PDA

View Full Version : Absinthe in Japan?

WesleyCrusher
January 21st, 2011, 10:28
I've heard/read/found for myself that the stuff marketed here as absinthe is just licorice flavored hard liquor and chemically quite different from the "real" thing. Is it illegal to have "real" absinthe imported via mail?

MixedNuts
January 21st, 2011, 10:32
Is there a place that still makes the real thing? I heard it was banned. I'd like to try some, real or the fake stuff.

EMTQueen
January 21st, 2011, 10:45
It tastes like licorice. A couple of college friends smuggled a bottle from Scotland when they studied abroad. No wormwood, though.

Since I don't like licorice, it's not my favorite liquor.

MixedNuts
January 21st, 2011, 10:49
Then you probably don't like ouzo either. I tried ouzo once and hated it. But I'm just curious about the all kinds of fucked up you're supposed to get on absinthe.

Umber
January 21st, 2011, 11:01
Real absinthe contains wormwood. It's available in some sort of eastern european country. The normal stuff is so strong you may as well not bother.

Antonath
January 21st, 2011, 12:12
Wikipedia provides (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe). A lot of bans have been lifted in the last 10-20 years.

Seeing as they make it in Australia (a fairly strong version if I'm reading that correctly), chances are you might be able to find it at a typical foreign goods store.

MixedNuts
January 21st, 2011, 12:21
Seeing as they make it in Australia (a fairly strong version if I'm reading that correctly), chances are you might be able to find it at a typical foreign goods store.

Hey I've always wanted to go on a trip to Australia. I think I've decided where to go on vacation next.

mothy
January 21st, 2011, 14:21
Will someone please hurry up and post a set-up to my "absinthe makes the heart grow fonder" joke so I can quit reading this thread.

WesleyCrusher
January 21st, 2011, 15:29
You can buy it at any old grocery store in Germany. Like Antonath said the bans are being lifted.

I love it personally, just mix it with some water and drink it. It's all the good things about being drunk minus all the bad things about being drunk.

I guess I'll place a "request" and see if it arrives or not.

mothy
January 21st, 2011, 18:24
Would you say the bad things about being drunk are absinthe when you drink absinthe?

EMTQueen
January 21st, 2011, 18:56
Then you probably don't like ouzo either. I tried ouzo once and hated it. But I'm just curious about the all kinds of fucked up you're supposed to get on absinthe.

Never had ouzo. If it tastes like licorice, then yeah, I probably won't like it.

mothy
January 22nd, 2011, 01:16
What if the licorice taste was absinthe. WOuld you like it then?

Antonath
January 22nd, 2011, 22:37
What if the licorice taste was absinthe. WOuld you like it then?
Maybe they could make a non-licorice flavoured version. Then you might find you missed the taste of the licorice.

Jojo
January 23rd, 2011, 12:55
theres nothing special about absinthe - your not going to trip balls and you can buy the real stuff here easy.. It just gets you really pissed and makes you burp licorce for a week... i dont see what the appeal is

mothy
January 23rd, 2011, 19:07
It was banned. It's so edgy and cool.

Punchy
January 23rd, 2011, 19:30
I had a shot of "absinthe" in Kyoto and it was disgusting. I'd love to try the real stuff! Lemme know how it goes, Meelynn

Azrael
January 24th, 2011, 08:48
you can buy "real absinthe" here. Just make sure its made in the czech republic and not by jack tanaka of the suntory brewing company.

Jojo
January 24th, 2011, 10:57
I had a shot of "absinthe" in Kyoto and it was disgusting. I'd love to try the real stuff! Lemme know how it goes, Meelynn
it wasnt just a straight shot .... right...?

WesleyCrusher
January 24th, 2011, 15:21
I doubt I'll find non-Tanaka-made stuff here in rural Kyushu. Whatever I'll live. Punchy you'll be the first to know should that change.

I wouldn't shoot it straight unless I was trying to commit suicide or induce vomiting! Mixed with water and sipped is good, not in any large quantity either.

Azrael
January 24th, 2011, 15:28
【楽天市場】アブサン の検索結果 - (標準順 写真付き一覧):通販・インターネットショッピング (http://search.rakuten.co.jp/search/mall/%E3%82%A2%E3%83%96%E3%82%B5%E3%83%B3/-/)

WesleyCrusher
January 24th, 2011, 15:58
sankyu Az

Punchy
February 1st, 2011, 09:22
I wouldn't shoot it straight unless I was trying to commit suicide or induce vomiting! Mixed with water and sipped is good, not in any large quantity either.

Yeah...I don't think it was real at all, but it was straight. It did t have anythi g else in it. It was disgusting. It made have just been absinthe-flavoured licquour or some shit.

smells like feet
April 25th, 2011, 14:53
Absinthe has no hallucinogenic properties, that's a myth. The checmical blamed for that is thujone, which was mistakenly described as being related to THC. Moreover you would die of alcohol poisoning before you'd get enough thujone to cause any kind of effect. Also, while thujone can be poisonous in high dosages there is no evidence that it causes hallucinations (in any amount). Angostura bitter have more thujone than most modern "real" absinthes so buying "fake" one and adding bitters would do the exact same thing.

However, If you just want a strong liquor just go with the old standby, Spirytus (http://en.item.rakuten.com/sakemitsui/vod-0007/). 96% alcohol, and lots of stores carry it, even in the middle of nowhere.

Hikari
April 25th, 2011, 15:03
Absinthe has no hallucinogenic properties, that's a myth. The checmical blamed for that is thujone, which was mistakenly described as being related to THC. Moreover you would die of alcohol poisoning before you'd get enough thujone to cause any kind of effect. Also, while thujone can be poisonous in high dosages there is no evidence that it causes hallucinations (in any amount). Angostura bitter have more thujone than most modern "real" absinthes so buying "fake" one and adding bitters would do the exact same thing.

However, If you just want a strong liquor just go with the old standby, Spirytus (http://en.item.rakuten.com/sakemitsui/vod-0007/). 96% alcohol, and lots of stores carry it, even in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah, the absinthe that people said gave them hallucinations was probably tainted.

Anyone ever done the absinthe ritual in Japan?

Yeah...I don't think it was real at all, but it was straight. It did t have anythi g else in it. It was disgusting. It made have just been absinthe-flavoured licquour or some shit.

Was this the shit we had? I seem to remember us doing it vaguely, and if so the barman didn't know shit about it.