PDA

View Full Version : Mie Prefecture-I'm going!!!

jusam13
May 20th, 2004, 23:59
I just found out I recieved Mie prefecture as my placement. Don't know the city yet. It looks super rural, but also pretty. I interviewed out of DC. It was not one of my requests, but it smack in the middle of two of them (Nara and Gifu), so close enough I guess. I don't know what else to say right now, I am in shock that I found out. Yeah! Who else will be with me in Mie?

Greggar
May 21st, 2004, 00:39
jusam13, my wife and I were placed in Aichi-ken, right next to Mie. I know a fair bit about the area, so let me know if you have any questions. I actually have a friend (Canadian) who is finishing there now as a JET, in the town of Matsusaka. There are some really good places there to visit, Toba and Ise come to mind. I also have friends (Japanese) who live in Kuwana, one of the bigger Mie cities. Its in the north of Mie, about a 20 min train ride to Nagoya, which is in Aichi Pref. I think you'll like it.

Ageha
May 21st, 2004, 03:28
There's also Nagashima Spa Land. It's not a terribly good amusement park in the general sense, but it does have the world's second tallest rollercoaster (or "jetcoaster" as they're called in Japan). I was terrified (and I *love* coasters), but my sister and a friend of ours LOVED it (they rode it 4 times).

Greggar
May 21st, 2004, 04:07
Ah yes, the Steel Dragon. That was a blast. Nasgashima Spaland is small, but has some good "jet coasters" including the White Cyclone. I liked it, though I found it amusing that my Japanese friends who took me there had never ridden the Steel Dragon (fastest, longest drop and couple other things) and only did so after I "forced" them to. :twisted:

Basashi
May 30th, 2004, 18:18
Looks like I'm headed for Obata-cho. About the only info I can find on it is that its near Matsusaka. Anyone know anything else about it?

katharine
May 31st, 2004, 05:00
Sorry, all I know is that Matsusaka has really good beef. USDA grade A will never be good enough again...

I'm gonna be in Taki-cho, Mie pref. See ya'll at the orientation.

katharine
June 1st, 2004, 05:21
I got my packet from the Taki-cho BOE today with tons of info on Mie prefecture! The 'welcome to Mie' letters and all the accomodation info really made it sink in that I am going to this place.

So it turns out that I will be in my very own house with a large yard!! It is fully furnished with futon sets, tables, AC/heat, kotatsu, bike, washing machine, fully equipped kitchen, and TV! Everything is provided, I don't think there is a single thing I have to buy. My rent is less than 200 dollars a month, too(20,500yen). AHH I'm so happy!! :D

Here's part of the 'welcome to Mie' letter that I'm sure the rest of the Mie people will get: "Konnichiwa! Greetings and congratulations on your placement in Mie Prefecture! Your new home is a long and narrow prefecture stretching north to south, with a landscape that includes gorgeous mountains for hiking and camping, and a long coastline boasting some great swimming and surfing spots. While the area is rich in nature, Mie is bustling with a large population of 1,860,000 people."

I'm interested to hear what other people are getting!

hgl
June 2nd, 2004, 14:56
I'm in Seiwa - a village right beside Taki. We're neighbours - cool! I'm glad to hear all the positive info about living in the area. I haven't received a package yet but apparently it's in the mail. That would be great if my rent was as low as yours.

Does anyone know how to access information on transportation to other areas of Mie and Japan from rural areas in Mie - bus? train? what is accessible?

I love rollercoasters! :D

Basashi
June 2nd, 2004, 16:12
Hey Katherine & hgl, according to this map

http://www.japan-101.com/gallery/prefecture_detail/Mie_prefecture_detailed_map

we'll be neighbors. Within 10-20km I'd guess. If you draw a triangle between Taki, Ise, and Meiwa you'll see where Obata-cho should be. To small to show-up on a map but atleast I'll have a train station.

See ya'll there.

katharine
June 2nd, 2004, 17:08
hgl-- Awesome! A neighbor!! hi.

Basashi-- Sorry, I can't see your link :(

Are you guys in Group A?

Basashi
June 3rd, 2004, 12:59
Yup, Group A.

Here's that link

http://www.japan-101.com/gallery/prefecture_detail/Mie_prefecture_detailed_map

katharine
June 3rd, 2004, 13:17
Sweet, that's a nice map, thanks. The letter from the Mie ken advisors said that all the current Mie JETs are really excited to meet us newbies. Looks like we'll all be one big jolly family. :wink:

hgl
June 4th, 2004, 06:53
I'm in Group A too. Still looking forward to receiving the info from my village. From what I gathered on the website it has a population of about 5000 people and a grand total of seven stoplights :)

How big is Taki? Obato?

Basashi
June 4th, 2004, 10:48
How big is Taki? Obato?

Obata has about 18,000 people.

Has anyone tried to get into the Yahoo Groups for Mie? My membership has been awaiting approval for about a week with no response.

katharine
June 4th, 2004, 13:42
Taki itself has closer to 11,000, but I think the areas that surround our towns have lots more.

jusam13
June 5th, 2004, 02:23
I also tried to join the yahoogroup. After about a week someone emailed me and asked for more information about myself, so I sent that. Now I am waiting for about another week and no response yet. Hopefully, they will soon. I'd like to see what that's all about.

Basashi
June 6th, 2004, 10:25
I've found a way to access the MieAJET.com website. It's been archived at

web.archive.org

or you can just go to this link

http://web.archive.org/web/20030610051700/http://www.mieajet.com/

There's a list of 02/03 Jets there with email addresses, it may still be accurate for some people.

hgl
June 9th, 2004, 03:46
Wow Basashi. That was a great find. Lots of great stuff. Thanks for doing the work for us :)
It looks like the new AJETsite for Mie is slowly getting set up.

aly22_B
June 15th, 2004, 23:17
Hello all.........found out my placement......Matsusaka city in Mie!.........looks like a nice place........but Mie is meant to be SUPER hot in the summers........anyone else with the same placement????

x

katharine
June 16th, 2004, 14:51
Hello, I will be in Taki-cho, which is 8 minutes away by train. Also, since my pred will still be there for a bit after I arrive, I'm gonna be staying in a hotel in Matsusaka for the first 2 weeks. :) See you at the orientation.

mango-shake
June 18th, 2004, 20:35
Hey there, I know some of you are on Big Daikon and have been following the big Mie-Jets thread there. Anyhow, welcome to Mie! It's a great place to be. Some parts of it are pretty rural, but others are, if not urban themselves, pretty close to big cities i.e. Nagoya. You can find all the train info you need at http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/

It's not the easiest thing in the world to find decent info on Mie. Our website www.miejets.org was down for a long time and has only recently been resurrected, but it's missing lots of stuff. Hopefully that will get sorted soon. We're also working on getting a fairly comprehensive Mie Guide Book together in time for orientation, with info on things to see and do and more. You might also be able to get some stuff off of http://www.mief.or.jp/en/index.html and the old MieAJET website link above should also be useful. I'm not sure why it's taking you guys so long to get onto the Mie Yahoo Groups site - sorry about that.

Anyhow, I'm on BD more often than here, but am happy to help you out in any way I can!

aly22_B
June 18th, 2004, 22:25
can someone pls give me the link for the mie yahoo group ?? i cant even find it on yahoo.

x

Cantdosleepflower
June 21st, 2004, 09:37
I too am MieJET!

I'm off to a village with no train station or bars.

I speak no Japanese.

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

shiisa-kun
July 5th, 2004, 00:40
Hey guys!!!!!
I'm off to Ise-shi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how cool is that?
Just got in touch with my predecessor...my apartment has 3 bedrooms!!!! 8O what the hell am I gonna do with 3 bedrooms!!!!?????
Anyhow if any of you guys ever want to visit Ise you're more than welcome to crash at my place...plenty of room :wink:
I have my pre-departure orientation thingy in London tomorrow...can't believe I have to catch a coach at 5 in the morning... :oops:
Anybody else going to Ise??? drop me a line...
take care!!!
can't wait to meet u all!!!!!!

mango-shake
July 7th, 2004, 15:13
can someone pls give me the link for the mie yahoo group ?? i cant even find it on yahoo.
just search for mieken, all one word, small letters.

as well, the Mie AJET website (http://miejets.org/) is up and running and starting to get more traffic again. It has a forum on it for newbies to introduce themselves, so feel free to check it out!