with the picture too. Make sure that it is the exact pixel dimensions in height and width first. Then check to make sure your name and birth date are correct. I didn't have any problems with mine, so I'm not sure where yours might be messed up. On my friend's he had the wrong dimensions for his picture and it wouldn't upload.

Kerensa
January 14th, 2011, 00:02
I tried that but it didn't work, just turned the end of the file name to .jpg.JPG. :rolleyes:

Try taking that JPG and opening it in paint. Resave it as .jpg if possible (but don't rewrite your original with the upper case). Afterward test the water by attempting to upload the new image to your application (if jpg is lower case). If it works, and your lost picture quality so you don't want to use it, send me a message with a link to the picture and I'll resave it in photoshop and send it back your way. I'll do my best to help you on any cropping/resaving you have to do.

If I seem incoherent atm its because I juuuust woke up.

Danikinz
January 14th, 2011, 02:26
Thanks Kerensa, when I was trying to resave it in Paint before I kept replacing the old image, but when saving it as something else it worked. :D Image uploaded, hoorah!

Edit: Dang Interac move fast, just had a phone interview! :s

Daddyatemyfries
January 16th, 2011, 00:24
wow that was fast(Why is America so slow...)
I wish you luck!!

Ame
January 17th, 2011, 06:01
After not being able to get into JET due to a hole in my transcript that my previous school has been unwilling to fix, I decided to go the Interac route. All's kosher and I got an offer letter... now just waiting on my placement~

-E-
January 18th, 2011, 05:12
I'm in the same boat as a lot of you, apparently. I was hired a while ago, and am waiting for my placement. I was told earlier that I would probably hear something around the end of January, but we'll just have to wait and see.

*looks at watch*

K-On!
January 20th, 2011, 14:06
Good luck guys! I think Interac is starting to send placement information now so you should know very soon!

MJN
January 21st, 2011, 09:12
Are Interac still recruting? Their website seems to be taking applications, but the seminars have all passed.

Also, is the start date for them March/April only or are there start dates throughout the year? I've got my degree already, but I'm doing a postgrad I'd ideally like to finish (~June) before I go anywhere.

K-On!
January 21st, 2011, 09:16
Interac's second biggest hiring season is in August, so no problems there! :kaos_cactus_panh: They also have positions throughout the year if someone takes off and they need to fill a position, but I think it's more likely to find someone within the country to take that job. If you don't mind being part-time it's easier to find jobs, I think!

-E-
January 21st, 2011, 14:01
I just received my phone call today!

I am so happy about my placement, that I don't even want to share it and jinx my karma. :D

What were the odds?!

Shankerbelle
January 21st, 2011, 19:54
Congrats!

What was your placement?

Daddyatemyfries
January 21st, 2011, 23:22
congrads you silly french man!!

Ame
January 22nd, 2011, 08:58
I got my placement, too, and I'm thrilled~!!

Daddyatemyfries
January 22nd, 2011, 09:17
was it a city placement if you mind me asking?
February can't come any sooner...I can't wait XD

Ame
January 22nd, 2011, 09:46
was it a city placement if you mind me asking?
February can't come any sooner...I can't wait XD

I don't mind you asking at all... It is a city placement. :D

Daddyatemyfries
January 22nd, 2011, 10:19
good deal!! I heard Interac wanted to send people going in March to the inaka, this is looking good♥

Koshka
January 24th, 2011, 06:51
Hello all~ I know you might not know me, but I thought I'd share anyways. I got my placement details a few days ago - a city called Hitachi. Does anyone know anything about this place? From what I've seen and read so far I'm really happy with their choice :)

Daddyatemyfries
January 24th, 2011, 13:37
..hey, to any past Interac applicants who signed up for the fall intake, do you know when they held their seminars? Is it mandatory you have to attend the soonest seminar or can you prolong it?
I ask cause...I know I have a phone interview coming up in early Feb, and so far I see no postings for a seminar anytime soon. I'm assuming they could set one up in March, I plan to take a vacation during that time, so one Saturday out of the month..i'm screwed =(

Jojo
January 24th, 2011, 15:36
..hey, to any past Interac applicants who signed up for the fall intake, do you know when they held their seminars? Is it mandatory you have to attend the soonest seminar or can you prolong it?
I ask cause...I know I have a phone interview coming up in early Feb, and so far I see no postings for a seminar anytime soon. I'm assuming they could set one up in March, I plan to take a vacation during that time, so one Saturday out of the month..i'm screwed =(
are you talking about the induction training or the bi-yearly training? also due to the school year schedule unless you are recontracting you wont have any time for march holidays before school starts (i had about 12 days from when i got to japan to when school started)

Chelsums
January 24th, 2011, 16:54
Hello all~ I know you might not know me, but I thought I'd share anyways. I got my placement details a few days ago - a city called Hitachi. Does anyone know anything about this place? From what I've seen and read so far I'm really happy with their choice :)
I've only visited Hitachi once, but there's many ALTs there with both Interac and JET and others from the surrounding cities and towns tend to congregate there as well. From what I saw of the city, it's a really nice place and on the water too. I liked it a lot and all the other ALTs I met were really nice. I hope to make it back down there soon.

Koshka
January 24th, 2011, 17:53
I've only visited Hitachi once, but there's many ALTs there with both Interac and JET and others from the surrounding cities and towns tend to congregate there as well. From what I saw of the city, it's a really nice place and on the water too. I liked it a lot and all the other ALTs I met were really nice. I hope to make it back down there soon.

Ah lovely, thank you :)

Daddyatemyfries
January 25th, 2011, 04:40
are you talking about the induction training or the bi-yearly training? also due to the school year schedule unless you are recontracting you wont have any time for march holidays before school starts (i had about 12 days from when i got to japan to when school started)

I meant when they invite you to the interview seminar if you pass the phone screening.My phone screening will either be next week or the week after, but there are no interview seminar dates listed for February or March. So I was just wondering if it takes a month after the phone screening for them to set up an interview seminar date. And if worse case scenario, they arrange for it to occur on a date I am unavailable, if I can request to attend one at a later time or if I would be disqualified.

Jojo
January 25th, 2011, 07:34
I meant when they invite you to the interview seminar if you pass the phone screening.My phone screening will either be next week or the week after, but there are no interview seminar dates listed for February or March. So I was just wondering if it takes a month after the phone screening for them to set up an interview seminar date. And if worse case scenario, they arrange for it to occur on a date I am unavailable, if I can request to attend one at a later time or if I would be disqualified.ah ok - well i can only go by my expereince but the interview seminar was within a week of the phone interview (something short like that anyway ) I also couldn't attend the day they wanted so i had it a day later. I think they usually use a recruiter that travels around to multiple cities - so they are around for a few days then they move on.

Daddyatemyfries
January 25th, 2011, 07:43
okay, thanks for the info Jojo!! Thats good news to hear, so here's hoping they have it the seminars in FEB as well

-E-
January 25th, 2011, 14:15
congrads you silly french man!!

Assuming you're talking to me, I am but a silly American woman; I just play a Frenchman on TV. "Thpthpthp...!'

Sapporo, for me!

AnyaAway
January 25th, 2011, 14:29
I so envy you!!! I havent got my placement call yet but I am really hoping to go to Hitachi.

Jojo
January 25th, 2011, 15:33
okay, thanks for the info Jojo!! Thats good news to hear, so here's hoping they have it the seminars in FEB as well
no worries good luck;)

AnyaAway
January 26th, 2011, 10:16
Just got my placement call from Interac 2 minutes ago ... Its Miyagi.... sounds ultra-inaka ... i was kinda hoping for something a bit more semi-rural/suburban....
I'll do more online research and see if it is at all do-able....
(Kinda excited nonetheless!!!)

Daddyatemyfries
January 26th, 2011, 16:19
@Jojo: thank you
@Anya: My cousin was in Miyagi (sendai), I hope you enjoy your placement!

AnyaAway
January 27th, 2011, 07:13
@Jojo: thank you
@Anya: My cousin was in Miyagi (sendai), I hope you enjoy your placement!
Thanks a bunch, I hope so too .... I'll be in Higashimatsushima, which is not as bad as it sounds(LOL) since I'll have the savings of rural living, While all the big city amenities will be accessible in Sendai about 1 hour away....
(Yup, I've sold myself on the idea....hahaha).

PumpkinPie
February 3rd, 2011, 06:01
This might be a stupid question but I'm wondering if anyone could answer this for me: Do places like Interac/AEON etc. require you to already have your college degree when applying?

I'm only asking because JET accepts applicants while they are in in their last year of school, so long as they prove graduation date etc. But I suspect that you can only apply to most if not all of the other options once you have actually graduated and hold your degree. Is this true?

Thanks!

omg it's a bear
February 3rd, 2011, 06:05
Hey you guuuyyysss...
I have a question about the Interac application.

On the education and work history pages I noticed there are spaces for reference contact information... but it is not letting me type any info in. Is there something wrong with my browser or is that really supposed to be left blank?

Tyr
February 3rd, 2011, 06:32

Just read about that place the other day.

Update 3: Inspire the Next | Spike Japan (http://spikejapan.wordpress.com/postcards-from-oizumi/test/)

Sorry to be a downer. Still seems interesting.

Daddyatemyfries
February 3rd, 2011, 06:39
@Pie: I'm not sure either =/
@ bear: Did you click on the edit button on the top of your references?

omg it's a bear
February 3rd, 2011, 06:43
Derp, it's working now.
I had to go back to it... then the +add button finally lit up.

Daddyatemyfries
February 3rd, 2011, 06:47
there ya go!

Ame
February 3rd, 2011, 08:19
This might be a stupid question but I'm wondering if anyone could answer this for me: Do places like Interac/AEON etc. require you to already have your college degree when applying?

I'm only asking because JET accepts applicants while they are in in their last year of school, so long as they prove graduation date etc. But I suspect that you can only apply to most if not all of the other options once you have actually graduated and hold your degree. Is this true?

Thanks!

I only know for Interac. Maybe someone else can answer you regarding Aeon and other eikawas.

Nope,but you have to have your diploma by the time they send your documents to get our work visa. If you're interviewing now, I think the deadline is July 1st.

宇宙人侍
February 3rd, 2011, 17:33
Hey guys! Just applied to Interac today! Although, from what I'm reading it seems like they just got done picking the most recent batch of luck winners and Ill have to wait to August to find out if I get a job with them or not? Or are the phone/ in person interviews done ASAP and I just have to till August for the results and what not? Also, I wonder if it hurts my chances to apply the same day the JET results come in, kind of makes it obvious that Interac is a fall back >.<

宇宙人侍
February 3rd, 2011, 17:51
AH! I also just realized that while applying the application never asked me where I would want to have my group interview and what not. I also had the same issue with the references not letting me type inside of the boxes, but I figured they were not required or something and just moved on and sent it off...But I just sent an e-mail telling them I had an issue so now I'm hoping they will let me fix that part of my application.

Daddyatemyfries
February 4th, 2011, 01:17
@宇宙人侍 (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/members/a-a-ae-ae-.html)
I doubt they'd think that, a job is a job after all!!
Once you send off your application, I read you could always alter your references and contact information, so don't worry!! Just go back in and change it!!

宇宙人侍
February 4th, 2011, 15:34
wow! I just got an e-mail saying I passed the initial screening! I have to wait until March for phone interviews though! That was so fast! It makes me wonder, is there anyone who does not pass the initial screening?

Easy_money
February 4th, 2011, 18:30
Probably not. Maybe convicted pedophiles.

AnyaAway
February 4th, 2011, 19:37
Has anyone received their orientation date yet? I know Interac has started calling about them.

I was hoping that Interac would have arranged one or two massive orientations in Tokyo so that we could all meet and hang out a bit and thus afterward have friends all over Japan when we get ready to travel and explore .....

Ah well, i guess we will just have to wait to see how it all unfolds.....

A.

Ame
February 4th, 2011, 20:41
Yeah, it looks like each branch office has it's own orientation. I was hoping it would be one big meet and greet too... Boo.

AnyaAway
February 5th, 2011, 02:57
Japanese Language Class

I'm off to my first Japanese Class in 5 years!!! I was awesome at this class back then.... but now I realize that my competitive nature caused me to do well at it since the Sensei had the bright idea to offer prizes for top test scores..... This time round I have to learn this stuff for real and for keeps .... my knowledge is the prize!!

(Dont you just hate it when the wise, practical voice in the room is your own?!! lol I feel so old and wise like Yoda.... hahaha)

Onaka ga Peko Peko...
February 5th, 2011, 06:29
I'm going to be teaching in the Kansai area so I'll be at the Osaka orientation. Will anyone else be there as well?

Muffles
February 5th, 2011, 18:09
Hey guys, I was thinking of making a non-jet applicant list that includes all applications to other programmes apart from JET. I don't think it's fair that we have one but you don't, might also be handy for finding out who's going to be near you/numbers applying. What do you think?

edit: I've just checked and there's never been one of these so I hope it would be okay to make :s

Ame
February 5th, 2011, 18:36
I like the idea~! Especially since our branch offices hold different orientations depending on placement... The Internet may be the best place to connect with other ALTs not in our area~

On a side note, there's a facebook group for accepted Interac ALTs called Interac members 2011. Not sure if you need to be added by a member or you can join on your own, tho...

Muffles
February 5th, 2011, 18:44
Yay cool! Okay well i'll make it then :D

Ame
February 5th, 2011, 20:12
Yay cool! Okay well i'll make it then :D

Yay~!

ZeroX585
February 6th, 2011, 06:42
Due to JET rejection, I'm gonna try for Interac too. So I'll participate in the applicant list. I will probably finish up my application soon.

Also, for those who have done Interac, I received an email pertaining that the applications need to be filed in soon. I am curious if this for the March departure or the August departure....

I'll have to go for an August departure, but I'm not entirely sure when their cutoff for this is...

Ame
February 6th, 2011, 12:02
It's for the August departure... They've already got their ALTs for the spring semester all sorted... Or so I've been told. (^_^; )

ZeroX585
February 6th, 2011, 12:25
It's for the August departure... They've already got their ALTs for the spring semester all sorted... Or so I've been told. (^_^;)

eeek, I'd best get that application done then. Thanks for the heads up.

PumpkinPie
February 7th, 2011, 19:29
Due to JET rejection, I'm gonna try for Interac too. So I'll participate in the applicant list. I will probably finish up my application soon.

Also, for those who have done Interac, I received an email pertaining that the applications need to be filed in soon. I am curious if this for the March departure or the August departure....

I'll have to go for an August departure, but I'm not entirely sure when their cutoff for this is...

Did they not give any time frame for the cutoff or did they just say apply soon? I looked but couldn't find any info on the main site - I'm rather curious to find out just when they stop taking August departure applicants.

ZeroX585
February 7th, 2011, 21:45
Did they not give any time frame for the cutoff or did they just say apply soon? I looked but couldn't find any info on the main site - I'm rather curious to find out just when they stop taking August departure applicants.

Unfortunately, the email did not tell me an exact date. It only says 'recruiting soon, so finish your application, so you may be considered'. I'm just about done with it now. Hopefully I will not be too late.

Daddyatemyfries
February 8th, 2011, 06:00
I doubt it Zero, it seems they won't do phone screenings till late February or March. Their offices will also be closed between Feb 8-20,..so perhaps the seminars will take place in April.

ZeroX585
February 8th, 2011, 07:19
Alright, that should give me some time. I think I have the hard parts done already, (their version of SOP). Just need to get a picture, and rework my 'sop' a bit. I think I'll have it after that, hopefully....

At this point though, I think the sooner I get it in, the better.... Interac's feel to me seems quite a bit more laid back and 'professional' about the work compared to JET. This may be a good or bad thing.....

AnyaAway
February 8th, 2011, 12:35
Just got an email from Interac asking me to confirm my address for them to send me the CoE by courier as soon as it is ready.

At this point I feel like they are just sitting around or dragging their feet, while I'm watching airfares go up daily!!!

Minxie1418
February 9th, 2011, 03:34
So I submitted my Interac application. Hopefully a bunch of us JET rejects here will be going in August together. :)

Daddyatemyfries
February 9th, 2011, 03:52
g/l minxie!!

uthinkimlost?
February 9th, 2011, 03:59
Have you had your interview yet, daddy?

Daddyatemyfries
February 9th, 2011, 04:03
no not yet, they won't resume phone screenings till the end of February or March. My stalker skills led me to the site they use to book a phone interview appt and it shows that their office will be closed from today till the 20th of this month JET trained me so well for waiting lol
So yea...heads up to people waiting to get their apps screened, if you don't hear anything back asap..thats why.

Minxie1418
February 9th, 2011, 05:11
no not yet, they won't resume phone screenings till the end of February or March. My stalker skills led me to the site they use to book a phone interview appt and it shows that their office will be closed from today till the 20th of this month JET trained me so well for waiting lol
So yea...heads up to people waiting to get their apps screened, if you don't hear anything back asap..thats why.
Aw, man, and here I was hopeful that I might hear back fairly quickly (as was the case for several other people applying to Interac). :lol:

ZeroX585
February 9th, 2011, 07:13
Alright.... I just finished my application to Interac. I guess we'll see how it goes after this...

Minxie1418
February 9th, 2011, 10:35
I didn't have to wait long after all - just got an e-mail saying I passed initial screening and to expect the phone interview in March. :)

I'm curious - there was an attachment to the e-mail with a FAQ about Interac, and it says we should start getting a criminal background check early (since they take several weeks). Should I go ahead and order one for myself?

Daddyatemyfries
February 9th, 2011, 10:42
nm, sorry for causing worry!!http://www.laymark.com/i/m/m187.gif
Just didn't want people to get worried if the wait was too long

Hmm, well I guess so about the criminal background check *sighs* I rather do this if I *knew I was already hired...

ZeroX585
February 9th, 2011, 10:46
I didn't have to wait long after all - just got an e-mail saying I passed initial screening and to expect the phone interview in March. :)

I'm curious - there was an attachment to the e-mail with a FAQ about Interac, and it says we should start getting a criminal background check early (since they take several weeks). Should I go ahead and order one for myself?

Yep, I just got my initial screening pass as well.

I figure for the background checks.... may as well get them done as soon as possible. I figure it would be just one minor thing to get out of the way before the craziness ensues. I'll be doing mine soon.

Minxie1418
February 9th, 2011, 10:50
This is what it says:

We realize you might not be able to receive your CBC before the interview because of the time involved. In this case, we will send you a conditional offer if you are successful and have submitted all of your other visa documents (this is explained in detail at the seminar), but we reserve the right to not apply for your Certificate of Eligibility to enter Japan until we receive the criminal background check.So I guess you don't need to have one by the time of the interview but it probably helps if you do because it speeds things it up. I might as well go order mine (I'll likely use the company they suggested).

Edit: Oh wow, I just noticed that in the documents you eventually need to submit for visa sponsoring should include school information on your resume going all the way back to elementary/primary school. I can't even remember the name of my elementary school. :lol:

ZeroX585
February 9th, 2011, 10:52
Yes, I would figure the sooner the better. It can't hurt aside of the initial cost. And I figure finding your placement sooner for the sake of the plane ticket, would be a good thing.

The excitement is building, but I suppose I can't get too worked up until I have my placement in my hands.

宇宙人侍
February 10th, 2011, 17:01
Speaking of placement, is Interac like JET with locations all over the place or are there more area specific locations where most Interac ALT's go?

Shankerbelle
February 10th, 2011, 20:25
Phew, luckily they apply for that our CRB checks for us if we're successful.

As far as i know, kanji guy, theyre pretty spread out with locations. After all, they allow you pic any part of japan as a preference, and are somewhat better than JET at giving you what you ask for. I remember reading on another forum the Tokyo and Osaka branches are stricter than the others.

Daddyatemyfries
February 11th, 2011, 15:19
hey quick question. For you peeps that passed the initial screening..
did it say that you guys were considered for the Fall intake and that it started in September/October?
I was reading up trying to see if this is true, because I thought Interac people departed in August to start in sep...but now there's an Oct date?

Shankerbelle
February 11th, 2011, 17:33
They certainly said we would be leaving in august for the fall intake.

Daddyatemyfries
February 11th, 2011, 17:36
They certainly said we would be leaving in august for the fall intake.

hmm okay...thanks for the info sinderella.However, I still find it odd that my letter said September/October start date when I know people usually leave in August..so October seems weird...but given my current life incident..arriving in late September or October would be nice!!

Shankerbelle
February 11th, 2011, 18:53
hmm okay...thanks for the info sinderella.However, I still find it odd that my letter said September/October start date when I know people usually leave in August..so October seems weird...but given my current life incident..arriving in late September or October would be nice!!

Hmmm.... well looking at the documents i was sent on my interview email, the FAQ sheet says:

When can I start working as an ALT in Japan? We can offer two start dates: early April and early September (you would be required to travel to Japan in late March or late August to attend the orientation period). Positions will be for approximately eleven and seven months respectively. This is to coincide with the Japanese academic calendar. Please check our homepage for a detailed recruiting calendar and seminar dates and locations in your area.

Unless that's just UK, but the info is states specifics for each country in some parts, so I'm pretty sure that's universal

ZeroX585
February 11th, 2011, 21:43
Hmmm.... well looking at the documents i was sent on my interview email, the FAQ sheet says:

Unless that's just UK, but the info is states specifics for each country in some parts, so I'm pretty sure that's universal

Yes, this is the same thing that was mentioned on my FAQ list. I don't think its any different in other places. It is a possibility that they put in September, maybe due to someone not finishing their contract, or finishing it early. That way, you may end up taking their place.

Shankerbelle
February 12th, 2011, 02:46
I came across this time line that I thought I'd share.

It's a Brits experience, but I doubt it will differ very much for the US or anywhere else.

9th July 2009 - Online application to Interac
30th July 2009 - Phone screening interview with Maria from Interac Oxford
24th August 2009 - E-mail confirming I’d passed the phone screening
3rd September 2009 - E-mail inviting me to an interview in Oxford
10th September 2009 - Seminar, presentation and interview in Oxford
28th September 2009 - Phonecall and e-mail from Giorgio in Japan, to talk about opportunities in Spring 2010
16th October 2009 - Official offer of employment received by e-mail
19th October 2009 - Accepted the offer of employment
2nd November 2009 - Created an online resume
14th January 2010 - Interac lodged Certificate of Eligibility application
27th January 2010 - Phonecall from David in recruitment, offer of a placement in Sanjo, Niigata. Placement accepted.
28th January 2010 - Japanese profiency check phonecall
4th February 2010 - Phonecall from David in recruitment. Due to the ALT in Sanjo deciding to continue, was offered another placement in Agano, Niigata. Accepted the placement.
8th February 2010 - Certificate of Eligibility arrived from Japan
12th February 2010 - Departure date and training information received
15th February 2010 - Applied for Instructor Visa at Japanese embassy in London
19th February 2010 - Passport and visa received from Japanese embassy
16th March 2010 - Phonecall from David in recruitment, Interac didn’t win the contract with the BoE in Agano, and so I have a new placement in Joetsu city, Niigata prefecture.
18th March 2010 - Departure to Japan
19th March 2010 – Arrival in Japan
22nd March 2010~26th March 2010 - Training at the Narita View Hotel, Chiba prefecture. Placement changed back to Agano city, Niigata prefecture.
27th March 2010 - Left Chiba for Niigata with the other ALTs. Was met at Niigata station by my IC.
http://jennieinjapan.wordpress.com/timeline/

Unfortunately, things didn't work out so well for her :( BUT at least it gives us a realistic overview of things.

MJN
February 12th, 2011, 04:28
How long does the Interac application process take?

I'm a jet applicant, i'd obvious prefer to go with them, but I'm worried I cocked up my interview, but won't hear until April if I did. I'd still like to go to Japan for some ALT experience, and Interact was a second choice.

Is April too late to start applying for the summer intake [from the UK] or should I apply now? Keeping in mind, I can't leave before May-June~ish due to fishing university.

Shankerbelle
February 12th, 2011, 05:47
I have been told it won't be too late but bear in mind, there will be a lot more competition in april once results are out.

MJN
February 12th, 2011, 06:25
Might be wise if I get my Application in sometime within the next month, before April, and just decline the Interac position should I get accepted for both.

Best not to have all my eggs in one basket and all.

宇宙人侍
February 12th, 2011, 15:00
Just to double check, but in America the phone interviews that should take place next month will be for applicants leaving in late August, right? Also, any info on what questions are asked in the phone interview? And if I pass that, what locations in America are these information sessions?

ZeroX585
February 13th, 2011, 04:45
Just to double check, but in America the phone interviews that should take place next month will be for applicants leaving in late August, right? Also, any info on what questions are asked in the phone interview? And if I pass that, what locations in America are these information sessions?

Yes, the phone interviews pertain to people leaving this August.

I'm not entirely sure of the phone interview questions, but Interac stresses reading the FAQ (as you will be asked questions about it), and stuff like "Are you really prepared to work/live in Japan?".

I am not sure if you can choose a location before or after the phone interviews, but I am able to see a list of seminar locations. The locations according to the list I can view are (US and Canada):

Boston
Chicago
Cleveland
Dallas
Denver
Honolulu
Houston
Los Angeles
Nashville
New York
Orlando
Phoenix
Portland
Washington
Provo
San Fransisco
Seattle
Spokane
Toronto
Vancouver

They let me choose a date and time for it, but I think this may change after the phone interview has been passed. I believe I also read from Interac that their seminars are going to be held on a Saturday.

Heathathon
February 14th, 2011, 13:06
I'm a Spring 2011 ALT, and I still haven't heard anything about placement yet... I got the confirmation of address since they lodged my COE, but no word on placement... I am sure they will call soon, but tickets are getting so expensive... So they won't tell me about orientation until a few days after the placement call, or... how does that work?

AnyaAway
February 15th, 2011, 00:56
I'm a Spring 2011 ALT, and I still haven't heard anything about placement yet... I got the confirmation of address since they lodged my COE, but no word on placement... I am sure they will call soon, but tickets are getting so expensive... So they won't tell me about orientation until a few days after the placement call, or... how does that work?

Hi Heathathon

I know quite a few people who are also in your situation with no placement call ... I really dont think you should be too stressed about it. I have had my placement since mid-january but they still have not told me anything about orientation....
You may not want to hear this but I think you are in a better position than me since you are still thinking generally about where you would like to go and it seems very UNLIKELY that when they finally place you that it will change. I saw on another discussion forum where one ALT's placement was changed to a completely different setting just a few hours ago. If they did that to me I will be completely screwed!!!! Since they told me of my town, I've made all kinds of arrangements and plans and to change them at this stage will be a big mess!!! (Yes, I'm panicking!!! ... lol)

The airfare is another source of concern for me too. Over the past 3 weeks I've seen the fares for my travel go up by about US$300!!!! Anyway, someone sent me this link for good airfares, so check it out....
| From Tokyo | Overseas airline ticket and tour | IACE travel (http://www.iace.co.jp/english/tokyo/)
I havent looked at it yet .... I am not looking at anything else until Interac gives me orientation dates and location ... I'm refusing to stress about this anymore!!!

They will probably call soon.... But Its possible that you could get the orientation dates without getting a confirmed placement ... I have heard of people flying over to Japan as kind of 'alternates' and they are placed during or after orientation. I have NOT heard of anyone having a completely bad time when this happens .... It seems that they end up glad to have seen different parts of Japan....

I guess I'm saying
*you are not alone in your situation
*keep your eyes open but dont be in a panic
*read all that damn paperwork they send ( I'm discovering all kinds of stuff!!)
*keep yourself flexible/open to the placements that they will eventually offer.
*start wrapping up other stuff (like visas to other countries-I need one for China; omiyage; yen in cash; etc....)

Cheers
Anya

ZeroX585
February 15th, 2011, 07:01
Check your emails, for those on Interac. It seems I have been able to schedule my phone interview..... it begins....

Daddyatemyfries
February 15th, 2011, 08:42
yeah...I noticed it when I just checked my email at work.
Umm..is this a generic email statement about how there will be less hires for the fall intake?!

"2) Be flexible with location. There is an overwhelming amount of applications this season. We are only going to be inviting those who are truly flexible with their location preferences and can go anywhere throughout Japan whether it be urban, rural, or even an isolated placement. This will be a large determining factor on whether or not you are invited to the seminar. You must really ask yourself if you are mature enough, flexible enough, and prepared to take ANY assignment that is available."

Hmm.....I wonder why.......*eyes JET so hard right now* Puta...
But good to know they want people to start from August through December!! I think I'll schedule my interview for next week..since I do want to be on a land line, my cellphone reception sucks XD

oh and goodluck everyone!!

Ame
February 15th, 2011, 09:15
That looks like the standard e-mail that I got last year... I think they state it that way to encourage people to be flexible.

I think I heard that Interac's big hiring season is for March and they do a less intense one for September.

EMTQueen
February 15th, 2011, 15:07
Just scheduled my phone screening for next Tuesday. I have my ECC interview in Toronto on March 3rd. Interac is really my backup because I would prefer ECC.

K-On!
February 15th, 2011, 15:24
Don't worry too much if you don't have your placement info since there are still a lot of people that they don't know if they will be staying on or not!:kaos_chirol_as: They haven't even asked us yet if we plan to recontract this year except for the mid-year survey which doesn't mean anything. They usually talk to us around late-Feb to mid-March, so after that I'm sure most of you will know! :kaos_chirol_bak1:

Heathathon
February 16th, 2011, 10:06
Haha, thanks K-On and Anya... Anyways, I got my placement call yesterday... It is Yachimata in Chiba. Pretty nice. I have to drive of course, but that's fine. At least I'll have a car to pick up bed stuff for someone my height =P... So there isn't too much info that I can find about Yachimata, except for its population and the fact that it is famous for peanuts haha... Anyone know anything?

AnyaAway
February 16th, 2011, 10:25
Haha, thanks K-On and Anya... Anyways, I got my placement call yesterday... It is Yachimata in Chiba. Pretty nice. I have to drive of course, but that's fine. At least I'll have a car to pick up bed stuff for someone my height =P... So there isn't too much info that I can find about Yachimata, except for its population and the fact that it is famous for peanuts haha... Anyone know anything?

Famous for Peanuts?!! In Japan?!!! ...... Who would have thought....... hahaha

Congrats and have fun...
Anya

AnyaAway
February 17th, 2011, 00:07
Got my Orientation dates and Location .... .March 22nd in Narita ... Finally!!!!

Daddyatemyfries
February 17th, 2011, 03:28
wow..nearly almost a month away!!
And finally..someone with a rural placement. I keep hearing people get cities..I was starting to think rural placements were a myth

人工知能
February 19th, 2011, 14:04
I got a city too. Toyama, arriving on the 22nd as well.

The 49er
February 20th, 2011, 02:55
I have received my placement,(Hamamatsu Shi, Shizuoka Ken) and my COE is on its way. I get it on Tuesday. All I need to know is where and when the training will take place. Does anyone know when training starts?

AnyaAway
February 21st, 2011, 23:26
My worst worry ...... My placement was changed!!!! These *&!!*#@ told me that the placement was confirmed!! Does "confirmed" translate differently from English to Japanese!!!!!!! One day after I officially quit my job & Three weeks before I board a plane for Japan, changes are being made!!!!! I had just stared telling my friends and family where I'll be posted..... GRRRRR............

Jennie
February 21st, 2011, 23:36
Hi everyone, I'm the girl who posted the Interac timeline, someone linked to my blog :)

AnyaAway, my placement was changed 4 times... 3 times before I arrived in Japan and then once again when I was at training. This happened with a few people (apparently I broke the record) so try not to get too attached to anywhere!

Shankerbelle
February 22nd, 2011, 00:18
Hi everyone, I'm the girl who posted the Interac timeline, someone linked to my blog :)

AnyaAway, my placement was changed 4 times... 3 times before I arrived in Japan and then once again when I was at training. This happened with a few people (apparently I broke the record) so try not to get too attached to anywhere!

Thanks for coming in!

I was just thinking, is anyone here getting their accommodation privately? Do interac take this into account when changing you placements? As i really cant see how they could.

(especially if you are moved because they lose a contract of some such)

AnyaAway
February 23rd, 2011, 22:48

Hey Jennie

My friend is now at change number four and we still have a month before we get to Japan!! I suspect that she will have at least two more ....
I'll let you know when she breaks your record and by how many changes... lol

Tyr
February 24th, 2011, 00:04
I'm unsure about this rural placement stuff, I suspect its a trap, they trick people into thinking that's all they can ever get and so get them to accept it.

PumpkinPie
February 24th, 2011, 01:37
I'm curious of what you all think in response to the question: "Do you have teaching experience?" when you really don't.

Is it better to kind of hedge around it and say: "While I don't have formal/classroom training, my experience in X,Y,Z has..." or to come right out and say: "No, I don't". The first answer seems best because it's seeing the positives in an otherwise negative quality, but on the other hand, it could be stretching it and come across as dishonest/arrogant, in which case it might just be better to be brutally honest. Thoughts?

Shankerbelle
February 24th, 2011, 01:50
Definitely go with the "X, Y, Z" scenario. As there is always something you can some how creatively link to teaching in one way or another.

At the end of the day, they dont expect all applicants to be teachers in training, but I'm sure having the skills needed to be able to teach/learn to teach in a short time are greatly desired.

EMTQueen
February 24th, 2011, 03:57
I went with the "I don't have any formal classroom experience, but my experience in X, Y, Z," scenario because it's the truth, just an element or two was embellished to sound more appealing.

PumpkinPie
February 24th, 2011, 08:11
Thanks for the responses - I have another question (sorry!)

After you submit your application do you request a seminar date, or do you wait for them to tell you that you passed the initial screening? Do they just phone you at a random time?

Thanks again!

EMTQueen
February 24th, 2011, 15:20
In my case, I put down my seminar location after submitting the application because the seminar tab opens up once you do. Shortly after submitting my application, I got an email from Interac saying I passed the initial screening and requested that I set up an appointment for the phone interview (I picked 2/22/11 at 3:30pm EST). The times are in MST, so you'll have to adjust for your time zone. The interviewer (I had Sarah Pennepacker) called me almost right on time and the phone screening was about 10-15 minutes long. She just asked basic questions: verifying some information, did I ever study or travel abroad, why do I want to return to Japan, have I had any formal or informal experience teaching, have I worked with children, would I mind working with children, what are my placement preferences, and do I have any problems with a possible rural placement. Then she told me that I passed the screening and invited me to a seminar to be held in either April or May, depending, and asked what my seminar location preference was.

It wasn't too bad. I passed the screening despite stumbling through some answers, so take that as you will.

Jennie
February 24th, 2011, 23:05
My phone screening came completely out of the blue.

I made the application and a few weeks later got a phone call that woke me up out of an afternoon nap! I had no idea that it was coming, she asked a few questions that you'd expect, really. Why Japan, why teaching, have you ever worked in teaching/with children, would you mind being flexible...

The lady at Interac in the UK was nice, if I can stumble through it half asleep when not expecting a call, I'm sure it won't be a problem :)

ZeroX585
February 25th, 2011, 05:29
I just had my phone interview today. It was around 10 minutes long, and not really too bad. IIRC, the questions asked were along the lines of "Have you ever lived in a foreign country before?, How did you manage? How is your teaching experience?" Usual fare I suppose.

And I passed it with no problem...... So, what I did find interesting is that they are going to give you information about the seminar via email, AND information about the demo lesson you must give. I also asked my interviewer about it, and he told me the lesson demo is now 6 minutes, (for U. S.), instead of 5. So just in case you needed to know that, there you go.

I was unfortunately not given a timeframe about the seminar, but they will send me that info soon.

Here we go ladies and gentlemen; JET rejects are given a second chance!

Good luck.

Minxie1418
February 25th, 2011, 05:36
I just had my phone interview today. It was around 10 minutes long, and not really too bad. IIRC, the questions asked were along the lines of "Have you ever lived in a foreign country before?, How did you manage? How is your teaching experience?" Usual fare I suppose.

And I passed it with no problem...... So, what I did find interesting is that they are going to give you information about the seminar via email, AND information about the demo lesson you must give. I also asked my interviewer about it, and he told me the lesson demo is now 6 minutes, (for U. S.), instead of 5. So just in case you needed to know that, there you go.

I was unfortunately not given a timeframe about the seminar, but they will send me that info soon.

Here we go ladies and gentlemen; JET rejects are given a second chance!

Good luck.
Have you gotten that e-mail yet? I'm still waiting for it...

ZeroX585
February 25th, 2011, 05:37
Have you gotten that e-mail yet? I'm still waiting for it...

I have not. I figure maybe give it a day or two from when the interview happened. Either way... may be a good time to start preparing for that lesson demo.... somehow.....

Minxie1418
February 25th, 2011, 05:46
I have not. I figure maybe give it a day or two from when the interview happened. Either way... may be a good time to start preparing for that lesson demo.... somehow.....
It's been a week since my phone interview. :( I dunno if that means there was a mix up or if they're still waiting to hear back from my references or something...

ZeroX585
February 25th, 2011, 06:54
It's been a week since my phone interview. :( I dunno if that means there was a mix up or if they're still waiting to hear back from my references or something...

So I found these:

Interac N. America (http://www.interacphonescreen.com/teachingdemo/)

http://www.interacphonescreen.com/teachingdemo/demo_lesson_guide.pdf

Looks like these will be the guiding materials for the presentation.

PumpkinPie
February 25th, 2011, 18:50
In my case, I put down my seminar location after submitting the application because the seminar tab opens up once you do. Shortly after submitting my application, I got an email from Interac saying I passed the initial screening and requested that I set up an appointment for the phone interview (I picked 2/22/11 at 3:30pm EST). The times are in MST, so you'll have to adjust for your time zone. The interviewer (I had Sarah Pennepacker) called me almost right on time and the phone screening was about 10-15 minutes long. She just asked basic questions: verifying some information, did I ever study or travel abroad, why do I want to return to Japan, have I had any formal or informal experience teaching, have I worked with children, would I mind working with children, what are my placement preferences, and do I have any problems with a possible rural placement. Then she told me that I passed the screening and invited me to a seminar to be held in either April or May, depending, and asked what my seminar location preference was.

It wasn't too bad. I passed the screening despite stumbling through some answers, so take that as you will.

I appreciate the detailed response, thank you.

I submitted my application on Wednesday and haven't heard anything yet, is this bad news :confused:

Edit: Found out I made the phone interview earlier, woot

Shankerbelle
February 26th, 2011, 09:38
Haha good stuff! You can stress a little less now. The email they send should have all the info you need and more to do well :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Tyr
February 26th, 2011, 21:23
They're asking a lot with this lesson prep stuff...anyone know any cheats? :P

Jojo
February 27th, 2011, 10:58
They're asking a lot with this lesson prep stuff...anyone know any cheats? :P
you do realize your applying for a job right?

Daddyatemyfries
February 27th, 2011, 15:52
So I found these:

GOT DAMN! You're good to have googled this stuff! And I thought I was bad when I found the phonebook screening website before the emailed it to me XD

Tyr
February 28th, 2011, 00:29
you do realize your applying for a job right?
Yeah, and?

MJN
March 1st, 2011, 12:16
So I found these:

Oh wow, these links are pretty good.

You have any idea is these are accurate for the UK seminal/demo lessons?

Jojo
March 1st, 2011, 14:30
Yeah, and?
and would you like someone to also do the interview for you too? i mean im sure people will give advice if you have made some effort but yeah.. considering your being asked to do something that is going to be part of your daily job ... complaining that its all too much makes me wonder why your applying

Shankerbelle
March 1st, 2011, 15:33
Oh wow, these links are pretty good.

You have any idea is these are accurate for the UK seminal/demo lessons?

They're exactly the same :) they should send these to you with the confirmation email.

Minxie1418
March 3rd, 2011, 06:22
So just in case anyone else was in the same boat as me... If you haven't heard back by e-mail after your interview it's possible they overlooked it like for me. :) I finally e-mailed them about not having heard back, and there was in fact a mix-up. Jason sent me all the info I need, including the presentation info as well the list of documents they need and how to send them.

Shankerbelle
March 3rd, 2011, 19:12
So just in case anyone else was in the same boat as me... If you haven't heard back by e-mail after your interview it's possible they overlooked it like for me. :) I finally e-mailed them about not having heard back, and there was in fact a mix-up. Jason sent me all the info I need, including the presentation info as well the list of documents they need and how to send them.

Yes, I've noticed they seem to "forget" to update you on things...

Tyr
March 6th, 2011, 06:10
and would you like someone to also do the interview for you too? i mean im sure people will give advice if you have made some effort but yeah.. considering your being asked to do something that is going to be part of your daily job ... complaining that its all too much makes me wonder why your applying
I'm not complaining, I'm observing.
Yeah, I'd love it if someone else would do my interview for me. Not an option though.
And you really expect me to post what I've come up with so far on a well known public forum? Yeah...that would really help with getting the job wouldn't it. No harm asking for any intel that happens to be on the web. Quite the opposite.

Jojo
March 6th, 2011, 21:01
I'm not complaining, I'm observing.
Yeah, I'd love it if someone else would do my interview for me. Not an option though.
And you really expect me to post what I've come up with so far on a well known public forum? Yeah...that would really help with getting the job wouldn't it. No harm asking for any intel that happens to be on the web. Quite the opposite.
There is no harm in posting your ideas (or problems) - quite the opposite. There are plenty of experienced people who could help you but vague questions ... :roll: The fact that Interac give you quite specific instructions is an advantage in that most applicants are working from the same page and you don't have to worry to much about what you are presenting (no one is going to steal your great ideas from talking about them and you wont single yourself out to an interviewer - i would be shocked if they read this site)...this is purely an example to show some flair and your personality and maybe even some originality in how you do your demo.. if you want some more specific help about the demo lesson your going to have to be a bit more specific with your questions ;)

Kapparin
March 15th, 2011, 13:09
I passed my phone screening back in late February and will be attending the seminar in Chicago "sometime in April." I was told that I would get an email as soon as they knew the information as far as the day/time of the personal interview, but given that I know they sometimes simply forget to email you--or there is a mix-up--I was thinking I'd drop in here and ask... Anyone else interviewing for the August departure who has yet to attend a seminar and has yet to receive solid information? Or should I be checking in with them to get information they may have not sent me?

Minxie1418
March 15th, 2011, 20:35
I passed my phone screening back in late February and will be attending the seminar in Chicago "sometime in April." I was told that I would get an email as soon as they knew the information as far as the day/time of the personal interview, but given that I know they sometimes simply forget to email you--or there is a mix-up--I was thinking I'd drop in here and ask... Anyone else interviewing for the August departure who has yet to attend a seminar and has yet to receive solid information? Or should I be checking in with them to get information they may have not sent me?
I'm also still waiting to hear about the April seminar. For now I've just sent them all the necessary Visa documents they asked for.

ZeroX585
March 16th, 2011, 00:12
Yep, I am still waiting as well. I figure it would be a good time to double check any documents that are still missing, and practice that demo lesson.

Kapparin
March 16th, 2011, 01:58
Did either of you guys run into a problem with the passport photos they asked for? I've been putting together my documents to send to them as well and ran into an issue there. Went to both Walgreen's and Fedex Kinko's and looked through all the sizes they had for passport photos and none of them matched the 1.2 x 1.6 in requirement that came on the information they sent. What did you guys do? I emailed Jason to ask what to do, but he hasn't responded as I'm certain he and everyone else at Interac right now are busy dealing with the unfortunate events happening in Japan right now.

I'm a graphic designer, so really I could just take the ones I got, size them down in Photoshop, and print them on my photo paper, though. But it seems silly that they said to go to either of those places and neither would print them in the right size. Walgreen's didn't even show any standards for Asia, all of them were for Europe and NA.

ZeroX585
March 16th, 2011, 02:03
I haven't done the photos yet, but this is interesting to know. I figure if they are the 'standard passport size' that Interac asks for, the 2" x 2" should be fine, but that is a good thing you are asking.

Yeah.... I am honestly very curious to see how the quake/tsunami is going to affect these jobs...... I can't foresee it being too much of a problem overall, but I can see if affecting job locations and living locations. I'd be curious to see what you all think.

Kapparin
March 16th, 2011, 02:21
Yeah, I got 4 which were 2x2 and two which were a bit larger from the kind man at Kinko's who really only wanted to help. Took them because he didn't even make me pay for them because they weren't in the right size. Worst case scenario I can size them down and reprint myself but I feel like there must be SOME place that does these things that's correct. Getting photos for a visa for Japan can't be THAT uncommon.

I'll let you know what Jason says when he gets back to me.

As far as the quake/tsunami affecting things, apparently Interac told the Spring arrivals who were supposed to fly out this week and on that they should still come. I've been keeping up with things by spying around the FB group for 2011 members... We'll see what happens, but it seems like although there will be less placements for a while, they still want the people whom they've already hired. A lot of areas of Japan where ALTs live and work are unaffected.

Tyr
March 16th, 2011, 07:53
Had the interac 'interview' today.
There wasn't an interview at all, odd, just filled in interview questions on a bit of paper and did the demo lesson; which I muffed up a bit but...meh. Was told it was OK, bare in mind with the lesson its just doing it for an imaginary class, no recruiters filling in for students.

Kapparin
March 16th, 2011, 09:42
Good to hear your experience, Tyr. That's curious about the interview... I knew the rest of the stuff that was required, but there was really no "interview" section? I've heard from others that that's the longest part apart from the presentation about Interac and who they are. You had none of the normal grammar/personality test either?

On the passport photo question, I got an email from Sara as thanks for uploading my files and thought I'd give a shot at it and ask her about the photos. She responded back within a few hours and said that many of the photos they get are actually 2 x 2 and they are used to cutting them down in the office. She said that as long as there is enough head space on the images to crop them, they will be fine!

ZeroX585
March 16th, 2011, 09:46
That's awesome to know, I'll keep that in mind.

Now... just gotta finish my document preparation and smooth out my demo lesson....

earth
March 16th, 2011, 13:20
-

earth
March 16th, 2011, 13:20
Had the interac 'interview' today.
There wasn't an interview at all, odd, just filled in interview questions on a bit of paper and did the demo lesson; which I muffed up a bit but...meh. Was told it was OK, bare in mind with the lesson its just doing it for an imaginary class, no recruiters filling in for students.

Did they mention the tsunami disaster at all?

Muffles
March 16th, 2011, 17:48
yeh it seems like interac is definitely going on.

Tyr
March 16th, 2011, 20:20
Did they mention the tsunami disaster at all? Yeah, everyone is accounted for.
They're even sending new people out this week on schedule.

Good to hear your experience, Tyr. That's curious about the interview... I knew the rest of the stuff that was required, but there was really no "interview" section? I've heard from others that that's the longest part apart from the presentation about Interac and who they are. You had none of the normal grammar/personality test either?

Yeah, I had the grammar and personality test.
But interview...hard to see how it could be done. Only one recruiter and lots of people. And apaprently my group was rather small.
My guess is they'll phone me sometime in the future and ask about any concerns that may have arose from the paper interview (providing I pass the other stuff).

earth
March 20th, 2011, 01:42
Wow,it's pretty unnerving that interac doesn't seem to be too phased by the tragedy. You think they would at least delay interviews out of respect.

Kapparin
March 20th, 2011, 02:31
I think they were phased for sure by it as anyone would be, but they're also a business and need to run on some kind of a schedule. The people they sent out to Japan or are sending out now have had plane tickets bought for a while and it happened only a few days to a week before some people flew out. They moved their training to Osaka and are paying to shinkansen everyone who can't switch their flight away from Narita down there. I don't think it's a lack of respect, but that it would be extremely costly to the people who were planning on coming to switch around the training and whatnot. They did, however, offer that anyone who wanted to could defer their placement to August.

As far as interviews, those were also probably already planned. The Chicago one I'm going to is at the end of next month and we just got the information on it, which is quite a while off. I don't find anything unnerving about how they're handling things at all. They made it their first priority to find all their ALTs--and they successfully did, everyone is confirmed safe--and then dealt with the things they had scheduled as well as they could in a way that put the people working for them first. Honestly, the way I've seen them handle this has made me more confident in the company rather than less. Maybe they're not doing a huge respect to Japan, but they are definitely looking out for what's going to be best and easiest for the ALTs working for them and those who are going to be interviewing.

earth
March 20th, 2011, 03:55
good point

Easy_money
March 20th, 2011, 17:53
Wow,it's pretty unnerving that interac doesn't seem to be too phased by the tragedy. You think they would at least delay interviews out of respect.

:rolleyes:

Jamgirl
March 29th, 2011, 00:52
has anyone heard from Interac regarding interviews? I did my phone interview back in the early part of March. Its quite understandable that there will be some delays considering the earthquake and tsunami. I have not submitted my pictures or transcript has yet. Just wondering if interviews begun anywhere

Shankerbelle
March 29th, 2011, 01:00
Are you based in Jamaica? I know some UK ones happened last week, and that US have been given some dates for April interviews and so on...

Jamgirl
March 29th, 2011, 13:08
I'm actually based in Jamaica. I have submitted most of the documents but i'm waiting until i hear back from them regarding the seminar. I'm a bit anxious. I'm a Jet reject as well lol

sashwizzled
March 29th, 2011, 19:17
I had my seminar on the 14th - I had the phone call a week before that (got the invitation the same day), and my application went in between a week and two weeks before that. Yeah, I imagine now that there'll be delays because of the tsunami, but I guess in my case since there was only a weekend between the tsunami and the seminar, mine went ahead anyway?

I'm a little nervous, actually - I didn't get a proper interview because they were busy with post-tsunami contacting Japan - which is obviously totally understandable - and apparently my file's already in Tokyo... I dunno if it's a good thing or a bad thing that they didn't feel I needed an indepth interview beyond the phone call. :confused:

Jamgirl
March 29th, 2011, 20:29
I know there will be delays considering all that's happening but does anyone think i should just go ahead and send them my picture and transcript? That's all that's outstanding right now

Jamgirl
March 29th, 2011, 20:53
Well I just checked there website and they actually put up dates for all the regions except the Caribbean. Should I email them. I'm getting anxious

amz_harajuku
March 30th, 2011, 12:21
Well I just checked there website and they actually put up dates for all the regions except the Caribbean. Should I email them. I'm getting anxious

JamGirl have u been accepted for the Sept batch already? I'm from Jamaica too and they sent me an email today saying that I had passed the initial screening process but their Sept batch is full (i'm guessing lots of ppl deferred after the earthquake), the email also said that the nxt seminar would be in August.

Jamgirl
March 30th, 2011, 13:25
They said the next seminar would be in August! I have actually done the phone interview for departure date in August so i'm waiting on word for the seminar. i applied from Nov last yr. When did u apply? @ Amz

amz_harajuku
March 31st, 2011, 00:22
I just applied, like prolly 3 weeks ago ... here's a part of the email

Dear Amoy,

Thank you very much for your application for an Assistant Language Teaching (ALT) position with Interac. Unfortunately, our recruitment season, for our September start date in Japan, has come to a close. We will however start recruiting again in August 2011 for an April 2012 start date.

You have successfully passed the initial resume screening. The next stage in the application process is to perform a phone screening with a member of our recruitment team. We will start our phone screenings in August 2011.

I dunno if this applies to those who have already done a phone screening, send Jason an email and lemme know.

Jamgirl
March 31st, 2011, 01:26
I sent him an email last night. Just awaiting the response. I have already done the phone screening for September start date which i passed. I was a bit panicky when u said the seminar was in aug. Thanks for sending me the email. It actually cleared up my confusion. I guess I just to sit and patiently wait for the seminar date. So excited! I just want to hurry and get this over with

Jamgirl
March 31st, 2011, 01:26
I sent him an email last night. Just awaiting the response. I have already done the phone screening for September start date which i passed. I was a bit panicky when u said the seminar was in aug. Thanks for sending me the email. It actually cleared up my confusion. I guess I just to sit and patiently wait for the seminar date. So excited! I just want to hurry and get this over with

SOFFet713
April 20th, 2011, 03:02
Wow, I'm really surprised to read that so many people have had issues receiving information from Interac about interviews. I was contacted 2 days after applying about a phone screening, and within two weeks after the phone screening I was emailed two or three times and called twice regarding a seminar date & time. :/ For me they've been really on top of things. Granted, I haven't heard from them since confirming my seminar/interview date, but I've also been really busy with school so I'm not too concerned about it. I guess my only question is, does anyone know if there are any documents that we specifically HAVE TO submit before the seminar? Or can we just take them with us and submit them during the interview? :p

Jamgirl
April 20th, 2011, 03:41
u have the option of taking in the documents at the interview. Its should have been one of the options in the email regarding how documents can be sent. if ur interview is soon then u can just take them in. this from the email i was sent after my phone interview:

"For now we need you to gather the required documents and send them to us using one of the following methods listed below:

-Upload documents to Interac Document Upload (http://interacphonescreen.com/upload.html)
-E-mail documents to documents@selnaterecruiting.com (documents@selnate.com)
-Mail documents to our office
-Submit any outstanding documents to your recruiter on the day of your interview."

SOFFet713
April 20th, 2011, 04:12
Jamgirl, thanks! Yea, I read that in my email as well...I guess I'm just wondering if all documents qualify to be submitted as "outstanding" or if they want any of them right away. :p

Jamgirl
April 20th, 2011, 04:17
The only thing that they accept by mail is the pics and the transcript/status letter. I emailed the other documents and sent those by mail.U can email what needs to be emailed and take in the rest

SOFFet713
April 20th, 2011, 04:34
K, awesome, thank you for the advice!:D

oneokbunny
April 20th, 2011, 04:56
the recruiter in charge of your seminar site will end up with everything. They have to collect all the documents and their notes about you from the seminar and send that in. It's better to have all you can turned in early that way if something is wrong you know about it. For example my passport photos weren't good as i cut them myself and messed up I guess so I had to get another set of passport photos to bring to the seminar.

Oh also this goes for your references as well! They need to be done by the time of the seminar so if you don't know if two of your references are in I'd ask the recruiter or you references about it.

When is your seminar?

SOFFet713
April 20th, 2011, 08:20
OK...I will be trying to get as many of the documents together as I can by the end of next week, thank you for the advice! *(^_^)*

As for my references, I know for a fact that three of them have already replied to the Interac email, so that should be fine. :)

My seminar will be on May 21st in Chicago :p

jd111
April 30th, 2011, 06:16
HI guys, i got my phone interview yesterday, totally unexpected! i passed and have an interview next week in dublin
its a bit short notice, and im completely unprepared, im also doing my final year exams the following week.

can i ask, I havent graduated yet, and the lady doing the phone interview knew this, i wont complete college till mid may, and ill get my results in june, but they are talking about possibly going to japan for the 18th of june.

am i going to be rejected at the interview because of this?

thanks, John

disguisedrobot
May 1st, 2011, 06:21
I doubt they'll reject you because of that, you'll just be put onto the August intake if they don't think they can process your application on time.

Minxie1418
May 1st, 2011, 06:31
Had my seminar/interview today! It seems to have gone well. I made sure to be 'genki' for my self-introduction and demo lesson and my only mistake was going over the time limit (so my video was cut off abruptly). My interviewer said I otherwise did great and she would recommend me. :D
Now it's time to wait again...

jd111
May 1st, 2011, 07:35
I doubt they'll reject you because of that, you'll just be put onto the August intake if they don't think they can process your application on time.

yeh, having done a bit of hectic searching i think that could be a possibility

thanks for your replies! put me at ease earlier!

i wasnt expecting the phone call at all, ive got my finals next week and ive to prepare for this, dang!

disguisedrobot
May 3rd, 2011, 08:00
No worries, good luck to you both!

I was completely thrown off with the phone call. "..just calling to confirm some details.." Riiiiiight! After a few confirmations it turned into a phone interview. I completely wasn't ready for one but I must have did alright because I got an interview.

MrMagpie
May 3rd, 2011, 12:19
I have a question for anyone that has completed their final interview/teaching demo - as far as the time limits go on each part of the teaching demonstration, do they stop you in between each one to let you know time is up and allow you to gather your props for the next portion of the demo, or is it just a straight six minutes timed with some sort of clock?

Minxie1418
May 3rd, 2011, 12:25
I have a question for anyone that has completed their final interview/teaching demo - as far as the time limits go on each part of the teaching demonstration, do they stop you in between each one to let you know time is up and allow you to gather your props for the next portion of the demo, or is it just a straight six minutes timed with some sort of clock?
For me it was just a straight six minutes. I actually spent too long on my warm up activity accidentally so I was pressed for time in the last activity. :redface: The only cue I got was that I had 1 minute left to finish. You should have all your props, materials, etc out and within reach so you're not shuffling around for anything in a bag while filming (a girl at my seminar told me this happened to her).
Also, make sure you bring your own copy of that paragraph you're supposed to read (about Interac). I only brought one by chance which was lucky because my interviewer didn't give have a copy for me to read instead.

MrMagpie
May 3rd, 2011, 12:58
Thanks a lot for the quick response, Minxie1418! Hopefully it isn't too cumbersome to carry all of my materials around during the first part of the day...

disguisedrobot
May 4th, 2011, 02:55
For the UK seminar, we could set up between each task because the video recording would be paused to allow this. Recording would stop after you finish, but you get told if you run over by a lot.

jd111
May 6th, 2011, 23:25
Had my interview this morning! I think it went pretty well!
Only 2 people turned up for it, there were supposed to be 8!
Did my presentation, a little rushed for my intro but the interviewer let me do it again. She also let me record a little bit extra at her suggestion to be edited into the start of task 4! (pretty nice of her!)

I asked about my graduation issue. She said that since they are looking to hire people ASAP they have a different offer in place where you go on a working visa initially. Then convert to an instructors visa once you are graduated.

So, fingers crossed! Thanks for all the help!

disguisedrobot
May 7th, 2011, 00:11
Huzzah! I'm in!

Strange to hear such a high percentage of no shows. Good luck jd!

oneokbunny
May 7th, 2011, 00:59
Huzzah! I'm in!
Strange to hear such a high percentage of no shows. Good luck jd!

Congrats!!! I got the Offer of Employment as well! Maybe I'll see you at Training! ^-^

Good luck JD!

jd111
May 7th, 2011, 01:35
Congratulations guys! Will you be going in June?
I'm only slightly nervous as the interviewer (Hilary from the uk?) didn't fill
Me with confidence at the end of the interview! She was kind of reserved when saying well done and you should know within a week etc! But she was kind of like that during the day, even when making jokes...

Just wondering. Are you guys signing up for a special deal? They will be paying fr my flights and there is a sign on bonus apparently?

disguisedrobot
May 7th, 2011, 06:18
Thank ye, thank ye!

Congrats bunny! I'm on the June departue, are you on that one too?

I'm sure you'll be fine jd. My interview was only 10min long so they had to rely heavily on my video demo and how I was in the conference room. Thinking back, my interview questions sheet had a lot of hastily scrawled answers on it. It was real scruffy and lots of crossings out! I didn't stick my hand up to ask questions, I just threw them out and I kinda talked over another applicant when they were talking to Hilary. Must have looked real bad. In my defence there was a pause and I thought they finished talking so I jumped in, but several words in the other guy carried on talking again. I was in mid-flow and didn't stop! As long as you were giddy all through the seminar and gave good answers then I'm sure you'll be alright.

As I'm leaving in June, I'm on their "special package". You get flights paid for, start up costs, a sign up bonus and rent paid (up to a certain amount). However, your pay will be significantly less. It kinda works out to be about the same if you were paying your own rent, but the having everything paid will help out so you won't need as much money compared to if you were leaving in August. I'm still waiting to recieve confirmation about all this.

oneokbunny
May 7th, 2011, 06:32
no I won't be leaving in June. I will be with the August intake. The special package was nice but just not enough to be able to leave right now (I got a friend's wedding on the 15 of August as well). Though I heard from Richelle they were trying to get all the June people together for Training starting on the 19th of June. Good Luck with getting everything ready!

Keep us posted how things work out as well!

disguisedrobot
May 7th, 2011, 06:59
Heh I read it on the other thread. I'm going to have to call my friend and break the news to him that I won't be able to attend his wedding. Bit annoyed about that but nevermind.. I'm sure they'll understand.

In one of my emails I was told the 19th, then in another the 1st. It seems they want you there real early. I'm hopefully going to get there a few days before the 19th so I can get an extra 2 weeks' pay.

Jamgirl
May 8th, 2011, 11:11
i have my seminar this thursday. kinda anxious about the demo lesson. Im actually going for early departure. I had asked Richelle how soon we would expect to leave and she said June 1st which was a bit mind boggling and kinda impossible since they I havent even had the seminar. Will keep u guys posted. Hopefully we'll meet up in June

MrMagpie
May 8th, 2011, 12:34
Just got back from my seminar in Chicago. To any and all ALT hopefuls preparing for their own seminar - DON'T STRESS. My interviewer was fun, knowledgeable, and friendly. My fellow applicants were all a great bunch of people. Everyone gets nervous and fumbles during the teaching demos - it's all about how graciously you can correct yourself when you do make a mistake.

Above all, try to be engaged, personable, and curious. And HAVE FUN! Here's hoping I see some of you (and myself) in Japan! ;D

jd111
May 8th, 2011, 22:40
Does anyone have any informationnon the apartment choices? I don't mind small, I'm prepared for that. But the place they showed in the seminar (leopalace?) has this tiny tiny "kitchen" I like to cook, so the shitty looking electric cooker thing.... That won't do! Haha!

cheezing
May 9th, 2011, 00:04
Good luck on all those waiting on results or preparing for an interview with Interac. I attended one of the seminars in February and it wasn't until April till I heard back that I was successful due to terrible events that occurred.

They did offer me an early start with perks of a free flight which some have taken up but I decided against it. Mainly because I want to know where I'll be working and have some say in it before arriving in Japan. So I'll be going in Fall August. Interac have notified me that they'll send me the relevant documents at the end of May since I'm assuming they're focusing on people who are able to get to Japan earlier.

cheezing
May 9th, 2011, 00:07
Does anyone have any informationnon the apartment choices? I don't mind small, I'm prepared for that. But the place they showed in the seminar (leopalace?) has this tiny tiny "kitchen" I like to cook, so the shitty looking electric cooker thing.... That won't do! Haha!

When I enquired about accommodation at the seminar I was told that you can find your own accomodation should you want something different from what Interac offer.

oneokbunny
May 9th, 2011, 08:21
For housing, I believe the rule is that if you don't like where they place you before signing the contract for housing you can find your own. But once you sign it and say see the place don't like it then you can move out in 6 months. I believe if you move out before you will have to pay some charges for breaking contract

disguisedrobot
May 10th, 2011, 03:08
A lot of the kitchens are going to be small I'm afraid.

Got an email saying there's a departue on 13th June. I guess I'll take it! Asked them about the return trip to find out about what dates it'd be.

Jojo
May 10th, 2011, 07:35
Congrats on getting accepted guys. About the housing, in reality you might be able to choose a little bit with what they offer you but essentially you will have no real choice over where you live (at least at first). Your not going to be able to rent another place easily by yourself and you wont have any time to organize it when you first get to japan. So the reality is your pretty much stuck with what your given.

jd111
May 10th, 2011, 08:11
i dont mind to be honest, i will be happy anywhere i suppose! i just cannot stand electric cookers!
they are HOPELESS!

im trying not to think about this anymore, i would be absolutly gutted not to get accepted. im a bit worried as i have a "blip" on my criminal record, silly stuff from 2006, intoxicated in a public place etc...

i hope thats not going to be a problem.

jd111
May 13th, 2011, 03:08
got word from one of my references today, reference checked yesterday. I also sent in my college registration file/transcript yesterday too.

so at least i know progress is being made! gives me hope that the criminal record thing isnt a flat out refusal too!

Jamgirl
May 13th, 2011, 08:56
did my interview today. Thank God its over!Was a nervous wreck in the demo presentation. Rushed the reading. But i guess it was ok. I knew a little Japanese so hopefully that works in my favour lol. Everyone showed up for my seminar (8). My interview was actually better than my presentation in my opinion. was a whole lot calmer. The worst is over, they have all my documents so now all i do is wait....sigh

disguisedrobot
May 14th, 2011, 06:14
jd111 you should hear back soon once all references have replied.

Good luck Jamgirl! I'm leaving on the 12th June :O

oneokbunny
May 14th, 2011, 06:19
I emailed the recruiters in Tokyo about sending me information (like the extras) for a June departure since my plans have changed. That was a few days ago and still haven't heard anything =(

february1088
May 14th, 2011, 06:37
I emailed the recruiters in Tokyo about sending me information (like the extras) for a June departure since my plans have changed. That was a few days ago and still haven't heard anything =(

You should be happy because if you go June, they say they can send you to the nuclear-affected areas

Hey btw, on your Application for Certificate of Eligilbility form, it asks me the "Place to Apply for Visa: Name of City _____ " What do I write in?

oneokbunny
May 14th, 2011, 06:40
LOL well it'd be outside the evacuation zone ^^ Or out in Sendai. I actually like the idea of being able to help life get back to normal for those kids.

As for the form, do you know what the closest Japanese Consulate is to you? That is where you'll be taking it. For example the San Francisco one is the closest here.

february1088
May 14th, 2011, 06:45
LOL well it'd be outside the evacuation zone ^^ Or out in Sendai. I actually like the idea of being able to help life get back to normal for those kids.

As for the form, do you know what the closest Japanese Consulate is to you? That is where you'll be taking it. For example the San Francisco one is the closest here.

Ooooh I thought they finished the visa and just "handed it to you" LOL

Hmm I didn't know you had to actually bring it in. I heard you have to get Tubercolosis testing done, is it something you do as you send in the offer of employment?

Hey could you help me with the wording of this statement on the form?
When it asks me "Total period of education in the medium of English (all subjects taught in English) if you are planning on teaching English at school: ______ years", is it asking me how many years of English I learned as I went through schooling in America or is it asking me how many years of English I'm planning to teach in Japan?

disguisedrobot
May 14th, 2011, 06:46
I do wonder if I'll be teaching in temporary schools.

jd111
May 14th, 2011, 06:52
Yup. Got a call from the uk office today. References checked out ok. Criminal record not an issue. Maria was asking could I get some more documents relating o me graduating in June. She said interac don't have a problem. But the boe might not want to hire a non graduate. She said she would try her best and talk to the guys in Tokyo for me, and let me know on mon/Tuesday.

And congratulations to everyone that has been accepted! I hope to see you in Japan!

I would also love to go to Sendai! I visited my friend there last year! She is a jet, and was evacuated from the roof of the school with all the kids! She was in the paper! HERO

oneokbunny
May 14th, 2011, 06:55
It is asking you how many years of school you've had in English basically if you went to school in the US it's K-12 and college so about 16 years ^^

I had to get my visa to study abroad so I've been through that step. I had to turn over my passport for... a week or so as they processed my visa and attached it into my passport.

Though if where you need to take it is far away like 2-3 hour drive or more then I would call them and see if they could get it taken care of in the same day. Richelle at the interview said to try that.

As for the TB test. I haven't taken care of that yet. I believe it's required by Interac and not the Japanese government so you don't need it for your visa.

In regard to starting in June. I can see there being some need for teachers in temp schools and things but I think the biggest need will be for those schools near the areas affect that teachers who were scheduled to go pulled out.

disguisedrobot
May 14th, 2011, 06:58
nice one! I'll see you soon!

oneokbunny
May 14th, 2011, 07:01
I would also love to go to Sendai! I visited my friend there last year! She is a jet, and was evacuated from the roof of the school with all the kids! She was in the paper! HERO

Very nice!!

I really want to hear back from them about it!! T-T
The more I think and plan with it I want to start in June now...

disguisedrobot
May 14th, 2011, 07:03
I've read about the TB test somewhere, but I haven't been given information stating that I need to have one done. Nor have I been given any info about having a chest x-ray yet.

My flight stops in Seoul before changing flight to Tokyo. I prefer long haul flights but I can't complain really. It's free and I get 30kg weight limit. Need to find out about adding extra baggage.

So you're probably able to leave in June then bunny?

jd111
May 14th, 2011, 07:06
I've read about the TB test somewhere, but I haven't been given information stating that I need to have one done. Nor have I been given any info about having a chest x-ray yet.

My flight stops in Seoul before changing flight to Tokyo. I prefer long haul flights but I can't complain really. It's free and I get 30kg weight limit. Need to find out about adding extra baggage.

So you're probably able to leave in June then bunny?

30kg?? Hmmm that should be enough. I've to bring my kendo equipment with me so I might knead more. Let me know if you can get extra! My bogu alone weights 5+kg

february1088
May 14th, 2011, 07:07
Thanks Oneokbunny :)

I was also thinking about the June Departure, but I just dislike the fact that you have inflexibility with your location and you're told your location at last minute....

I'm probably gonna be spending 2 months in Korea before I go to Japan anyway...so it's gonna be a mini-Japan for me haha

jd111
May 14th, 2011, 07:09
Thanks Oneokbunny :)

I was also thinking about the June Departure, but I just dislike the fact that you have inflexibility with your location and you're told your location at last minute....

I'm probably gonna be spending 2 months in Korea before I go to Japan anyway...so it's gonna be a mini-Japan for me haha

Do you think it will be last minute? I got the idea that there were actually more placements available? Since they had a lot of deferrals and people declining places in spring?

oneokbunny
May 14th, 2011, 07:14
Well I want to go in June now but it's up to Interac if they will take me early. It's been a few days since I emailed them and I just assumed that I would receive a quick reply from them with info about leaving in June. Especially since the offer email says to contact them if you can leave in June.

Have they said anything else to you about how your visa would work leaving so fast? I hear it can take a month or two for the Certificate of Eligibility but hear a couple weeks as well. My snail mail'd application arrived there a couple days ago. ^^

30kg!!?!?! T^T Flights from the US are only 23kg per bag! sadness!

february1088
May 14th, 2011, 07:20
Do you think it will be last minute? I got the idea that there were actually more placements available? Since they had a lot of deferrals and people declining places in spring?

Well seeing as how it's mid-May already and I heard June orientation might be as early as the first week of June....I think it's pretty last minute to find out your location even if they let you know tomorrow. I just read on the special package sheet that they *can* send you to the affected disaster areas, but I'm sure there are other placements available for June

Hey guys, in the spirit of asking questions lol, I just read this part in the e-mail

"Regardless of whether you choose to scan or fax items 6) and 7), it is
essential that you then post the originals by surface mail to the address at
the bottom of this email including any other outstanding documents included
in the above list."

Does that mean that they want you to send the original handwritten copy of employment offer + certificate and physically mail it to the address, even though we had to scan it + email it ?

oneokbunny
May 14th, 2011, 07:28
The only date I've heard for June orientation is mid June. I've heard that even if they tell you a placement you might be asked to change it at orientation due to something. Say a boe decides not to go with a teacher and wants another or something last minute like that.

Well my 'problem' is that on the day June orientation is (June 13) I'm scheduled to take my behind the wheel driving test here in the US. So if I go then they are willing to place me somewhere driving isn't needed. Maybe they haven't gotten back to me because they are looking to see if that can be done.

Yes you will need to send 6 and 7 as well as the check list off to Tokyo after you email them the scans. Even though it's going to take some money I would express mail it. I believe they can't send off your application until they get the hard copy.

february1088
May 14th, 2011, 16:50
The only date I've heard for June orientation is mid June. I've heard that even if they tell you a placement you might be asked to change it at orientation due to something. Say a boe decides not to go with a teacher and wants another or something last minute like that.

Well my 'problem' is that on the day June orientation is (June 13) I'm scheduled to take my behind the wheel driving test here in the US. So if I go then they are willing to place me somewhere driving isn't needed. Maybe they haven't gotten back to me because they are looking to see if that can be done.

Yes you will need to send 6 and 7 as well as the check list off to Tokyo after you email them the scans. Even though it's going to take some money I would express mail it. I believe they can't send off your application until they get the hard copy.

I think you should try giving them a call. It's always worked. I've had an e-mail un-returned and I'm assuming maybe they might just not see it or what not. I really dislike the fact that you don't get your location till last minute and it's subject to change. Imagine being changed from Tokyo to Sapporo lol. I would cry!

About this visa process...do I have to remain in my city for my visa to be finished processing or can I just visit the Japanse consulate just to initiate the visa and then leave? I was planning to go visit Korea in June before going to Japan, and then going straight from Korea to Japan...but this will destroy my summer plans if it is the case.................

Oppai
May 14th, 2011, 21:54
Well seeing as how it's mid-May already and I heard June orientation might be as early as the first week of June....I think it's pretty last minute to find out your location even if they let you know tomorrow. I just read on the special package sheet that they *can* send you to the affected disaster areas, but I'm sure there are other placements available for June

Hey guys, in the spirit of asking questions lol, I just read this part in the e-mail

"Regardless of whether you choose to scan or fax items 6) and 7), it is
essential that you then post the originals by surface mail to the address at
the bottom of this email including any other outstanding documents included
in the above list."

Does that mean that they want you to send the original handwritten copy of employment offer + certificate and physically mail it to the address, even though we had to scan it + email it ?

People are flying out all over the place, and they have had orientation every week for the last 6 weeks, it appears as though they will continue to have them at a similar pace until august departure too.

If your coming down early, chances are you wont know your placement all that far in advanced, you will be insanely lucky if you do. I found out my placement info on the second day of my training...

I think you should try giving them a call. It's always worked. I've had an e-mail un-returned and I'm assuming maybe they might just not see it or what not. I really dislike the fact that you don't get your location till last minute and it's subject to change. Imagine being changed from Tokyo to Sapporo lol. I would cry!

About this visa process...do I have to remain in my city for my visa to be finished processing or can I just visit the Japanse consulate just to initiate the visa and then leave? I was planning to go visit Korea in June before going to Japan, and then going straight from Korea to Japan...but this will destroy my summer plans if it is the case.................

Lol the change wont be that drastic, usually just a different area in the same prefecture as you were originally offered, or somewhere relatively close to it.

For the WHV or Working visa, they take your passport.... pretty sure you cant go to Korea without it... I don't know about where you guys are, but in the UK it takes 3 working days. So get it done early and you'll be fine. you have a 3 month window to get to Japan in, and your visa doesn't start until you arrive there and get the little sticker thing at the airport.

disguisedrobot
May 15th, 2011, 05:22
The orientation date for me should be the 19th June. I arrive in Tokyo on the 13th June. Definitely give them a call.

Orientations every week? That's pretty intense. They must have tons of placements.. When did you start Oppai and how're you finding it so far? I need to get my WHV sorted but I don't think I can get to London until the 24th May but I'm worried that it won't turn up on time.. 2 weeks gonna be enough..?

disguisedrobot
May 15th, 2011, 06:42
Aah I just read this on their website:

Processing time for visa application:
Application must be made at least three weeks before the anticipated departure date. Applications submitted on short notice will not be accepted.

I wonder if this means people who've had interviews recently won't be able to leave until August..?

february1088
May 16th, 2011, 17:12
Oppai, thanks for the help(I love your username btw)

So let me try to understand this correctly. After the official employment offer, they have to process our visa. In order to do that, they have to begin the process for the Certificate of Eligibility. For them to even begin working on it, you need to finish sending all your documents/diploma, etc.

So after you send in your documents, they say that the application process for CoE can take up to 8 weeks. (Does it usually take that long?) And after that, your visa becomes available, so you drive to your nearest Japanese consulate, give them your passport, and have them work on it for a few days to finalize it.

Does this sound about right?

jd111
May 17th, 2011, 04:36
I will hold off on my extreme joy for now. And wait before I post accepted status! But I'm pretty much there!

Dear John,

I have just heard from the head office that you will be able to fly out on the 26th June. Dariya should contact you tomorrow with this information. This means that as long as you are able to get a letter from the university confirming that you have passed all your exams just after the results are published you should have enough time to apply for your WHV and depart on the 26th June.

Yeah!

Jamgirl
May 17th, 2011, 05:32
When did you do your interview JD. i did mine last thursday so i know i have a few more days to go before i'm advised. Did u ask them to pay for your air fare? I didnt but hopefully by the time i get word from them (if im successful) it wont be too late. the ticket prices are ridiculous and getting higher by the day

jd111
May 17th, 2011, 05:59
When did you do your interview JD. i did mine last thursday so i know i have a few more days to go before i'm advised. Did u ask them to pay for your air fare? I didnt but hopefully by the time i get word from them (if im successful) it wont be too late. the ticket prices are ridiculous and getting higher by the day

i did my interview on the 6th, pretty quick! hopefully they let you know soon!
as it says above, im expecting a call tomorrow. im sure ill find out all the details then. part of the WHV package is that the flights are paid for.

btw, does anyone know if i can just apply for a working holiday visa before i get my results? would that be possible/good idea?

disguisedrobot
May 17th, 2011, 06:34
Sounds promising Samurai Jack!

You supposedly have to wait until they've purchased a ticket for you before you apply. What you can do in the mean time is get all the documents ready for it. Have a peek here:

Embassy of Japan in the UK (http://www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/en/visa/work_hol.html)

I called them today and they said it takes a week to process.

It doesn't mention it on their website at all, but I read elsewhere that they don't accept printed online statements so I asked them about that earlier too. I'm sure the guy said it only needs to show the name, but when I asked my bank about getting my statements printed from the website for visa purposes they said I'd need to order them which'll take 3-10 days. I DON'T HAVE 10 DAYS! I ordered them anyway and will be calling the embassy tomorrow to check again.

For future applicants: either order your statements early or opt out of paper free statements.

..actually in saying that under normal circumstances there wouldn't be any hurry.

oneokbunny
May 17th, 2011, 10:59
Yes! I finally heard back about an early start!

Like above they estimate with getting my visa ready and all that I can't start in June but I can start the first week of July I get the move in help and signing bonus. No airfare paid but I don't think that should be a problem. I got to run numbers and see but i'm sure it'll work and I'll be starting in July.

My question to all you early starters: Are you getting the 250,000 en loan on top of the bonus or were you offered it at all? I emailed them back to ask about it but wanted to know from you guys. ^^ With all the start dates def sounds like they have orientation every weeks ^-^

Jamgirl
May 17th, 2011, 11:14
Well what we were told in my seminar is that you wont need the 500,000 since they already paying for the key, deposit money and utilities. richelle actually told us that we would need around 100,000 to cover our expenses till July. She never said anything about the bonus but she told us that we should not let money be the reason we cant go. They will try to give us the assistance if needs be

oneokbunny
May 17th, 2011, 16:04
Oh that explains a lot! ^^ thanks! I heard back from Dariya and if needed the loan is still available so that takes away all the financial worries! So I signed the contract and will be starting by the first week of July! I can't wait!

Oppai
May 20th, 2011, 08:46
Oppai, thanks for the help(I love your username btw)

So let me try to understand this correctly. After the official employment offer, they have to process our visa. In order to do that, they have to begin the process for the Certificate of Eligibility. For them to even begin working on it, you need to finish sending all your documents/diploma, etc.

So after you send in your documents, they say that the application process for CoE can take up to 8 weeks. (Does it usually take that long?) And after that, your visa becomes available, so you drive to your nearest Japanese consulate, give them your passport, and have them work on it for a few days to finalize it.

Does this sound about right?

Yeah it can take up to that long, but it doesnt usually. I took an early departure so came out before they needed the COE stuff sorted. But most folks just came down as expected so it seems they give themselves enough time.

Okbuns, what visa are you going Japan on? If you are taking the offer, you WILL NOT be able to get the loan so don`t rely on that info unless you have it in writing. Then by all means, make sure you print out that email and take it with you. One thing about interac, is they`re pretty good at "forgetting stuff" just make sure your good and documenting and remembering stuff...

oneokbunny
May 20th, 2011, 15:42
Okbuns, what visa are you going Japan on? If you are taking the offer, you WILL NOT be able to get the loan so don`t rely on that info unless you have it in writing. Then by all means, make sure you print out that email and take it with you. One thing about interac, is they`re pretty good at "forgetting stuff" just make sure your good and documenting and remembering stuff...

I will be going over on a work visa from the US. I'm a little worried that the CoE will not be ready on time. I do have it in writing in an email so I will make sure I have that with me. I am not completely counting on using the loan but it's nice to know it's there just in case.

Jamgirl
May 21st, 2011, 00:09
I got my offer of employment! yyyyyyeaaaaahhhhh me!

jd111
May 21st, 2011, 00:10
brilliant!

edit:

are there any other forums for interac applicants out there? ive had a look on japanguide, but cant seem to find a recent one.
would like to check out where people have been sent to!

earth
May 21st, 2011, 05:52
hey interac kids,
interac just sent me an email, after i received my offer of employment, that gives me a login and password to make a resume. i already sent them my own resume before we even had the interview. whats this about?

disguisedrobot
May 21st, 2011, 06:59
That's real strange. No idea earth, but congrats though!

My WHV app's in. Regarding online bank statements, if you print them out it goes over several pages. You just have to make sure that every page has your name and account number on it then it'll be fine. I got my official statements through the post yesterday (the day i travelled up to london) and lucky i decided not to wait for them because my bank's screwed up by sending my only a month's worth of transactions.

cjlowe5532
May 21st, 2011, 07:55
hey interac kids,
interac just sent me an email, after i received my offer of employment, that gives me a login and password to make a resume. i already sent them my own resume before we even had the interview. whats this about?

This is the resume they use to advertise you to the BOE's. I filled mine out as soon as I got it because I figured that it would probably up my chances of getting a placement earlier if I did so. I'm not sure why they just don't use the one you used to apply to interac with but it my have something to do with Interac's bureaucracy not wanting to work together and the fact that they use the one you applied with for your visa stuff. But this one does set you up as an Interac employee more, so I guess it is more directed toward the BOE's.

earth
May 21st, 2011, 07:58
This is the resume they use to advertise you to the BOE's. I filled mine out as soon as I got it because I figured that it would probably up my chances of getting a placement earlier if I did so. I'm not sure why they just don't use the one you used to apply to interac with but it my have something to do with Interac's bureaucracy not wanting to work together and the fact that they use the one you applied with for your visa stuff. But this one does set you up as an Interac employee more, so I guess it is more directed toward the BOE's.

oh ok, thanks a lot. they really should explain it better in the email.

Dave10
May 24th, 2011, 23:55
Hi all, just signed up to say hi. I'm leaving for Japan next week, though I still don't know where my placement is. Looks like I'll be told during orientation.