PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Pipes

kalliea
January 8th, 2011, 07:24
The water in my building seems to be off. I'm assuming the pipes are frozen, but not sure since it doesn't seem that cold. My Japanese is pretty bad, and the water company is closed until Tuesday (fucking Monday holiday!)

I emailed my PA, but she rarely checks her emails during the weekend. BoE is also unavailable until Tuesday.

Any one have some advice?

papa
January 8th, 2011, 10:16
don't want frozen pips, don't leave the mikan outside :p

To the reader - the title use to be frozen pips - thus the joke

Beth James
January 8th, 2011, 10:37
Do you have any friends who will let you crash on their couch until Monday or Tuesday?

kalliea
January 8th, 2011, 12:09
I had some offers, but that isn't the problem. If the pipes are actually frozen, and left alone for 3 days, they could burst. >.<

Azrael
January 8th, 2011, 12:13
have you paid the water bill?

January 8th, 2011, 12:16
I had some offers, but that isn't the problem. If the pipes are actually frozen, and left alone for 3 days, they could burst. >.<

If the pipes are frozen, they've probably already burst. Did you have your water running? If not, lie.

kalliea
January 8th, 2011, 13:28
have you paid the water bill?

I think so. I mean, it is auto-pay and I was paid on the 21st and the bill goes through on the 30th...don't know why it wouldn't go through. I wasn't in the country.

But I go a receipt in the mail just like I do every month, so I'm pretty sure it is paid for.

If the pipes are frozen, they've probably already burst. Did you have your water running? If not, lie.

They weren't open, but they are now. It is an apartment with shared water lines. I don't think they can blame me/I don't need to lie.

January 8th, 2011, 13:32
They can/will if the lines running to your apaato were the only ones to rupture.

word
January 8th, 2011, 13:52
OMG your spelling makes me want to stab my own eyes out.

Yeah, if your pipes are frozen, they've probably already burst if they're going to. You're in an apartment? Have you not asked one of your neighbors if their water is off, too? I don't speak much Japanese, either, but it's not much trouble to say "Mizu?"

This is really not a big deal. Go fill up some jugs at the school or something so you can flush your toilet. Buy some water to drink/brush your teeth with. Bathe at the onsen. Relax. You'll manage, somehow. Either that, or you'll go completely insane and/or die from thirst, lying in a puddle of your own excrement.

kalliea
January 8th, 2011, 13:54
No way. This is a semi tropical climate. 1/2 an inch of snow and the natives freak out. They aren't use to freezing temps. I doubt they know what to do, or that my pipes are the only ones frozen.

That being said, I think the part frozen is off the main water line. It is out side, and normally you can hear water rushing in it, but not today...

OMG your spelling makes me want to stab my own eyes out.

Yeah, if your pipes are frozen, they've probably already burst if they're going to. You're in an apartment? Have you not asked one of your neighbors if their water is off, too? I don't speak much Japanese, either, but it's not much trouble to say "Mizu?"

This is really not a big deal. Go fill up some jugs at the school or something so you can flush your toilet. Buy some water to drink/brush your teeth with. Bathe at the onsen. Relax. You'll manage, somehow. Either that, or you'll go completely insane and/or die from thirst, lying in a puddle of your own excrement.

There are only three occupied apartments in this buidling. I went and knocked on some doors, but got no answer. I'll try again later tonight if the water never comes back.

That being said, it takes 5L of water to flush my toilet. I know, because I've had to lug the water in already to do that. I'm not saying it is impossible, I'm saying it is a stupid pain. But in addition I have dishes that are going to attract bugs, so I'll have to boil them to get them clean. Again, yes, I'll manage. But I'd rather just pay a few buck to get a fucking plumer out her to defrost the pipes!

Sorry about my spelling.

January 8th, 2011, 14:09
It only takes that much if you fill the resevoir in the back to the top. Be careful with your steaky BMs and it'll be fine with.

kalliea
January 8th, 2011, 14:24
Doesn't matter, because I have water again!!

WOO hoo!! *happy dance*

word
January 8th, 2011, 14:40
But I'd rather just pay a few buck to get a fucking plumer out her to defrost the pipes!This is clearly a statement from someone who has never actually paid a plumber before. It would've cost you a hell of a lot more than a "few buck[s]" to have some poor wanker sit under your kitchen sink with a blowdryer.

patjs
January 8th, 2011, 14:56
kalliea for christ's sake learn how to spell plumber or go back to 4th grade.

kalliea
January 8th, 2011, 14:59
This is clearly a statement from someone who has never actually paid a plumber before. It would've cost you a hell of a lot more than a "few buck[s]" to have some poor wanker sit under your kitchen sink with a blowdryer.

1 - I've had pipes freeze before. I count a few bucks as maybe $300, to get him out here to sweat some pipes with a blow tourch.

2 - My first house had some serious plumbing problems. I've delt extensively with plumbers.

3 - If there problem was anywhere inside my house I would have delt with it. The pipes are external ones.

word
January 8th, 2011, 15:06
1 - I've had pipes freeze before. I count a few bucks as maybe $300, to get him out here to sweat some pipes with a blow tourch. Defrosting pipes is not "sweating" them. "Sweating" refers to the process of properly soldering copper pipes together.

2 - My first house had some serious plumbing problems. I've delt extensively with plumbers. But you apparently never learned to spell "dealt" correctly.

3 - If there problem was anywhere inside my house I would have delt with it. The pipes are external ones.If you're in an apartment complex, why would you pay someone $300 to handle a problem that you weren't responsible for?

kalliea
January 8th, 2011, 15:13
Defrosting pipes is not "sweating" them. "Sweating" refers to the process of properly soldering copper pipes together.

If a pipe has cracked, like they do when they freeze, you can sweat them to fix small cracks, rather than replace them. Doing this way kills two birds with one stone.

But you apparently never learned to spell "dealt" correctly.

My inability to spell takes nothing from my life experience. I'm sorry my disabilty pisses you off so much.

If you're in an apartment complex, why would you pay someone $300 to handle a problem that you weren't responsible for?

People pay for comfort and convienece all the time. Why are you shocked by this? I'd probably shell out $300 just to get it done two days earlier.

Antonath
January 8th, 2011, 17:40
If you're in an apartment complex, why would you pay someone $300 to handle a problem that you weren't responsible for?
How long have you lived in Japan? People pay for someone to change their tyres, put oil in their car... Not to mention key money.

patjs
January 8th, 2011, 18:09
But things like plumbing or your bathroom fan etc. are usually the responsibility of the landlord. Mine pays for that type of stuff.

But yes people seem to be too afraid to do anything on their own... my car guy is the best but assumes I don't know how to check my air in the tires or change the wiper blades. Not to mention all the people who have told me they don't go to self service stations because they are too scared to pump gas (sorry petrol/gasoline for all you people who get upset with the american terminology).

word
January 8th, 2011, 22:35
If a pipe has cracked, like they do when they freeze, you can sweat them to fix small cracks, rather than replace them. Doing this way kills two birds with one stone.This is sort of technically true, although it's also usually an awfully bad idea, as any decent plumber would tell you. Definitely a temporary fix at best. I'd sue a plumber who pulled that shit.

My inability to spell takes nothing from my life experience.No, but it makes me question your intelligence and, subsequently, the actual value of any "lessons" that you may have "learned" from your "experience."

I'm sorry my disabilty pisses you off so much.It doesn't piss me off half as much as your neverending tendency to use it as justification for your incredible ineptitude.

People pay for comfort and convienece all the time. Why are you shocked by this? I'd probably shell out $300 just to get it done two days earlier.You're right. I obviously shouldn't bother trying to talk you out of doing stupid things, as that's clearly just the way you roll. Why did you even bother asking for help on this forum? All you really wanted was sympathy for your inability to handle the situation independently.

How long have you lived in Japan? People pay for someone to change their tyres, put oil in their car... Not to mention key money.Yeah, but what Kall is discussing would be more like paying for someone to change the tires on and put oil in the bus she was planning on riding that day.

But yes people seem to be too afraid to do anything on their own... my car guy is the best but assumes I don't know how to check my air in the tires or change the wiper blades.Yeah, I've noticed this phenomenon, too. I blew my JTE's mind when I explained what I did to fix my Xbox's RRoD error.

Umber
January 8th, 2011, 23:01
Yeah, I've noticed this phenomenon, too. I blew my JTE's mind when I explained what I did to fix my Xbox's RRoD error.

Damp towel? : D

word
January 8th, 2011, 23:15
Nah, I did the "x-clamp removal/bolting down the heat sinks" fix. It was a lot easier than I expected.

Umber
January 8th, 2011, 23:40
Yet not as easy as a damp towel. : ( Still, ends justify.

word
January 9th, 2011, 00:13
Yeah, but much like trying to repair a split water pipe by slathering solder all over it, the damp towel fix is not a very good idea, nor is it usually a permanent fix.