PDA

View Full Version : BBC apologises over QI.

Jordan
January 22nd, 2011, 23:08
BBC 'unluckiest' take on double hibakusha hit | The Japan Times Online (http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110122a4.html)
BBC sorry for joking about hibakusha | The Japan Times Online (http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110122x3.html)

YouTube - The Unluckiest Man in the World - QI Series 8 Ep 13 Holidays Preview - BBC One (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dgzszWlG6c)
Weirdly still up on YT despite the apparent uproar.

Thoughts?

mothy
January 22nd, 2011, 23:19
If you can't laugh at atom bomb jokes than I have no use for you as a person.

Miss_igirisu
January 23rd, 2011, 00:14

Miss_igirisu
January 23rd, 2011, 00:14
Load of crap.
They didn't insult him or laugh at him, they were saying that he was extraordinary and complimented the train system. And the Japanese get upset? From a country that blacks up for comedy? That have racist adverts on tv and Nazi costumes in their stores?

Omoplata
January 23rd, 2011, 00:32
There's some some weird comments on youtube for this. There was one from a Japanese guy saying 'Oh,yes.Today's"Great Britain"is "Great Brute".' :lol:

Miss_igirisu
January 23rd, 2011, 00:42
The guy who keeps comparing the "unlucky man" to "Lucy Blackman's unlucky family" is pissing me off.

Omoplata
January 23rd, 2011, 01:08
There was somebody who just wrote Fuck UK repeatedly. He'd probably been educated using the one world textbooks.

ashleytwo
January 23rd, 2011, 01:21
There was a point behind the whole joke though - Hiroshima gets bombed and the trains are running the next day. 65 years later and leaves fall on tracks in the UK and there's severe delays and cancellations.

Tyr
January 23rd, 2011, 02:08
Odd, my reply has vanished :s

I'm not seeing the big deal at all. They never insulted the guy. They were just a bit philisophical about whether he was lucky or unlucky.

ashleytwo
January 23rd, 2011, 04:50
I supposed they made light of what was undoubtedly a very bad situation. But didn't he campaign for awareness of double victims? Well...he kind of got it.

Miss_igirisu
January 23rd, 2011, 10:24
None of them understand the English- which is understandable, but replying with racist and dickish comments just shows what a backward country this is. I wish I hadn't looked at the comments because they just make me mad.

mothy
January 23rd, 2011, 19:06
When you're raised in Japan you're brainwashed into doing nothing but crying uncontrollably whenever Hiroshima is mentioned. If you ever want to have a reasonable discussion about a topic that even remotely touches Big Boom 1 and Big Boom 2 don't have it with a Japanese person.

Page
January 23rd, 2011, 19:55
Check back later for a better formulated opinion

Miss_igirisu
January 23rd, 2011, 21:12
They're not racist I don't think. They just don't have the education or the upbringing to think about things like this in a real sense, like Mothy said. They're taught it's all "us and them" and when people are seen wearing laughing, wearing tropical shirts in front of a Japanese guy and the two mushroom clouds then they panic and think we're picking on them, so go crying to their mummies.

Page
January 23rd, 2011, 22:24
knee jerk reaction, my bad.

Muffles
January 24th, 2011, 01:09
I have a feeling this might come up for people interviewing this week :s

Daddyatemyfries
January 24th, 2011, 02:03
how you plan to handle that muffles?

I know I'm not British, but coming from an American's stand point of view:
I watched it..and I laughed cause damn he is a lucky guy!!
In my opinion they were not making fun of the atomic bomb survivor, but making fun of fate who can be cruelly ironic every now and then.

Anyways I would like to thank the UK for producing Ricky Gervais for doing the Golden Globe awards! I despise Hollywood, and was thrilled that he made fun of each and everyone of those smug assholes!!
Doesn't believe celebrities should get paid just for remembering lines but other professions that save lives get paid crap!!

Daddyatemyfries
January 24th, 2011, 02:03

bigredgoofball
January 24th, 2011, 02:23
They're not racist I don't think. They just don't have the education or the upbringing to think about things like this in a real sense, like Mothy said. They're taught it's all "us and them"

Yes... but that's not an excuse. It's a causal relationship. Lots of otherwise nice white folk would then be able to say "It's not my fault I hate black people, I hate 'em cause I was raised that way," if we allowed that type of excuse. Point is, in these times we live in today, there's plenty of exposure to other races and cultures, through internet, movies, television, periodicals, etc. and more than enough opportunities to seriously think about race relations... and still a lot of people don't bother to think beyond "That's what my Mommy and Daddy used to say."

...and when people are seen wearing laughing, wearing tropical shirts in front of a Japanese guy and the two mushroom clouds then they panic and think we're picking on them, so go crying to their mummies.

I suspect that if we here in America, or you fine folks in Britain, had ever been hit with a nuclear bomb, and we then saw the same thing on TV... Our President and your PM would be demanding an apology as well, in the name of all those who weren't so "lucky" as this man. The segment containing this story may not have been purposefully mean... but it was most certainly not in good taste.

Daddyatemyfries
January 24th, 2011, 02:36
shh dr.venture, don't bring America into the light like this!! The Brits didn't figure out who Paul Mooney was!! Or did they..you guys know Paul Mooney?

Miss_igirisu
January 24th, 2011, 07:19
Yes... but that's not an excuse. It's a causal relationship. Lots of otherwise nice white folk would then be able to say "It's not my fault I hate black people, I hate 'em cause I was raised that way," if we allowed that type of excuse. Point is, in these times we live in today, there's plenty of exposure to other races and cultures, through internet, movies, television, periodicals, etc. and more than enough opportunities to seriously think about race relations... and still a lot of people don't bother to think beyond "That's what my Mommy and Daddy used to say."

Yes, but this isn't one or two people being brought up to be racist, this is a whole country lacking th education to think openly about ideas and ways of life that are different to theirs. It's completely different.

I suspect that if we here in America, or you fine folks in Britain, had ever been hit with a nuclear bomb, and we then saw the same thing on TV... Our President and your PM would be demanding an apology as well, in the name of all those who weren't so "lucky" as this man. The segment containing this story may not have been purposefully mean... but it was most certainly not in good taste.

I agree that some of the jokes ("[the bomb] just bounced off his head", for example) were too far, but the situation in its whole is completely fine. They are remarking on what a miraculous person he was, and complimenting the trains. I know you're not in Japan so maybe you don't know, but there are plenty of Nazi cosplay items here, as well as "gaijin" ones, "black man" ones and so on. People have known about them for years but no embassy made an official complaint. It was only very recently that someone sent a letter out and now the Nazi one isn't on sale anymore.

armchairpatriot
January 24th, 2011, 07:22
INB4 a Pearl Harbour (or veiled reference like "Did anybody notice all those Japanese reconnisance planes over Cowes this week?") or Burma Railway gag in Top Gear next week.

I suspect that if we here in America, or you fine folks in Britain, had ever been hit with a nuclear bomb, and we then saw the same thing on TV... Our President and your PM would be demanding an apology as well,

Ooh I dunno. On occasion we make light of our historical disasters. There's a photo from the Boer war of a trench absolutely filled with dead British soldiers, the place is a fairly popular tourist attraction for Brits in South Africa now. Some old TV show came to an end with characters saying they were going off to America on "this new ship called the Titanic". And lets not forget the "If you knows of a better 'ole, go to it!" postcards making light of the horrors of the First World War... while it was still happening!

armchairpatriot
January 24th, 2011, 07:23
Oh bloody hell, it must be my browser or something

Miss_igirisu
January 24th, 2011, 07:46
I've been having a lot more double posts recently too. It's not just you.

Kegger
January 24th, 2011, 08:33
None of them understand the English- which is understandable, but replying with racist and dickish comments just shows what a backward country this is. I wish I hadn't looked at the comments because they just make me mad.

+1.

They especially didn't understand the half full-half empty bit -_-.

Taurus
January 24th, 2011, 09:14
They're not racist I don't think. They just don't have the education or the upbringing to think about things like this in a real sense, like Mothy said. They're taught it's all "us and them" and when people are seen wearing laughing, wearing tropical shirts in front of a Japanese guy and the two mushroom clouds then they panic and think we're picking on them, so go crying to their mummies.

Someone seems to have taught you it's all 'us and them'.

PS. The Royal Family didn't seem to have too many difficulties sourcing a Nazi costume in Britain a few years ago...

Antonath
January 24th, 2011, 09:19
INB4 a Pearl Harbour (or veiled reference like "Did anybody notice all those Japanese reconnisance planes over Cowes this week?") or Burma Railway gag in Top Gear next week.
Top Gear's back! Thank you for reminding me - have to mysteriously acquire last night's episode when I get home...

The general opinion on the internet seems to be that Japan just didn't "get it" (or have watched some alternate reality version of the show), have overreacted, and are coming out of this looking like racist pricks. I hear the anti-brit comments have now expanded to anti-chinese, anti-korean, etc.

As for being internationally educated by the TV, etc: have you seen Japanese TV? Making fun of gaijin is a regular schedule-padder. And as for the internet, how can they learn about the rest of the world when the majority will only read sites written in Japanese? The ones that can read English well enough to use the rest of the internet probably don't have those racist opinions in the first place (well, most of them - I still remember the JTE who thought the whole Toyota thing was just Japan-bashing).

Tarquin
January 24th, 2011, 09:21
Japanese media is racist like a small child is, they just kinda think it’s okay to put on the blonde wig and big gaijin nose. I’m not saying it’s right, but just how it is.

The QI presenters weren’t taking the piss out of him or Japan, however I did have a bit of an “eeeee” when the audience were laughing when they said that a second bomb fell on him. That’s not cool really...

The comments are hilarious, because reading them you know that they don’t understand what’s going on for shit.

HIV positive
January 24th, 2011, 09:31

Can someone translate this garbage into comprehensible English for me?

In Britain I doubt many people would be clamoring for an apology. Japan hasn't moved on from WWII like the rest of its participants and this reaction is proof of it.

Miss_igirisu
January 24th, 2011, 09:36
Someone seems to have taught you it's all 'us and them'.

PS. The Royal Family didn't seem to have too many difficulties sourcing a Nazi costume in Britain a few years ago...

How am I "us and them"? Also, one high royal does not equal a trend in Nazi related items on sale. There was an official apology for harry too.

bigredgoofball
January 24th, 2011, 09:36
Yes, but this isn't one or two people being brought up to be racist, this is a whole country lacking th education to think openly about ideas and ways of life that are different to theirs. It's completely different.

HHmmm... You make an interesting point, however, I still think of it as racism. Remember, until the early 1960's the power structure of many communities of the southern states in my own country thought it was acceptable to beat/lynch the occasional black man if he got too "uppity" in their opinion. It's really only in the past couple of decades that a huge amount of progress has been made here, even after the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The sea-change has been a direct result of forced integration and education, and children being raised together and educated together. People of many races share a mutual culture here, and that has shifted our mental demographic.

I suspect that Japan, as a fairly insular nation even today, (despite the government's best efforts at Internationalization), simply hasn't had the chance to have such an integrated experience for their children. In a way, I see this as one aspect of JET that is well and truly important: Getting Japanese kids used to gaijin, so that their opinions and minds remain more open to people outside their own 'usual' experience as they develop into adults.

I agree that some of the jokes ("[the bomb] just bounced off his head", for example) were too far, but the situation in its whole is completely fine. They are remarking on what a miraculous person he was, and complimenting the trains. I know you're not in Japan so maybe you don't know, but there are plenty of Nazi cosplay items here, as well as "gaijin" ones, "black man" ones and so on. People have known about them for years but no embassy made an official complaint. It was only very recently that someone sent a letter out and now the Nazi one isn't on sale anymore.

Oh, I know it's not intended to be hurtful, but I think we both understand that feelings often don't go the way we want them to. Personally, I think as long as one doesn't espouse hurtful ideology, you should be free to explore symbolism. The Nazis are a historical fact, as was Hirohito, or Stalin, or Roosevelt, or Churchill.

But when we get into caricature, or parody, or comedy... we move beyond historical interest, and begin placing meaning, (and occasionally mockery), onto classes or groups of people. In doing so, we walk a very fine line. Apparently, to many Japanese people, the program crossed that line by making light of, or being humourous with regard to, the dropping of two atomic bombs on their country... something that some surviving 70-80 year old Japanese people were alive to experience first-hand.

We Americans often seem to be a ham-fisted, self-absorbed lot when it comes to interpreting our own place in history, and in the world. I'm not placing blame or saying people were right or wrong in airing the program. I'm simply putting out there that the surprise many westerners seem to be feeling at Japan's overall reaction is something of a wake-up call for all of us... and just maybe, the Japanese can also learn a lesson from this, as well. Neither East nor West is the center of the world. We all of us sometimes tell an off-color joke at the wrong time. Get mad if you want... but try also to explain to us *why* we made you mad, and help us become better partners. It's the only way we'll all become better at sharing this little spot in the universe.

bigredgoofball
January 24th, 2011, 09:40
Can someone translate this garbage into comprehensible English for me?
LOL.... just trying to say that Racism is the same all over, and with as much cultural exposure as is out there, there's less reason for it every day. Sorry I got a little wordy there.

bigredgoofball
January 24th, 2011, 09:41
I've been having a lot more double posts recently too. It's not just you.
I've noticed that too! Happened several times to me this past week. HHhhmmm.... Mods? Ideas?

Miss_igirisu
January 24th, 2011, 09:52
Big red,
You're not getting it. Again, I don't like to bring it up but unless you live here and are in the culture, it's difficult to understand. There is a big difference between a bunch of people saying "I was brought up to think black people are stupid and bad so I'll lynch them" and a bunch of people not knowing much about the outside world but blacking up to have a jolly on tv. Especially as that black comedian goes on tv acting like a stupid gorilla all the time anyway. They are not looking down on other races, they are just not aware of what is ok and what is not. Which, you could argue, is the same thing as the QI team.

I remember a few years back there was an e mobile advert that had a monkey reinacting obama's change speech. They just didn't know that it's not ok, they don't learn that stuff. It's not racism, it's ignorance. It's different.

Ad going back to harry and the Nazis, I'd just like to point out that it was in fact other Brits who took the picture, posted it, and complained about it. The day Japanese people realise their own peoples' faults and complain about them will be the day he'll freezes over. Ibizo shamed the kabuki theatre, but if he had done something racially innapproproate I would bet he wouldn't have had to apologise like that.

Taurus
January 24th, 2011, 10:03
How am I "us and them"? Also, one high royal does not equal a trend in Nazi related items on sale. There was an official apology for harry too.

I don't know how to make it any clearer than I already did by highlighting all of the instances of 'them' and 'us' in your original post - a post which seems to bracket an entire nation together in a series of massive generalisations about Japanese people and the way their inadequate education and upbringing leaves them unable to overcome their debilitating lack of empathy.

Also, Prince Harry is third in line to the throne. He's a couple of deaths away from ruling your country. You really think that isn't morally equivalent to a few tatty plastic nazi outfits on sale at the back of Don Quijote?

I remember a few years back there was an e mobile advert that had a monkey reinacting obama's change speech. They just didn't know that it's not ok, they don't learn that stuff. It's not racism, it's ignorance. It's different.

The New York Post ran a cartoon comparing Obama to a monkey. Is that because they don't learn that stuff in American schools either?

The day Japanese people realise their own peoples' faults and complain about them will be the day he'll freezes over.

Do you honestly believe this? Have you honestly never heard any Japanese people complaining about Japanese people or things? I'm astonished. Sure, if some foreigner starts loudly complaining about life in Japan in front of Japanese people they don't know that well, I can imagine that they might get a little bit defensive - in the same way that, for example, British people might. But if you hold an actual conversation with a real Japanese person, I think you'll find that they're just as prepared to gripe and complain as anybody else from any other part of the planet.

Daddyatemyfries
January 24th, 2011, 10:15
Big red,
You're not getting it. Again, I don't like to bring it up but unless you live here and are in the culture, it's difficult to understand. There is a big difference between a bunch of people saying "I was brought up to think black people are stupid and bad so I'll lynch them" and a bunch of people not knowing much about the outside world but blacking up to have a jolly on tv. Especially as that black comedian goes on tv acting like a stupid gorilla all the time anyway. They are not looking down on other races, they are just not aware of what is ok and what is not. Which, you could argue, is the same thing as the QI team.

Ad going back to harry and the Nazis, I'd just like to point out that it was in fact other Brits who took the picture, posted it, and complained about it. The day Japanese people realise their own peoples' faults and complain about them will be the day he'll freezes over. Ibizo shamed the kabuki theatre, but if he had done something racially innapproproate I would bet he wouldn't have had to apologise like that.

Umm, who is this black comedian you speak of?
You mean Bobby Ologun?
I know your intentions are well, but that statement I bolded did make me go
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4826/2a9t9fm.gif
I mean you state how Japan was ignorant to use that Monkey in the cellphone ad during the US elections with Obama, but yet you make that comment about some black comedian acting like a gorilla..

Thats all I had to say, I'm just going to sit back, and watch how this unfolds...
I like debates..

bigredgoofball
January 24th, 2011, 10:23
...There is a big difference between a bunch of people saying "I was brought up to think black people are stupid and bad so I'll lynch them" and a bunch of people not knowing much about the outside world but blacking up to have a jolly on tv. ... They are not looking down on other races, they are just not aware of what is ok and what is not. Which, you could argue, is the same thing as the QI team.

A valid point... there is a bit of a distinction there. Most Brits haven't been to Japan, so they don't have the depth of knowledge or feeling toward the Japanese to feel really offended.... so they wonder why the Japanese*are* so seemingly offended.

I think cultural exchange is one of the best weapons we have against this type of misunderstanding. In a way JET is sort of at the forefront of combating this lack of exposure and understanding between the West and Japan. Other countries also have similar programs, too... and I only wish more Japanese teachers were teaching over here, as well.

Miss_igirisu
January 24th, 2011, 10:25
Look mate, I know your Japanese wife is probably different, but it's the way I see it here in my japan. Japanese people are willing to talk about the failings of their government, of the shortage of babies, of how expensive things are. But, and i assure you, you are not the only person who has Japanese friends to talk with, they are not ready or willing to listen to how their country is with foreigners. Just a short while ago I was with a family that I know very well, who were saying how their kids like that drama "nihonjin no shiranai nihongo". I was upset, saying that they should think about letting their kids watch a show whose very first scene is a gaijin sat in the special seats on a bus when an old lady stands up, and only leaves when he is shouted at. I don't know about you Taurus but I've seen the opposite of that many times and never that way round. They couldn't see what was wrong with that scene at all an weren't really interested in thinking about why it was that it got my back up. That's just one example.

And backto harry, i'm not supporting him in any way. I detest the little turd. But one stupid teenager's prank cannot be compared with a general laxed policy on Nazi goods being sold. I don't care who he is, he has the right to make mistakes, even big ones like that. And I aplogise for not Reading up on what American newspapers print.

Miss_igirisu
January 24th, 2011, 10:28
You mean Bobby Ologun?
I mean you state how Japan was ignorant to use that Monkey in the cellphone ad during the US elections with Obama, but yet you make that comment about some black comedian acting like a gorilla..

Thats all I had to say, I'm just going to sit back, and watch how this unfolds...
I like debates..

I think that's his name. He DOES act like a monkey- do a YouTube search. I hate him for it, he's playing their game and bringing the view of black people down with it. I once saw him doing this thing at a zoo. He saw a monkey and was like "oh, we speak the same language, he's my cousin!" how is hating someone who does that, racist? He's stupid, and bringing down his race in japan for a quick buck.

Azrael
January 24th, 2011, 10:30
You mean Bobby Ologun?

I like debates..

you have to admit there is a resemblance
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VaO9EuGspx8/R-aqCVCWpCI/AAAAAAAAAWU/fYS2l4kJvw4/s200/%E3%83%94%E3%82%AF%E3%83%81%E3%83%A3+1.jpg

Miss_igirisu
January 24th, 2011, 10:30
A valid point... there is a bit of a distinction there. Most Brits haven't been to Japan, so they don't have the depth of knowledge or feeling toward the Japanese to feel really offended.... so they wonder why the Japanese*are* so seemingly offended.

I think cultural exchange is one of the best weapons we have against this type of misunderstanding. In a way JET is sort of at the forefront of combating this lack of exposure and understanding between the West and Japan. Other countries also have similar programs, too... and I only wish more Japanese teachers were teaching over here, as well.

Finaly something we agree on :-)
It's a shame jets aren't listened to. We could do a lot more if we meant more to our communities.

bigredgoofball
January 24th, 2011, 10:35
Finaly something we agree on :-)
It's a shame jets aren't listened to. We could do a lot more if we meant more to our communities.
This brings up an interesting question: How many folks do community outreach while on JET? Is there opportunity to volunteer for community cultural-exchange programs? Or are JET's so exhausted at the end of the day that they just go home, drink while doing laundry, consume cup-noodle, and sleep?

Azrael
January 24th, 2011, 10:37
community outreach? jets being exhausted? you really don't know anything about JET do you?

Taurus
January 24th, 2011, 10:39
Look mate, I know your Japanese wife is probably different, but it's the way I see it here in my japan.

You don't even know my Japanese wife. She's the most racist person I know.

Just a short while ago I was with a family that I know very well, who were saying how their kids like that drama "nihonjin no shiranai nihongo". I was upset, saying that they should think about letting their kids watch a show whose very first scene is a gaijin sat in the special seats on a bus when an old lady stands up, and only leaves when he is shouted at. I don't know about you Taurus but I've seen the opposite of that many times and never that way round. They couldn't see what was wrong with that scene at all an weren't really interested in thinking about why it was that it got my back up.

Maybe the reason they couldn't see what was wrong with that scene is that they're not constantly on the look out for scenes involving individual gaijin that might - by viewers who are desperate to be offended - be misconstrued as casting aspersions or negative stereotypes on gaijin in general.

But mostly, I just think it is a little bit ironic to be accusing a whole nation of people of racial insensitivity.

bigredgoofball
January 24th, 2011, 10:46
community outreach? jets being exhausted? you really don't know anything about JET do you?
That's why I keep asking questions. :)

Daddyatemyfries
January 24th, 2011, 10:46
I agree he acts like a dumb ass, and I despise him just the same( doesn't make views of other Black people any better) but thats really insulting Gorillas/monkeys!! Seriously,they're highly intelligent animals who'd be quick to throw some shit at his ass for behaving the way he does for making them look dumb. If they had better control of their thumbs, and walked on two legs constantly, we'd be in trouble for sure!!:lol:
But seriously, I don't think he acts like a monkey...he acts like a complete dimwit/dumbass/fool/idiot/doltish,who in my opinion should not be likened to any animal, unless its a a domesticated turkey. And so far its been proven false that they drown while looking up at the sky with their mouth open when it rains, so Bobby is in a class all by himself=D.
If anything the best word to call his ass is a "sell out" or a one man "minstrel" show in Japan.
Don't worry, I don't think you're racist,and I commend you for noticing how his antics isn't promoting a positive image of Black people in Japan.

Taurus
January 24th, 2011, 10:50
We could do a lot more if we meant more to our communities.

Maybe I'm lucky with my placement, but I'm also lucky enough to be in a position to see the enormous amount of activity that goes in behind the scenes to making the JET Programme work. Perhaps some individual local communities don't value their JETs enough - although I haven't actually experienced that myself - but at a prefectural level, and, as far as I can tell, most of the time at a more local level, there is an enormous investment of time, effort, and money, to make sure that JETs are well looked after, to make sure that they are helping and being used effectively in the classroom, and to make sure that they are well-received by their local communities.

I know that's an unfashionable view on here. And I know that there are frustrating things about living in Japan, and Japanese people are just as capable of being annoying as people from any other part of the world. But I really think it is unhelpful - both to yourself and to people who might come on here trying to find out more about Japan and JET - to project your unhappiness with those things on to either the JET Programme or the nation as a whole.

Daddyatemyfries
January 24th, 2011, 10:53
you have to admit there is a resemblance
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VaO9EuGspx8/R-aqCVCWpCI/AAAAAAAAAWU/fYS2l4kJvw4/s200/%E3%83%94%E3%82%AF%E3%83%81%E3%83%A3+1.jpg

oh you're evil!!
http://www.roumazeilles.net/news/fr/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/gorilla.JPG
This gorilla is giving you the side eye for insulting his looks!!
Nah not really....a gorilla has more intelligence and dignity then Bobby Oglon.

Azrael
January 24th, 2011, 11:05
i havent seen or heard anything from bobby since 2007 anyway so I dont know if thats who that cracker miss_i is talking about.

Bob Sapp was always more offensive, barking like a dog and eating photographs of his opponents

Daddyatemyfries
January 24th, 2011, 11:16
cracker? ..*sighs* ..lol oh Azrael,
But yeah...I heard last time he beat his manager or something like that, I hope his ass stays off tv. As for Bob Sapp...for the love of strawberries...I give up!!!
If I get into JET...I have a lot of stuff to do, if I'm not confined to a classroom of course..

Miss_igirisu
January 24th, 2011, 11:41
This brings up an interesting question: How many folks do community outreach while on JET? Is there opportunity to volunteer for community cultural-exchange programs? Or are JET's so exhausted at the end of the day that they just go home, drink while doing laundry, consume cup-noodle, and sleep?

I get involved with all my towns events.. It got a bit crazy at the yukata festival when old men wouldn't stop taking photos of me and made me go stand next to the pagent queens.. Me being all sweaty and a gaijin in a yukata and they being all pretty and all. I also went to visit an orphanage last year but apparently that tool 2 years to plan because they just didn't want anything to do with us and were
Worried we wouldn't be able to speak Japanese or would just scarethe children. I'd like to be involved more but there isn't much to do here.

Miss_igirisu
January 24th, 2011, 11:48

Maybe the reason they couldn't see what was wrong with that scene is that they're not constantly on the look out for scenes involving individual gaijin that might - by viewers who are desperate to be offended - be misconstrued as casting aspersions or negative stereotypes on gaijin in general.

But mostly, I just think it is a little bit ironic to be accusing a whole nation of people of racial insensitivity.

That surprises me about your wife. her opinion seems to be relivent to most things we post on here so I've been waiting for her input ever sice you entered the convo.

I'm not desperate to be offended, but having it on tv a lot gets on my nerves after a while. When I was in a pit of stage two then you could
Have accused me of this but even then I was no debito. I like to look into the reasons why things are as they are.

I'm not going as far as you say. I'm
Saying that the media is racially insensitive way too much, beyond a one off event that happened years ago by a stupid boy. I'm saying that we have to sit here and accept that mr James, people blacking up, whatever, is just part of Japanese life. It makes me laugh tht they go crying because they didn't understand something fully and assumed qi were belittling the situation when in fact they were praising them. And funnily enough, someone on japanprobe did actually give his Japanese wifes insight and he said she understood everything and didn't see what the fuss was about. A little tasteless, yeah, but nothing that needs a formal
Complaint.

Miss_igirisu
January 24th, 2011, 11:58
Maybe I'm lucky with my placement, but I'm also lucky enough to be in a position to see the enormous amount of activity that goes in behind the scenes to making the JET Programme work. Perhaps some individual local communities don't value their JETs enough - although I haven't actually experienced that myself - but at a prefectural level, and, as far as I can tell, most of the time at a more local level, there is an enormous investment of time, effort, and money, to make sure that JETs are well looked after, to make sure that they are helping and being used effectively in the classroom, and to make sure that they are well-received by their local communities.

I know that's an unfashionable view on here. And I know that there are frustrating things about living in Japan, and Japanese people are just as capable of being annoying as people from any other part of the world. But I really think it is unhelpful - both to yourself and to people who might come on here trying to find out more about Japan and JET - to project your unhappiness with those things on to either the JET Programme or the nation as a whole.

I'm not saying that I'm not looked after. I'm saying that, for example, on an educational level, I sit at my desk way more than I am used in a class- and I'm a trained teacher. Not that that means I should expect better treatment, but I could be used way more than 15 minutes worth of game or as a conversation partner to the jte for 5 mins to introduce the topic. On a cultural level, a noisy, stuck up little social studies teacher once was
Compaining loudly that Singaporean people can't speak English well. I pointed out that they are the only Asian country to be involved in the jet programme and that when i was there last year I found the general level of English to be almost perfect. He shouted me down saying i didn't know anything. Even if I do say stuff here, people don't listen. It's not the programme's fault. It's just the general attitude to alts. I know people who are treated better, i know people who ate treated much worse. It's unfair of you to look down on people who say bad things about their situation as it's onvious you have little ability to accept that not every situation is like your own.

Miss_igirisu
January 24th, 2011, 12:00
i havent seen or heard anything from bobby since 2007 anyway so I dont know if thats who that cracker miss_i is talking about.

Bob Sapp was always more offensive, barking like a dog and eating photographs of his opponents

The zoo thing was from about a year ago. It was a show with bekki. I also saw him about 6 months ago on the show that gets celebs to sing karaoke. He was using purposefuly crap Japanese and singing some enka making cheap mistakes. It was a real shame. He's not been around in a while though.

Taurus
January 24th, 2011, 12:31
That surprises me about your wife. her opinion seems to be relivent to most things we post on here so I've been waiting for her input ever sice you entered the convo.

But I don't think I mentioned her in this thread, did I? If you're honestly interested in her opinion I can ask her, if you'd like?

It's unfair of you to look down on people who say bad things about their situation as it's onvious you have little ability to accept that not every situation is like your own.

I'm not looking down on people who say bad things about their situation; I'm saying that it isn't helpful for people to make sweepingly negative generalisations about Japan and the Japanese on the basis of their situation. Partly that's because it gives a misleading impression to the people who come on here hoping to learn more about Japan and the JET Programme; and partly it's because I think it just makes whoever is making the generalisations more unhappy by isolating them even further from the people around them.

mothy
January 24th, 2011, 12:46
knee jerk reaction, my bad.
No, no. You were right.

Anyways I would like to thank the UK for producing Ricky Gervais for doing the Golden Globe awards! I despise Hollywood, and was thrilled that he made fun of each and everyone of those smug assholes!!
Doesn't believe celebrities should get paid just for remembering lines but other professions that save lives get paid crap!!

Oh God, that's a stupid opinion.

I agree that some of the jokes ("[the bomb] just bounced off his head", for example) were too far,

No it didn't.

The QI presenters weren’t taking the piss out of him or Japan, however I did have a bit of an “eeeee” when the audience were laughing when they said that a second bomb fell on him. That’s not cool really...

It's fine to laugh at that. We laugh at the misfortune of the individual all the time. It's not like the joke was that there was a second bomb. What people were laughing at was the unluckiness of being hit by both the bombs. Nothing wrong with that- or if you argue that there is something wrong with that, then there's a lot of every day things you need to stop laughing at. Nothing wrong with laughing at the misfortune of an individual. Especially when he survives. Not like he died.

You mean Bobby Ologun?

You obviously don't watch many black comedians on Japanese TV.

Because you haven't met my Japanese wife™.

Daddyatemyfries
January 24th, 2011, 13:34
Which opinion? For Ricky Gervais or my perception of Hollywood?
You can think its silly if you want, but I'm disappointed in how they get paid ridiculous amounts of money, yet people who do more important things like educating people, saving peoples lives, or fighting for their country are treated like crap and get screwed over by the government. Do you honestly think thats fair?
And half those Hollywood celebs in that room he made fun of, supported that rapist Roman Polanski...
I wouldn't trust any one of them to know how to properly sit on a toilet seat.

And last I checked, there weren't that many Black comedians in Japan..or Black celebrities in general. All they got is Ologun, Sapp, Jero, and that dude from the Softbank commercials.

mothy
January 24th, 2011, 13:41
You can think its silly if you want, but I'm disappointed in how they get paid ridiculous amounts of money, yet people who do more important things like educating people, saving peoples lives, or fighting for their country are treated like crap and get screwed over by the government. Do you honestly think thats fair?

Yes it's perfectly fair.
Hollywood makes a lot of money. Why shouldn't people in that industry make a lot of money? The economic power of Hollywood creates a strong tax revenue stream that helps pay for schools, roads, etc..

Do you watch movies? If so then you're part of the reason they make more money. Next time you are about to spend money on entertainment, take that money and mail it to a soldier. And then continue to do that. If you don't do that your opinon on the subject is meaningless and silly.

And last I checked, there weren't that many Black comedians in Japan..or Black celebrities in general. All they got is Ologun, Sapp, Jero, and that dude from the Softbank commercials.

Maybe most black people have enough pride to not want to act like racist stereotypes on TV for the entertainment of the Japanese.

January 24th, 2011, 14:12
Yes it's perfectly fair.
Hollywood makes a lot of money. Why shouldn't people in that industry make a lot of money? The economic power of Hollywood creates a strong tax revenue stream that helps pay for schools, roads, etc..
Do you watch movies? If so then you're part of the reason they make more money. Next time you are about to spend money on entertainment, take that money and mail it to a soldier. And then continue to do that. If you don't do that your opinon on the subject is meaningless and silly.
Maybe most black people have enough pride to not want to act like racist stereotypes on TV for the entertainment of the Japanese.

+1

Daddyatemyfries
January 24th, 2011, 14:18
Yes it's perfectly fair.

Yes I watch movies, but I hardly go to the theaters like I used to in my younger days. I only went to the movies 2x last year to see Avatar(..waste of money 3d imax gave me a headache) and Colored Girls(I have issues with Tyler Perry but he sent these kids to Disney world who faced horrible discrimination so I knew giving him money would help in the long run). Now a days, nothing really interests me from Hollywood, and 9x10 I end up streaming a movie online. My job everyday is helping the very exact people I mentioned search for jobs, who have been laid off and sadly have no computer skills because their previous job didn't require it. We also offer job search seminars and basic computer skills classes. So if Hollywood helps revenue why in the world is California BROKE?! So many people from Cali are moving to the state I currently reside in,because there job market is dying. Same thing goes for NYC, so much filming goes on there, but that twit mayor bloomberg can't get the outer boroughs snow removed for a week, but makes sure Manhattan is up in running. :092:

MixedNuts
January 24th, 2011, 14:34
To be quite honest, and I know this is going to make me sound like an asshole, but I used to be more sympathetic towards Japan about the war and the bombings before I moved here.

mothy
January 24th, 2011, 14:44
@Daddyatemyfries

Why is it broke?

A) Not every movie theatre and DVD rental shop is in California
B) No matter how much money a government makes it can still mismanage it.

You have no idea how the economy works do you? Please do not vote until you take an Economics 101 class.

So Tyler Perry is ok because he sends kids to Disney World? Pretty much every big star in Hollywood does heaps of charity work and donates a great deal of money to charity (not because they're nice but charity donations= tax breaks). Hollywood does a great deal for the unfortunate people in the world. Sorta like the people who you think should get paid more.

Plus entertainment is a valuable service. People who are bored often get themselves into trouble because they do something stupid to entertain themselves. It's part of why community centers and parks are worth funding. There's also the quality of life issue. Good quality of life = happy citizens. Happy citizens = no riots.

And if there aren't these entertainment luzuries, what exactly are people going to buy if they're paid more anyway? It's not like a teacher needs $10 million to put a roof over their heads or food on their table. No. What they would do with that money is buy luxuries. Luxuries provided by the very people you're shitting on. Your thinking on this makes no sense.

And just because you're stealing the entertainment from them instead of paying for it doesn't mean you aren't benefiting from what they give society.

Your belief is stupid.

mothy
January 24th, 2011, 14:46
To be quite honest, and I know this is going to make me sound like an asshole, but I used to be more sympathetic towards Japan about the war and the bombings before I moved here.

Me too. Well not about the war, but the bombings.

Azrael
January 24th, 2011, 15:07
Same thing goes for NYC, so much filming goes on there, but that twit mayor bloomberg can't get the outer boroughs snow removed for a week, but makes sure Manhattan is up in running. :092:

thats because manhattan is one of the worlds cultural and financial centers and the outer boroughs are full of penniless tar babys running around shooting each other because their baby mamas dont love them no more. Why should the mayor waste resources thawing out a bunch of uneducated, unemployed coons. Maybe the snow might help them cool down and stop them from raping anymore white women on the subway.

jboze84
January 24th, 2011, 15:24
Someone say Paul Mooney?

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID7361/images/paul_mooney.jpg

Tarquin
January 24th, 2011, 15:35
Point goes to mothy.
(re: Hollywood)

oh and the youtube video is now private it seems.

Gezora
January 24th, 2011, 16:02
Looking at what passes for humor here, is anyone at all surprised that most Japanese people wouldn't be able to grasp British humor?

WesleyCrusher
January 24th, 2011, 16:08
thats because manhattan is one of the worlds cultural and financial centers and the outer boroughs are full of penniless tar babys running around shooting each other because their baby mamas dont love them no more. Why should the mayor waste resources thawing out a bunch of uneducated, unemployed coons. Maybe the snow might help them cool down and stop them from raping anymore white women on the subway.

one of the best things i ever saw on the NYC subway was a semi-bum running up to some chick, singing Marvin Gaye at her, and then screaming "MAAAAAAN I LOOOOOOOOVE WHITE WOMEN"

MixedNuts
January 24th, 2011, 16:14
did the white woman wet herself?

Miss_igirisu
January 24th, 2011, 16:42
Looking at what passes for humor here, is anyone at all surprised that most Japanese people wouldn't be able to grasp British humor?

This. I was telling my dad about this last night, explaining the situation and he asked me what Japanese people find funny- what their comedy is like. I tried to explain the slapstick, with the funny gestures, and the catchphrases, and it was really hard to make it sound appealing haha. I will say though, the drama Love Shuffle has to be one of the funniest series I have seen. That's the kind of Japanese humor I love.

I spent the day on tap a talk writing, and just saw my words of the screen and .. oh my. I'm sorry for my terrible writing.

mothy
January 24th, 2011, 21:14

I bet a certain yellow woman got a little wet in the panties.

Gezora
January 25th, 2011, 00:16
I bet a certain yellow woman got a little wet in the panties.
:lol:

Tyr
January 25th, 2011, 02:24
I spent a good while today when out walking figuring out how I'll answer the probable question on this, heh

Muffles
January 25th, 2011, 04:20
Well it's not really that hard is it?

Daddyatemyfries
January 25th, 2011, 04:21
@Daddyatemyfries

Why is it broke?

A) Not every movie theatre and DVD rental shop is in California
B) No matter how much money a government makes it can still mismanage it.

You have no idea how the economy works do you? Please do not vote until you take an Economics 101 class.

So Tyler Perry is ok because he sends kids to Disney World? Pretty much every big star in Hollywood does heaps of charity work and donates a great deal of money to charity (not because they're nice but charity donations= tax breaks). Hollywood does a great deal for the unfortunate people in the world. Sorta like the people who you think should get paid more.

Plus entertainment is a valuable service. People who are bored often get themselves into trouble because they do something stupid to entertain themselves. It's part of why community centers and parks are worth funding. There's also the quality of life issue. Good quality of life = happy citizens. Happy citizens = no riots.

And if there aren't these entertainment luzuries, what exactly are people going to buy if they're paid more anyway? It's not like a teacher needs $10 million to put a roof over their heads or food on their table. No. What they would do with that money is buy luxuries. Luxuries provided by the very people you're shitting on. Your thinking on this makes no sense.

And just because you're stealing the entertainment from them instead of paying for it doesn't mean you aren't benefiting from what they give society.

Your belief is stupid.

Ofcouse I know Hollywood is part of the economy, thats basic supply and demand. That still doesn't mean I agree that celebrities should be paid that amount of money. You have your opinions and I have mine, end of story. Now if you'll excuse me, I had something to add to nuts and meelyn's comments

Daddyatemyfries
January 25th, 2011, 04:30

@Jbooze: I saw him 2x in Harlem when I was walking home from school.
Compared to those IQ guys, Paul is controversial as hell lol.

Nope, White women are becoming more bold in NYC it seems =p
iIlObKYwUyI

@Meelyn: Yeah..thats New York for ya...
kuOnDDr1azY I used to ride the train with this guy everyday during college...I'm starting to get home sick now=/

Halloween was the best....
9oW0NhTvYFQ Policemen/Firemen's most hated day ever lol

armchairpatriot
January 25th, 2011, 06:33
Mind you though, a society where you can easily buy a nazi uniform if you want to, and where you can easily broadcast people fooling about in blonde wigs and big fake noses if you want you, is a society with a lot more freedom of speech than certain others.
That Debito bloke pisses me off, if he really wants a country full of "interest groups" who go running to their no-win, no-fee solicitors wailing "dithcwiminathon" every time they lose out, he ought to just move to Britain.

Miss_igirisu
January 25th, 2011, 07:15
There's freedom of speech here because Japanese people have no idea how to have, let alone voice, their own opinions.

Taurus
January 25th, 2011, 08:47
There's freedom of speech here because Japanese people have no idea how to have, let alone voice, their own opinions.

This is the weakest attempt at trolling I've ever seen.

Jojo
January 25th, 2011, 08:49
everythings just one big generalisation for you isnt it?

Miss_igirisu
January 25th, 2011, 09:49
That was actually a half hearted, completely non-serious reply. Glad you liked it.

Scrotty
January 25th, 2011, 10:16
HHhhmmm.... Mods? Ideas?
well, i had this one idea about a buddy cop sitcom where one of the cops is a guy with a big bushy moustache who can do eye-rolling expressions really well and the other cop is the result of a science experiment where 50% of the time he is an adult in a kids body and 50% of the time he is a kid in an adults body. hilarious hijinx ensue!

Do you honestly believe this?
DO YOU HONESTLY BELIEVE THIS?

i'm pretty sure they do it through hilarious t-shirt captions
http://www.omgsoysauce.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/lost-in-translation-t-shirts.jpg

Miss_igirisu
January 25th, 2011, 10:20
Valid point. My students said the other day that they think age pan is better than wakame gohan, and one of my private students said that Korean people shouldn't be allowed into onsens (real quote) so I was very wrong in saying Japanese people can't voice opinions.

mothy
January 25th, 2011, 12:07
Ofcouse I know Hollywood is part of the economy, thats basic supply and demand. That still doesn't mean I agree that celebrities should be paid that amount of money. You have your opinions and I have mine, end of story. Now if you'll excuse me, I had something to add to nuts and meelyn's comments

But your opinion is insanely stupid. Since you're a person who is eligible to vote in my country I can't, for the good of the USA, let this drop. If the people working in the industry that makes a lot of money don't get the money, where is this money supposed to go? Are you suggesting an extremely high "Hollywood" tax? How would you institute it? Would you tax the end product or the income?

and one of my private students said that Korean people shouldn't be allowed into onsens (real quote)

Well that's reasonable enough. No one wants their onsen smelling like dog and kimchi.

Kegger
January 25th, 2011, 13:32
This thread has gone on for 4 pages too many..

My conclusion:
a) I have a lot of sympathy, but Japan milks stuff for as much as its worth
b) political correctness is crazy. Japan gives as good as it gets.
c) we're known for our dry sense of humour, deal with it.
d) Stephen Fry should be prime minister.

kamukamuume
January 25th, 2011, 23:44
finally got around to watching the clip, though the original youtube clip was taken down. thankfully it was re-uploaded by someone else.

the segment was basically good-natured. it seems more like stephen fry and co. were marveling at how incredible the guy's experience must have been than anything. there were no overt expressions of racism and no implications that Japan deserved any of the suffering they went through.

if you ask me, it's another example of japan being hypervigilant about people from other countries talking about them. I remember a bit over a year ago, one of my JTEs found an editorial in a japanese newspaper that was about an american newspaper article. basically, delegates from several countries were attending a summit and hoping to have a chance to have a meeting with obama, who was still relatively new at that point. the american article said something like "japan's prime minister was the loser of the group, as he was unable to secure anything tangible." the japanese editorial summarized this as america calling japan's prime minister "a loser," and my JTE was complaining about this to everyone who would listen for an entire day.

context, context, context. and stop caring so much what other people think about you! all that matters is that you know you're worthwhile, japan (=^▽^=)

Shankerbelle
January 26th, 2011, 00:45
This thread has gone on for 4 pages too many..

My conclusion:
a) I have a lot of sympathy, but Japan milks stuff for as much as its worth
b) political correctness is crazy. Japan gives as good as it gets.
c) we're known for our dry sense of humour, deal with it.

This.

bigredgoofball
January 26th, 2011, 01:15

I've thought this for YEARS. And Rowan Atkinson should be his Deputy PM. He's not doing anything at the moment, right? And he's shown he can occasionally kick people in the teeth if needed.

armchairpatriot
January 26th, 2011, 01:50
Wasn't Rowan Atkinson declared king? I saw this documentary back in 2000...

If we're having a good old "everything controversial about Japan" thread, is it time for the Whales yet?

January 26th, 2011, 01:57

If we're having a good old "everything controversial about Japan" thread, is it time for the Whales yet?

I appreciate that it is different for some people on some level, but I don't really have a problem with the consumption of non-endangered species of whale.

Shankerbelle
January 26th, 2011, 02:01

No silly, it's shark fins.

Oh, wait.

January 26th, 2011, 02:02
No silly, it's shark fins.

That I have a problem with. :|

Shankerbelle
January 26th, 2011, 02:09
That I have a problem with. :|

Gordan Ramsay made a documentary on this a few weeks ago. Japan have been very naughty, along with many, many others in their surrounding waters.

January 26th, 2011, 02:11
Gordan Ramsay made a documentary on this a few weeks ago. Japan have been very naughty, along with many, many others in their surrounding waters.

Indeed? I'll look that up.

I hate the footage of the fins being sliced off and the animals being dumped back into the water to die. If you're going to eat it, eat it all.

Shankerbelle
January 26th, 2011, 02:17
Thats the worst part for me too. Its foul seeing a sea of bloody shark carcasses. the law on it is so lax too. I doubt my explanations would do justice.

Shark Trust (http://www.sharktrust.org/content.asp?did=36754)

I doubt you can watch 4OD out there, but must be on the interwebs somewhere.

Muffles
January 26th, 2011, 02:20
Ooh sounds interesting, thanks Sindy!

Indeed? I'll look that up.
Hey you know what else you're supposed to be looking up..?

January 26th, 2011, 02:24
Hey you know what else you're supposed to be looking up..

Halle Berry's skirt?

Muffles
January 26th, 2011, 02:46
:012:

Shankerbelle
January 26th, 2011, 02:47
Up your skirt?

Daddyatemyfries
January 26th, 2011, 02:58

ALL HAIL OUR KING! ROWAN ATKINSON
8AWHzO2c8gc

Everytime I think of the Whale debate, I remember futurama and the lion on tofu

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/sausagemit/vlcsnap-664401.png

Muffles
January 26th, 2011, 03:00
Up your skirt?
Something I suggested to him ages ago, then something he suggested to me then prick teasingly couldn't find.

January 26th, 2011, 03:03
Something I suggested to him ages ago, then something he suggested to me then prick teasingly couldn't find.

I don't recall you suggesting I take a gander up your frock.

I also don't remember missing anything.

You're a strange, spunky one you are.

bigredgoofball
January 26th, 2011, 03:13
If you're going to eat it, eat it all.
This.

And the problem I have with whale/dolphin hunting is that it's not really necessary for the continued existence of the Japanese seafood industry. Whale meat and products are a tiny part of the seafood Japan consumes yearly, and yet whales are also some of the least-renewable sea creatures in existence. As with all game animals, there needs to be a concerted effort at managing the population of that animal, for future need.

Jordan
January 26th, 2011, 03:34
This.

And the problem I have with whale/dolphin hunting is that it's not really necessary for the continued existence of the Japanese seafood industry. Whale meat and products are a tiny part of the seafood Japan consumes yearly, and yet whales are also some of the least-renewable sea creatures in existence. As with all game animals, there needs to be a concerted effort at managing the population of that animal, for future need.
Mummy I'm scared I think I agree with goof.

Making arbitrary distinctions on what it is and isn't okay to eat is silly but allowing any food source to become extinct because of mis-management would be if anything even dumber.

Tyr
January 26th, 2011, 06:39
I've heard with regards to whale meat that it isn't too popular in Japan, they have to sell it at rock bottom prices and use it for less than A-grade products (dog food, school dinners, etc...) and heavily subsidise the industry.
Not 100% on the truth in this though.

Shankerbelle
January 26th, 2011, 06:41
I've heard with regards to whale meat that it isn't too popular in Japan, they have to sell it at rock bottom prices and use it for less than A-grade products (dog food, school dinners, etc...) and heavily subsidise the industry.
Not 100% on the truth in this though.

Thats exactly what they say about the shark meat, and that is more profitable to take the fins and leave the flesh.

January 26th, 2011, 06:43
Thats exactly what they say about the shark meat, and that is more profitable to take the fins and not use the flesh.

Which is odd, because shark steak isn't bad.

bigredgoofball
January 26th, 2011, 06:59
Which is odd, because shark steak isn't bad.
And sharskin suits look pretty nifty, too.

Miss_igirisu
January 26th, 2011, 08:02
finally got around to watching the clip, though the original youtube clip was taken down. thankfully it was re-uploaded by someone else.

the segment was basically good-natured. it seems more like stephen fry and co. were marveling at how incredible the guy's experience must have been than anything. there were no overt expressions of racism and no implications that Japan deserved any of the suffering they went through.

if you ask me, it's another example of japan being hypervigilant about people from other countries talking about them. I remember a bit over a year ago, one of my JTEs found an editorial in a japanese newspaper that was about an american newspaper article. basically, delegates from several countries were attending a summit and hoping to have a chance to have a meeting with obama, who was still relatively new at that point. the american article said something like "japan's prime minister was the loser of the group, as he was unable to secure anything tangible." the japanese editorial summarized this as america calling japan's prime minister "a loser," and my JTE was complaining about this to everyone who would listen for an entire day.

context, context, context. and stop caring so much what other people think about you! all that matters is that you know you're worthwhile, japan (=^▽^=)

Totally agree. I'm starting to wonder if explaining it as "British people don't say "eeeeeeeeee" like you do. We laugh instead." Perhaps that would be better.

Also, - Jeremy Clarkson for PM. Get it right.

and- at my school's bonenkai we had lobster meat with the still living (and almost walking) head and top body lying next to it. People couldn't understand why I refused to eat it.

Jordan
January 26th, 2011, 08:50
Also, - Jeremy Clarkson for PM. Get it right.

Such a shame, we got along relatively well until now, but I think we just became mortal enemies.

bigredgoofball
January 26th, 2011, 09:17
Such a shame, we got along relatively well until now, but I think we just became mortal enemies.
Agreed... Minister of Automotive Development, *maybe*... IF he gets to take The Stig.

Antonath
January 26th, 2011, 10:17
Yes kids, it's the story that keeps on coming (http://www.japantoday.com/category/politics/view/maehara-angered-by-bbc-show-on-a-bomb-survivor). I'm beginning to understand something about the Japanese: they won't let anything drop. Every politician will have their own press conference to say exactly what everyone else has said, even if it has nothing to do with their remit. News stories are guaranteed to re-appear a month later, usually with no new information. It's like a country full of nagging wives (no offense to the women on the forum. I'm sure none of you nag).

Also, Stephen Fry for PM, the whole Top Gear team to share transport (press conferences would be much more interesting with all of them up there. More likely to go up in a ball of flames, too).

Antonath
January 26th, 2011, 10:17
Yet more double postage.

Kegger
January 27th, 2011, 15:47

+1. Clarkson's a knobend.

bigredgoofball
January 28th, 2011, 02:05
And the hits just keep on rolling...

From Mainichi:

Nagasaki to ask BBC to broadcast documentary film on A-bomb survivor - The Mainichi Daily News (http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/20110127p2g00m0dm097000c.html)

Jordan
January 28th, 2011, 02:24
I hope they do, I'd be interested to see it and documentaries are what BBC4 is for anyway.

Muffles
January 28th, 2011, 02:44
There's a documentary about Justin Lee Collins in Japan on channel 5 at 9 today!

January 28th, 2011, 03:18
There's a documentary about Justin Lee Collins in Japan on channel 5 at 9 today!

You have an essay to write, Missy. No tv until it's finished.

Muffles
January 28th, 2011, 03:52
Screw the essay my head hurts. I'll do it on the train back to uni tommorow/after work on Saturday.

January 28th, 2011, 03:54
Screw the essay my head hurts. I'll do it on the train back to uni tommorow/after work on Saturday.

If you screw the essay more than your head will hurt.

bigredgoofball
January 28th, 2011, 05:59
If you screw the essay more than your head will hurt.
Yyyeeaahhh.... NOT where you want to end up with a papercut.

Antonath
January 28th, 2011, 09:21
And the hits just keep on rolling...

From Mainichi:

Nagasaki to ask BBC to broadcast documentary film on A-bomb survivor - The Mainichi Daily News (http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/20110127p2g00m0dm097000c.html)
I see two options:

1) show it at 3 am and claim they were confused by the time difference.

2) make their own and have it presented by the Stig.

Miss_igirisu
January 28th, 2011, 09:46
Oh this is all way too silly.

But it's not like anyone listens to japan anyway. They requested obama to visit hiroshima and he didn't.

Kegger
January 28th, 2011, 09:47
How stupid.

Scrotty
January 28th, 2011, 11:37
:012:
this is your warning, use my smilie again and be banned

Tarquin
January 28th, 2011, 12:34
Ugh "British People don't understand about the atomic bombings"
What bullshit. Like Japan knows about the history of other countries.

this whole thing is getting silly now. The BBC and the production company apologised, move the hell on.

Miss_igirisu
January 28th, 2011, 13:02
You know that famous drawing of the slave ships showing how many people were crammed in? I once showed that to my ex, a supposedly highly educated guy, and he laughed and said it was made up.

mothy
January 28th, 2011, 13:16
I laughed and think that you ever had a boyfriend is made up.

Miss_igirisu
January 28th, 2011, 13:36
I did. But didn't marry him for fear of ending up bitter and depressed like you :-)

mothy
January 28th, 2011, 17:20
It's not the marriage that does that.

Jordan
January 28th, 2011, 19:33
I dunno, if showing this documentary is what the BBC can do to be back in the good books they should just show it on BBC4, their documentaries channel that no one watches anyway.

mothy
January 28th, 2011, 23:37
BBC should really not care about what Japan thinks.

They especially shouldn't care what some Japanese bigots think. Unles they're ready to care what I think as well.

Tarquin
February 2nd, 2011, 14:07
And now it's Mexico's turn:

BBC News - Top Gear sparks Mexico complaints (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12338053)

Miss_igirisu
February 2nd, 2011, 14:58
Haha I saw that! What with that and the "cuts" being replaced with a naughty word in the news, the BBC isn't doing so well is it.

Taurus
February 2nd, 2011, 15:15
And now it's Mexico's turn:

BBC News - Top Gear sparks Mexico complaints (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12338053)

The presenters, known for their edgy jibes,

Lol.

Antonath
February 2nd, 2011, 15:24
If they hadn't mentioned the ambassador specifically, they'd probably have got away with it.

Tarquin
February 2nd, 2011, 15:42
They probably DID mention him on purpose as a reference to the Japanese thing.

Miss_igirisu
February 2nd, 2011, 15:46
Jeremy clarkson for prime minister...

Kegger
February 2nd, 2011, 16:11
Jeremy clarkson for prime minister...

Dear lord, NO!

Stephen Fry. This was already discussed above >_>

Miss_igirisu
February 2nd, 2011, 16:35
Douwe Osinga's Projects: Google Battle (http://douweosinga.com/projects/googlebattle?q1=jeremy+clarkson+prime+minister&q2=stephen+fry+prime+minister)

Jordan
February 2nd, 2011, 18:58
Clarkson for PM campaign under int'l pressure (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12338053)

Miss_igirisu
February 2nd, 2011, 21:11
Isn't that just what Tarq posted?

Kegger
February 2nd, 2011, 21:15
psht, proves nothing. :P. Jeremy clarkson only has more google hits due to the silly comments he makes :P

bigredgoofball
February 3rd, 2011, 02:25
psht, proves nothing. :P. Jeremy clarkson only has more google hits due to the silly comments he makes :P
And because, quite often, he can be shooped out of those amazing car pictures, and replaced with an old picture of Sporty Spice.

Miss_igirisu
February 3rd, 2011, 07:09
Why would anyone want to do that?

Antonath
February 7th, 2011, 09:03
Now Japan has offended Mexico (http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/fuji-tv-apologizes-to-mexico-over-drama-on-diplomat).

I'm confused. Does this mean Britain > Japan >= Mexico, or is my insult math wrong?

Miss_igirisu
February 7th, 2011, 09:34
Now Japan has offended Mexico (http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/fuji-tv-apologizes-to-mexico-over-drama-on-diplomat).

I'm confused. Does this mean Britain > Japan >= Mexico, or is my insult math wrong?

Mexico is the two time victim, and Britain the two time offender so
Mexico>japan> britian

Also love the southpark comment on the link

Antonath
February 7th, 2011, 09:41
See, I was putting Britain as being greatest because we have a sense of humor.

I don't know how Japan hasn't already exploded with outrage just from knowing southpark exists.

Tarquin
February 7th, 2011, 09:51
http://southparkstudios-intl.mtvnimages.com/shared/sps/images/shows/southpark/vertical_video/import/season_03/sp_0310_09_v6.jpg?width=480

point.

February 7th, 2011, 11:14
http://southparkstudios-intl.mtvnimages.com/shared/sps/images/shows/southpark/vertical_video/import/season_03/sp_0310_09_v6.jpg?width=480

point.

That is the favorite episode of every Japanese person I know.

Tarquin
February 7th, 2011, 11:27
It’s only cos of the pokemon. They can’t understand the english either.
Or they love the Anti-American sentiments in it.

終わった米国!終わった米国!終わった米国!終わった米国!

Miss_igirisu
February 7th, 2011, 11:32
Isn't it southpark that has the episode eith the "weird alien code" that's actually Japanese?

Tarquin
February 7th, 2011, 18:39
Don’t think so. Maybe in one episode.

Re: Top Gear vs Mexico. I’m watching said episode now, and within the first 10 minutes they have decimated the Germans and politcally offended the Aussies FAR more than they did the mexicans.

IF anyone should be complaining (and they shouldn’t) it should be the Aussies. SPOILERS: I mean the Top Gear Australians arrived in a PRISON VAN (Clarkson: Thought it might be nice for them to come back into the country the way they left it)

Miss_igirisu
February 7th, 2011, 18:53
I love the episode from years ago where they battle the Germans.

Tarquin
February 7th, 2011, 18:57
It’s basically the same vs. Top Gear Down Under.

The mexican bit just came on, totally harmless, but mentioning the ambassador wasn’t gonna do them any favours...

Antonath
March 10th, 2011, 09:35
Dear gods, this is still an issue (http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/bbc-apologizes-for-its-playful-take-on-double-a-bomb-victim).

Miss_igirisu
March 10th, 2011, 09:44
Oh ffs.

Antonath
March 10th, 2011, 11:01
That was my reaction as well. I'm not sure there's words in the english language to express just how dumb this is.

Antonath
March 10th, 2011, 11:02

Kegger
March 10th, 2011, 14:28
Japan. Go figure.

Tarquin
March 10th, 2011, 16:13
I'm sure they apologised already?

Miss_igirisu
March 10th, 2011, 16:33
That was people from Hiroshima. I guess Nagasaki needs one too :roll:

Jordan
March 10th, 2011, 19:20
It's just politics, the mayor of Nagasaki can't be seen to be doing nothing about Stephen Fry's horrible crimes.

Antonath
March 10th, 2011, 20:15
It's just politics, the mayor of Nagasaki can't be seen to be doing nothing about Stephen Fry's horrible crimes.
God forbid a Japanese politician should avoid jumping on a bandwagon, even if it left months ago.

Easy_money
March 11th, 2011, 23:52
God forbid a Japanese politician should avoid jumping on a bandwagon, even if it left months ago.

:lol:

Antonath
July 20th, 2011, 15:06
Yes, kids, it's the story that just. Won't. Die! (http://www.japantoday.com/category/entertainment/view/film-on-double-a-bomb-victim-set-for-british-debut).

Tarquin
July 20th, 2011, 15:10
Yep, I saw that and thought "really? you guys have bigger problems as a nation right now."

Scrotty
July 26th, 2011, 13:53
not news: jerperneez butthurt
news: q1 lol
fark: the documentary is called 'the unluckiest man in the world'

AM I DOING IT RIGHT?!?

charmed_23
July 26th, 2011, 21:16
Speaking of QI, they are heading to Australia to tape some episodes. They are selling tickets, the cheapest ('restricted view') are $99, and the good seats are $199....ugh.

Sirrus
July 26th, 2011, 23:46
‘The bottom line is, there shouldn’t be nuclear (technology) in our world. As a former naval architect, I see our current technology and materials are not sufficient for the ‘peaceful use’ of nuclear energy, and as a result, accidents will continue to happen,’’I find it odd how you can hear this message of "we need to get the world behind us" by so many Japanese on issues like this. Trying to sound very international but when it comes to handling domestic issues like immigration and the potential of having to deal with more foreigners in their country, there is a sudden drop in enthusiasm it seems.

Antonath
July 27th, 2011, 08:57
Japan isn't trying to get the world behind it, it's telling the rest of the world that they're wrong and Japan (as usual) is right. Getting the world behind you involves actually having a reasoned argument for people to support other than "nuclear's bad, m'kay?".

Page
July 27th, 2011, 13:36
Goddamn country and their goddamn spewing. Same shit different asshole. It's not even the topic at hand, just.. the way they're talking about it and dealing with it.

japan y u dum